• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 157
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74196 times and has 156 replies Next Thread
Thusnelda

Re: Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

I agree. I'm totally stumped when it comes to the whole "comparison with other players" thing. It's hard enough trying to follow the "scores per minute" thing... or is that even still in play? Maybe this aspect is also what's been messing with my sailing ratings. I have expounded upon my confusion repeatedly... my rating goes on a joyride, my ranking goes back an forth two levels in a voyage... I don't get it.
----------------------------------------
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jun 19, 2003 6:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Thusnelda wrote: 
I agree. I'm totally stumped when it comes to the whole "comparison with other players" thing. It's hard enough trying to follow the "scores per minute" thing... or is that even still in play? Maybe this aspect is also what's been messing with my sailing ratings. I have expounded upon my confusion repeatedly... my rating goes on a joyride, my ranking goes back an forth two levels in a voyage... I don't get it.

I don't know what you're referring to specifically with scores per minute, but whatever it is, it shouldn't affect how you play. Just be efficient and fast, and balance the two well. That's all you need to worry about.

As far as your rating being compared to other players, this means that the "average" score in a puzzle is just that. It's the average score made by everyone playing that puzzle. This is a simplification, but really that's about it.
So many puzzles have been played since the last time the distributions were wiped that the scoring chart doesn't even really move anymore. The carpentry distribution is thus set relatively easily because most people aren't any good at it (and have been consistently not good at it).
Hopefully enough people will read this thread that the carpentry distribution will inch upward, but until then, anyone who can apply these strategies will pretty much breeze through the carpentry duty reports.

-Nemo
[Jun 19, 2003 8:45:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Lonesome Crow Wrote:

I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'd like to see that annoying 'x' or '+' piece go away. That thing causes me more headaches and 'fines' than any other piece. I rarely if ever NEED one, and whenever they come up I'm struggling to find a place to put it where it won't throw off the rest of the hole.

I thought about that one, and agreed with it. And then of course I ran into several situations where i actually had that as the last piece for my puzzle. I wish I had been able to take a screen shot of it, it was awesome. At one time, I had two holes that NEEDED that stupid little piece. See? It only goes to show you just how strange things can turn out.
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jun 24, 2003 3:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Funny thing is, that since I've learned that I can now flip pieces, I have in fact left a hole in need of a "+' peice, not once, but twice!

I stand corrected.

However, I would still like to see it moved to the bottom of the frequency list. Since in the same trip I had a 'hand' of nothing but those pesky '+'s. - It doesn't seem possible that a piece that is supposed to be that infrequent should be so frequent that I get 3 in a row.
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 24, 2003 4:59:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

three words Reply to this Post

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
It doesn't seem possible that a piece that is supposed to be that infrequent should be so frequent that I get 3 in a row.

Random number generator.
[Jun 24, 2003 5:01:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dime

i think the most frustrating thing that is the holes that you cannot get masterpieces on.. i get on a real good streak sometimes and score 5 or 6 masterpieces in a role.. only to find out that 2 or 3 of my new holes can't be fitted... i have to count the holes now just to make sure whether or not i should waste my effort on it...
[Jul 1, 2003 8:09:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

All holes could be solved perfectly if you had all the pieces. The only way you are getting imperfect holes is if you leave them sit too long. They blink red a few times and then grow.
[Jul 1, 2003 8:22:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dime

aha.. never noticed.. thanks
[Jul 1, 2003 2:01:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
okane

when the boards start shaking Reply to this Post

when i work on carpentry i always try for masterpieces to get my rating higher but i never get the right pieces and what's even worse is i put it off for way too long because i don't get the right pieces and i end up wasting like the rarest piece because it flew off but it would be a great help if you told me how many turns it takes until it flies off and why let's say for example you have a masterpiece all set up and one piece flies off and is wasted and then you get another one and put it in and complete your masterpiece and it turns out to be a craftsmanship it always happens to me
Lisa, Midnight
[Jul 8, 2003 11:56:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: when the boards start shaking Reply to this Post

An outline of the unfinished area will flash red, first slowly and then faster, as you approach a turn where inaction will cause a piece to rip off.

Kind of like the red flashing in my vision after I read a post that lacks any sort of punctuation.
[Jul 8, 2003 1:29:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Xel

Cleaver, could you please reupload that image somewhere or something? I'd like to use it to make a tutorial for people learning carpentry.
[Jul 27, 2003 11:20:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    masterxel [Link]  Go to top 
kurosh

anyone noticed anything wrong with carpentry recently? I've been doing the same things I've always been doing but instead of excellents and goods I'm getting poor and booched. I go at a pretty quick pace and usually get masterpieces...
Kurosh of Black Death
[Jul 27, 2003 1:13:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

change? Reply to this Post

Aye, I got more incredibles today than I usually do. Of course, I almost never leave the puzzles.
[Jul 27, 2003 1:18:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Bump Reply to this Post

Bumped up as the pieces are back in (and in the docs).
[Jul 28, 2003 4:58:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Tablesaw

As a new[ swab]bie, I'm pleased that all of my time arranging pentaminos on graph paper in 5th grade is paying off (let's hear it for Flip 'N Tuvwxyz!), but I do have some questions.

Earlier in the thread, it was stated that speed of patching doesn't affect scoring. But during my first attempts on a training vessel, when I was carefully comparing the possible outcomes of various pieces, I kept receiving Poor and Booched ratings despite putting together masterpieces. Similarly, it seems that I need to throw planks at a pretty good clip in order to keep the hammer golden and the ratings high. Why is this?

Also, what precisely is the "grain bonus"? It's been mentioned off-handedly, but it's not in the help file
Tablesawyer
("Ahoy, Huck! We can sail this woodworking apparatus down the Mississippi!")
[Jul 29, 2003 7:54:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://tablesaw.livejournal.com [Link]  Go to top 
garf

all pieces come with a grain that is horizontal when ye get the pieces. look closely, then ye'll see it. if ye manage to fill the holes with all grains horizontal, ye get the grain bonus.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 29, 2003 9:51:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Melmoth

Carpentry ratings... Reply to this Post

Can anyone provide a general outline of how carpentry is scored? To what degree does time factor in? Is it more important to fill holes quickly or with a minimum of overlap, etc.? I'm not looking for numbers, particularly, just a general idea of the scoring mechanism.

Melmoth
------------------
Yar! Pirate pants!
[Jul 29, 2003 11:24:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grassrootshell.org    dokt0rmel [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

ummm . . . .

I'm all for politeness, but that info is IN THIS THREAD. I refuse to post a link to the same thread.
[Jul 30, 2003 12:13:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Melmoth

Apologies...retracted Reply to this Post

*hides in shame*
Me drinkin' be gettin' the better of me readin' abilities.
------------------
Yar! Pirate pants!
[Jul 30, 2003 12:23:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grassrootshell.org    dokt0rmel [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

homullus wrote: 
ummm . . . .

I'm all for politeness, but that info is IN THIS THREAD. I refuse to post a link to the same thread.

This is true. However, it may not be entirely clear and a little bit has changed since it was written. I have been accused of being overly polite, so no need for me to stop now.

Carpentry, like all duty puzzles, is mainly about efficiency. You score better by using less pieces to do your job. Time does factor into the equation if you take too long (somewhere between ten and twenty seconds, I think) to make a score (placing a piece in carpentry counts as a score). That lull brings your average down.

-Nemo
[Jul 30, 2003 1:33:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarstTLon

Nemo wrote: 
Time does factor into the equation if you take too long (somewhere between ten and twenty seconds, I think) to make a score (placing a piece in carpentry counts as a score). That lull brings your average down.

-Nemo

Ahoy Nemo,

Sorry to be pedantic but I have been useless at Carpentry and have studied this post to hope to get better at it and I don't want me to have wasted me time....Sooooooo

Can ye confirm that me rating will not be affected as long as I place a piece (as opposed to completing a hole) every 10 to 20 seconds ?

Thank ye for looking at this....
May yer cup o' Rum ne'er be empty,

Cheers,

[size=18]Darst T'Lon

Darst, Snr Officer and First Mate of the Falcons o' the Seas
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bocheezu

I find that currently the only time I really run into problems is when I become too reliant on the P piece. Quite often I'll have all four holes all nice and flush and I could get 4 masterpieces if I got like 6 Ps in a row. This, of course, never happens, and I usually get the cross or a T (another piece I hate) instead and it booches everything up.

Right now I'm trying to find ways to properly use the squiggly messed-up piece (the 2nd most frequent piece) since its frequency is so high. It's hard to set up a hole to make this the finishing piece and I've only done it a handful of times. It's just a very irregular shape and not easy for me to visualize how it would combine with other pieces.
[Aug 7, 2003 8:58:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ostracizor

"P" piece re-christened Reply to this Post

I hearby declare that the piece formerly known as the "P" piece shall from this day forth be know as the "Utah", for obvious reasons.

That is all...
[Aug 7, 2003 11:11:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

DarstTLon wrote: 
Can ye confirm that me rating will not be affected as long as I place a piece (as opposed to completing a hole) every 10 to 20 seconds ?

If you place a piece badly every 20 sec your rating will go down - you will have to overlap a lot. If you place a piece perfectly every 20 sec your rating will go up - you'll get a lot of masterpieces. Skill AND speed.
[Aug 8, 2003 1:21:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

DarstTLon wrote: 

In carpentry you "score" with every piece placed. So, the "not contributing" penalty will not affect you as long as you place any piece every 10 or 20 seconds.
[Aug 8, 2003 4:30:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Was anything changed with Carpentry in the last update? (haven't tried it yet).

I ask because, as others have mentioned, carpentry did a 180 with the previous release. As Zarhira pointed out somewhere, two releases ago, carpentry changed drastically.

Quality used to be more important that quantity, then it changed to being the opposite, quantity was more important (and quality didn't seem to matter much at all). This was done to make duty ratings more accurately reflect how much a person was actually helping the boat.

I'm hoping that a happy medium has been found now with this latest release, since the quantity over quality change took all the fun out of carp (for me at least - and Zarhirra as well)

And since I don't like sailing, this only leaves Navigation for me, so If I can't nav, I simply won't be get on a ship. (they'd be much better off without me on sails anyway).
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Aug 8, 2003 4:50:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Graah

I can't help but laugh... I just started yesterday and Carpentry is the only puzzle where I consistently do well.

Bilging makes me feel colorblind and lobotomized :(
[Aug 8, 2003 5:38:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I first realized that all the pieces where all the posible combinations of 5 squares attached. Also the holes size are 5*X being X the number of pieces you need to Masterpiece it. So, all holes can be filled with a Masterpiece. It always depends on the pieces you get, cause even relying in the probabilities shown in the first post your pieces won't get as you'd like them.

So what i do is not "work on one hole at a time" or "save 2 pieces to Masterpiece a hole". What the hell, i want to do Masterpieces in ALL holes! My way to perform this is to always think in the pieces that you have and where you can put them without creating a bad pattern that would mean a Craftmanship. This is usually leaving a space with unconnected holes which are not 5*X big. Sometimes you leave connected spaces that can't be filled in a Masterpiece anyway, so look out on this. If it's impossible to place a piece without breaking the desired shape for a masterpiece then make sure that you will get at least Craftmanship, which is not very hard if ye can count how many pieces would have meant a masterpiece and make a memory map of how you could fill it with one more piece than that.

Also i try to keep the grain always in every hole, but remember to keep first the shape, and then the grain. If you don't get a Masterpiece try at least to get the Craftmanship with Grain Bonus. It's not very hard, and think that two of the crappy pieces, the zig-zag one and the cross, are great fixes for the last piece of a craftmanship with grain bonus because you can have their grain as you like without changing the shape (rotating the cross means rotating the grain and with the zig-zag you just need to flip it once and rotate clockwise once to get the same shape with the opposite grain)

After some time getting used to look for the right grain you will find yourself doing more or less half of your holes with Grain Bonus (this will increase with time), and all of them masterpieces and craftmanships, unless there's some kind of conspiration against you in the shape of horrible pieces being sent to you all the time.

If you know that you hace several posibilites of filling a space with different combinations of two pieces choose the one that uses the most common pieces, unless of course the other possibility involves two RARE pieces and you have BOTH of them available, which is like a gift to get rid of those awful pieces, but save them for a time if you can.

My final strategy is to keep an eye on every hole. As many people say, if you a piece that would fit perfectly in a hole for a masterpiece then save it as much as you can if it's one of the rare pieces, but don't forget to be placing pieces in all the rest of the holes from time to time so they don't blink and pieces won't fall. So i try to fill the holes more or less at the same pace. If possible i prefer to finish the holes so that when i move i get three new empty holes to fill, not two. This is by finishing first one of the four, then the one that is in the other corner and then any of the two remaining. This will take you to three new holes where you can dispacth all your crappy pieces with ease. Note that this is not always possible nor very recommended in some situations, but if you see it feasible with the pieces you have then try it. You have more possibilities to place the pieces in three holes than in two.

The last and ultimate tip. If you have some holes prepared for the Masterpiece and you have the required pieces available and you are saving them to place them when the hole starts to blink or shake, then keep an eye on the ocean see at the corner (more if your vessel is at full speed). If you know that you are getting close to your destination or you even see an island appearing in the screen then finish all the masterpieces you have prepared as fast as hell, cause you may know how frustrating it is to prepare three masterpieces and not being able to achieve them because you didn't realize that your destination dock was just there!
[Aug 11, 2003 2:43:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
squig

Maybe I'm just a little slow on the pick-up, but playing just now I learned something I wish I'd known since the start of my carpentry days. It's only mentioned once in this post, and then in passing, but I feel it bears repeating, and in bold even.

You can adjust a pieces once you've set it down.

As long as you haven't placed another piece, you can click again on your last piece and move it, but note it must stay within the same hole. A definate life saver, and even handy for the occasional look ahead.
[Aug 11, 2003 3:22:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

The restriction be tighter than that mate.

Ye ken rotate it and flip it, but ye ken only move it one space in any direction.

Ye ken not move it anywhere in the whole ye like.
[Aug 11, 2003 4:30:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates