• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Announcement Thread
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 46669 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Cephalopod
Developer

How To Access The Ice Ocean Reply to this Post

The Ice ocean is a testing ocean, which requires a separate client than the standard Puzzle Pirates client.

More information, along with links to download the client is available in its YPPedia page:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Ice_Ocean

In particular, please see the section titled "Access to Ice" for details about the exact requirements to log in.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cephalopod at Sep 30, 2009 4:46:51 PM]
[Jun 4, 2007 10:45:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubbaduck

Re: How To Access The Ice Ocean Reply to this Post

I just installed the Ice client on my Linux machine and when I run it I just get the dialog window with a "Logon" button, it won't let me type my user name. It was the same with the main client, but there I could create a new account and then restart and log on to the old one. That isn't possible with the Ice client.

How the heck do I log on to Ice first time?

PS
Running PP on an ASUS eee isn't easy, but it works
DS
Rubbaduck
Captain of Tubby Toys on Ice

- Small, but dedicated
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Rubbaduck at Feb 10, 2008 3:34:35 AM]
[Feb 9, 2008 4:26:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

I just installed the Ice client on my Linux machine and when I run it I just get the dialog window with an OK button, it won't let me type my user name. It was the same with the main client, but there I could create a new account and then restart and log on to the old one. That isn't possible with the Ice client.

How the heck do I log on to Ice first time?

I'm guessing from your description you mean that you get the page saying that your account doesn't meet the requirements for accessing a test server, and gives you a "Logon" button (not an "OK" button as described)

If that's the case, there should be a button at the top left of the screen that says "I have an account", and if you click that, it will take you to the normal login page. If that's not the case, you're going to need to describe what you're seeing a little better than "I just get the dialog window with an OK button"
[Feb 9, 2008 12:30:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubbaduck

Thanks Cephalopod. I found it!

My screen is so small that the edges of the window doesn't show..
Rubbaduck
Captain of Tubby Toys on Ice

- Small, but dedicated
[Feb 10, 2008 3:36:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zagu

I need to create a normal account to access ice ocean?
The ocean is limited to non-subscribers? Or no?
Sopermans, Viridian Ocean!
[Feb 13, 2008 10:21:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Cephalopod, in the FIRST POST wrote: 
The Ice ocean is a testing ocean, which requires a separate client than the standard Puzzle Pirates client.

More information, along with links to download the client is available in its YPPedia page :

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Ice_Ocean

Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Feb 13, 2008 11:35:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Wilderking

Excuse me but I am not a subscriber and I have never bought dubs with cash and I was wondering can I get the Ice Ocean just by downloading the client.
Yes it is LEGO Indiana Jones you dopes.
[Feb 16, 2008 7:53:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

nope. please see the link via the post above yours
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Feb 16, 2008 8:38:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arcturus
Developer

As of today's update, we've moved the linux installation file back to "test-install.bin" instead of "yohoho-install.bin" to be consistent with the rest of the installation filenames.
[Apr 15, 2008 3:03:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

I've had Ice for a very long time, and now I am having issues launching. When I try to log on it says:

The application has failed due to a missing resource:http://download.threerings.net/aclient/20080423160213/digest.txt

Please visit
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/Installation.xhtml for information on how to handle such problems.

I tried to download again and got:
Error opening file for writing:
C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\ Puzzle Pirates Test\RegistryKey.dll

Click Abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

Never mind, I hit ignore and its fixed now.
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by moonmaiden79 at Apr 23, 2008 6:30:25 PM]
[Apr 23, 2008 5:44:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Excuse me but I am not a subscriber and I have never bought dubs with cash and I was wondering can I get the Ice Ocean just by downloading the client.

My question is, does By cash mean not trading poe, but paying real money? or does it mean by check or money order?
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[May 1, 2008 7:29:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

My question is, does By cash mean not trading poe, but paying real money? or does it mean by check or money order?

Well they don't mean that you have to front up with greenbacks at their office (as sending real money though the mail is a bad idea/illegal in some places)
I would think any sort of actual payment by any of the available payment options would give you access. I've paid by credit card (which isn't "cash") for doubloons and have access to Ice.
[May 1, 2008 8:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Well they don't mean that you have to front up with greenbacks at their office (as sending real money though the mail is a bad idea/illegal in some places)
I would think any sort of actual payment by any of the available payment options would give you access. I've paid by credit card (which isn't "cash") for doubloons and have access to Ice.

Thanks =D then I'm good... Dad just bought dubs on my account the other day, so now I will play on Ice, Viridian and Sage today =D Thank ye very much!

Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[May 2, 2008 11:31:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
hiven

ok well i just tryed to download ice ocean today it worked yesterday i use a cpu that wipes all programs but the regulars and i noticed today it kept giveing me a error message and i was wondering if theres any alternative download for the ocean but the Yppedia link
Hivenst Captain of Sage Subrunners on Sage
Hivenst Captain of ye scallywags on ice

Founder of The Advengers (sage)
[Jun 18, 2008 7:28:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    stevienelli8@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Well, what kind of computer do you have, and what kind of error message do you get?

I assume by "a cpu that wipes all programs" you mean that your computer's disk is "ghosted" back to a cleanly installed state every time it reboots or so.

The link from YPPedia is the only official installer for the Ice client.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Jun 18, 2008 10:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
hiven

its working now i have a dell adn some crazy stuff for software :P
Hivenst Captain of Sage Subrunners on Sage
Hivenst Captain of ye scallywags on ice

Founder of The Advengers (sage)
[Jun 18, 2008 11:13:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    stevienelli8@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
snowflakej

hi all i was just wondering is the ice ocean just a test a the mo or will they launch in soon cos i haven't played on it yet
[Jul 20, 2008 7:47:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

It has always been and will likely always be a test ocean, so to access it you'll have to subscribe or buy some doubloons.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Jul 20, 2008 11:19:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Ice is the place where new software is tested before it reaches the other oceans. So whenever a new feature is added to Ice, you can expect to see it within a few weeks in a new release. The releases are updated on all production oceans on the same day: Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage, Hunter, Malachite and Opal are all "production" oceans.

Naturally, most features undergo quite a change during the testing cycles. And some never make it - for a while on Ice, familiars were not tradable at all. But the features that never make it are removed from Ice as well, in order to keep the code synchronized and testable.

Some things you will not see released are: Ice's particular design and layout of islands, six-slot and ten-slot Treasure Drop, absurdly low commodity prices, and absurdly high fountain payouts (brigands/barbarians, Navy pay.)

YPPedia article on Ice Ocean, for more information.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by chupchup at Jul 20, 2008 11:44:45 PM]
[Jul 20, 2008 11:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Sexcutioner

Why cant i play on the ice ocean? ive downloaded the client but when i open it all i get is a little box just saying yohoho! puzzle pirates
Sexecutioner on the Midnight and Cobalt oceans
FO and Roustabout of Bootleggers

~Collector of Saucy Sloops~
[Aug 20, 2008 3:07:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kasey1720

How can I use my pirate from Midnight on the Ice ocean?
[Sep 28, 2008 10:44:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Riz

You can't, any more than you can use any pirate from one ocean on another ocean. You create a new pirate on Ice.

Additionally, there is no need for you to have posted this question twice. Here was the right place for it.
[Sep 28, 2008 10:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gabraite

Hi,
i got Acer with Windows xp and tried to download ice, but after 4 attempts to download it (each time i uninstalled and deleted all files) i keep getting the same message : "We were unable to download the necessary files attempts. You can try running, the aplication again, but if it fails you may need to uninstall and reinstall." so i keep uninstalling and reinstalling, but it's always the same... any thoughts why?

Justfriend from Cobalt
[Nov 6, 2008 1:19:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Have a look at the note here.
[Nov 6, 2008 2:18:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

I'm having the same problem as justfriend, and the note linked doesn't help.

Any other ideas?

Edited to add: When I try running it as Admin, I get the message "unable to access jarfile getdown-drop.jar"

HALP PLZ!
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Edit 1 times, last edit by senorita_esp at Feb 7, 2009 1:20:57 AM]
[Feb 6, 2009 9:30:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

Ahoy there! After looking about the wiki and some other related forum threads I've decided to post here as I cannot find the answer I am looking for. I am trying to find out why the Ice Ocean is limited to subscribers and purchasers of doubloons but so far haven't found anything.

The Ice Ocean is one that I've always been interested in finding out about (and is actually an ocean that I would like to move to permanently) but as I'd have to buy doubloons every 30 days to access it, going there just isn't an option. There isn't a guarantee that I'd be able to purchase doubloons at a constant rate of 30 days.

At the moment I'm typing this, the Ice Ocean currently has 3 players online according to the Ocean status page. If the Ice Ocean was opened up to a greater extent (not necessarily to all players, but to a greater number) then progress made in testing should be much more rapid and players like myself that dream of sailing the Ice Ocean can achieve their ambitions.

I personally think that I could make a modest contribution to testing on Ice and I daresay there are many other players that feel the same. Unfortunately, myself (and probably many other players) are limited by the fact that the ocean is limited to paying players.

So, why is the Ice Ocean limited in this way and is there any possibility of this ocean opening up so that it can be accessed by more players?

Thanks, Guppyzra.

For reference, here is the text from the wiki:

Access to Ice is usually limited to paying customers, unless the restrictions have been temporarily waived by a developer for testing purposes. Ice is typically considered a subscriber ocean, and as such, does not normally feature doubloons or badges. Subscription players from Midnight or Cobalt have full access as long as they are current subscribers. Non-subscribers can access the test server if they have purchased at least 24 doubloons with cash within the previous thirty days. If a player from a doubloon ocean wishes to subscribe using doubloons instead of cash, they may do so by visiting the "Coinscribe" page - also known as "Dubscription." One month of access costs 42 doubloons.

Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Sep 8, 2009 8:28:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

At the moment I'm typing this, the Ice Ocean currently has 3 players online according to the Ocean status page. If the Ice Ocean was opened up to a greater extent (not necessarily to all players, but to a greater number) then progress made in testing should be much more rapid and players like myself that dream of sailing the Ice Ocean can achieve their ambitions.

I suspect you are correct, that allowing more players would improve testing. In particular, I think it cuts out far too many dub ocean players.

Maybe anyone who qualifies to be a greeter could be given unsubscribed access to Ice?
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Sep 8, 2009 9:11:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mennik

I suspect you are correct, that allowing more players would improve testing. In particular, I think it cuts out far too many dub ocean players.

Maybe anyone who qualifies to be a greeter could be given unsubscribed access to Ice?

the testers that are needed to test the huge things are always on the ice ocean and when a big release comes out there are 50-60 people online so these things are tested verry well

and ice is and always will stay a exlusive ocean
mennik-sage/ice
needle-ice
and nick-man4 on all other communitys
[Sep 8, 2009 9:37:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

I fully endorse this suggestion.

the testers that are needed to test the huge things are always on the ice ocean and when a big release comes out there are 50-60 people online so these things are tested verry well
I also agree that new releases are tested very well (as is proved when they hit the standard oceans) but I believe that opening up Ice to more players would mean that they could be tested better and give more players the opportunity to experience a totally different community.

ice is and always will stay a exlusive ocean
Sorry mate, but you have no authority to say that. Please remember to deal with your opinions accordingly.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Sep 8, 2009 9:45:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Unfortunately, more hands on deck does not mean more work gets done when it comes to 'testing'.

All that Ice does is ensure that when new features are introduced, they are used "sufficiently" there before being released to production oceans. If the current model is "sufficient", then there is no benefit in encouraging any more people to go there. It is clear that the devs can choose to make Ice open to all at times where a real stress test is necessary, but equally clearly they are happy with the present situation.

Look at it this way: a feature needs to be used 100 or 1000 times without failure to be 'tested'. There are currently sufficient players willing to do that. Testing it a million times is not going to find that really weird defect which only happens at 4 a.m. on Friday 31st of months with an R in them.

Testing (in the random sense, like Ice has) is the worst possible way of detecting defects, although that is not to say that it isn't a convenient safety net. Obviously players test "for free", but if they submit bug reports - and especially if lots of players were to submit duplicate bug reports - developers need to look at those and spend time and valuable zots.

All developers (no matter how poor) do sanity testing - does it compile, does it work for me - but each developer has different ways of ensuring that the code produced is of the best quality. These should start off with doing the fundamentals correctly (and OOO clearly does), but even a supergenius like me can make silly mistakes. A mere genius like all our devs are could likely eliminate 95% of my residual mistakes for the cost of 20% of an FTE, using best practices. That means that if I developed 5 days a week and produced 5 features and there were two defects on my own, by instead producing 4 features in 4 days and working half a day together with someone else, there would only be one defect every 10 weeks. By comparison, if my manager wanted that daily new feature out of me, and insisted that random user testing catch all the defects, catching 50% of them would be an extremely good result if I had either a single trained Q&A person employed 2-3 days a week, or 100 users and a full-time employee to filter all the "bug reports" which aren't actually bugs but rather people who don't know how to use computers.
[Sep 8, 2009 9:47:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates