• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 207
Posts: 207   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 35951 times and has 206 replies Next Thread
BlackBeth

<Insert Name Here> Writing Event - Results Posted! Reply to this Post

"We are not amused!" cried Queen Elizabeth, watching the antics of the pirates holding her captive. Glaring at a pirate juggling dead fish, she swept past him in a swish of salt-encrusted skirts and entered the Captain's cabin. How, as a captive, she had managed to commandeer the cabin was something none of the pirates dared ask their displaced and grumpy captain. "I sure hope that guy with the ship named after a deer gets here soon..."

"SQUAWKKKK!"
Feylind sat up abruptly, pulled out of her dream by the loud noise. "Parrots make rotten alarm clocks," she muttered. "But at least it got me out of that crazy dream."
"Squaawwk. Dreamed of pirates." Piro shifted on his perch. "Dreamed of pirates and Edgar Allen Poe! Squawk. Nevermore!"
"You too, huh? I guess that reading that silly story about Charles Darwin in an adventure with pirates right before bed last night was a mistake... You know what? I think I just had a great idea for a writing contest!"

Step 1:
Choose any historical figure. By historical, I mean someone who really lived and died. Not a character from fiction or legend, but a real human being. Feel free to choose someone from any country, profession, or time period. The less they would generally be associated with pirates, the better.

Step 2:
Write a humorous short story about that person having an adventure with pirates.

Required Elements:
1. Title: Your story must be titled "<Your historical figure's name> in an Adventure with Pirates". You may also include a subtitle if you wish.
2. Length: The story should be a minimum of 500 words. Maximum? In recent contests I've seen many authors forced to do some serious pruning on their stories to make them fit a maximum word limit. I would like to see what people come up with when they don't have to delete half their story to make it fit. So make your entry the length you think it should be to tell your story properly. I will impose a maximum of 7,500 words just to spare the sanity of the judges. These are supposed to be short stories, not novellas :-) Also, please remember that longer does not always equal better.
3. Theme: I hope it was obvious from the required title, but your story must be about the historical figure and some pirates.
4. Humor: Again, self explanatory. Shouldn't be too difficult. I mean, can you imaging "Elvis in an Adventure with Pirates" or "Billy the Kid in an Adventure with Pirates" not being hilarious?
5. Pirate ship: the pirate ship in your story should be named in accordance with the Standard Rename policy (adjective fishname). See prize list for details.

Step 3: Submit your story to the ENTRY THREAD. Please note that once you submit, that is considered your final entry. Reposting to fix errors or make changes will not be permitted and all reposts will be ignored.

What to include in your entry:
1. Your Pirate name and ocean.
2. Your story.
3. A list of the prizes in order of preference, if different from the standard order listed below.

Deadline for entries will be 11:59:59pm PDT on June 30th.

Step 4: Sit back, relax, and read all the other stories to keep you amused while you wait on the judges results. Easy, right?

Prizes
1st Place - Award trinket and 1st choice from the prize list below
2nd Place - Award trinket and 2nd choice from the prize list below
3rd Place - Award trinket and 3rd choice from the prize list below
4th-8th - choice in order from prize list below

(Note, the list below is in default order for prizes if you do not specify prize preferences, 1st place will recieve the Turtle, and so on down the list)

Prize List
1. Sleeping Turtle
2. Bronze Neckband Rare Funiture
3. Sloop, renamed to match the ship from your story (pending 4. name availability/OM approval), stocked and painted
4. Sloop, renamed to match the ship from your story (pending name availability/OM approval)
5. Parrot feather trinket (blue/yellow)
6. Nautilus Shell trinket (blue)
7. Lily trinket (blue)
8. Starfish trinket (blue)

Tips and Tricks
I haven't read that book you mention in the introduction; does that matter?
Certainly not. I recommend it if you ever want a silly read but it's in no way needed for the contest. Just pick a historical figure and get writing!

What exactly do you mean by a historical figure?
I mean anyone famous who really lived and died. Yes, they should be dead now. If you aren't sure if your figure is real, an easy way to tell might be to do a quick web search. Can you find birth and death dates listed? If not, it's likely the figure is fictional. King Arthur, for example, though there may be a real figure the legend it based on, is not a historical figure but a mythological one.

There is a huge range of allowable word length for this contest. If my story is only 500 words, will it be competitve?
Yes. Remember, longer isn't always better. The idea is for you to write your story to be the length it needs to be in order to be the best you can make it, without worrying about exactly how many words you used. Stories will be judged by their quality, not their length. A story that takes 5000 words but could have been half as long if it didn't keep flying off on pointless tangents will fare worse than a focused, well-written 1000 word story.

How can I avoid having those annoying boxes (like this ?) show up in the place of my quote marks?
Those boxes show up because the forums are not able to display "smart-quotes", the pretty angled quotation marks and apostrophes some word processing programs use instead of the standard straight vertical ones, as well as a few other special symbols. Remember, smartquote-induced boxes will not show up in preview, only when you actually post!

To avoid them, you have several choices:
1. Write your story directly onto the forums or in a very basic program such as Notepad.
2. Type your story in the word processor of you choice, then past it into Notepad and copy/paste over all the quote marks to replace that smart-quotes with the basic kind.
3. Turn off the smart quotes in your word processor before typing your story:
-- MS Word - Go to Tools --> Autocorrect, and on the 'Autoformat as you Type' and 'Autoformat' tabs, uncheck to Replace "Straight quotes with smart quotes" . Also uncheck any other items on that list you are likely to use in your story. To prevent ... from becoming a box, go to the Autocorrect tab and uncheck "Replace text as you type"
-- Pages (for a Mac) - Go to Pages --> Preferences --> Autocorrection. Uncheck "use smart quotes"
-- Any other program - use the programs Help to find out how to turn off smart quotes.
4. There is an easy way to test for sure that your post will look the way you want it to. Paste your story into a Private Message and send it to yourself. Take a look at the message you recieved, and fix any errors. Then you can just copy the text and paste it into the entry thread.

I forgot my pirate name and ocean in my entry and you said reposts weren't allowed. Can I put the information in my signature?
Yes, having that information in your signature is fine. To edit a signature, go to My Profile --> My Signature. Currently, it takes about a day for signatures to update, so don't panic if you edited signature doesn't show up in your post immediately.

Questions
Please post any questions about the event in this thread or in a PM to me.

Edit: Huzzah! I can change my own thread title now. <3 Liz!
----------------------------------------
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Jul 17, 2007 9:06:21 AM]
[Jun 9, 2007 12:42:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Re: <Insert Name Here> Writing Event - Deadline June 30 Reply to this Post

The first thing that popped into my head was Vlad the Impaler. Followed immediately by...Betsy Ross. Oh lordy. HAHA
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jun 9, 2007 12:49:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Shallows

Do they have to be a dead historical figure...because "Bill Clintons Adventures with Pirates" is an almost must do if not.

I am just curious...if so, that is fine there are plenty of historical figures to choose from...

Thanks.
Rudoc on the Viridian Ocean, Prince of La Dolce Vita, Fleet Officer of the crew Ocean Raiders.
[Jun 9, 2007 12:49:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tvotron

Hee hee, I read that silly book, too. It's worth a read; only took about 2 hours to finish it.

Great idea, as usual, Fey!
Mirunea
Drinking the Kool-aid at The Mad Tea Party.

Amazing avatar by Letara.
[Jun 9, 2007 12:54:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Vampire lady wrote: 
The first thing that popped into my head was Vlad the Impaler. Followed immediately by...Betsy Ross. Oh lordy. HAHA

Just wait, more and more ideas of great protaginists will keep popping into your head. I swear, I had more fun making the list to go in the background of the event banner... I have about half a dozen stories I'd love to write, if only I weren't the event organizer :-)

Shallows wrote: 
Do they have to be a dead historical figure...because "Bill Clintons Adventures with Pirates" is an almost must do if not.

Yes, I am sticking with the dead requirement. Let's keep to rewriting history here, not current events.

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jun 9, 2007 12:55:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

OK, this is just way too much fun.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jun 9, 2007 1:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

OK, this is just way too much fun.
I know. I started drafting stories as soon as I read the events proposal - it's very engaging! If only I were allowed to enter!
[Jun 9, 2007 1:11:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

oooooh

sounds fun

Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Jun 9, 2007 1:14:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Has to be dead eh? Oh well, there goes me Martha Stewart idea......
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jun 9, 2007 1:15:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JD6627

If only Larry the Cable Guy were dead...
Kovy.
...stunned.
[Jun 9, 2007 2:48:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ahoymolly

pirate name: Mollyrose historical figure: Cleopatra

Cleopatra's adventure with pirates!

Cleopatra had fallen asleep for hours, when she finally woke up, she was aboard a pirate ship with her gown in rags! "Ahoy. Welcome aboard the Black Pink Swordfish Miss. Patra" said a voice above her. She opened her eyes to see Captain Jack Sparrow above her! "What am i doing here! I demand an answer!" she shouted. Jack replied " We captured you just fer kicks mate" " What?" Cleopatra replied. "I'm supposed to be getting married, and you captured me for kicks?" "Yep." replied Sparrow. He obviously wasn't joking. " Ye can start in the bilging corner." Jack said. He pointed to a corner of the ship's deck and left. She went to the corner and started bilging. "What are you doing here Miss Patra?" a very proper voice said. She looked twoard the voice. It was Elizabeth Swann. She was obviously bilging as well " Ye were captured too?" said a mans voice. It was Will Turner's voice. he was walking to Elizabeth's side. Suddenly, a voice from nowhere was saying " Wake up cleopatra, the movie isn't over yet, Clio? Patty?" Suddenly she woke up from the dream she was REALLY having. " Cleo, the movie isn't over yet" said Mark, her BF. Obvioulsy, she was at the movie Pirates of the Carribean .
Bellabron on the Viridian ocean<div style="width: 250px; padding: 0; margin: 0; text-align: center"><embed src="http://petswf.bunnyherolabs.com/adopt/swf/penguin" width="250" height="300" quality=&quot
[Jun 9, 2007 3:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ahoymolly

Cleopatra had fallen asleep for hours, when she finally woke up, she was aboard a pirate ship with her gown in rags! "Ahoy. Welcome aboard the Black Pink Swordfish Miss. Patra" said a voice above her. She opened her eyes to see Captain Jack Sparrow above her! "What am i doing here! I demand an answer!" she shouted. Jack replied " We captured you just fer kicks mate" " What?" Cleopatra replied. "I'm supposed to be getting married, and you captured me for kicks?" "Yep." replied Sparrow. He obviously wasn't joking. " Ye can start in the bilging corner." Jack said. He pointed to a corner of the ship's deck and left. She went to the corner and started bilging. "What are you doing here Miss Patra?" a very proper voice said. She looked twoard the voice. It was Elizabeth Swann. She was obviously bilging as well " Ye were captured too?" said a mans voice. It was Will Turner's voice. he was walking to Elizabeth's side. Suddenly, a voice from nowhere was saying " Wake up cleopatra, the movie isn't over yet, Clio? Patty?" Suddenly she woke up from the dream she was REALLY having. " Cleo, the movie isn't over yet" said Mark, her BF. Obvioulsy, she was at the movie Pirates of the Carribean .

i hate mine :(
Bellabron on the Viridian ocean<div style="width: 250px; padding: 0; margin: 0; text-align: center"><embed src="http://petswf.bunnyherolabs.com/adopt/swf/penguin" width="250" height="300" quality=&quot
[Jun 9, 2007 3:13:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ahoymolly

i hate mine :(
btw, i said PINK sworfish.
[Jun 9, 2007 3:14:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Wow, less than 2 and a half hours before the first person entered in the wrong thread!

As a reminder, entries should not be posted here, they should be posted in the Entry Thread in Mariner's Muse <linky>

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jun 9, 2007 3:25:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Bucaneerlass

I have 2 questions. One, Can we change history? For example, my story is about Joan of Arc. Im wondering if i can make it so The Pirates kidnap Joan from her cell and shes not being burned after all...

And two, can we have characters in our story that arent born yet. For example could I have Sir Henry Morgan or Calico Jack in the story even though they werent alive in 1431?

Thanks,
~Nabby
Maddaline Of midnight
[Jun 9, 2007 4:36:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://rr.com    chocoholicgurl@yahoo.com    hartannasilver@aim.com [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

I have 2 questions. One, Can we change history? For example, my story is about Joan of Arc. Im wondering if i can make it so The Pirates kidnap Joan from her cell and shes not being burned after all...

And two, can we have characters in our story that arent born yet. For example could I have Sir Henry Morgan or Calico Jack in the story even though they werent alive in 1431?

Thanks,
~Nabby

Feel free to rewrite history however you choose. This is fiction, after all. As long as you meet the requirements listed in the first post, you can do anything you like with your characters and your story.

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jun 9, 2007 5:00:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

I want Rosy, dammit!
Ship on Sage
[Jun 9, 2007 9:22:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Apollo wrote: 
I know. I started drafting stories as soon as I read the events proposal - it's very engaging! If only I were allowed to enter!

Well, I think Apollo *should* enter :-) Winning a prize would be redundant for him (since he is the one magicking them all up anyway) but if he writes us a story I promise to send him cookies!

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jun 10, 2007 4:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Well, I think Apollo *should* enter :-)
Your wish is my delighted command, fair maid.

*chuckles*
[Jun 10, 2007 7:16:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
different66

yea apollo i wanna beat you at your own game ;)

seriously though, we wanna see your amazing writing skill
Isakara on the Viridian
SO and Diplomat of Light of Hope

Two pieces of wisdom for you:
1) On Immortality: How many famous people can you list? How many names have survived the ages? Those are the true Immortals
2) Semper ubi sub ubi
[Jun 10, 2007 7:25:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bucaneerlass

Can we post multiple entries. /e wants to show her 'Anna Nicole Smith in an adventure with pirates' :D
Maddaline Of midnight
[Jun 10, 2007 7:53:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://rr.com    chocoholicgurl@yahoo.com    hartannasilver@aim.com [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

/e wants to show her 'Anna Nicole Smith in an adventure with pirates' :D
Yohoho! Penthouse Forum is next month. ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jun 10, 2007 8:06:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

seriously though, we wanna see your amazing writing skill
I wish. I'm doing this because it's a fun idea, not because my writing skills are great. :)
[Jun 10, 2007 8:10:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Can we post multiple entries. /e wants to show her 'Anna Nicole Smith in an adventure with pirates' :D

Wow, I completely forgot to include "one entry per person" in the list of rules. I'm not going to add it now though; I can't edit the first post, and I hate the idea of sticking important rules 20 posts down in the thread where no one will see them. So yes, multiple entries will be permitted. Please don't spam the entry thread with a zillion entries, though. I can pretty much guarantee that submitting one well-planned and edited entry will give you a better chance of a prize than 20 spur-of-the-moment ones.

And I sooo don't pay attention to current events. I was about to say you couldn't use Anna Nicole 'cause she's not dead... oops. Good thing I double-checked. (Yes, I had heard about it, but I forgot the name; the lives of actors and socialites are not "news" in my mind, so tend they go in one ear and out the other.)

Apollo wrote: 
I wrote: 
Well, I think Apollo *should* enter :-)

Your wish is my delighted command, fair maid.

*chuckles*

Yay!

Oh, wait, my wish is your command? I wish for 24 shanghai points so I can finish my alphabet sloop collection...

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jun 10, 2007 8:12:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Bucaneerlass

Anna Nicole Smith is dead.
Maddaline Of midnight
[Jun 10, 2007 8:24:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://rr.com    chocoholicgurl@yahoo.com    hartannasilver@aim.com [Link]  Go to top 
Bucaneerlass

Sorry to Double Post, But I misunderstood. OK. Sorry.
Maddaline Of midnight
[Jun 10, 2007 8:28:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://rr.com    chocoholicgurl@yahoo.com    hartannasilver@aim.com [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I woke up at 5 am with...Sammy Davis Junior in my head.

LMAO I'm having more fun just imaginining all these folks in my pirate story than actually bothering to write something. Bwahahaha.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jun 10, 2007 9:22:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
lizperk23

LMAO I'm having more fun just imaginining all these folks in my pirate story than actually bothering to write something. Bwahahaha.

QFT. For me, it was Harper Lee.
"Yohoho the winds blow free-oh for the life of the rolling sea!"
Jollylady on Viridian
[Jun 11, 2007 6:18:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FallenTree

I noticed Theodore Geisel in the banner. That one looked amusing.
Bullettime on Hunter Ocean
Retired? Yeah, let's go with that.
[Jun 11, 2007 9:25:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

Are JFK and Elvis off limits? The National Enquirer keeps printing sightings but the U.S. government claims they are dead. Of course, they keep telling us we're winning in Iraq too, but whatever...

;)
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Jun 11, 2007 9:30:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 207   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates