• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 157
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 72236 times and has 156 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

There is a sizeable amount of strategy in carpentry that comes from experience. A few players have commented on these strategies in other threads, but I thought we should consolidate them here.

I'll leave most of the strategizing up to helpful players, but will post this one big tip before we add it to the documentation. Any experienced carpenter will know that the pieces do not come in even frequency. Some pieces seem to pop up more than others. I've decided that not having this knowledge is probable keeping many new carpenters from getting into the puzzle and becoming better carpenters. So, while the specific rarity of carpentry pieces will remain a mystery, I am will now show them in order of rarity.

The somewhat "P" shaped piece at the top is the most common. The linear "I" piece at the bottom is the most rare. The pieces in the middle descend in frequency as the descend the page.
By working your holes so that your last piece is a common one you greatly increase your chances of a "Masterpiece."

Please post your other carpentry hints here, too.

-Nemo
----------------------------------------
[Jun 16, 2003 10:34:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Re: Carpenty Tips Reply to this Post

This was said earlier in another thread, but I'll repeat it here since it was the best advice I could give, too:

Plan your moves two or three pieces ahead. That is, two or three pieces beyond the three you're given.) If you've got two pieces that would leave another perfectly piece-shaped gap between you and your masterpiece, work on your other holes until the potential masterpiece is shaking. Then place one of your pieces. Lather, rinse, repeat. If you're slick (and you should be, har, har!) You'll have a setup like that on two or three of your current holes, and the others for junk. As far as I can tell, two masterpieces and two fair jobs will still make your damage level go down.

It's still hard, though.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 16, 2003 1:55:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jollyroger23

Well i never read the rules, and thus i never knew i could rotate and flip the peices.
*edit
You forgot to put the bucket in there Nemo.

Also i just hate how you never get the right peice you want, even if it is the 'p' shaped one. Ill wait for a peice to finish a masterpeice then it will start shaking and i have to crappily patch it up and lose it.
-Tob
[Jun 16, 2003 1:55:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

jollyroger23 wrote: 
You forgot to put the bucket in there Nemo.

No, I didn't. I wasn't planning on revealing everything. I just wanted to help people strategize. The putty doesn't factor into any planning strategy. It's a freebie.

jollyroger23 wrote: 
Also i just hate how you never get the right peice you want, even if it is the 'p' shaped one. Ill wait for a peice to finish a masterpeice then it will start shaking and i have to crappily patch it up and lose it.

You don't "lose it." As long as you keep your grain bonus, a Craftsmanship is almost as good as most peoples' Masterpiece. If you do what Gotagota and others have said you greatly minimize your chances of "losing it."

-Nemo
[Jun 16, 2003 2:28:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

My strategy be to work on one hole at a time. (take time out to patch the other flashing/wiggling holes as neccesary)

In some sense you do have to look ahead a few pieces, but this comes very easily as you practice more. I try to fit all the pieces so that (ideally) the top 3 most common pieces will finish for my masterpiece. Realistically I end up leaving the last space as one of the top 5, and lower as becomes necessary.

I NEVER look to match the grain, as I find it just slows me down further than is really worthwhile. It's just an added bonus ever few holes. (when finishing off a hole which will be a "fair job" or "craftsmanship" I check for one pieces's grain and match it... on the chance I may get the grain bonus)

After a while you will notice the holes get bigger, at some point just exit the puzzle and return, as they get annoying when larger. I do this every few minutes to either refresh the bo
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jun 16, 2003 10:52:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'd like to see that annoying 'x' or '+' piece go away. That thing causes me more headaches and 'fines' than any other piece. I rarely if ever NEED one, and whenever they come up I'm struggling to find a place to put it where it won't throw off the rest of the hole.

Nemo, one thing ye don't mention when referring to the frequency of peices is how often it will be flipped one way or the other. Not all pieces are symetrical, so there are even more possibilities that what are shown. Often times I find that I'm waiting for a "P" shape, but it of course has to be flipped the right way.

Are we able to flip pieces as well as turn them? This would make things MUCH easier.

Also for what it's worth, I tend to follow Meghafords method as well, If the first three pieces I get will nicely fill 3/4 of a hole, I'll put them all in the same hole. As Meghaford said, I then get the maximum allowable turns to get that last piece. I have never had a hole blow up and get bigger though, I'll have to let that happen sometime just to see it ;-)
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 16, 2003 11:37:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BanditGirl

I work all four holes at once, and I set each one up to be a masterpiece so that if the right shape doesn't come in for one, it surely will for another. I always try to leave the P shape as the empty spot, but of course that isn't always possible. AVOID leaving a spot for the long one, the cross, or the other obscure shapes, those pieces never come in when they're supposed to so save yourself the headache.

I never worry about the grain, this hasn't affected my scores at all. If you get a couple of masterpieces and don't completely booch the others you will get a nice rating.

Tarrna...to answer your question, YES you can flip pieces. Right click them and they'll switch. I dunno how anyone could get a decent carpentry rating without being able to do that =P
Jewel, First Mate of the Yellow Jackets
[Jun 16, 2003 11:45:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/green_ajah_wotmud    CrazyBanditGirl [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

AHHHHHHHH! Reply to this Post

BanditGirl wrote: 

Tarrna...to answer your question, YES you can flip pieces. Right click them and they'll switch. I dunno how anyone could get a decent carpentry rating without being able to do that =P

AHHHHHHHHGH! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you! I wish I had known this a LONG time ago.

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 17, 2003 12:05:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Re: AHHHHHHHH! Reply to this Post

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
BanditGirl wrote: 

AHHHHHHHHGH! Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you! I wish I had known this a LONG time ago.

You can flip pieces? Is there something in sailing I'm missing too?
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[Jun 17, 2003 12:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BanditGirl

Don't you pirates read the puzzle instructions? =P
Jewel, First Mate of the Yellow Jackets
[Jun 17, 2003 12:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/green_ajah_wotmud    CrazyBanditGirl [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

BanditGirl wrote: 

Just because we write some, doesn't mean we read them. :p
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[Jun 17, 2003 1:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

the + piece Reply to this Post

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'd like to see that annoying 'x' or '+' piece go away. That thing causes me more headaches and 'fines' than any other piece. I rarely if ever NEED one, and whenever they come up I'm struggling to find a place to put it where it won't throw off the rest of the hole.

I often use these to "patch" when I have had to put a non-optimal piece into a hole (due to shaking). It spares a more useful piece. However, there are actually many good uses for this piece, in conjunction with others - particularly the U-shaped piece.
[Jun 17, 2003 1:50:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

BanditGirl wrote: 

No. Never. Sometimes I wonder why we write them. Silly pirates.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
If the first three pieces I get will nicely fill 3/4 of a hole, I'll put them all in the same hole. As Meghaford said, I then get the maximum allowable turns to get that last piece.

No, you don't. Not if you are following her method when she says, "My strategy be to work on one hole at a time."

If you have three pieces that look like they'll fill 3/4 of a hole nicely, you should let them out slowly. Put one in the hole and then ignore it. Mentally set aside those other two pieces and only play with the new piece (that replaced the one you played). Only use the new pieces (keeping those Masterpiece two set aside) until your Masterpiece hole starts shaking its piece. Then put one of your two remaining pieces in. Wait again and play with the hand of two pieces now (keeping that third piece set aside).
Doing this really allows the maximum time to make a Masterpiece.

Playing the waiting game doesn't just mean you have a better chance of getting your pieces, it also means you don't need a "junk" hole.
If nothing in your playable hand (your toolbox minus the "set aside" pieces) will fit nicely, you play one of your Masterpiece pieces and get a new choice while improving your score.
I also like waiting on my last piece. I think statistically it gives me no real advantage, but psychologically it keeps me in the waiting game.

Meghaford wrote: 
After a while you will notice the holes get bigger, at some point just exit the puzzle and return, as they get annoying when larger.

That's odd. I find them much easier when larger. I can plan my moves with more freedom, and bad choices or forced throwaways aren't so unforgiving. Besides, they're worth more.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
I don't know about the rest of ye, but I'd like to see that annoying 'x' or '+' piece go away.

Then we would get complaints about "sometimes I need a '+' piece and there aren't any! I should be able to finish my hole."
I agree that it is one of the most difficult pieces to use. I usually try to use it first in a hole (especially the large ones) so that I can play easier pieces around it to clean up. Otherwise, it is my go-to piece for finishing up sub-Masterpiece holes.

-Nemo rereads all of the instructions before he posts.
[Jun 17, 2003 2:06:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Nemo wrote: 
Meghaford wrote: 
After a while you will notice the holes get bigger, at some point just exit the puzzle and return, as they get annoying when larger.

That's odd. I find them much easier when larger. I can plan my moves with more freedom, and bad choices or forced throwaways aren't so unforgiving. Besides, they're worth more.

I also find them harder - it takes more thinking to figure out if a piece placement will work well with other pieces when there's this huge open space. However, as I'm carpenting more and more (expect to be Paragon any minute now), I'm finding them easier to handle.
[Jun 17, 2003 2:23:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

In some ways easier, the big holes also take much more pieces... In my mind, my goal is to fill as many holes, and get as many masterpieces as I can before the duty report. Bigger holes means I have to work harder for that excellent. (Don't know if this is true, but this is how I view the puzzle)
... and a few others ...
[Jun 17, 2003 4:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Nemo wrote: 
LonesomeCrow wrote: 
If the first three pieces I get will nicely fill 3/4 of a hole, I'll put them all in the same hole. As Meghaford said, I then get the maximum allowable turns to get that last piece.

No, you don't. Not if you are following her method when she says, "My strategy be to work on one hole at a time."

If you have three pieces that look like they'll fill 3/4 of a hole nicely, you should let them out slowly. Put one in the hole and then ignore it. Mentally set aside those other two pieces and only play with the new piece (that replaced the one you played). Only use the new pieces (keeping those Masterpiece two set aside) until your Masterpiece hole starts shaking its piece. Then put one of your two remaining pieces in. Wait again and play with the hand of two pieces now (keeping that third piece set aside).
Doing this really allows the maximum time to make a Masterpiece.

Ahh yes, I see the difference in strategies, thanks fer clarifying.
The trade off between putting them all in the hole right aways, vs keeping two of those in yer 'hand' is that by keeping them in yer 'hand' I am now forced to find a place fer that third piece (which replaced the one I just placed), no matter what it is. By putting all 3 in the hole, I now have more choices of pieces fer the other holes, and It would seem I have a better chance of getting the forth piece I need fer the first hole. But of course then the hole with three pieces awaiting a fourth with start to shake, and will demand to be completed long before it would with the other strategy.

About that 'x' piece, yeah I see yer point that ye would get complaints about not having that piece. But then again, there are countless shapes which could be left, that currently don't have an available piece which could fill it, the player has to learn to avoid leaving holes like that, or settle fer a lesser score - I've never, ever, left a hole in need of a '+'.
I usually end up using them as the others do, completing a hole that cannot be made into a masterpiece. Would ye consider moving it to the bottom of the list, so as to make it less frequent?

But of course, now that I know I can flip them, I'm sure I'll quickly earn me legendary status back ;-)

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 17, 2003 4:25:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

whenever I try to *save* pieces which fit perfectly into a hole, I find myself using them by accident and wind up with craftsmanship instead of the masterpiece which I would have had, had I used it right away.
... and a few others ...
[Jun 17, 2003 4:28:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
By putting all 3 in the hole, I now have more choices of pieces fer the other holes, and It would seem I have a better chance of getting the forth piece I need fer the first hole.

Actually, since the pieces start shaking based on number of moves, not time, you get less choices, you just see more of them at once. Seeing more usable pieces at once can be helpful, but overall you're getting less choices this way.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
But then again, there are countless shapes which could be left, that currently don't have an available piece which could fill it.

The pieces are a geometric set called "pentominoes" that are all of the possiblities of five squares. For example, the "P" piece broken into squares:
[][][]
[][]
The list of carpentry pieces includes every possibilty of five squares. So, there are no other pieces that fit the logic of the puzzle.

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
Would ye consider moving it to the bottom of the list, so as to make it less frequent?

It's possible, but the current distribution actually follows a very tidy equation. We agree, that "+" is a pain in the neck. We'll see...

Meghaford wrote: 
whenever I try to *save* pieces which fit perfectly into a hole, I find myself using them by accident and wind up with craftsmanship instead of the masterpiece which I would have had, had I used it right away.

That's a perfectly valid reason not to use my strategy.
Some players find it hard to keep track of their sword pieces to make chains...

-Nemo
[Jun 17, 2003 5:20:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

So, this has been an informative thread. I am actually 1/4 (maybe even 1/3) looking forward to the next time I have to do carpentry . . . I didn't know that the pieces-popping was based on moves. No wonder I was so frantic. The shaking started sooner because I was placing pieces faster than I had to.
[Jun 17, 2003 5:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

And don't get rid of the + piece. It is a great non-Masterpeice piece for most small holes.
[Jun 17, 2003 5:35:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

LonesomeCrow wrote: 
I've never, ever, left a hole in need of a '+'.

Perhaps that be because ye hate it so much? I have left holes like this quite often - usually when I have several of the U-shaped pieces to place.
[Jun 17, 2003 5:54:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

muffy wrote: 
LonesomeCrow wrote: 
I've never, ever, left a hole in need of a '+'.

Perhaps that be because ye hate it so much? I have left holes like this quite often - usually when I have several of the U-shaped pieces to place.

lol ye got me there. I'm sure yer right, especially since my second -least favorite piece - would be the U-shape ;-)

It might have something to do with the fact that it is near the bottom as far as frequency, so I don't find myself planning fer that piece. I tend to try to leave holes fer the 'P' or the 'L', or any of those first 4 or 5

I love it when I can fill a hole with 4 'P's

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 17, 2003 6:04:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

My tips (which includes some of the tips above)
- Once you get down to around 15 empy units, keep track of which pieces can solve the hole. Avoid making shapes wich use rare peices unless you've already got the rare piece to use. There are lots of unsolvable shapes, and of course those are to be avoided too.
- I try to solve two holes at once, rather than Ursela's one. And not two that are diagonally apart. My reason for this is that once those two are done, the board scrolls, giving me two fresh holes to put hard-to-use pieces (like the +) in to. Solving opposing diagonals is bad news and almost always results in compromising a hole or two.
- Some pieces can always be flipped and rotated to match grain (the W, the big L, the +.) Get in the habit of doing this with those pieces so it doesn't slow you down. This will greatly increase your chances of getting a grain bonus. Favor masterpieces over grain bonuses, though.
- Learn what good shape looks like. A good shape is one that can be filled in using the frequent pieces. Then as you place pieces in the hole, try to keep the area contiguous and 'good'. Don't just place things where they fit. There are lots of good places to put those rare and wacky pieces (especially in a fresh hole) once you've built up the patterns to look for. The idea here is to maximize the chances of getting the pieces you need to masterpiece. Avoid making long, narrow area.
- Don't leave a hole with just one piece remaining if you can avoid it. Drop the pieces into it only when the hole starts to fall apart or you get all the pieces you need. Delay until you can match grain bonus, if you can.
- Don't forget you can flip as well as rotate.
- Don't forget you can adjust pieces that you set down in the wrong place.
- There are actually keyboard shortcuts for this puzzle. qwas move the piece to the corresponding corner, z rotates and x flips (or vice versa, I forget), the arrow keys move the piece, and the space bar picks up and drops pieces. A lot easier to use the keyboard than to play with a laptop eraser-mouse, or if your mouse doesn't have the wheel or right button. I've even used the qwas trick with a wheel mouse occasionally.
- Place the rares, then place the common pieces around them.

Carpentry is my favorite puzzle. I suspect this has to do with how reliably I can get a good rating. (which means I shouldn't be helping anyone else learn to play well. hrm.) On second thought... You Hate Carpentry.... You Will Never Carpent Again...
-Hethor
[Jun 17, 2003 10:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

You can also rotate the pieces with the roller-wheel on your mouse, if you've got one.

My favorite pieces are the ones that can be rotated tangentially, because you can predict the hole that will appear.

Oh, and this should be obvious to anyone who's played extensively, but for the square holes, you can use four 'p-shaped' ones and get an easy masterpiece
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Jun 18, 2003 1:19:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Ok, let me get this straight... all my hurrying was for naught??? It isn't time-based? I can take my time and get more masterpieces instead of hurrying though them because i thought i had to? Hmmmm methinks I might just improve me rating if I be hearin' it right. IF I AM WRONG.... someone please inform me of this straightaway...
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jun 18, 2003 7:59:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Puzzling faster only means you get the work done faster. That can be very helpful, but it won't help your score.
[Jun 18, 2003 8:28:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

That's been my experience so far too.

I didn't know that the shimmering was related to amount of patching, I always thought it was time related. So I was pacing like mad, which made the puzzle really frustrating to work.

Now it seems I can go at a more leisurely pace and get really pretty scores, but it looks like im doing a worse job.
Isn't that kinda silly? I can get an excellent rating but really do a mediocre job?
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jun 18, 2003 8:40:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Rengor wrote: 

Isn't that kinda silly? I can get an excellent rating but really do a mediocre job?

That's because most pirates are doing an even more mediocre job...
[Jun 18, 2003 8:48:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

Thanks again Reply to this Post

I have read this and also I did read all the directions for each puzzle and that has made me the incredible player I am today.
Well now, seriously.
These are excellent tips.
I have tried to slow down when working on carpentry and that has helped a lot.
The best place to go for Carpentry training is on a Navy Ship or find a friendy crew that understands it is not easy to lean this facet of the game.
After spending 2 days foucsing on carpentry this way my skills are improving slowly but steadily after a very inconstitent beginning.
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jun 19, 2003 1:33:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Nemo wrote: 
Rengor wrote: 

That's because most pirates are doing an even more mediocre job...

What you're referring to is this mechanism that your ranking is also based on others performance right? I've seen this pop up now and then but never really understood the reasoning nor what it precisely does.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jun 19, 2003 4:14:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 157   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates