• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1703 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
aherdofgoats

Pirate Creation Reply to this Post

Ahoy me hearties!

I be thinking that Ye need more detail to yer pirate creation. Some ideas im sure everyone be thinking about are eyepatches and peglegs. Some more piratish flavor and difference would help yer game. As is, pirates be lookin to much alike.

Also i be seeyin lads and laddys with parrots and monkeys and the such on their shoulders, a nice touch to t' the game i say. Perhaps even having a captain being able to have his pets run about his ship.

Just a suggestion, gyaaaAaAR!
[Jun 12, 2003 5:35:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/aherdofgoats    aherdofgoats [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Pirate Creation Reply to this Post

Last I heard, patches and peglegs are important and piratey enough that like familiars (or "shoulder animals" if you wish), they will be the result of particular, special achievements and circumstances in the game. Watch and wait . . .
[Jun 12, 2003 5:54:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Yep, all those are already in the game, but there are no automated mechanisms by which players can get them--a dev would have to give you them.

But what I could go for in character creation is a few more hair and beard styles, assuming they aren't any more difficult than new clothes to add. Then again, everyone covers up their head with a hat anyway, so maybe it's not worth it?

I want some Edward Teach style braids going on with my shag. I'd also like to see some mutton chops, and a thin moustache to go along with those fruity Three Musketeer capes.
[Jun 12, 2003 6:13:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I have been in the mood for mutton chops for some time now...
----------------------------------------
[Jun 12, 2003 6:46:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vixen

I'll bring the fine rum , if your doing the cooking nemo
Vixen - Captain of The Black Widows.
[Jun 12, 2003 10:16:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jollyroger23

Figured i would post my thoughts here, maybe this could even be the spot for all such ideas:

Eyepatches, Peglegs, and Hooks - IF one received these as a result of a bad thing, people might purposely do bad to try to get them. Would there be color choices for such things if a person gets them? And, would having such a thing hinder ones pirate in any way?

Character Creation: More hairstyles and Facial hair would be nice, but then again hard to think of more styles without becoming ridiculus and off subject.

Peircings: I have noticed My pirate has peirced ears. Peircings could be a choice on character creation. Maybe you could even add a way for a pirate to peirce their ears, and wear earings on them like clothing.

Legs: I've noticed there are only 3 male leg choices. Pants, Stripey knickers, and pantaloons. A simple and acceptable (or so i think) addition could be torn pants, that are cut at the bottom or ripped, or maybe even just rag pants.

Wigs: Something to think about.

Boats: Naming ships, and chosing color on ships would be nice and add more creativity.

Tatoos: Just a thought, although i have no idea how they would be done.

Familiars: I think they are good being rewarded, afterall, if anyone could buy one then they wouldnt be so special. I like the idea to add more familiars, especially a cat. Anyway, some ideas:
-Being able to cage a familiar in ones house or boat (such as a parrot)
-Being able to name familiars
-(I dont know if you already can, but:) Being able to chose the color of the familiar you are rewarded.
-Tob
[Jun 26, 2003 5:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

We were given a choice of familiars from a parade of them on Nemo's shoulder.

And nothing stops us from naming our familiars now. Mine is named Larry. Larry Bird. He's deadly from long range.

MY IDEA is not quite at the point of pirate creation. What if the little ditty at the beginning of the swordfight were different for the type of sword your opponent carried (Sea Battle would always be the same)? It's only 7-10 notes or something, so it can't be THAT hard to come up with a different piratey tune for a different sword (says the musical dunce). It would be yet another non-game-affecting bit of personalization: people would pick swords based on pattern, picture, name, or the tune they played. Special fights like skellies or kraken tentacles or whatever could have ominous, non-standard short ditties, as long as each sound sequence was keyed to a particular pattern.

I know sounds are down the list a ways, but it would be spiffy.
[Jun 26, 2003 6:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

As far as pirate creation choices, nearly everything is covered in this old post. I think I already answered all of your questions at least once before.
Anything not explicitly covered in that thread likely falls into the "clothing items take up a lot of space and so should be very worthwhile" category.
The ship questions have also been covered elsewhere. They're coming.

As for the swordfight music, it isn't the effort of coming up with tunes, it's the space they take up. Music (even our silly pirate numbers) takes up a good amount of data. Barring some exciting new technology, I don't think this admittedly fun idea would pass the fun vs. expense test.

-Nemo
[Jun 26, 2003 6:43:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Nemo wrote: 

Music (even our silly pirate numbers) takes up a good amount of data. Barring some exciting new technology, I don't think this admittedly fun idea would pass the fun vs. expense test.

Hmm, I'll probably regret suggesting this, but have you considered MIDI*?
(an exciting old technology).

MIDI provides a reasonbly large set of notes/voices which can be reused by creating MIDI files, which are very small in comparison to what the equivalent file would be if it was true audio.

I realize yer not about to rewrite all the music code, just thought I'd throw this out there on the off chance it might be beneficial to someone.

[size=9]*midi is not the chirps, squeeks, and buzzes some people seem to think it is
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 26, 2003 7:02:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I believe they are using MOD audio, which is a good compromise between MIDI and WAV or MP3. It won't suffer quality loss on older hardware, but the digitized samples take up more space than any MIDI file.

Games using the original Unreal engine, including Deus Ex, used .mod audio for music. For Deus Ex, I remember the sizes being anywhere from 600KB to 2MB per 2 or 3 minute track. I think the size all came down to how complex the songs were.
[Jun 26, 2003 7:21:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

MOD is basically midi with the wavetable samples built in, solving the problem of the same song sounding different on every computer it's played on (and often sounding VERY bad.)

You can usually get the size of MOD-style files way down by sharing the samples for all the MOD files (assuming the songs share a lot of instruments.) Then you get some 10k songs all using the same 2M wavetable.
-Hethor
[Jun 26, 2003 8:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NateDbo

Is music streamed from the server? Or played locally on the client?
If its local, perhaps there could be a music folder (similar to GTA's MP3 station), and a music pack available for download for the 'official' ingame music.
[Jul 3, 2003 7:38:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates