• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 157
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74135 times and has 156 replies Next Thread
Chaosrunner9

Re: AHHHHHHHH! Reply to this Post

Did you bump this thread just to say that?
[Mar 14, 2009 6:05:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jetliminal

Re: Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

I found a delightful strategy for getting loads of masterpieces in a row (My highest was 8 in a row) :)

You start the puzzle and you see the four holes. Choose a hole that looks difficult to fill and fill the other three hole. Make them masterpieces but at the same time make sure any unwanted pieces go to the chosen hole. Fill that hole little by little. It doesn't matter is ye get worse than a pig's breakfast. The positives outweigh the negatives.

If there is a hole that has a violently shaking piece and you can't make it a masterpiece, use that hole the same way as the chosen hole. Fill it one block at a time.

If you end up with a 'cross-stop' as I call it, fill the holoe that is most likely to get a craftsmanship. Leave the bad holes for last.

A cross-stop is this. (X is the chosen hole, O are the fillable holes and # is a ruined fillable hole)

X O

O #

If you fill the fillable holes you won't be able to get new hole. If this happens, your chain stops. Aslo be careful not to accidentally stop your chain by

Letting a hole grow
Getting a wasteful piece
Filling in a non-masterpiece

This is a dangerous strategy and I would only recommend it if you are desparate because it could cause quite a bit of grief.

If this doesn't not make any sense at all then ignore this.
[Jun 17, 2009 6:27:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

The "junk hole" method described above is a cheesy way to get decently long MP chains, but it's not the highest-scoring way to play.

The best thing to do is try to make all holes MPs:

• Keep the holes as square as possible, working from the outside in.
  • Complete the smallest holes at the first opportunity.
  • Avoid completing two holes that are diagonal from each other if possible because completing adjacent holes will give you new holes to work with (where it's easier to get rid of those pesky x and I pieces).

----------------------------------------
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jun 17, 2009 7:29:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doctortux

For beginers, I recommend hovering over spaces before putting it in and taking it slow and easy. Carpentry is not a test of time.
[Jul 6, 2009 3:15:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

For beginers, I recommend hovering over spaces before putting it in and taking it slow and easy. Carpentry is not a test of time.

At higher levels speed is important however, I often hear pirates complaining that they got MP16 why is that only excellent, I work fast (possibly too fast) and can get incredible as long as I am averaging about MP5 (with the other craftsmanship I don't do junk holes)
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jul 6, 2009 3:58:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Some things I've found useful:
1. Work on two adjacent holes. This ensures you always have 3 boards on your screen at a time, instead of getting stuck with 2 diagonal boards and being limited on your pieces.

2. MP chains don't really matter all that much if they aren't fast. I've found MP5 and a craftsmanship is really good for scoring, and helps you work faster.

3. Work from the outside in. If you see a spot that needs filled toward the edge of your board that jetties out 2 or 3 spaces, make sure to find an L or l piece that can fill it.

4. When Tokening, only pay attention to the pieces with 3 segments of the token on them. These are easiest to utilize. Always place them in a spot where the fourth segment can be put into place without messing up your MP. The 2x token bonus is really nice when going for tokens, and it helps keep your score up.

These have probably been said earlier, but I still hope they help.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Jan 27, 2013 2:11:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hazelsworn

4. When Tokening, only pay attention to the pieces with 3 segments of the token on them. These are easiest to utilize. Always place them in a spot where the fourth segment can be put into place without messing up your MP. The 2x token bonus is really nice when going for tokens, and it helps keep your score up.

I actually find that the ones with half a token are also quite useful. The strategy I use when tokening is to try and put 1/2 or 3/4 of the tokens in the hole (generally on the sides and not protruding, though that is probably obvious but might as well mention it to be explicit as this is a thread for tips) so that should I get another 1/2 of 1/4 that can fit, I can complete the token and still get a masterpiece. If you're throwing away the 1/2 token pieces you're essentially cutting in half the amount of useful pieces for tokening, which is already diminished because 1/4 pieces are rubbish on their own, which you did implicitly mention.

Sorry if that was hard to understand. The 'lingo' surrounding tokening isn't really set in stone. And hurray for the bump.
Coexist , Emerald
Me on YouTube!

[Feb 3, 2013 9:09:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates