• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 3644
Posts: 3644   Pages: 122   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 349533 times and has 3643 replies Next Thread
Smurrf

Need Help Searching? Got a New Suggestion? Ask a Poster! Reply to this Post

This is the place to come to, if you need help in finding a particular thread or discussion OR if you have a new suggestion that might possibly have already been discussed before, but you can't quite find it. Simply ask yer question, and one of our helpful forum-dwellers will dig yer answer right up.

Following are updated links to resources. - Faulkston

• The List includes ideas already given approval by the Game Developers. However this is not a delivery schedule and as the game gets updated, some of the ideas may become obsolete or unnecessary.
  • The Anti-list contains ideas disapproved by the Game Developers. Note that they're not totally ruled out but the Game Developers often had some fairly strong objections. Any further discussion on such ideas should start by addressing these objections, although the Game Developers are fairly firm on philosophical objections e.g. personal firearms in Puzzle Pirates.
  • Commonly discussed ideas is a fairly comprehensive listing of previously proposed ideas. In general the Game Developers have not given approval nor disapproval of these ideas.

----------------------------------------
Hermit Smurrf
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Jul 17, 2009 5:46:48 PM]
[Mar 15, 2004 6:49:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Need Help Searching? Got a New Suggestion? Ask a Poster! Reply to this Post

More search tips: If you want to find out what the devs have been saying recently, a search for posts by Cleaver and Nemo every couple days will keep you sated. A more infrequent search for Peghead's, Bluebeard's, Red's, and Jack's posts rounds out the development team.

Edit: tedv has been added to the roster and has a number of posts. Please be aware that he was a player before he was a developer (public hiring Announcement 27 Oct 2004)

Hussar and Calrissian have also joined the crew, but I can't find posts by them yet.

Searching for posts by Oceanmasters is also quite useful.

[color=#ef7700:d68c0977cf]Thread bilged! Previous replies can be found here[color=#ef7700:d68c0977cf]. -- Smythe

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 16, 2004 1:05:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
pwhamil

Yay. I get to be the first to start on the clean thread. I had a suggestion for game design. How about bolding the navy ranks on your stat page (similar to the experience). The higher you go, the more they stand out.

I did a search for bold + stat and bold + rank, but came up empty. Has this been brought up?
RocketBoy
SO, Thicker Than Blood
[Mar 7, 2005 8:15:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

No, it has not been brought up before.
[Mar 7, 2005 8:33:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Is there a thread to discuss Merchants selling dockside? The Beta palace was sold 15 elderberries this morning, when our buy price (180) was far below the highest buy price on the island (253, and at least half a dozen other stalls buying at 190 or 200) - and none of the merchants have sold any of us hemp fer a couple of weeks now even with multiple shops/stalls asking fer hundreds of it at 6poe each (and Vernal Eq spawned merchies used to supply us regularly with all the hemp we needed at 5).

I'm at a loss as to whether this goes in Game Design or is a bug.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Mar 7, 2005 10:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Sounds like a bug.
[Mar 8, 2005 12:11:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

tcarr wrote: 
Is there a thread to discuss Merchants selling dockside? The Beta palace was sold 15 elderberries this morning, when our buy price (180) was far below the highest buy price on the island (253, and at least half a dozen other stalls buying at 190 or 200) - and none of the merchants have sold any of us hemp fer a couple of weeks now even with multiple shops/stalls asking fer hundreds of it at 6poe each (and Vernal Eq spawned merchies used to supply us regularly with all the hemp we needed at 5).

I'm at a loss as to whether this goes in Game Design or is a bug.

Actually I dont think its either. I think the palace was just buying more elderberries than the other buyers. Check and see if thats the case. Merchants don't just sell to the higher buy price, how many units can be bought is also looked at by the merchants. This is because the amount of poe collected from more units bought will be more than a higher buy price with less units bought, with some exceptions.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:02:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

but why wouldn't the merchies just make multiple sales to the 6 highest offers then? there's no bonus for selling in volume.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:08:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Do ye mean that if I be asking fer 500 hemp at 5 and there be another shop asking fer 200 hemp at 6, that the other shop will NOT get any hemp at all? That's ridiculous. Any intelligent merchant (ok, i know these be AI bots) would sell as much as possible to the highest bidder, and only then sell to lower bidders.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:08:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

Higher payoffs for brigands attacking from bigger boats? Reply to this Post

Im not sure if this has been brought up or not or where I would put this. But under the current circumstances where I would be in a full cutter and sailing from one island to another and a war brig would attack me. Even though our pirates may be equal in strength and members the brigands with the war brig is far more powerful. With brigands having a shoot first grapple later intelligence with the higher ratings, you have to shoot them alot just to be able to win the battle because they shoot you twice in one turn. Not just that, But i know that i can make 3-6k on a sloop per battle with 7 people. Theres no reason why being on a cutter and having 11 people being attacked by a war brig should make us use up a huge percentage of our cannonballs and make only 1600-2000 poe in the battle.

If you are gonna allow the brigands to attack smaller ships with way less fire power and brigands who counter your every move and shoot you at least a few times during the battle... you cant give a less pay off for more pirates and having to use more of your shot to break even on damage.

I think a fair thing to do would be allow a cutter to shoot twice per turn, and give a slightly higher pay off for bigger brigand ships attacking smaller player boats. or stop the war brigs from attacking the cutters. But there still should be a higher pay off attacking bigger boats. Right now its best to take out sloops to make more poe and i think it should be the same to take out any boat.

Also this is a huge problem on Cobalt ocean because the percentage of greenies to subscribers are around 50% or higher at the moment.. Pay offs are just really low, and make me decide sometimes not to job because i know its gonna be 4-5-10 greenies. I dont mind training one greenie at a time but i cant sit and train 5 greenies all asking me questions at the same time. I just dont have the time to do that and still have fun.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:21:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

tcarr wrote: 
Do ye mean that if I be asking fer 500 hemp at 5 and there be another shop asking fer 200 hemp at 6, that the other shop will NOT get any hemp at all? That's ridiculous. Any intelligent merchant (ok, i know these be AI bots) would sell as much as possible to the highest bidder, and only then sell to lower bidders.

Alot of the time this is the way it works. But it usually happens when its worth it to sell to the highest bidder. The way it works just makes it so you cant figure out a way to cheat the system. If your way was the only way that happens. Someone would be able to open 2 stalls. One stall pays 500 for something but only offers to buy 1. While the other stall also owned by the same people can pay the highest price which is lower then the rest of the ocean but buys alot of it and get all the commodity, whatever it is.

This is of course assuming 500 poe is alot for whatever the commodity is as an example.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:26:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

yes but is it really that hard for the merchies to do the simple accounting of delivering to 1 hemp @6, and 500 hemp @ 5 and 400 hemp @4 to alpha, versus 900 hemp @ 5 to Byrne? seems pretty straightforward and obvious economic rationality.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:33:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

sweetnessc wrote: 
yes but is it really that hard for the merchies to do the simple accounting of delivering to 1 hemp @6, and 500 hemp @ 5 and 400 hemp @4 to alpha, versus 900 hemp @ 5 to Byrne? seems pretty straightforward and obvious economic rationality.

Well no, because that wouldnt be fair to the guy buying 900 at 5. He is still paying more he's just buying in bulk.
[Mar 8, 2005 6:38:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

It's my understanding that completely solving the question of "How much do I sell at which island to maximize profits with two or three different comodities" is NP-Complete, which means it's computationally expensive.

So, presumably, there are simplifying guesses in there somewhere.
I think they will decide "I can unload all my hemp here for X, or there for Y". I don't think they concern with "I can sell some here here, and some hemp there". I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree, sell 900@5, higher total pay.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 10, 2005 6:31:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The fractional knapsack problem is simple, the 0-1 knapsack problem is NP Complete. If the merchies had to sell all their stuff to a single buyer at a single port, then that would be NP complete. However, selling to highest buy price until that buyer isn't taking any more, and then comparing the next highest buy price here versus the next island - that's easy.

It makes absolutely no sense for the merchies to sell to a buyer at a given port when that buyer does not have the highest buy price at that port. But I have seen this happen.
[Mar 10, 2005 8:52:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

apparently what i think is straightforward and obvious isn't, so i'll make it explicit instead.

scenario: delivering to 1 hemp @6, and 500 hemp @ 5 and 400 hemp @4 to alpha, versus 900 hemp @ 5 to Byrne.

assume merchies have 850 hemp and have to pass alpha to get to byrne.

delivery of 850 hemp to alpha yields 1 x 6 + 500 x 5 + 349 x 4 = 3902 poe

delivery of 850 hemp to byrne yields 850 x 5 = 4250

the economically rational thing for the merchies to do is to deliver to byrne, unless estimated rum and pillaging losses are more than 348

i would have thought that would be a fairly simple calculation for the merchies to do, even if calculating the price breakpoint for how much they deliver to alpha and how much gets delivered to byrne would be unfeasible

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 11, 2005 7:50:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

sweetnessc wrote: 
scenario: delivering to 1 hemp @6, and 500 hemp @ 5 and 400 hemp @4 to alpha, versus 900 hemp @ 5 to Byrne.

assume merchies have 850 hemp and have to pass alpha to get to byrne.

delivery of 850 hemp to alpha yields 1 x 6 + 500 x 5 + 349 x 4 = 3902 poe

delivery of 850 hemp to byrne yields 850 x 5 = 4250

the economically rational thing for the merchies to do is to deliver to byrne, unless estimated rum and pillaging losses are more than 348

but if they have to pass alpha to get to byrne wouldn't it make sense to sell 501 at alpha (1 at 6 and 500 at 5) and then continue to byrne to sell the rest?

And right now, any Vernal Eq spawned hemp has to pass Beta, which is asking fer 200+ hemp at 7, 600+ at 6, and more at 5 and 4 - then the next possible market is 10 leagues away. Ye have to go 15 leagues to get another market that be buying at 7. It isn't a case of just one unit being priced higher to intice the merchies. Why can't me weavery on Beta get a reasonable amount of hemp from merchies, when I'm buying at 7?
[Mar 11, 2005 8:55:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

it does make sense, but i understood from what was said above that it would be too computationally difficult to have it make those calculations.

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 11, 2005 1:17:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Currently, the "yourself" color for Drinking games changes between each game (i.e. in a 2-player contest you are randomly yellow or purple). Has there been a suggestion to make, for display purposes only, the color representing yourself is a constant color (like, for all Drinking games, or maybe only for 2-player Drinking games, you are yellow and your opponent is purple, as viewed from your own screen).

Already searched: drinking color constant, drinking player color
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Mar 12, 2005 2:53:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

I don't remember reading about constant colors for drinking contests.
[Mar 12, 2005 3:08:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
genlang

I wish.... Reply to this Post

I wish duty stations were numbered. That way I can say, "Sailing stations 6 and 7, carp 3, and bilge 4-8 are open. Please take a station!"

I wish I could click on a duty station and it would take me to the nearest open duty station of that type.

I wish every ship that has carousing puzzles aboard could also have a tourny board, so we can FINALLY have _____-only tournies.

I wish I had a pony.
Arabella @ Azure, Midnight, Ice, Cobalt, & Viridian
[Mar 15, 2005 7:39:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

Except for http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=3521&highlight=last+lines+log , which doesn't really ask for what I'm suggesting... I want to suggest that the last x lines or x mintues of a chat log be shown in-game after logging in as a character. Anything already posted?

search: last lines log
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[Mar 17, 2005 11:08:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: I wish.... Reply to this Post

genlang wrote: 
I wish duty stations were numbered. That way I can say, "Sailing stations 6 and 7, carp 3, and bilge 4-8 are open. Please take a station!"

Suggested before: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=13668

genlang wrote: 
I wish I could click on a duty station and it would take me to the nearest open duty station of that type.

Suggested before, most recently here: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=293341#293341

genlang wrote: 
I wish every ship that has carousing puzzles aboard could also have a tourny board, so we can FINALLY have _____-only tournies.

Hasn't been suggested before for all ship sizes. Grand Frigates are usually the ship of choice for tournaments due to capacity.

genlang wrote: 
I wish I had a pony.

Suggested before... wait nevermind.
[Mar 17, 2005 11:22:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

AySz88 wrote: 
Except for http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=3521&highlight=last+lines+log , which doesn't really ask for what I'm suggesting... I want to suggest that the last x lines or x mintues of a chat log be shown in-game after logging in as a character. Anything already posted?

search: last lines log

That's the closest I remember to what you're asking for.
[Mar 17, 2005 11:29:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
genlang

Faulkston wrote: 
genlang wrote: 

Suggested before: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=13668

Not quite what I'm wishing for. I want the station duty markers to have numbers on them, or the pictures to have numbers, or some sort of label to have numbers on the station itself. Thus when I tell Greenie, "Man sailing station 7" said greenie can look at all the stations as s/he stalks around the ship and find station 7. When I'm doing pillage herding, I can call out, "Sailing stations 1 and 8, Carp 2 and 4, and bilge 3 are open" and people will know where to go. I've been doing, "Front top sailing station is open, bilge down of the wheel is open" and it's... ooky. Numbers are shorter and more consistant. I know it's a very very low priority item, but I still wish for it :)
Arabella @ Azure, Midnight, Ice, Cobalt, & Viridian
[Mar 18, 2005 4:35:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

genlang wrote: 
Faulkston wrote: 
genlang wrote: 

Not quite what I'm wishing for. I want the station duty markers to have numbers on them, or the pictures to have numbers, or some sort of label to have numbers on the station itself. Thus when I tell Greenie, "Man sailing station 7" said greenie can look at all the stations as s/he stalks around the ship and find station 7. When I'm doing pillage herding, I can call out, "Sailing stations 1 and 8, Carp 2 and 4, and bilge 3 are open" and people will know where to go. I've been doing, "Front top sailing station is open, bilge down of the wheel is open" and it's... ooky. Numbers are shorter and more consistant. I know it's a very very low priority item, but I still wish for it :)

This changes the problem to knowing where the station numbers are. That's not bad in itself but there's still going to be a learning curve. At least the commanding officer would know where to direct other players.
[Mar 18, 2005 4:41:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Kind of similar thread I started:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=16046
Same problem, slightly different solution.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Mar 18, 2005 4:42:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xaniac

tired of shouting on islands Reply to this Post

Does anyone know if theres been a discussion on whether there should be some kind of market place for people that are looking to either sell or buy?

If so could you point me to it so I can see the result?
[Mar 18, 2005 9:25:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Consignment shoppes: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=770
[Mar 18, 2005 9:29:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

My seaching is horrible.

Where's the thread that talks about what you can and cannot paint in ships?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 19, 2005 8:05:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 3644   Pages: 122   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates