• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 51
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18670 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
cynj2003

Memorizing charts Reply to this Post

I did a really thorough search before deciding to post this ....

Can someone provide a detailed description of how to memorize?

I keep getting bits and pieces.

I know you have to navigate the whole time from point to point but what happens if you are attacked ? Does that void out the league point? Are you able to order mates/swabbies to do things while you are nav'ing or does that void it?

Who's got the nitty-gritty on memorizing? I need the Cliff-notes version.

~CynJ
----------------------------------------
~CynJ
Captain of the Yankee Mariners

[Mar 30, 2004 12:01:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

Re: Memorizing charts Reply to this Post

What I know:

Ye must be navigating at the beginning and the end of the nav point.

Ye can stop the puzzle in between to gun, job people, etc.

Ye can pause it to talk to people, order them, etc.

Ye must get a "Fine" or better to have a chance to memorize the point. Poor or booch doesn't count.

Getting a higher score doesn't seem to make it easier to memorize.

Getting attacked doesn't seem to stop ye from memorizing.

Each point on a route is individual - one could take 2 tries, one could take 6.

Going back and forth over a point seems to work, so if yer missing just one ye can go forward, back - but ye have to make sure to cover the point.

This is what I know, and so far have seen nothing to change it. If I'm incorrect I would love to know better, thankee.
Alanafiona, distracted Captain of the Crimson Tyrants
Queen of the Sailors of Fortune
Why, yes, we are a bit strange - after all, we're lego pirates!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by alanafiona at Mar 30, 2004 12:11:11 AM]
[Mar 30, 2004 12:11:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

*edit* /me throws his shoe at me capn fer beating me to the post

I think shuranthae would be one of the memming masters but I've taken to doing it lately.

Basically what ye need is a sloop, a whole lot of charts, and a lot of time. All ye need to do is navigate with a "Fine" or better between the league points in the route ye want to memorize. As far as I know the number of times ye need to hit a league point to mem it is random, but generally I think between 5 and 10 times does the trick. Once it's memmed it turns brown. I'm also pretty sure that turning about is a no-no.

My method for quick memming is such. Get in yer sloop and chart yer course. Have 1 npp on each station (sail, carp, bilge). Set sail and load yer cannons quick. If it takes too long to load and ye don't think ye'll be able to get on nav fer long enough fer that league point I suggest turning about, porting back where ye started and setting sail with full cannons. Memming can take forever if ye keep getting engaged, so the key is speed. When I'm memming a route I never put into port if I've got decent speed going. Instead I rechart and set sail again. If I encounter a ship that wants to engage I turn about to avoid about 75% of the time just because 1 sea battle can take as long as running the route at full speed. If ye do get engaged I reccomend trying to keep yer cannons loaded as ye go into the swordfight. That way ye can get right back on Nav straight out of battle.

There are other methods, but this is the one that's worked fer me so far.
[Mar 30, 2004 12:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

I'm fairly certain a fine counts, just from personal experience.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Mar 30, 2004 12:17:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

Fujiko wrote: 

Hmm, it's possible, I was once told that it wasn't good enough and wouldn't count. That information might be old however.

Thanks.
[Mar 30, 2004 12:50:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Fujiko wrote:

Hmm, it's possible, I was once told that it wasn't good enough and wouldn't count. That information might be old however.

No problem; I've heard that as well.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten points with fines, though. If anyone can definitely confirm it, I would appreciate it.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Mar 30, 2004 1:05:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

Something just occurred to me, and if someone would like to test this out it'd be pretty neat actually. But let me put forth first what I know for fact:

Fact: The chances of you successfully meming a league node depends on how well you do you the Duty Navigation puzzle. It may also be linked to your experience. For example, it takes most people somewhere around five runs to get a node. I can consistently do it in 3 runs (I swear I've done a route in two once, but it's possible it was partially memed back when I used to Duty Nav while jobbing). My Experience is Paragon currently, and (aside from the first node) I always get Incredible. A friend of mine is Illustrious and claims she usually gets points in two or three runs.

Very Probable Observation: I had before thought the probability was linked to simply the duty report, but it just now occurred to me that it's probably more directly linked to your score. (I've given this speal several times before, but I'll gloss over it again real quick.) The Duty Report is simply a "Report" on how well you did that league by averaging your score (the indictator icon in the upper right corner) over the time you spent puzzling that league. Thus the Duty Report is simply an average of your overall score that league, and not, in fact, your actual score. So when you're whipping at full speed doing a league every 30 seconds (or whatever) you're scoring "less" than if you were moving at a snail's pace. Example: I booch up every now and then and get the occasional Fine, sometimes it drops me a rank or two and sometimes it doesn't. There was this one time I was out jobbing though where I got a Fine on an incredibily slow moving boat, so that one fine (from one league) was drawn out over 15 minutes. My rating dropped from fifth in the ocean to Legendary.

Theory: As your rating is more directly linked to your score than the duty report, it could also mean that the probablity of meming a node is linked to your score rather than the duty report. So while I know for a fact that scoring well on a league increases your chance of getting that node, it could be possible that scoring well over a long time will do the trick even better. I'll have to test this sometime by meming a node and simply turning about ten or so times and see if I can get a node in one "run."

Oh, and I also know that Fines do count toward meming a node.

Shuranthae, who still needs to get around to doing Opal sometime.
[Mar 30, 2004 2:22:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

Yoda wrote: 
I can consistently do it in 3 runs (I swear I've done a route in two once, but it's possible it was partially memed back when I used to Duty Nav while jobbing).

I know, for a fact, I memmed one whole route in one round trip. This was after the can't memorize points were fixed. I don't know if I got any of the points in one try. It was somewhere up in the far reaches of Sapphire. I think it was Eta - Cranberry.

Theory: As your rating is more directly linked to your score than the duty report, it could also mean that the probablity of meming a node is linked to your score rather than the duty report.

Maybe this is what yer saying, too ... but I think our overall ratings are based on pure, raw data, potentially even pre-averaging. IE - somewhere in the system is a variable storing the total amount of points I've scored at nav, and another holding the total amount of time I naved. That is then averaged to produce my rating, but is stored in the raw state.

That's just how it feels, though - not based on statements made by the ringers. It could be wrong.
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Mar 30, 2004 2:44:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Yoda wrote: 
Oh, and I also know that Fines do count toward meming a node.

Despite frequently being wrong, I am going to agree with Shuranthae here. I've gotten Fines for whole trips and still memorized nodes before...
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Mar 30, 2004 2:49:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

I've also been able to mem a course in 1 trip [maybe 1 round trip]. I concur on the hypothesis that it's score not frequency or report.

[edit: was... master/solid? at the time.. maybe lower. I've never gotten above renowned even with the occasional incredible.]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Telastyn at Mar 30, 2004 2:51:09 AM]
[Mar 30, 2004 2:51:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

I memorized Wrasse-Ostreum in one trip - out and back, and the whole thing was done. I don't remember my skill then, but I was not Legendary yet and I probably had Broad or so experience.

I've never (I think) gotten an incredible in nav, although I do try. I can get excellents with goods in between and a fine every now and then.
[Mar 30, 2004 2:51:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Then there are those points/routes that just take forever. Took me about 20 tries (recently nto before the fix) to get this one stinking point in the turtle-Cnossos route, finally got it last night, then proceded to mem Cnossos-WS in about 3 trips, sorta makes up for it.
[Mar 30, 2004 3:10:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

To you people who have memorized a route in one run: Are you sure you never naved that route before and don't recall? Or how long ago was it, maybe the system changed? *shrugs*

Shuranthae
[Mar 30, 2004 4:37:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alanafiona

Yoda wrote: 
To you people who have memorized a route in one run: Are you sure you never naved that route before and don't recall? Or how long ago was it, maybe the system changed? *shrugs*

Shuranthae

I'd been to Ostreum from Wrasse once before in Midnight, but I wasn't driving that day, and it was a long time ago. We lost that map, then got another one, and that's when I decided to mem it. IIRC, it was about two-three months ago when I mem'd it.

Gaea-Wrasse took several tries that day.
[Mar 30, 2004 5:08:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

I did all but 1 point from turtle->eta in one round trip. It was some time ago.
[Mar 30, 2004 5:37:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nindar

My two cents... Reply to this Post

I'm memmed routes in two trips. Turtle->Jorvik as an example. I know that I hadn't sailed it before then.

Couple of other points:

yup, fine will work for memming.

I agree that it's a total points kinda thing.

Finally: having the ocean memmed is a very nice feeling :)

Naan
[Mar 30, 2004 5:37:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

Hmm. Well I know for a fact that it never takes me more than three runs to mem a route (and by a run, a roundtrip counts as two runs or passes). So maybe the number is random, but becomes less so the better you score. *shrugs*

Shuranthae
[Mar 30, 2004 10:08:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bran

I've had an interesting thing happen. I have all the points from Rhinoceros Ridge to Hephaestus' Forge memorized and I can chart between the two. However, Namath (which must be passed to take this route) does not appear on my map. It's there when I sail by, of course, and I've stopped and set foot on the island. I've already bugged it, but I was just kind of wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Blackbran
Captain of No Quarter
[Mar 30, 2004 10:15:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.dead-reckoning.org [Link]  Go to top 
pikax

One thing I was wondering. When the Alpha to Winter map still existed I memorized it knowing it would disintegrate. Now being an Emerald person and all I have not had the chance to actually sail it since all Alpha-Winter maps were removed. Does anyone know if it can still be navigated?
Pikaxs - Fleet Officer in Piece o' Rum,
Member of Lunar Bin
[Mar 30, 2004 5:30:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IcabobFreely

pikax wrote: 
One thing I was wondering. When the Alpha to Winter map still existed I memorized it knowing it would disintegrate. Now being an Emerald person and all I have not had the chance to actually sail it since all Alpha-Winter maps were removed. Does anyone know if it can still be navigated?

Yes it can sill be navigated if you have it memorized.

As for how many trips is takes people at different skill levels. A fine will allow you to memorize a point, but at many more passes then a good or excellent. I've seen incredible nav'ers do routes in one round trip, and it took me over 20 times to get every point from alpha to turtle with my fines. (thats 4 round trips for all but one point)
Icabob of The Midnight Sun
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.
[Mar 30, 2004 5:44:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    IcaTheBadOne [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

Bran wrote: 
I've had an interesting thing happen. I have all the points from Rhinoceros Ridge to Hephaestus' Forge memorized and I can chart between the two. However, Namath (which must be passed to take this route) does not appear on my map. It's there when I sail by, of course, and I've stopped and set foot on the island. I've already bugged it, but I was just kind of wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

It's because you never set foot on that island. I've got most of the ocean memed but I'm missing like eight islands, which I purposely do because it amuses me (I'm slightly lacking in sanity though). Just hop on and off the island and you should get it.

Shuranthae
[Mar 31, 2004 2:56:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Bran wrote: 
...I've stopped and set foot on the island

[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Mar 31, 2004 3:08:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PatFace

Had the same problem once, a simple logging off and on from the island in question seemed to fix it.
Look for Theface in game.
[Mar 31, 2004 6:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

bokodasu wrote: 
Bran wrote: 
...I've stopped and set foot on the island

Sorry, meant to say do this multiple times. If you port/deport (or something of the like) from an island five times, it give you the node. He's probably already done this too though, so *shrugs*

Shuranthae
[Mar 31, 2004 7:18:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bran

Yoda wrote: 

Sorry, meant to say do this multiple times. If you port/deport (or something of the like) from an island five times, it give you the node. He's probably already done this too though, so *shrugs*

Shuranthae

No, actually I hadn't tried that yet. I'll do so. Thanks for the tip, mate.
Blackbran
Captain of No Quarter
[Mar 31, 2004 8:18:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.dead-reckoning.org [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Does booching navigation prevent you from memorizing a point?
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Mar 31, 2004 8:23:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
PatFace

booching is less then fine so yes it does :)

edit: to quick to post, need to think before acting.

booching while naving, not getting a booched on the duty report. I'm not sure about that one
Look for Theface in game.
[Mar 31, 2004 8:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

As long as your overall score for that league was at least a fine you'll still get the point.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Mar 31, 2004 8:41:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Clarification:

Crystallina likely meant placing a star on top of an existing star in the third row, which "booches" the board ala sailing, and turns the ship around. It's altogether possible to recover from said incident, and I've gotten incredibles... I can't see any reason why code would be in there especially to prevent you from memming when you did this- the fact that it makes a rating less than fine a lot easier is probably good enough.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 1, 2004 12:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
LouisTully

Crystallina wrote: 
Does booching navigation prevent you from memorizing a point?

If you meant the minor 'star overflow' form of booching, then no. I am certain.

Edit: not that that I've ever booched nav. yeah, that's the ticket.
[Apr 1, 2004 6:34:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates