• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 157
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74142 times and has 156 replies Next Thread
Faulkston

Re: Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

Karise wrote: 
Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but how do you flip the puzzle pieces if you have a one-button mouse?

Use the Z key: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/docs/carpentry.html

Faulkston,
flipping tips
----------------------------------------
[May 7, 2005 1:38:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
I hate click-drag. It is the most evil piece of user interface ever developed. The muscle work needed for click down with the index finger, and hold it down while the mouse is moved, and possibly lifted up and respositioned, is so unnatural that it should be declared a health hazard.

Not quite sure what you're saying, but I am quite sure that I don't have to hold the mouse 'clicked' while i move my pieces. click to pick up. click to place.
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[May 7, 2005 2:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I love you guys for making me good at carp. I thought I knew everything and just sucked. Maybe 2 weeks ago I re-read this thread in desperation. To my amazement, I realized "flip" did not merely mean "rotate two times" as a time saving method. DOAH! Now that I know flip means friggin flip...my carp is so much fun again!!!
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[May 7, 2005 7:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

True.

Pause-click-release-move will work just fine.

Move mouse to box. Click mouse. Move to damage box: 50% of the time the piece is left behind, because the game thought I was doing mouse-drag and released where I wanted it.

I hate mouse drag. It means that I can't work in a fluid motion because the game thinks I stopped dragging. I have to constantly stop what I'm doing and break my motion to avoid the mouse drag flag.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[May 8, 2005 1:02:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Surprised no one has crunched the numbers for piece frequency (just scanned the whole thread) even when someone had crunched the numbers for Craftsman + grain work bonus efficiency? :s weirdos, lol.

Anyways, letters listed from most frequent to least frequent that I'll be using in this post are: P F Y L N T U V W X Z I

Firstly, I made a few assumptions. The most important one is that a piece is generated randomly. Since every piece is made of 5 squares, I thought...why not start with one square? From there, you have 4 options: each one of the first square's side. The third square can be placed in 1 of 6 edges, the fourth in 1 of 8 sides and so on...

A quick calculation at this point 4x6x8x10 gives me 1920. I'm not about to map out the tiers and tree for all 1920 generations. Instead, I make my second assumption: That most generations are merely the rotation or mirror of another.

So instead of mapping everyone out, I simply mapped out all the unique ones and figured the permutation that needed to be applied to it. You can see my sloppy work below.

Above you can see my third assumption, another important one. I assumed that the random generation would be applied to placement of squares to a side, instead of an actual placement. This makes a difference, especially in the numbers for "P" as it would greatly reduce its frequency if the double generation is nullified.

You can also see on the very right pattern (the one that generates lots of "P"s) that there are only 8 generations instead of the 10 that the other paths make. This reduces the total from 1920 to 1856.

After doing all the counting, multiplying, adding and division, I come up with the following results:

P--37.93%
F--12.0689%
Y--12.0689%
L--6.89655%
N--6.89655%
T--6.03448
U--3.44827
V--3.44827
W--3.44827
Z--3.44827
X--2.5862
I--1.724

Now this does a few things: Shows that it is ok to lean your reliancy towards "P"s as they appear more than a third of the time. Also, there is no preference over F or Y, L or N, U or V or W or Z. I is something you should always avoid as there is an extremely slim chance of it appearing.

Also, this might be controversial (or I just fudged my calculations), but my calculations puts X after Z in the frequency chart and through experience, this makes sense as I've had as many Zs as U, V, or W but Xs only appear when they want to annoy me. I tend to treat Xs as I do "I"s...using them quickly and never ending with them.

Finally, consider this: if you're forced to wait for a piece to finish your masterpiece, think about your chances...you've a 1 in 10 chance if you're using F or Y and a nearly 40% chance if you're waiting on a P. Thinking in this way may or may not change one's game, since we are no longer thinking in an interval scale, but in a ratio one.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Jul 28, 2005 3:05:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

I'm sorry to say that someone has already crunched the numbers:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=7161

I do like your diagrams. They make the process very clear.

Faulkston,
linky
[Jul 28, 2005 3:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Hm..according to that post I miscounted my Ps...

Nonetheless...most people seem to agree that X is less frequent than Z...but it is still listed before it in the interval chart..hm...
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Jul 28, 2005 3:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Also, http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=221580#221580 jumps straight to the post with the official numbers.
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Jul 29, 2005 11:54:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

I seem to recall in a release a while back (3-4 months?) piece frquencies changed in carpentry. I noticed that it became harder have long masterpiece strings (>10) after that release. And no, I didn't get worse at the puzzle.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jul 29, 2005 12:41:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Players have said that long ago, the piece frequencies changed:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=9972#9972
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=10108#10108

They may have changed at a later date (Peghead):
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=224560#224560

Faulkston,
linkies
[Jul 29, 2005 12:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

Is it rainning?
[Jul 29, 2005 1:57:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shmeernov

I seem to get a lot of the + shapes. Its really wierd considering its the 2nd rarest but while carpenting I got 5 of these in a row!!
[Shmeernov of Viridian] Retired Captain
[Wraessi of Hunter] Marooned Pirate
Thorn is a Fruitcake! | Visit Grave Dagger [Aimuari Island]
[Jan 2, 2006 3:05:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stepheroo

Shmeernov wrote: 
I seem to get a lot of the + shapes. Its really wierd considering its the 2nd rarest but while carpenting I got 5 of these in a row!!

Strangely enough, it seems to me that those are more rare than the straight piece. The last time I carped very much, I got at least 5 straight pieces and only 1 of the plus shapes.

Of course, when I have no possible place for a rare piece is when I seem to get them the most.
Deadtom, Mad Tea Party
Cobalt Ocean
[Jan 2, 2006 5:40:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

They are averagely the third rarest and the rarest.

There is ALWAYS an exception to these rules in single occassions, but overall, this is the truth.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Jan 5, 2006 8:27:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DirkSneath

Strangely enough, it seems to me that those are more rare than the straight piece. The last time I carped very much, I got at least 5 straight pieces and only 1 of the plus shapes.

Thats the problem with randomness, sometimes it just doesn't follow statistics. That and I never trust computerized random number generators. They always seem to screw you when you really need it. Carp and sailing are especially good at giving the impression of malice.

Interesting little side note. the 'F' piece, is called an R pentomino and used in the Game of Life cellular automata simulation to make some really neat stuff.
[Feb 17, 2006 12:16:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
timdc

em, is this the most masterpieces you can get in a row?

[Feb 10, 2007 1:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

No ;)
[Feb 10, 2007 1:44:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

No ;)

1 year bump?? lol
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Feb 10, 2007 4:53:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

No ;)

1 year bump?? lol

And that link is a bit mean, lol.
Now max MP's = 18
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Feb 10, 2007 4:59:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

Just to nitpick, I'm pretty sure the max is 17. linky
[Feb 11, 2007 8:01:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LAURxx03

I could of sworn it was 18 love :)
Last I checked... I'm too lazy for links -- just belive it ?
Laur - Hunter Tart
skeleton's bone, duh

Smackhead says, "The trade is comeplete. Smackhead has officially given Laur aids through puzzles pirates cyber sexual enhancements."

Secretion says, "i have runny barnacle i cant come in
[Jul 18, 2007 12:34:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

wow. a 5 month bump to correct a post that didn't need correcting.

The max is 17.
Hatchetback
Senior Officer of Fifth Fist of th'Misfits
[Jul 18, 2007 12:53:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yeup

I read the insturcitions but i can not play crapenty. Will you help me wit some stratagis.
[Jul 30, 2007 4:16:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crasypen

Re: AHHHHHHHH! Reply to this Post

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
BanditGirl wrote: 

Tarrna...to answer your question, YES you can flip pieces. Right click them and they'll switch. I dunno how anyone could get a decent carpentry rating without being able to do that =P

AHHHHHHHHGH! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you! I wish I had known this a LONG time ago.

You can flip pieces? Is there something in sailing I'm missing too?

Err, yeah? You can press z, too
[Oct 29, 2008 6:39:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sari

Mind the year-long bump. :)
[Oct 29, 2008 8:39:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Outspoken1

Thusnelda wrote: 
I agree. I'm totally stumped when it comes to the whole "comparison with other players" thing. It's hard enough trying to follow the "scores per minute" thing... or is that even still in play? Maybe this aspect is also what's been messing with my sailing ratings. I have expounded upon my confusion repeatedly... my rating goes on a joyride, my ranking goes back an forth two levels in a voyage... I don't get it.

I don't know what you're referring to specifically with scores per minute, but whatever it is, it shouldn't affect how you play. Just be efficient and fast, and balance the two well. That's all you need to worry about.

As far as your rating being compared to other players, this means that the "average" score in a puzzle is just that. It's the average score made by everyone playing that puzzle. This is a simplification, but really that's about it.
So many puzzles have been played since the last time the distributions were wiped that the scoring chart doesn't even really move anymore. The carpentry distribution is thus set relatively easily because most people aren't any good at it (and have been consistently not good at it).
Hopefully enough people will read this thread that the carpentry distribution will inch upward, but until then, anyone who can apply these strategies will pretty much breeze through the carpentry duty reports.

-Nemo

Not true buddy :)
I try my best to do all of these tips (Or the ones that seem suitable and can be tracked.) and I'm still stuck on a "Fine" or "Good" in Carpentry.
I'm setting aside today or tomorrow (Maybe both!) to focus on Carpentry as its starting to make me want to /facepalm meself.

Yarrr
~Outtie
Rupture of the Sage Ocean
[Dec 18, 2008 3:22:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

Mind the bump, only do this if you have something to add (and have read through the thread to make sure it hasn't already been said, and it has to be worth adding, contributing to the discussion).

Also don't say things aren't true that are. Carpentry requires learning a lot of strategies and probably a lot of practice too. Maybe you aren't going fast enough or haven't learnt an important thing yet, I found the puzzle pirate pedia page to pretty comprehensive for carp.
Bauds of Obsidian, formerly Cerulean and before that Midnight.
[Dec 18, 2008 5:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pyr0_pyrate

not sure if it's been said before, but just because you've lost your chance at a masterpiece on a hole doesn't mean you should just disregard it and turn it into a junk hole.. yeah, it's good for throwing away X's and 2's and stuff like that, but see if you can still end up getting a craftsmanship out of it, or at the very least a fine? (argh I can't remember what's in between craftsmanship and sloppy work) on it.. sloppy works hurt!

along those lines, I personally think it's better to try not to leave boards with holes far away from each other, like leaving a spot for a P on opposite corners of a single board, for example.. because then, if you don't get a P for either hole, you'll need at least two pieces to fill each hole, which is at least two extra pieces which kills your shot at a craftsmanship.. whereas if they're closer together, you can get some overlap with a different piece and maybe cover the two remaining spots with 3 pieces instead of 4..

also, I skimmed this and didn't see it listed anywhere.. do you get more points for a grain bonus/nice set on a bigger hole than on a smaller one? It'd make sense that you would since it's harder to do that, but I dunno..

and would getting a nice set with 4 straight pieces give a bigger bonus than 4 P's since those are rarer?

and lastly, does anyone know how the grain bonus compares to the nice set bonus? like if it's worth more, or a lot more, or what?
[Dec 24, 2008 12:56:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Badbeerd

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
BanditGirl wrote: 

Tarrna...to answer your question, YES you can flip pieces. Right click them and they'll switch. I dunno how anyone could get a decent carpentry rating without being able to do that =P

AHHHHHHHHGH! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you! I wish I had known this a LONG time ago.

You can flip pieces? Is there something in sailing I'm missing too?

lol this is a CARPENTRY thread
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Badbeerd at Mar 14, 2009 3:51:06 PM]
[Mar 14, 2009 3:43:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Badbeerd

also ive found that it dos well to ry your best to get as many masterpeices in a row as possible no matter how muh time it takes
[Mar 14, 2009 3:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates