• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6070 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
bokodasu

The Fine Art of Jobbing Reply to this Post

I feel like a lot of people disregard the advantages to crewless jobbing. For the player crunched for time, but who still wants to earn some PoE, jobbing is almost always the quickest way to the largest gains.

[size=18]Finding the best jobs (and what to do once you?ve gotten them).

First, open Notepad or some similar tool. (Some people have even told me about making marks by rubbing sticks of graphite along sheets of compressed tree pulp, but they?re probably insane.) You?ll need this to make notes about crews and flags you?ve jobbed with ? you should have at the very least a list of ?good jobs? and ?bad jobs?. You think you?ll remember their names the next time you log on, but you won?t. Trust me.

[size=18]Deciding on a job to take:

Check the noticeboard. See who?s hiring. If you see a crew from your ?good jobs? list hiring, then go ahead and apply. Quick and easy.

Otherwise, start checking out offers.

Ship size:
First check the ships. In general, jobbing on a big ship is going to net you more PoE than jobbing on a sloop, so start with the biggest ships and work your way down. If you see a likely big ship, ?/vwho <shipname>? to see who?s on it. If there are only 2 pirates aboard, it may be awhile before you get going, and if your time is really short, you might not want to wait. Go to the next largest ship. Note: with the payout changes implemented, this is no longer so relevant. Depending on the skills of the navigator and crew, it's now much more likely that you'll make good (possibly the best) money on sloops and cutters.

Crew Info:
Once you?ve chosen a ship to check out, always click the ?Crew Info? button. Even crews you?ve jobbed with before sometimes change their payouts, so it?s worth looking. The two things you want to look for are the split and the crew cut.

If you are new to the game, Crew Cut is probably not what you think it means. It is the amount that goes in the ship at the divvy, and does not get shared to the pirates on board. You want to find the lowest crew cut offered. The less that stays on the ship -> the more that goes in your pocket.

The best splits are even ? whether it?s all 1/2's or all TWENTY!?s, it means each person on the ship will get the same amount of booty at the divvy.
If there?s no one with an even split (or there is, but they?re on your ?bad jobs? list) then start looking more carefully at the splits. Some crews will actually pay more to jobbers than they do to other ranks. I don?t get it, but I?ve generally had good times with crews that do this, so go ahead and give it a whirl if you see that. Otherwise, try to find the splits that have the smallest spread between what you?re getting and the highest share. 3/5 doesn?t sound too bad, until you realize that you?re getting just a little over half of whatever the ?5? person will be getting. 4/5 is better, since you?ll be getting 80% of the person getting ?5?, and that?s the closest you can get with the way the numbers are set up.

Applying:
Once you?ve chosen the crew you want to job with, go ahead and send that carrier pigeon. But don?t apply for more than one job at a time. If they don?t hire you immediately, wait a minute to let them check out your Pirate Info page. If you still don?t hear from them after that minute, go ahead and apply to the next crew on your list.

[size=18]What to do once you?ve gotten the job:

Once you?re whisked to the ship in question, greet the crew in a friendly manner (?Ahoy!? is always acceptable). If you have a favorite station, now's the time to ask for it. Otherwise, ask where you?re needed, if nobody points you to a station immediately. Sometimes captains are busy. If nobody tells you what station to take even after you?ve asked, look at the meters to the right, and look at what pirates are doing which jobs. Take the one that looks like it?s needed most and doesn?t already have a thousand other pirates doing it. (Or take the one you originally asked for - it's possible the captain is just assuming you're going for it, and the worst that can happen is that you get ordered to do something else.)

If you like to gun or nav, and nobody is doing these things (and the cannons aren?t already loaded) go ahead and ask if you can do them now. If you?re told ?no?, don?t tart, just go do whatever they ask you to do instead. You?re more likely to get given these stations later if you?re polite about it.

If the CO orders you to a duty puzzle, do it. If it's something you're not good at or don't enjoy, let them know, but do it anyway until they can find someone else to take your place. You only get PoE when your ship wins swordfights, so you want to do everything in your power to keep it running in peak condition.

Do your puzzle to the best of your ability. Don?t challenge other people to swordfights or drinking while onboard. Take your cue from the pirates around you ? take part in friendly onboard banter, but don?t chatter your fool head off if you?re with a serious, non-talkative crew. Don?t leave during sea battle if at all possible. (And if it isn?t at all possible, at the very least announce ?the house is on fire!? or whatever your emergency is before you log off) Target according to your CO?s directions. If you get tired of a duty puzzle, offer to switch with someone else. Again, don?t tart if you?re told no. Try later, or politely excuse yourself at the next league point.

[size=18]Evaluating the situation:

Remember, while you are supporting the crew you?re jobbing for, you deserve to be treated well. Check the booty divvy to make sure you?re getting the shares you?re entitled to (which is based on the battles you?ve participated in as well as the shares listed). Feel free to ask questions if you don?t think something?s right ? officers do occasionally make mistakes. If asked to forage, make sure that you will be getting a share of the profits of anything foraged ? your hours are valuable, although a strangely large number of officers seem to think otherwise. If you?re not having fun, don?t waste time complaining. If the officer in charge won?t discuss or make good whatever is ruining your fun, say ?Thanks for the run!? and leave at the next league point.

[size=18]Leaving:

Give as much warning as possible when you'll have to leave. ("I'll have to leave in 10 minutes" or "after this battle" or even "I may get called away suddenly" if that's the best you can do.) When it?s time to go (preferrably when you?re ported, next at a league point, never in battle), thank the CO, whisk back to your home isle, and log off. Even if the run isn?t finished, you?ll get paid the next time that ship puts into a colonized port. (If you?re not, go ahead and put that crew on your ?bad jobs? list). Take a minute to make some notes on the run ? at the very least, assign the crew to one of your lists. If you have the time, make some notes on pirates you met (can be very important - you may have a bad run with one crew, and later find that it was a single bad pirate in an otherwise excellent crew that ruined it for you and got them added to your "bad jobs" list even when they shouldn't be), officer style, crew dynamics, anything you think will help you to decide whether to job with that crew again or not.

[size=18]The next step:

You?ve gotten to the point where your ?good jobs? list has one crew (or flag!) with three red underlines and a gold star next to their name. They?re always on when you are, and you enjoy their company. It?s time to start thinking about joining that crew?But I wouldn?t know anything about that.*

[size=9]*Disclaimer: I may not know anything about anything written above. This is all my own opinion of my own experiences. Take with as many grains of salt as necessary.
----------------------------------------
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Edit 3 times, last edit by bokodasu at Mar 18, 2004 5:01:07 AM]
[Mar 18, 2004 5:01:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crusher24317

Re: The Fine Art of Jobbing Reply to this Post

thanks for the info I learned alot reading that!
Senior Officer/Lieutenant for the crew Sea Ogres
Member of the flag Eternal Umbrage
[Mar 18, 2004 5:08:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Just a tidbit:

Every officer I've seen, and I especially like forewarning if ye're going [or even have a chance] to leave. Even a "Hey I might need to go in 10 minutes" or "I'm going to need to go in 2 hours if the trip is very long" are very helpful.

And if ye have to check on something, and do a "be right back", it helps the officer alot to know how "right back" "right back" is. Is that 30 seconds, 5 minutes? Giving a time estimate, or even a description of what ye're going to be away for is much more helpful.

Giving the CO forewarning allows them to make more informed decisions, and thus make more poe for the ship and for ye.
[Mar 18, 2004 5:12:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Telastyn wrote: 
Every officer I've seen, and I especially like forewarning if ye're going [or even have a chance] to leave. Even a "Hey I might need to go in 10 minutes" or "I'm going to need to go in 2 hours if the trip is very long" are very helpful.

Good point - I was thinking from the perspective of the baby waking up and needing to leave suddenly (I usually try to say "hey, I may have to leave suddenly") since you can't really give much warning for that. But I will add it in.
[Mar 18, 2004 5:23:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoda

Hehe. I usually give people a ten or thirty minutes warning before I have to go if possible (sometimes it's not, like last night when I had to leave during a swordfight against players, 6 to 12... Greenwolf, I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry!). Usually I don't have a precise time I need to go, so I give some time frame measured in battles (I'll probably have to leave after this battle, or the next one...).

Anyway, well written. I have to admit I'm guilty of the Nav thing... it's not so much just that I love to Battle Nav though as that I hate to lose. *hugs his precious ratings* So I've been rather selected of people I jobbed with based on who I know will let me nav and who won't. If people don't let me Nav I just shrug and leave after a battle or two (far as I'm concerned it's their loss). Although that's more regarding random jobbings, if I'm with friends I don't really care much if I lose.

Btw, being as you seem to be an interesting person I've been meaning to track you down sometime. I've passed by you once or twice at the docks, but I think I was usually busy with something whenever I happened upon you. We should pillage sometime, maybe you could come pvp with us sometime if you're interested.

Shuranthae
[Mar 18, 2004 5:44:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

bokodasu wrote: 

Applying:
Once you?ve chosen the crew you want to job with, go ahead and send that carrier pigeon. But don?t apply for more than one job at a time. If they don?t hire you immediately, wait a minute to let them check out your Pirate Info page. If you still don?t hear from them after that minute, go ahead and apply to the next crew on your list.

Nothing will get you on my bad jobber list quicker than "that person already has a pending invitation." And you didn't even make it on me boat.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Mar 18, 2004 6:55:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dr4b

Tomyris, this is a fabulous guide. The only things I would add are:

- If it is a large crew you job with when you are still evaluating good job vs. bad job, *definitely* try to make note of which pirates were on board, and the commanding officer, as the larger the crew, the larger the variance may be. Jobbing for a particular pirate may be as important as jobbing for a particular crew.

I often will see job postings from crews that I've generally had good luck with, or have friends in, but when I do a /vwho, I don't recognize any of the names, so I'll pass it up. So if you enjoyed jobbing with a particular pirate or two, you might want to ask them if you can hearty them and/or whether it is okay to ask them for a job again at a later time.

- My general greeting when I get on board is something like "Ahoy. I'm best at carp and enjoy it most, but will do whatever ye need -- where d'ye want me?"

A lot of COs, unless they took the time to study your info carefully, will just sort of say "Take a sail, please?" because it seems like the natural thing to throw a new untested jobber on, especially if you have another sailor or two. But if you have someone who's not particularly happy about being on carp or bilge, and a jobber comes on like "Hey, I like to carp," then it works out great for both parties. Sometimes a CO will ask what you like to do, but usually they won't, and so I find it best to just let them know. It is true that some people will take "Ahoy. I'm best at guns but will do whatever" as a "OMG LET ME GUN OK LOL", but I think it goes along with the suggestion that you should ask politely once about the gunning/nav, and then let it go.

Still, this is a great guide, and I think it explains a lot about the jobbing experience that is not always immediately obvious to people. (Oh, hmm. It's explained somewhere else in a newbie guide what it means to be "jobbing" vs. actually a member of a crew, right? Occasionally I guess I've had greenie jobbers ask "So am I in your crew now?")
Janthina, proprietor of Turban Outfitters on Jorvik.
Deadly, when I gather materials
Never engage any less than Imperials.

[Mar 18, 2004 7:10:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
adramolek

Nice!

It's too bad the worst of the worst will probably never make it to the forums anyway. Wish this was somehow required reading for new accounts. Maybe make them answer some questions or two before they are allowed to play the game, hehe.
The List: Where good suggestions go when they die.
More swords now thx.
CLICKY -> CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR 100000 POE PRIZE! <- CLICKY
[Mar 18, 2004 8:17:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

I have the "bad" habit of saying "Ahoy" and immediately jumping on a carpentry or bilge station if there's any amount of colour on the meters. I'll do something else if asked, but I just can't stand the sight of damage/bilge.

My other bad habit (no quotes) is if I'm on carpentry and the damage meter is at zero when we enter Sea Battle, I'll hop off and look for a sailing station. I've never actually been told not to do it, but I could see it happening.
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Mar 18, 2004 11:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

If ye'r good at carpentry, ye can almost never go wrong offering to releive someone who's on carp. It seems that the vast majority of pirates would prefer sails. If the CO doesn't say anything sails are almost always apreciated. On the smaller ships, unless the ship is sinking, try not to make bilge yer first choice. That's my opinion.
[Mar 18, 2004 11:49:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
lulubelle

First let me say thank you thank you THANK YOU! I'm including a link in my crews public statement!!!! [Assuming you can...never tried that ;-) ]

Yoda wrote: 

I have to admit I'm guilty of the Nav thing... it's not so much just that I love to Battle Nav though as that I hate to lose. *hugs his precious ratings* So I've been rather selected of people I jobbed with based on who I know will let me nav and who won't. If people don't let me Nav I just shrug and leave after a battle or two (far as I'm concerned it's their loss).

I've been on the receiving end of this (not from Yoda, at least I don't think so!!) and it can be quite disconcerting. I'm a new captain and am training new officers, so generally we need to get our skills up. I've had jobbers come on and spam me with tells about gunning or navving, and in the end I tend to get frustrated and plank them when repeated no's and explanations don't make them stop. Or they come aboard, ask to nav, told not right now but after so-and-so is done, and they leave with no explanation....not even a "well, thanks, bye"! And these weren't just the greenies.

I think sometimes people get so poe blind or into their "thing" that they forget others need/want to up their skills too.

/em gets off my soapbox

Lulubelle
LuluBelle on middy & SAGE

on cobalt, CapnMorgan, a fine rum

Weasels....the newest piraty familiar!!!
[Mar 25, 2004 11:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.marykay.com/lureta    piratelulubelle [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

stevedave wrote: 
If ye'r good at carpentry, ye can almost never go wrong offering to relieve someone who's on carp. It seems that the vast majority of pirates would prefer sails.

I can understand this for a couple of reasons:

- The nature of the carpentry puzzle means it's the hardest one to discover what sort of piece you'll need next. In the sailing puzzle, you're told right away which blocks you need to place where. Carpentry requires the ability to visualize what your playing field will look like after you put down a given piece. Not exactly my thing if I was hoping for a couple hours of more or less mindless fun.

- The carpentry playing field is brown and black. I certainly can't imagine it being anything else, mind you, but I do occasionally get a sort of cooped-up feeling if I carpent for too long, and I suspect it's because of the gloomy colouration.

I love the carpentry puzzle because of the challenge, but I *still* think I'd go nuts if I didn't either get relieved once in a while or get into enough fights that there's already sufficient breaks in my work. =)
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Mar 25, 2004 10:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Minor niggle, but it would be nice putting good shares BEFORE low crew cut, as unless the crew cut is 45%, the shares are usually the greatest concern.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 26, 2004 2:39:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

I was meaning them to be looked at as a package - you want to find the best deal on both.

Crew cut is first because I think a lot of new players misunderstand it. Heck, I read all the docs before I started playing, and for the first two days I was still going "Who are these fools with only a 20% crew cut? I don't want to job with them! Look, this one offers 45%!"

(Strangely, once I figured that out, my jobbing experiences got a lot better. Go figure.)
[Mar 26, 2004 2:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
babossa

Different ideas of jobbing Reply to this Post

I'm sure this this a very intersting topic. JOBBING!!

Arh, if you are new and not skillful and you need money or to improve your skills as jobbers before any crew would like you to join them, or before you meet any good crew to join.

So jobbing is the most important thing you should do as a new pirate. But I'd like to share every one with my own opinions, which you might find very different from the others.

Make sure you know what you are doing

Before you look for a jobber place at a ship, make sure you poceccess very basic skills at least: Bilge, Carp and Sail. At least you'd better be good at one of them. Otherwise the employer may find you a bit "useless" for them after a while. Don't forget you want money, while the employer needs your skills to help them on sail out. I guess no one would like to give out money for nothing, right?

The booty share and crew cut

Aye, there are so many different divvy policies among different crews. But most policies are made according to different strategies that crews follow (at least I hope so). If you only want to make some quick money, of cos the higher share of the booty and lower share of the crew cut are your best choices. But think what if you want to join this crew? After being a full member of the crew, do you still deserve to get the same share of booty as jobbers, even when you become a Senior Officer?

And if you never give yourself a chance to try this "sound-no-good" crews, you will never get a clue how good they are (of course also how bad they are). If a crew, with lower share of booty, could win every battle without losing a penny. I reckon it's better than the one, with good share of booty, losing battles often, as the ship wouldn't even have much to share with you.

So job for the crew with fair booty share and could win most of the battles, if not all. And also keep in mind some crew do pay you extra for your outstanding perfomance as a jobber.

Finding the right ship

According to my own experience, the booty you pilliage from a battle doesn't depends purely on ship type, but the member of pirate on ship. Thus a cutter may make more booty then a war brig, if there are less ppl on the brig. A sloop with 5 of human players on board may rob the enemy more than 2,000poe in each battle, which I guess is not a bad odd.

So people are the most important aspect you would consider at all time, whether for jobbing for or for joining a crew
[Apr 2, 2004 9:42:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skington

Great guide :-). I'd like to add a bit according to my own experience in hiring jobbers. (Feel free to revise the original post if you think it worthy of addition.)

Don't assume that the officer who hired you had a look at your stats: if they're in a hurry, they may well have ducked out of a puzzle, hit the Hire button, and gone straight back in. If carp or bilge are dangerously high, in particular, chances are that all officers are busy at duty puzzles. <em>Let them know</em> what you're good at, and decent crews will listen to you.

I'd also back up the comment about doing what you're told, <em>then</em> asking. It's annoying for an officer to order someone to do a particular puzzle, then nothing happens. At the very least, send them a /tell asking for a reason - that way, at least they know you were listening.
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Apr 25, 2004 11:29:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Crew cut vs briggand type Reply to this Post

Keep in mind that high crew cuts aren't bad if the ship gets nasty briggands.

I'd rather take a 50% crew cut on a ship that fights and wins 1500-per-pirate briggands than a 10% crew cut on a ship that fights 180-per-pirate sailors. Even if I get fewer shares on that 1500 per ship.

Now, how to determine what briggand you get and defeat on a ship? Don't have a clue.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[May 24, 2004 3:54:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Re: Crew cut vs briggand type Reply to this Post

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Now, how to determine what briggand you get and defeat on a ship? Don't have a clue.

Experience. That's why you keep your handy little jobbing log, to remind you which folks are likely to attack Imperials and which are going to be all "hello, sailor". (erm...)

I'm not saying never job for random crews with high crew cuts and weirdly skewed payouts. I'm just saying, if you have a half-hour or an hour to play a few times a week and want to reliably make the most poe you can in that time, these are some things to look for.
[May 24, 2004 10:25:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Havasa

This is a great thread, it's cleared up a lot of questions I had. :) Still, I'm a little confused about shares and was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me. So, if if every one gets twenty shares, that means the money's being divided up equally, right? I would assume that twenty is better than, say, one share, but if everyone gets that one share wouldn't it still technically mean it's equal? The only thin I can think of is that it may be related to the number of people the poe is being split between or something, but I'm just taking wile guesses here.
[Feb 1, 2005 11:40:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I sparred with Bassmasters over this one before. If the shares are equal, it doesn't matter whether it's 20/20/20/20/20/20 or 0.5/0.5/0.5/0.5/0.5/0.5 - the game uses the least common multiple system to ensure that the remainder is as small as possible.
[Feb 1, 2005 11:47:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
digtheking2

Asking to Nav/Gun Reply to this Post

I find that if you job for one or two trips with one crew, even if you are not a full member, you'll be allowed to do more jobs on a ship. I, for instance, after just being payed, stayed on the ship while the CO was preparing to sail again. I asked him, "if we get a quiet part coming up, would you be able to let me navigate?"
Most of the times that i said this they said, "we'll see" or "yeah sure, you can go straight away if you like"
I also agree with the saying thanks when you leave, whether you got to nav or not, it increases a chance of the CO hiring you again.
One last thing is that some of the officers on a ship dont actually like navigating, but won't say, so that increases the chance too.
This is just my personal experience, mind you
Silentdragon
Senior Officer of Von Grey Pirate
Lord of the flag Von Grey
Viridian Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by digtheking2 at Apr 29, 2005 6:51:45 AM]
[Apr 29, 2005 6:51:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.viridianocean.com    daleprebble_ypp@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Trocket87

jobs? i'll rather try all first but erm.......experience does count.........
duh not sure what to do.............

[May 16, 2005 11:28:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddys

This is a great guide. With permission ill post it on the Crew Forum.
So..... do i have permission to post?
Finnigan..... Proud Member of the Crew Anxiety and of the Flag "Hells devils"- Infierno De los Diablos
[Jul 27, 2005 2:18:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xFinniganx

The above post is from me, I was logged on with a wrong client. Sorry for that.
[Jul 27, 2005 2:25:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ratmax2003

Re: Reply to this Post

this topic was created over 2 years ago yet all its info is still correct brovo, brovo and next time im jobbing ill try to think of everythaing hear
Yarr i be semi-retired..butcoming back!!!
[Aug 16, 2005 7:20:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Khalas

Just wondering about why the post has so many question marks....
[Aug 23, 2005 6:22:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

When the forums transferred from phpBB-based to mvnforum-based, several characters in old posts (notably the quotation mark ( " ) and apostrophe ( ' ) no longer displayed correctly.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Aug 23, 2005 7:00:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
Ratbasket

I think that this is a great thread, and I hope that it is as widely-read as it deserves to be.

I am one of those players who makes his corsairly living by jobbing with other crews. I enjoy the freedom it allows me; more often than not, one of the crews I like to work with is hiring. A large part of the fun, though, is jobbing with new (to me) crews. I've heard the complaint voiced that one-pirate crews run somehow against the social fabric of the game, but I'd argue that a pirate who spends all his time jobbing is getting an equally valid, if different, social experience from the game as the pirate who joins a larger crew. I've jobbed with most of the major crews on Midnight and as many of the small ones as I can . . . except for a few whose names or crew statements triggered my gag reflex, that is.

With all that said, I'd like to make a few observations from the jobber's viewpoint, as most of the posts in this thread are from the viewpoint of the hiring officer. My philosophy is simple: I'm a competent puzzler, and I like to offer as much to the crews I job with as I get in return. Most of these observations are "negative," in that they highlight behaviors that I think a good officer should avoid (and, thankfully, the majority of officers seem to know these instinctually). There's not much you need to do to make me happy as a jobber other than be polite. I'm putting forth all of these as personal preferences; I do not speak for all jobbers any more than I speak for all pirates who wear sleeping caps (aye, there's at least two of us).

So, please . . .

. . . greet me when I board your ship. If the ship has just entered battle, if the ship is damaged and you are working a duty puzzle, or if there is some other obvious and pressing matter at hand, it's okay if you don't say anything. But if you're just standing around or sitting in the crow's nest, a "Hoy, Engine!" makes my piratey heart happy. If you're working a duty puzzle when the ship's not damaged, some sort of acknowledgement is still nice, even a quick "hoy." If you don't greet me and you're busy lazing and chatting it up with other folks aboard, you've already made me think twice about jobbing with you again.

. . .thank me when I leave. I always thank the officer and crew that hired me, and it's nice to be thanked in return (though if I'm leaving mid-voyage, I don't mind so much if you don't thank me). Even a general "thanks to all jobbers!" at the end of a voyage is great.

. . . try not to whistly-order me. I realize that policies on whistly-ordering vary from crew to crew, but my strong personal preference is to be verbally ordered. I am not a bot. I am, on most days, a semi-intelligent pirate who will gladly move to any duty station. Naturally, if I'm on a larger ship, or if we're in the heat of battle, I don't mind getting whistled - but on calm seas, it always seems curt and abrupt.

. . . let me know if you're primarily aiming to PvP. Some crews' statements make it obvious that they're going to concentrate on PvP engagements, but some don't, and often it's the individual officer's preference. As a courtesy, if you are aiming to do a lot of PvPing, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know. PvP battles can be quite lucrative, but they can also have dismal payouts for the amount of work that goes in. I also have a lot of friends in flags that don't necessarily love each other, and it's occasionally awkward for me to be PvPing against someone I know. A PvP fight now and then is fun, but as any PvPer will tell you, it's a different game experience than playing bots, and not all jobbers will be looking for it at all times.

. . . be aware of your own ship. Voyages are most enjoyable when the officers of the ship keep tabs on duty reports, on players who abandon their duties or leave during battle, or who disconnect but coast through an additional battle (or two, or even, ugh, three). While a single officer can competently command a sloop and perhaps a cutter, anything larger is much better sailed with at least two officers aboard to better keep an eye on both the ocean and the deck. It's up to you as commanding officer to decide how much lazing / goofing off you'll tolerate, but even if you run a fairly lax ship, it's nice to hear you pipe up now and again just to let us all know that you're paying attention.

. . . be liberal with the plank, that is to say, do not hesitate to plank those who deserve it. As a corollary to the previous observation, I'd add that if a player is being bothersome, please remember that you are likely not the only person who feels such. When you hire jobbers as opposed to just bots, you are assuming some responsibility for their gaming experience. Deciding who deserves to be planked is, of course, a subjective thing, but I've been on more jobs than I'd like where a single unpleasant (read: non-working / rude / terminally disconnected) player dominated the "feel" of the voyage.

. . . divide the booty equitably. I'm always surprised when I'm on vessel that ports after a long voyage and there are no adjustments to the booty division. If a pirate on your ship didn't pull his or her piratey weight, please let the booty division show that. Most jobbers (and, presumably, members of your own crew) board your ship, work diligently, and fight hard, and it's a shame to reward those who didn't at the expense of those who did. Also please consider what to do with the commodities in your hold. Most officers will sell and divvy a bucket of kraken's blood, but less common is an officer who sells and divvies other commods. Commods can make a big difference if there's not many PoE in the hold, and that's doubly so if there's been a PvP battle, where oftentimes the booty is an obscene amount of rum and cb and very few PoE.

. . . be generous. There have been many times when I've hopped aboard a ship, puzzled for several leagues, and received a zero share of the booty because I had the bad luck to arrive after the last battle. While I understand that, strictly speaking, the booty shares represent payment for fighting and not payment for duty-puzzling, I feel that it's a mean (in several senses) officer who doesn't pay jobbers who've worked for more than a league or two. I think that this, maybe more than the loss of the ability to zero somebody out, is one of the greatest downsides to the major booty division change a few updates back; fractional payments used to be much easier for an officer to make. I'm delighted when an officer ups me a share when I've been working for a few leagues, and it doesn't bother me if I'm on the other (battle-tested) side of things to have my cut reduced slightly. However, a simple out-of-pocket payment from the officer accomplishes the same thing with no hard feelings on anybody's part. It needn't be much - even a token payment of 25 PoE is a wonderful gesture.

. . . don't set sail unless you can afford to lose. This is, perhaps, the logical extension of the last request, and I mean it in both a monetary and philosophical sense. We all have bad puzzling days. We all have days when the brigands know our every move two turns in advance, when our shots miss, our carp shapes slip, our sail platforms get filled with the wrong colors, and our bilge gets filled with crabs. If you're a commanding officer, a bad day can mean a booty chest with scant prize money inside. The officers I most respect are those who have a losing voyage but who still ensure that their crew has a good time. From a strictly financial standpoint, it's always nice when an officer contributes some of his or her own PoE to the booty; again, it doesn't have to be much, just enough to let your jobbers walk alway with a jangle in their pockets. More importantly, remember that it's just piracy, and there will be more brigands (gullible, easily killed ones, too!) tomorrow. There's not much I know in the world of YPP that's more miserable than a ship with a mopey officer at the helm. We all play this game in part for the escapism it offers, so sit back, vow to wipe the ocean clean of bot oil another day, and think to yourself how awesome it is that you're sailing a virtual ocean with a bunch of other people silly enough to identify with cartoon pirates.

Heh. That ended up being about twenty times longer than I anticipated. I think there was some pent up jobbing angst there or something. :)
Engine
Independent Jobber o' the Midnight Ocean
Friend to Many Crews. Usually.

Seahag tells you, "they're all identical!"
[Aug 23, 2005 8:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://midnight.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/gallery/?pirate=Engine [Link]  Go to top 
Slilria

Something that I think would be a great addition to this Jobbing How-To, would be to tell greenies what to do if they find themselves not being paid.

Sadly it does happen, where a pirate takes a job and works hard only to find themselves planked during the booty division and not to see any POE for their hard work. We know what to do, but greenies may not know what they are supposed to do.
[Sep 11, 2005 9:29:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bugeye00

actually that was an old thread... but since now we are talking on it again id like to say that on virdian its so hard to get people to join the crew anymore that when i job jobbers i usually job 1 - 2 greenies (with no crew) to get them to join up and also only job either officers captains or those with strong stats (especially in areas i need them). I tend to stray from jobbing greenies that are cabin persons in another crew as they dont do well at the duty stations and they dont join the crew (usually)
If i had that car from "back to the future" Id drive to the past and get some cheap gas

-six, three, hola... whatever
[Sep 11, 2005 1:07:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates