• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 135
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 88683 times and has 134 replies Next Thread
RobertDonald

Swordfighting Misc Q&A Reply to this Post

Let me tell you why I am writing this.

A few weeks ago, I started this game. I read up all the information on swordfighting: Jack's post, Tedv's post, Complicated's guide, and various other stuff. Even with all this information and my strong experience from Puzzle Fighter, there were many unanswered questions in my mind. This guide is an attempt to answer those questions.

Some of this stems from controlled experiments. Some of it stems from theory. Some of it stems from guesses. That's probably the largest part. If anyone wishes to perform controlled experiments to either confirm or deny any of this, please do so and report the results.

My hope is that this post will bring about debate and testing on these matters.

For the background this comes against, read these excellent posts:
Tedv's - sword patterns
Complicated's - stacking strategy
Jack's - strike placement

Q. What is the delay between me breaking stuff, and my opponent getting hit?

There is both a time delay and a piece delay.

The time delay is short and effectively random. It's probably caused by the delays between updates of the server by your client which occur every five seconds. The piece delay is one piece. That is, if your opponent breaks something and you very slowly drop the piece you are on, you will get hit after you drop ANOTHER piece.

But if you're quickly dropping stuff with spacebar and your opponent breaks something, you might get in as much as 5 dropped pieces before you're hit by the attack because of the time delay.

Another interesting rule is: one attack per drop. Thus, if your opponent is playing very very slowly, and you quickly break 10 separate small attacks while he drops one piece... Well, it'll be a LONG time before your 11th attack, the large one, will hit him. It'll be 11 of his long slow drops.

Q. What do I get when I break a 3x3? What about a 4x4?

3x3 on a single: 2x4 or 4x2 (sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal)
3x3 on a double: 3x6
3x3 on a triple: 3x9

4x4 on a single: 3x5
4x4 on a double: 3x10

Q. How do I send a strike down someone's 4th column?
(background: if the 4th column fills up, you lose. The game will not place strikes in the 4th column unless it has no other choice.)

There are two ways. One is to have blocks at the top of the screen. If you have a block at the very top of the screen, a strike cannot pass through it. The game will therefore not place a strike above it. So for example, if you have blocks at the very top of the screen in 1-2 and 5-6, a 2x4 strike would go through your center.

Thus, it's generally a bad idea to leave blocks at the top of your screen. It invites an instakill.

The other way is much more important and complicated.
Suppose you do a chain. On the single, you break a 2x3. On the double, you break a 2x2. On the triple, you break a 2x5.

Now, the first 2x3 will be placed in either 1-2, 2-3, or 5-6. Let's say it goes into 1-2. The second attack will be a 2x4, and it can only go into 5-6. The only remaining place for your third strike, which is a 2x15, is 3-4. So you send a huge strike down your opponent's center, instakilling him.

But wait! What if the first strike was placed in 2-3? Then the second strike would be placed in 5-6, and the third strike would be... nowhere. Your third strike would be wasted.

three 2xNs: 50% chance of 4th column, 50% chance of waste.

What about if you break a 3x4 on a single, and a 3x5 on the double?
The 3x4 drops into 1-3, then the 3x10 will drop into 4-6, the only remaining space.

two 3xNs: 100% 4th column

What if you break a 2x3 on the single, then a 3x4 on the double?
If the 2x3 drops in 1-2 or 2-3, the 3x8 will have to drop through the 4th column. But if the 2x3 drops in 5-6, the 3x8 will drop in 1-3.

2xN then 3xN: 67% 4th column

Now, one of the more complicated cases:

You break a 2x2 on the single, 2x3 on the double, and 2x5 on the triple. But breaking a 2x2 on a single results in a 1x4, which only takes up one column. If it drops in 2 or 6, a column 4 sword is assured. If it drops in 1, you'll get swords in 2-3 and 5-6. Similar for 3.

But what if it drops in 5? Then the 2x6 drops in 2-3 half the time, which leaves no space for the last sword! WASTE!

1x4 then 2xN then 2xN: 50% 4th column, 10% waste.

So put them all together, and a few more cases:
two 3xNs: . . . . . . . . . . 100% 4th column
2xN then 3xN: . . . . . . . 67% 4th column
1x4 then 3xN: . . . . . . . 60% 4th column
1x4 then 2xN then 2xN: 50% 4th column, 10% waste
three 2xNs: . . . . . . . . . 50% 4th column, 50% waste
2xN then 1x4 then 2xN: 44% 4th column, 11% waste
two 1x4s then 2xN: . . . 20% 4th column
3xN then 2xN: . . . . . . . 0% 4th column

However, all this assumes that you break no more than 1 block at each stage of the chain.
Perhaps you break more than one, as happens all the time in stick vs stick.

Q. If I break more than one block at once, without a chain, which strike is placed first?

The strike closest to the breaker is placed first. For example:

(image from Sword Fighting Combos by jacksparrow)

In this, a 2x2 and a 3x2 horizontal are broken at the same stage, the double. What happens? The 2x2 is closer to the breaker. It produces a 2x4 vertical strike. The 3x2 should produce a 6x2 horizontal strike. But the 2x4 drops first and blocks the 6x2 horizontal strike at the halfway point.

Q. What happens to wasted strikes?

If a strike cannot be placed, it is completely wasted. It does not add to the length of strikes already placed; it does not drop on top of other vertical strikes; it does not turn into sprinkles.

This can be a substantial factor in stick vs stick, since many of your larger attacks can end up completely wasted.

Q. Do horizontal blocks ever produce vertical strikes?

Jack's post talks about horizontal strikes that are effectively longer than 6 wide (the width of the screen) but does not answer this question.

A horizontal strike that is effectively 12 wide will turn into a 12 high vertical strike. A horizontal strike that is effectively more than 12 wide will turn into more than 12 high (though this is rather larger than the screen.) Any width smaller than 12 will remain horizontal.

For example, a tripled 4x3 block will produce a 3x12 vertical strike, and a bingoed 3x2 block will produce a 2x12 vertical strike.

Q. What set of swords is the best for PvP Sea Battle and Team Brawl?

It is important to use compatible weapons, whether they be skull daggers or scimitars.
There are two criteria for compatibility:
1) Different color on the sides.
2) Different color in the center.

For example, a red-red scimitar has blue on the sides. A red-red skull dagger also has blue on the sides. These would not be good to use together in team brawl.
A compatible sword with your red-red scimitar might be, for example, a blue-orange skull dagger. This skull has red on the side (to the scimi's blue) and blue-yellow in the center (to the scimi's green.)

These different colors cause alternating layers on the teamed opponent's board, making them harder to dig through and exploit for attacks.

Incidentally this is also somewhat true for people who use multiple weapons and switch between them in 2 out of 3 matches. There's no point in switching from one scimitar to another if they have similar color weaknesses.

On another note, the value of swords like the poniard, the cleaver, and especially the stiletto goes up considerably in team brawl. However, these have problems when it comes down to the last man standing.

Q. How can I use my opponent's attacks against him?

Sprinkle triggered and strike triggered attacks:

You can place breakers so that when your opponent sprinkles you, he will cause you to break things. It's not too hard to turn the intial sprinkle-triggered break into a big chain with some good breaker placement.

For example, suppose you have a 2x3 green block at the bottom of 3-4, and you're against a red-red scimitar. A red-red scimitar drops green in the center. You place a green breaker at height 4 in column 5. When your opponent sprinkles your 4th column, the block automatically breaks and causes chains due to breakers stored in columns 5 and 3.

Strike triggering is also doable in many cases, but can be tricky due to the digging effect of strikes. It's best done against strikes that are somewhat vertically monochrome. For example, you can trigger reliably off the third column against a skull dagger at height 1 and 2 because the skull has three of the same color in its strike.

Sprinkle and strike triggering frees you up to build much higher than normal, knowing that your attack will not get buried. However, a well placed horizontal can still destroy you.

Turning your opponent's attacks into blocks:

You generally want your opponent's attacks to connect with what you already have, and add to your chains. This means placement of gems in anticipation of your opponent's sprinkle pattern. For example, suppose you're using a skull dagger against a red-red scimitar. You decide to form a little block in 1-2, but you let your opponent do half the work. The scimitar drops blue in column 1, so you put 3 blue gems vertically in column 2. Now when the scimitar sprinkles, he creates a 2x3 block. For good measure, you put, say, a green gem and a blue breaker on top of column 2. Now the blue breaker can get triggered if he sprinkles too high... or you might be able to set up the green to sprinkle trigger and break the 2x3 in a chain.

This is just an example of what can be done. However, don't make the mistake of walling too high and expecting your opponent to fill the whole thing in. This isn't puzzle fighter, and a heavily chained 2x3 is just as good as, or better than, a huge singled 2x9.

Q. How is Swordfighting different from Puzzle Fighter? (Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo)

- SF has no diamond.
The diamond is the piece in PF that breaks all of one color. Not having a diamond means chains in SF can more easily be buried, never to be broken. Also, PF's regular diamonds every 25 pieces gave an emphasis on timing and speed largely lacking in SF.

- Chains in SF are multiplicative, not additive as in PF.
In PF, each chain gave an additive bonus to attack damage. In SF, it multiplies the chained attacks. This creates an emphasis on refusing to break blocks except at the end of long chains that is completely absent from PF.

- In SF, sprinkles cannot instakill.
Once it is filled to height 10, the 4th column receives no more sprinkles. (I have not yet determined whether these sprinkles are directed to other columns, or simply wasted.) This allows strategies that would be utterly ridiculous in PF, such as stacking your 4th column within one space of the top with breakers while building stuff on this sides. (This strategy is rather easy to strike trigger chains with, by the way. This is probably because the breakers don't get destroyed by strikes.)

- In SF, gems above the top of the screen are lost forever.
This can be very annoying for PF players, though it makes no large changes to strategy. PF player might be within 1 from the top of his screen and see a gem consisting of two red breakers coming up. Thinking that they will break on each other even though one is above the top of the screen, he'll simply drop them and die rather than moving or flipping them horizontally.

- SF has no defense.
In PF, attacks do twice as much damage as in SF (excluding chain effects and 3xN blocks.) However, people can defend from attacks by breaking stuff right before they get attacked, though defense is only half effective. SF lacks this system. Thus SF is more about gradually filling someone's screen with trash rather than instakilling them when they don't have defense.

- SF has no height bonus.
In PF, things broken near the top of the screen did more damage than things broken at the bottom. This forced people to live dangerously, build high, and go for instakills. SF lacks this.

- SF has strikes, PF just has sprinkles.

Copyright 2004 Robert Donald

[Edit 16 Apr 2004, changed explanation for sprinkles not instakilling, credit to Aiziril for pointing this out]
[Edit 22 Apr 2004, added 5 second delay info to first question]
[Edit 26 Apr 2004, added question about wasted strikes]
[Edit 3 May 2004, added question about horizontal to vertical strikes]
[Edit 4 April 2006 - Demeter: new link for Complicated's stacking strategy]
----------------------------------------
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Edit 19 times, last edit by Demeter at Apr 3, 2006 5:30:19 PM]
[Apr 7, 2004 9:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Roughness Reply to this Post

The 3x3 and 4x4 has been tested by controlled experiments. The rest has not, though it fits with all observations so far.

This is a first draft. I'll add screenshots to the strike triggering section as soon as I find an image host.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Apr 7, 2004 9:39:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

Re: Roughness Reply to this Post

RobertDonald wrote: 
Q. How do I send a strike down someone's 4th column?

THANK YOU
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Apr 7, 2004 11:56:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LaughingCow

Re: Swordfighting Misc Q&A Reply to this Post

RobertDonald wrote: 

Actually, it's a 67% chance of 4th column. The first sword can choose 1-2, 2-3 or 5-6 and only 2-3 leads to waste. With either of the other two you get all three swords.
Jhovall
Carpenter Extraordinaire, Blacksmith Extraordinairer
Midnight Ocean
[Apr 7, 2004 12:56:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.yellow5.com/pokey [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

LaughingCow wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 

Actually, it's a 67% chance of 4th column. The first sword can choose 1-2, 2-3 or 5-6 and only 2-3 leads to waste. With either of the other two you get all three swords.

Untrue. Suppose the first strike goes in 5-6. Then the second
strike can go in 2-3, causing WASTE, or in 1-2, causing a 4th column.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 7, 2004 1:10:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Copyright 2004 Robert Donald

Hahaha!

Going to sue everyone who quotes you then?

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Apr 8, 2004 5:55:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Bistronaut

Very nice post!

One question:
RobertDonald wrote: 

Q. If I break more than one block at once, without a chain, which strike is placed first?

The strike closest to the breaker is placed first. For example:

(image from Sword Fighting Combos by jacksparrow)

In the picture, the horizontal green block gets turned into a very large vertical strike. Is this sill the case? I thought that large horizontal swords just remained large horizontal swords since the changes that Peghead detailed in his post.
Bredbeard - Sailmaster of Easily Distracted
Member of Silver Dawn
[Apr 8, 2004 6:43:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Bistronaut wrote: 
Very nice post!

One question:

In the picture, the horizontal green block gets turned into a very large vertical strike. Is this sill the case? I thought that large horizontal swords just remained large horizontal swords since the changes that Peghead detailed in his post.

This picture is from way back in 2003. Horizontal swords now remain
horizontal swords. I couldn't find another more recent picture
to answer the question with.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 8, 2004 3:23:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

- In SF, gems above the top of the screen are lost forever.

This is the SINGLE most frustrating part of the SF puzzle- that you can lose breakers above the screen when forced to play a double-breaker or a block whilst your piece is vertical.

Also, PF's regular diamonds every 25 pieces gave an emphasis on timing and speed largely lacking in SF.

Untrue. Speed is VERY important in PvP games, where you want to fit in many many more attacks than your opponent, and hopefully build and develop your screen faster than the incoming attacks. Timing is also very important in 1v1 duels, as you want to be the first to attack, but you ALSO want to attack as devastatingly as possible. If you can do both, then you're likely to have won on the first attack, a sense in which timing is very important. This also applies in XvsY brawls/battles, where you want to develop your combo as much as possible, but avoid having it ruined or covered by incoming attacks.

What this distinction between the two means to me is that SF in Yohoho is about reading your opponent, and playing the game relative to them and not some absolute standard. It still has the positive qualities you mentioned, but the need for them is determined purely by how your opponent is playing :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 8, 2004 7:08:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
SimpleD

54x wrote: 

Untrue. Speed is VERY important in PvP games, where you want to fit in many many more attacks than your opponent, and hopefully build and develop your screen faster than the incoming attacks. Timing is also very important in 1v1 duels, as you want to be the first to attack, but you ALSO want to attack as devastatingly as possible. If you can do both, then you're likely to have won on the first attack, a sense in which timing is very important. This also applies in XvsY brawls/battles, where you want to develop your combo as much as possible, but avoid having it ruined or covered by incoming attacks.

I'd tend to disagree, sure at the extreme speed is more important. If I'm placing two pieces every time you place one, I'm likely to win. But sadly the large randomness of breaker pieces in Puzzle Pirates, compounded by the fact that you never see your opponents board, means SF'ing is a matter of guess work. Pacing is just a matter of getting lucky, as you never know where your opponent is.

Whats more annoying is that playing faster can often be as big a disadvantage, especially if you run into a stretch of no breakers. I've found myself often dying not because something hit me, but because I simply didn't get a breaker, and run into a stretch with no breakers before my opponent did, and been caught up top. In games like Toki and PF timing and pacing were far more important. I think its a valid point and one of the glaring weaknesses of the current sword fighting model.

-Complicated
[Apr 10, 2004 10:31:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm not so sure I agree with you there, after all, the current model "punsishes" people for getting over-ambitious and trying to build TOO huge a combo by not giving you breakers on a regular basis. I find this to be a good thing- it teaches you to be somewhat more defensive and to stash away breakers for when you need them.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

I think it would be a benefit to have a more "formal" swordfighting option. Call it fencing. The game setup would allow you to specify how often you get breakers (but not the colors or if they would be double-breakers), which would be a definite change to the gameplay.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Apr 10, 2004 7:08:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Indeed. It would be, pun unintentional, a nice change of pace.
from Midnight.
[Apr 10, 2004 7:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

54x wrote: 
I'm not so sure I agree with you there, after all, the current model "punsishes" people for getting over-ambitious and trying to build TOO huge a combo by not giving you breakers on a regular basis. I find this to be a good thing- it teaches you to be somewhat more defensive and to stash away breakers for when you need them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Take a step back and think about what you've just said! Teaching you to be defensive is a good thing?! I think you are mistaking over-ambitious with ambitious and "too huge a combo" with a good combo. The current model, as you say, punishes people who make a GOOD opening combo when it doesn't create a breaker for a long time. I don't consider myself OVER-ambitious, I tend to try to create bingos or triples mainly, which can take 3/4 of my screen sometimes (if I had to wait for breakers while setting it up) and then if I don't get the breaker I need, I just fill up, and poof. What does this teach me? This teaches me that I shouldn't create good combos, I should create crappy 1/2 screen combos, small triples, big doubles, woo hoo, that would make the game of swordfighting FUN!

I don't think this is a good thing. Toning down the game of swordfighting into a match of two guys both defending but never attacking is boring and can take forever, with no skill really ending up important. This match would end with whoever got luckiest with breakers at the right moment as it would probably slowly reach up to the top and one person might clear and the other doesnt. Yeah....
-TK
[Apr 11, 2004 3:39:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Ummm, I don't really think it's that bad. It results in the occasional freak knockout, but that happens when you're in a random game. Perhaps it would be nice if the game ensured you had a reasonable chance to get at least two or three breakers in the time it takes to fill the board, sure, but I think there's something to be said for the fact that swordfighting doesn't rely on regular timing. (besides, that'd be really weird and unnatural, there'd be a likelyhood that you'd both break at the same time more often than not)
from Midnight.
[Apr 11, 2004 9:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Needs testing Reply to this Post

This is the question that most needs testing. I suggest the horizontal block below vertical block method, but obviously others need to be tried to get reliable data. With others it'll be necessary to observe precisely which strike drops onto the screen first.

I based the answer to this question off a single screenshot. More data is definitely required.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 14, 2004 2:00:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Re: Needs testing Reply to this Post

RobertDonald wrote: 

I did the horizontal + vertical test. Every time the breaker was next to the 2x2, the vertical fell first and helped block the horizontal. Every time the breaker was next to the 3x2, the horizontal fell first and the vertical fell on top of it. I also tried placing the breaker simultaneously on top of a 3x2 and on the side of a 2x3. In this case, the horizontal came out first.

I also tried the experiment with a 2x2 connected to a 2x3. When the breaker was closer to the 2x3, the 2x3 fell first. When the breaker was closer to the 2x2, the 1x4 fell first. So I think this rule is pretty much confirmed.

Still need to figure out the exact rule when the breaker is equally close to both blocks. Does the one below take priority over the one to the side? Or does the one further left take priority? (In the one simultaneous break I did, the horizontal was both below the breaker, and jutting slightly further to the left than the 2x3) I'm going to guess "left then below then above then right of the breaker" as the hypothetical rule. It's on the to-test-later list.

Also need to figure out the rules when you simultaneous break using multiple breakers.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 14, 2004 6:52:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

RobertDonald wrote: 
This allows strategies that would be utterly ridiculous in PF, such as stacking your 4th column within one space of the top with breakers while building stuff on this sides. (This strategy is rather easy to strike trigger chains with, by the way. This is probably because the breakers don't get destroyed by strikes.)

Wrong.

Both horizontal strikes and 1x4s can break into the 4th column. Indeed, Horizontals most likely WILL break your breakers, as they tend to strike in the lowest available rows above any solid blocks you've built.

Nice guide.. but can I point out how utterly pretentious it is to put "Copyright" at the bottom? I mean come on...
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Apr 14, 2004 7:52:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

AizIril wrote: 

Nice guide.. but can I point out how utterly pretentious it is to put "Copyright" at the bottom? I mean come on...

Would you like to buy this Swordfighting guide I just wrote? $10 and you'll be an ULTIMATE MASTER through overanalysis!

Copyright 2004 Rubby Inc.
[Apr 14, 2004 8:05:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kuibbles

Agreeing on the Copyright... especially when you've also asked that folks help contribute/test/confirm information for it. *cough* *cough*

"Hi, I'm writing a new book that will be mine. And only mine. Care to help write a pieces of poetry for it? :p"

~Kuibbles
"Fall seven times, stand up eight." - Unknown

"Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people." - Unknown
[Apr 14, 2004 8:30:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Lay off a bit guys. He's probably used to writing websites and stuff where it's assumed that your content is free domain unless you put up a copyright notice. I think the message he's trying to send is that he wants control over anyone reusing his conclusions, which is fair enough to a certain extent...
from Midnight.
[Apr 14, 2004 8:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

54x wrote: 
Lay off a bit guys. He's probably used to writing websites and stuff where it's assumed that your content is free domain unless you put up a copyright notice. I think the message he's trying to send is that he wants control over anyone reusing his conclusions, which is fair enough to a certain extent...

Eh, information isn't copyrightable, just the exact text. Feel free to re-use the information or conclusions, or re-post entirely with express permission, or quote freely with proper credit to author. Copyrighting FAQs and similar documents is just a hedge in case some company tries to re-publish the text as a "strategy guide" and make a buck off it... not that it's likely for a game as small as puzzle pirates, but it's actually surprisingly common for more popular games.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by RobertDonald at Apr 14, 2004 10:51:08 AM]
[Apr 14, 2004 10:51:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

AizIril wrote: 
RobertDonald wrote: 
This allows strategies that would be utterly ridiculous in PF, such as stacking your 4th column within one space of the top with breakers while building stuff on this sides.
Both horizontal strikes and 1x4s can break into the 4th column. Indeed, Horizontals most likely WILL break your breakers, as they tend to strike in the lowest available rows above any solid blocks you've built.

As far as I know, a 1x4 cannot hit the 4th column unless it has nowhere else to go. I've never seen a counter-example, but if you're sure about this, take a screenshot next time you see it. In regards for your objection, I could put "generally don't get destroyed by strikes" instead, but I'd prefer to leave it how it is. It conveys meaning that only lawyers and total nitpickers would fail to understand.

A 6x2 horizontal will at most destroy two breakers in this scheme, out of the possible 12 you put in the 4th column.

Anyway, the parenthetical aside was merely an example of the perversity which not being able to be instakilled by sprinkles can allow. Not meant to be understood as the #1 top tier strategy.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 14, 2004 11:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bistronaut

RobertDonald wrote: 
Eh, information isn't copyrightable, just the exact text.

A lot of people don't understand that point about copyright law. Kudos for being informed, RobertDonald!

RobertDonald wrote: 
Feel free to re-use the information or conclusions, or quote with proper credit to author, or re-post with express permission. Copyrighting FAQs and similar documents is just a hedge in case some company tries to re-publish the text as a "strategy guide" and make a buck off it... not that it's likely for a game as small as puzzle pirates, but it's actually surprisingly common for more popular games.

Also, you automatically have copyright (at least in the U.S. and many other countries) over any written or recorded work (with a few exceptions). Putting a copyright notice is probably good practice, but that doesn't mean that things without copyright notices aren't copyrighted. (In the past, a notice was required, but not any more).
Bredbeard - Sailmaster of Easily Distracted
Member of Silver Dawn
[Apr 14, 2004 11:09:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

RobertDonald wrote: 
As far as I know, a 1x4 cannot hit the 4th column unless it has nowhere else to go. I've never seen a counter-example, but if you're sure about this, take a screenshot next time you see it. In regards for your objection, I could put "generally don't get destroyed by strikes" instead, but I'd prefer to leave it how it is. It conveys meaning that only lawyers and total nitpickers would fail to understand.

No, they actually do. I'll grab a shot when I can. I dont thin it can happen when your board is more than like, half full, but I have certainly seen a 1x4 fall down column 4. I Think the positioning of such swords is pretty random, although they seem to hit columns with breakers at the top a lot.. :P

RobertDonald wrote: 

A 6x2 horizontal will at most destroy two breakers in this scheme, out of the possible 12 you put in the 4th column.

13. Thirteen! Man, you don't even know how tall the screen is.

Go Here for confirmation of this. Damn skellies. But nice and easy to count.

Which happens to bring me to my next arguement which I forgot last time...

RobertDonald wrote: 

Anyway, the parenthetical aside was merely an example of the perversity which not being able to be instakilled by sprinkles can allow. Not meant to be understood as the #1 top tier strategy.

You can be instakilled by sprinkles. They will invade your 4th column, but they will only fill the bottom 10 lines. This leves you 2 drops, as you can see in the pic by Xephin I linked to. no, he's dead because he didnt get a breaker in those 2 drops. But, if he had gotten that green breaker which is up next one or two drops before, he'd have lived. At least, he'd have cleared a small amount. So it'd not a perfect instakill, but chances are high that it'll do the job.
[Apr 14, 2004 9:02:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ultima7

AizIril wrote: 

RobertDonald wrote: 

13. Thirteen! Man, you don't even know how tall the screen is.

I'd like to see you try to put 13 blocks in the fouth column when you are fighting me. Think Man!! Thats the drop column, the 13th block kills you.
Argyle
[Apr 14, 2004 9:42:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

I've done it more than once before. Right enough, one of the ones I was placing was a breaker to clear some... but I see your point yeah. :P

I had just woken up when I wrote that.
[Apr 14, 2004 11:01:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

AizIril wrote: 

You can be instakilled by sprinkles.

We have a different definition of instakill.

In Puzzle Fighter, you can truly be instakilled by sprinkles. As in, they completely fill your 4th column and you die instantly.

This means the penalty for a non-empty 4th column is much higher.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Apr 15, 2004 2:24:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Swordfighting is not puzzle fighter... There are reasons they are different ;)

One of those is that Swordfighting tries to cram your attacks in in the way that results in the most blocks dropped. That's a disadvantage for the attack when one column is insanely high, but it's also an advantage when your opponent is deliberately stacking along the sides of the screen to maximise their space in the danger areas.
from Midnight.
[Apr 15, 2004 8:14:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

RobertDonald wrote: 
AizIril wrote: 

You can be instakilled by sprinkles.

We have a different definition of instakill.

In Puzzle Fighter, you can truly be instakilled by sprinkles. As in, they completely fill your 4th column and you die instantly.

This means the penalty for a non-empty 4th column is much higher.

Sure.

My definition would simply be an attack that will kill the other player, regardless. So the sprinkle attack isn't a true instakill, but, it's close enough for government work.
[Apr 16, 2004 11:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 135   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates