• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 157
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74136 times and has 156 replies Next Thread
Booklegger

His S=our Z. His non-M squiggly=our F. His M=our W Reply to this Post

I can't speak to offical documentation, but I offer you the following observation, where it was first brought to my attention.

For completeness I'd make one addition to his listing, that the X piece displays the same diagonal symmetry as the L and W. But since the X piece is also radially symmetric, and always in the horizontal grain orientation when given to you, this is moot.
----------------------------------------
Booklegger -- Manager Forging Ahead, Turtle I.
Cavan -- Officer of the Kamikaze Guppies
Novitiate of the Albertian Order of Leibowitz
[Nov 25, 2003 5:10:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Booksensei    Djinnofkobal [Link]  Go to top 
jonrock

Re: Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

Claudia wrote: 
May I point people to the pentominoes alphabet for ease of discussion of the various pieces?

Thanks, Claudia. I was just thinking of posting this myself.

I will note that this set of letter names is the Gardner/Golomb convention. I prefer to use the Berlekamp/Conway convention, which changes the names of the first four to R, O, Q, and S. This cleverly means that all letters from O through Z are used, but I admit it is a bit more of a stretch to make those shapes mean those letters.

So, this means that Nemo's original list of piece frequencies can be written as:

P - F/R - Y - L/Q - N/S - T - U - V - W - X - Z - I/O

(from most to least frequent).
[Nov 30, 2003 6:10:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'm sure that the Z piece at least rarely comes up with vertical grain (that is, like the snake going up stairs).

Dude, the snake going up stairs is the W piece! ;) The zed piece is 'cobra about to strike' piece :D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 30, 2003 8:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
ArWeNdY

It seems to me that the regular rectangular hole is the easiest to patch.. I always save my "p" boards for them, because if you do it just right, you can always get a masterpiece.... The rectangular holes are also easier to get masterpieces with when you are force to place a board there due to shaking.. (they are easier to patch up and still get the perfect...)
"Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

--1 Timothy 4:12 (New King James Version)
[Jan 29, 2004 7:21:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.soulyouthministries.org [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

edit: yeesh, this post was really wrong. I think the general point i was trying to make was "try to leave two or 3 piece holes that can be filled with many different combinations of pieces.

The post below refers to my booched post.
Glub (again)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Slummock at Jan 29, 2004 12:10:09 PM]
[Jan 29, 2004 12:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Not necessarily:

O O O O O
O O O O O

can be filled with two Is although it' d be really luck-dependent. Or two Ls.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jan 29, 2004 12:38:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
stigant

IMO, the two best 10-hole shapes are:

OOOO OOOO
OOO OOOO
OOO OO

Stigs
Minister of Edumacation, All But Malice
SO of Innocent
[Jan 29, 2004 9:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Is it just me or the frequency of the boards that show up isn't as spread out. I usually end up with like 4 x's in a row. Or the P never shows up. I wonder if any changes have been made to the board distribution.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Jan 30, 2004 5:08:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

That thought seems to come up every couple of weeks, and the answer is always "no, we haven't messed with piece distribution". I imagine that's still the case.

As someone pointed out a few days ago in an unrelated thread, truly random number generation will eventually give you the same number a couple of times in a row. It's just not as annoying (thus not as memorable) when the random number generator gives you four Ps in a row as it is when it gives you four + or four of those little Ls with a notch on the back (Fs?).
[Jan 30, 2004 6:21:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

I love the little L's with notches on the back. Or, in order to get as good as I am at carp now, I learned to love them. Either way, I get irritated when I don't get any of them. I don't blame it on the ringers messing with piece distribution, as I'm fairly certain piece probability is really based on the different combination patterns of 5 squares aligning. Really, I'd only go into a fit if the ringers reduced how many turns before holes start shaking (Off them top of my head, I have no clue just how many pieces it is, but my fingers know it by heart. As well as La Cucaracha.)
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Jan 30, 2004 12:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gesualdo

Yarrr! What a great thread! Finally, I don't hate carping! Great tips from everybody here. I was particularly delighted to see...

Livesey wrote: 
- Don't forget you can adjust pieces that you set down in the wrong place.

This one tip made me enjoy carping so much more that I figured I'd repeat it again. repeat it again.

Ges
We're number #(e^((pi)i)+2)!
[Feb 3, 2004 3:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

After reviewing this topic, I have a few questions.

1. Can the "duty comparison sample" be aged, so that (as an example) only the last 90 days are used to weigh/compare? Nemo has mentioned that the samples are for such a long time that they are basically frozen.

1a. I've noticed that a newly created alt will change ranking much faster than my established character. I'm assuming then that the game is comparing all your samples, or at least a large number of older samples. Can the weighing be shifted more to the recents, instead of the olders? On Longjohngrey, I can get "good" carp every league point, and never see my carp skill go up (and I'm still below "master" level.)

2. What is the current placement time interval (Nemo said last year it was between 10 and 20 second. Now it seems to be longer, about a minute and a half, but it also seems to involve many pieces). [Documentation: I can place pieces at random, just to put them down. I get a fast yellow hammer by the second or third piece. If, however, I spend 6-10 seconds (need to check with a watch) doing nothing before placing the first piece, then the hammer is still slow and doesn't get very fast for several more pieces. However, even doing this fast starting placement, the hammer starts to slow down after about 90 seconds (approx), while still putting pieces in without overlap. Why would I do this? Trying to "game" carp up to "good" with as little work as possible. ]

3. If I'm using the keyboard, I'd like to get more time per piece placement. Right now I'm trying to use the keyboard with an alt, and I keep getting bootched results. (Heck, just now, with an MP2 I got a poor, I think.)

4. Can Sart please explain his thinking? I saw his video, and still don't understand it.

5, I saw on Sart's video that he is pretty fast with the mouse. I'm not. Can some of you expert carpers please try playing at a slower rate, and report if you still get your same excellent/incredible raitings? Just how slow is too slow for carp with the current version?

6. For a real challenge, you experts, can you still do good if you use the slower keyboard? Is this a "mouse-only" puzzle?

(This isn't trivial -- mousing in carp has hurt my wrist so much I'm not going to mouse-carp again.)

7. ** CAN YOU PLEASE KILL THE MOUSE-DRAG CODE, OR AT LEAST ALLOW IT TO BE DISABLED? *** This may be part of my problem -- I go to click on a piece, and move it where I want it. Since I don't move-pause-click-pause-move, but instead do a fluid move-click-move, the piece may go one or two squares before mouse-up, at which point the game considers that I am doing a mouse-drag, and the piece drops back into the bucket.

I hate click-drag. It is the most evil piece of user interface ever developed. The muscle work needed for click down with the index finger, and hold it down while the mouse is moved, and possibly lifted up and respositioned, is so unnatural that it should be declared a health hazard.

Long John Grey.

p.s. How about being able to customize the keys? Some of us have left handed mice, and while the idea of "keyboard to rotate, mouse to move" may be an improvement, it doesn't help when the mouse and keys are both on the left of the keyboard.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 16, 2004 7:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

I'm not Sart, and not top 10, but I rarely get less than Excellent now, so will try to help!

To my knowledge the game keeps an average and the weight of all your puzzling. Thus it's easier to move when you're a newbie. They already changed it a few months back so that it was easier to change your ranking [up and down].

I don't keyboard carp at all, so can't say to that.

5. I don't carp very quickly. Place 1 per every... 5-10 seconds? As long as you don't place slower than the timer to make a placement [30 seconds?] that's fast enough. Personally, I try to fill the first hole quickly, to get the hammer going.
[Apr 16, 2004 8:04:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drewmetoo

Re: "P" piece re-christened Reply to this Post

Ostracizor wrote: 
I hearby declare that the piece formerly known as the "P" piece shall from this day forth be know as the "Utah", for obvious reasons.

That is all...

Not obvious to everyone I'm afraid...

For those outside of the USA like myself, this map of the state of Utah should clear things up a bit.

Due to the number of international players, I think it should be left as the "P" piece.

Sorry for the bump, but USA-centric behaviour irks me somewhat.
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
[Aug 25, 2004 5:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/state/utah.html

Personally I find the letter names rather confusing.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 26, 2004 3:40:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Due to the number of international players, I think it should be left as the "P" piece.

Latinist! Why don't we call it the "ka" piece?

You're right that not everybody knows what Utah looks like (Americans included), but it looks more like Utah than any other country or province I can find on a world map.

--------------------------------
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Devil's Advocates
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Aug 26, 2004 4:52:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You could call it the "R" piece if you wanted :p

5, I saw on Sart's video that he is pretty fast with the mouse. I'm not. Can some of you expert carpers please try playing at a slower rate, and report if you still get your same excellent/incredible raitings? Just how slow is too slow for carp with the current version?

The speed IS very important to the rating. Carping at the same quality twice as fast will give you better results.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 26, 2004 8:06:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
miisy

i would like to know if it is ok if ye only work on one hole at a time or dose it matter?
come to me IM stall in cobalt and join (on dragons nest)
[Mar 29, 2005 5:33:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

miisy wrote: 
i would like to know if it is ok if ye only work on one hole at a time or dose it matter?

It is best to work on all the holes, and try to get adjacent ones cleared (rather than diagonal ones)

If you are just working on one hole at a time you are neglecting others. This may mean you've got pieces popping off making it impossible to get a masterpiece.

Additionaly working on multiple holes means that you'll be able to spread the pieces around and have a better chance of getting the piece or piece combinations that you are realy after to finish a hole with a masterpiece.
[Mar 29, 2005 5:40:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

I work mostly in 1 hole, putting pieces in the others when I don't have anything that can go in that one or when the others are flashing/shaking. I work the least in the hole diagonally across from the main one I am working on.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Mar 29, 2005 5:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

I have been told (by people who do masterpiece strings) to work on two holes at a time.

This is the steady state at high stars -- fill two holes, get two new ones.
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Mar 29, 2005 10:53:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

AquaDrake wrote: 
I have been told (by people who do masterpiece strings) to work on two holes at a time.

This is the steady state at high stars -- fill two holes, get two new ones.

Eh. I'll have to dig up one of my high masterpiece-string screenshots. I've broken 20 a few times, mostly before they put the stars in.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Mar 30, 2005 6:12:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Am I the only one that thinks carp is easier at higher stars, and harder at lower?

You have a 2 star, 4 hole board. You clear two holes. You don't get fresh holes to work with -- you've got two partially filled holes, and no place to put bad pieces to get them out of the way.

How about this little balancer: When you are down to your last two holes, you are guaranteed to get a putty; when you are down to your last hole, you are guaranteed a second putty.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 30, 2005 11:46:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

No matter how many increds I get in a row I can't seem to get up to ultimate. Any tips on how to take the step up from Legendary to Ult? I've been told that the fact I'm Paragon has pretty much locked me in (unless I start tanking), but I hope this isn't true. Oh, I've been legendary without a change for a year this summer.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[May 2, 2005 3:32:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Rick9109 wrote: 
No matter how many increds I get in a row I can't seem to get up to ultimate. Any tips on how to take the step up from Legendary to Ult? I've been told that the fact I'm Paragon has pretty much locked me in (unless I start tanking), but I hope this isn't true. Oh, I've been legendary without a change for a year this summer.

Are you the CO a lot? The only time I can make my carp go up is during long voyages with others just puzzling. Otherwise I only carp when needed. I just go for long masterpiece chains, and try not to make booch holes. I never will be top 10 stuff, but I'm near the top on any vessel, and it was good enough to win me a ship in the carp contest.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 2, 2005 3:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I CO a lot ... also I am usually gunning (or bilging or sailing if it gets desperate) when I carp as well, now that I think about it.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[May 2, 2005 4:11:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Carp is the one puzzle you should not do if you're CO, or like to talk, or like to... do anything besides carp.
[May 2, 2005 4:13:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

Rick9109 wrote: 
I've been told that the fact I'm Paragon has pretty much locked me in (unless I start tanking), but I hope this isn't true.

Nah, I was paragon and nearly illustrious before I figured out what Shur just put above, so you can still do it. Looking back it seems like you can get as many increds as you want, but those occasional goods and fines set you back a long way :/
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[May 2, 2005 6:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Yeah, when it comes to duty puzzles it really doesn't matter what your experience is as quality can almost always beat quantity if it's consistent enough. That said, and depending on what your current rating is, it actually depends more on how high your score is and not just how many increds you get. It's hard to tell unless you're in the top ten, but you can probably ask someone who's around 5th-8th in carping, bilging, or navigating and they'll tell you they can incred sun up till sun down and never do less but their rating doesn't necessarily increase and it's incredibly difficult to break into the top three.
[May 2, 2005 7:16:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karise

Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but how do you flip the puzzle pieces if you have a one-button mouse?
[May 7, 2005 1:04:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates