• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1973 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
CaptainKeen

Noob attack > Questions Reply to this Post

Hey all , I am pretty new to this game and are there any hint and tips for all those puzzles ? I barley can understand the manuel in-game... Any links or topics ? Help help help ! Noob attack ! Thanks ;)
[Jun 18, 2003 5:19:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

Read, ask questions, stay modest, practice, repeat Reply to this Post

Here is the formula for success on the puzzles, and for the most part they are associative in nature (Algebra 1 anyone?).
There is an order of operations though with certain steps you should follow so your puzzle equation will equal success. The first thing you should do is Read! Read the forum, read the help files, read the instructions for how to do the puzzles. There is a whole lot of information just waiting to be read about this game, it is a great way to get started while you wait to be admitted as a player.
Asking questions of the other players is also a great way to get help, and if you are not too shy or arrogant people will most likely go out of their way to help you. If you are new to this game try to keep the bragging to a minimum. There is always someone better, or if not, there will be. (I think I got that from an old movie, but that is not important now.)
Practice makes perfect even in Puzzle Pirating. Well maybe not perfect but close to it. There are Non Player Pirates in the game to practice with if you do not want to challenge the Player Pirates yet.
Do not be offended or take it personally when Player Pirates turn down your requests for a challenge. Not everyone is always in the mood for one, or they may be otherwise engaged.
If you take all the terms and follow the steps you will find that you can easily solve any problem with puzzles that you may encounter.
Have fun.
----------------------------------------
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jun 19, 2003 10:44:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

A standing ovation Reply to this Post

As ever, a wise prescription from Doctor Uzi.

Take three times a day & you won't go far wrong!
[Jun 19, 2003 11:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Puzzling advice Reply to this Post

Those are indeed good guidelines. A slightly (only slightly) more specific set of guidelines is this:

All duty puzzles (the ones you play on a ship) are about balancing efficiency and speed. Don't waste pieces, but don't take too long deciding either. Balance.

Challenge puzzles (swording and drinking) have no strict time/efficiency balance.
Swordfighting has a largish thread over at madmutineers.com.
Drinking is about positioning yourself for luck, but will likely get a revamp at some point to make it more raucous.

Oh, and I have an addition to Uzi's "sometimes people just aren't in the mood" comment. I am never "in the mood" if someone joins my circle and I get a challenge without so much as a "yarr." I become far more ameniable to puzzling when players speak to me first: "Ahoy, Nemo! That octypuss ye sent me inked all over me finest jacket, an' now ye'll pay fer it!"

-Nemo accepts no responsibility for the behavior of his octopi
[Jun 20, 2003 1:33:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

The Doctor thanks ye! Reply to this Post

Yarrrrrr. I have a title now? Ship's surgeon be it then. Well I am more into the becoming the Producer of Potions than the Pervader of Pain. However if it is pain ye wants I do have my associates Dufus and Schmook.
If ye don't know me ye will never understand. Har.
Captain Nemo, sir! Perhaps I can interest ye in a wee bit of me Out Dang Spot Remover. I will mix up a special batch fer ye. Jest don't ye be drinking it.

*Wink*
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jun 20, 2003 6:27:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: The Doctor thanks ye! Reply to this Post

uzi wrote: 
OOO eee OOO ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang!*

That song was running through my head the whole time I was working on the apothecaries.
[Jun 22, 2003 8:24:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates