• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2941 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
goodmanj

Island NPPs talk back? Reply to this Post

1) Greenies sometimes strike up conversations with NPPs.
2) There are a small number of questions which greenies ask a lot.

Idea: Add some sub-Eliza-level conversational skills into the NPPs. This would be simple keyword-identification, producing a canned response. This would give inappropriate responses a lot of the time, but that's okay: they're supposed to be idiots.

Examples:

"Hello", "ahoy," "hi", etc: "Ahoy, matey. I'm surprised ye'd like to chat with a poor daft non-player pirate such as meself. Now, the pirates with yellow and green names, they're real people, with wits to match."

Any phrase containing a curse word: "Belay that, matey. They run a tight ship around here, and don't take kindly te such language."

"money": "Lookin' fer plunder, eh? Take a peek at the notice board blah blah..."

"you", ended by a question mark: "Me? I've the wits of a cannonball, and I'm near-deaf besides. The pirates with yellow and green names blah blah..."

"help": "In the Ye tab blah blah... The pink-named pirates are greeters blah blah..."

"fight": "Ye can challenge another pirate to a duel by blah blah..."

"buy": <basic shoppe information>

...and so on.
----------------------------------------
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Mar 25, 2004 10:07:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Re: Island NPPs talk back? Reply to this Post

"What makes you think I'm a pirate?"
"Tell me more about your Arrrrr!"
"Hmmm... interesting."

(I think this is a great idea!)
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Mar 25, 2004 10:11:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Aye that would be great! I've seen a few greens do that myself and I almost feel bad telling them they're talking to a computer player...
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Mar 25, 2004 11:26:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Don't forget pink and blue names.

/em envisions greenies bugging the OM's with trade requests and chalenges
[Mar 25, 2004 11:32:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Jothmar wrote: 
Aye that would be great! I've seen a few greens do that myself and I almost feel bad telling them they're talking to a computer player...

Wouldn't having NPPs respond more naturalistically delay greenies' realization, leading them to talk to NPPs even longer?
[Mar 25, 2004 11:33:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I've seen very long one sided coversations... congradulateing them on a good fight, asking them if they want to fight again, asking them where they're from... and just completely ignoring the fact that the NPPs dont' respond. I do believe that if the NPPs responded by telling them that they weren't good people to talk to that that would help not hurt the problem.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Mar 25, 2004 11:39:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Perhaps an explination when ye make landfall from the tutorial would help. Just a quick popup that explains who's real and who's not. I don't remember if it's explained in the tutorial itself but then again, some people just skip it anyway.
[Mar 25, 2004 11:44:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

It is explained in the tutorial. I'm all for pointing and laughing at people who talk to the bots, but in the interests of education, having them eventually explain that they're bots wouldn't hurt either.
[Mar 25, 2004 11:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

technically, the tutorial only says 'spring loaded whirligig pirates' - obvious to anyone who's ever played an online game before ever, but some people havent, or seem to have forgotten that they have.
[Mar 26, 2004 12:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Man, now I have to do the tutorial again. I'm almost positive there's a thing in there that explains what the different colored names mean.

Although maybe I'm thinking of the docs. Feel free to point and laugh at me now.
[Mar 26, 2004 12:28:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

I like the idea, you have my vote Argonaut.

Regards Seasnake

By the way; Has anyone seen that old man from Oyster Island lately?
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Mar 26, 2004 12:31:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

You know what? I don't think there's any stupid man on any stupid Oyster Island.

(I *know* I saw one of the bots say something like this...the wording is probably wrong.)
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Mar 26, 2004 1:36:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Crystallina wrote: 
You know what? I don't think there's any stupid man on any stupid Oyster Island.

The man's a master of disguise and camouflage. Don't ever underestimate the power of the Man From Oyster.

Thesis,
who otherwise likes the idea that NPPs become chatterbots.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Mar 26, 2004 1:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

bokodasu wrote: 
Man, now I have to do the tutorial again. I'm almost positive there's a thing in there that explains what the different colored names mean.
Although maybe I'm thinking of the docs. Feel free to point and laugh at me now.

Nah, the first time a greenie enters the inn it explains the differences between white/yellow named characters. That is, if he hasn't turned off the help yet
[Mar 26, 2004 1:52:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

There is a man on Oyster island. He lives in that hut, and the door is locked.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Mar 26, 2004 2:16:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

I thought the topic was NPP's back-talk.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Mar 26, 2004 3:04:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Those would be better things to have the NPPs say to stop conversations with them, right?
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Mar 26, 2004 3:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Wouldn't having NPPs respond more naturalistically delay greenies' realization, leading them to talk to NPPs even longer?

I'd thought about that, which is why I suggested that the responses to greetings and to "you" questions -- basically, anytime the greenie expresses interest in the NPP -- give a respone indicating that the NPP is not human. (My wording might not be the best, but you get the idea.)

I think this is better than the current system: greenies could interpet a totally silent NPP as a taciturn or standoffish person.
Argonaut
[Mar 26, 2004 3:58:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

I just thought up a cool new dock-game you could play with this: Swabbie Taboo. A bunch of players stand in a circle with an NPP and try to engage in a normal conversation. But anytime someone says something which triggers a quote from the swabbie, they're knocked out of the game.
Argonaut
[Mar 26, 2004 3:59:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nikells

homullus wrote: 

Ignorance is bliss.

I like this idea, i'd very much like to see an NPP named "Deaf Jack" who replies to everything with...

"WHAT?!? speak up sonny."
Nikells - Viridian
[Mar 26, 2004 4:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Nikells wrote: 
I like this idea, i'd very much like to see an NPP named "Deaf Jack" who replies to everything with...

"WHAT?!? speak up sonny."

Great, so we're going to encourage them to talk to computer constructs AND to shout a lot? What's next, telling them that "asl" is the standard piratey greeting?

We could also have the Navy NPP's tell them "Top down!" in sea battle.

Are you SURE you don't know Mike Nikells?

Ok, all seriousness aside, it would be fun for them to say more stuff, maybe even have some of it keyed to the nature of the statement, but considering how much action those NPPs get, it affects a pretty small percentage of the ocean population.
[Mar 26, 2004 4:57:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Also when someone says "cyber" or some sort of sexual reference to an NPP they should always say "Prepare to be boarded!"

...always.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Mar 26, 2004 5:02:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

I sort of approve of the idea...I'd have to see it implemented though to see if I'd like it, and once it was implemented it really wouldn't matter whether or not I cared for the concept, so...yeah.
Hermit Smurrf
[Mar 26, 2004 1:03:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Perhaps in conjunction with responding NPPs in Adventure Islands. I wouldn't expect it before then, since, as Homullus said, it's a very small effect for the effort.
[Mar 27, 2004 9:27:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

You need a List v2.0 just for Adventure Island things.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Mar 27, 2004 10:13:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
StephenP123

I think this is a pretty cool idea...just to see how many stupid things you could ask it before it told you to $%^& off...lol joking. But seriously though, I think for new players, it could be used as pretty much a chewtoy to keeo them busy until they realize that nobody is gonna give them free money! ;-)... Anyhoo, it would be a bit gimmicky, except in the case of adventure islands. I have a half-formed idea involving a program that someone made...

Check this out, it is pretty cool.:
Conversagent

And once you've looked around, they have a demo,
So go to the home page, and click the 'Demo the ASA Solution' (don't worry, no download required)

Alternately, for those of you who have IM's like MSN, ICQ, or AOL Messenger, you can add it as a contact.

smarterchild@conversagent.net

Don't try to get too deep into conversation with it, as it doesn't have that many actual responses, instead it has surveys, quizzes, hangman, etc. You will probably run into a dead end. But feel free to insult it! (Just don't insult it too many times or it will demand an apology)

I imagine that OOO design could buy it and tweak it so that 'piratey' messages were programmed in.

Even if you don't like the idea, still try it out...it is uncanny.
[Jan 18, 2006 5:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

You do realize that comparing that to "tweaking" is like comparing driving from New York to San Francisco as a "Sunday drive", right? ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jan 18, 2006 5:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avernus666

Wait wait wait,,, I thought this was my job.

Avernus says: An, the fresh sea air...
Avernus
Former Overlord of Sakejima [Cobalt]
{All about Avernus }
[Jan 18, 2006 5:42:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KariMinger

I still talk to the bots that have my RL name, since most of them start with Stinky or Ugly. One of these days, I'm going to get them for all the character defammation.
Zazazu : blockading near you
Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
[Jan 19, 2006 11:29:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

Character definition?
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jan 19, 2006 12:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates