• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 197
Posts: 197   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 49348 times and has 196 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Art Forum: Swashbuckling Reply to this Post

[size=18]Art Forum

[size=10]Welcome to the Puzzle Pirates Art Forum. In the effort to foster an even tighter artistic community I propose this Art Forum. Here I hope to have players of varying skills meeting, sharing, learning and producing artwork.

The Process:
1) I will propose a topic. The topic will be open-ended and serve as a guideline for your piece.
2) Anyone who wants to play along can then make a picture that fits the topic and post it here along with any comments.
3) Anyone participating can then post comments (praise, suggestions, etc.) about any pieces so far that week.
4) After about a week we all do another, and so on.

[size=10]I want there to be a wide range of skills here so that we can all learn from each other. Don't be intimidated by posters who have obvious skill. They got there one drawing at a time, the same way you can.

General guidelines:
- Keep it brief.
- Have fun.

Guidelines for submission:
- Work must be original, of course
- If you used reference or preliminary drawings please post them too so we can see the process.
- If your image is bigger than, say, 200x200 pixels, provide a link instead of posting directly in the forum. However, a smaller version within your post would be good too.
- The topic is a suggestion. Use it to generate ideas or ignore it completely.
- Everything else is open. Whatever medium you like, whatever style, scheme or composition.

Guidelines for critique:
- You must give more than just "I like it." Say why so that the artist (and all the rest of us) can know what worked well and what didn't.
- Don't bring in issues from the game. This community has been very good about leaving in-game conflicts in-game, but I just want to reiterate.
- Enjoy yourselves. We're all going to be talking about each others' work and we are all works-in-progress. Relax and learn with us and promote the same feeling.

I hope you all have fun with this.

This week's topic is: SWASHBUCKLING

Here's mine (it's also a bit of a teaser for the upcoming site revamp)

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemo at Mar 11, 2004 7:29:21 AM]
[Mar 11, 2004 7:29:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NikellsUK

Re: Art Forum: Swashbuckling Reply to this Post

Excellent!

Should be a great place for the really skilled artistic people to rub off on me ;)

I've already learned so much from you guys and i've only been here a week or so.
Nikells[size=9]
-Pirate
The Nameless Corsairs
Under the flag Looterati
[Mar 11, 2004 7:36:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com    NikelliusUK [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Nemo, I like it because it's featuring the hat you're working on for the ladies! :p The hair is really nice, and I love the detail on the vest. Good palette, and fun because it's not direcly from game colors.

A question, too, though - what's the secondary light source to our left? Don't see too much in the game that could give off a blue glow.

atteSmythe,
who was going to ask for advice on work in progress in exactly this same format. Whee!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 11, 2004 7:44:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

atteSmythe wrote: 
A question, too, though - what's the secondary light source to our left? Don't see too much in the game that could give off a blue glow.

It's general reflected light. A strong secondary light source gives a feeling of being outdoors where the sunlight is so strong it bounces off everything. The blue because sunlight is a warm orange, so even it's own reflected light seems blue in comparison (and is, due to blue's wavelength).
I made it a bit stronger than usual since I'm assuming she's standing on a vessel, where there would be a great deal of reflected light from the water. Maybe it's a bit too strong?

I hope to see images from both of you up here soon!
-Nemo points to the rules
[Mar 11, 2004 8:21:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Wow, this looks spiffy. I've always enjoyed looking at the art that everyone does and having something that gets people to draw more is a Good Thing (tm). Heck, I might even be tempted to try drawing something myself. Sure, I may not be as good as the others, and I don't even know how to color them (heck, I don't even have a proper image editing software), but, um, you know...why not?
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Mar 11, 2004 8:27:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Dorel wrote: 
Sure, I may not be as good as the others, and I don't even know how to color them (heck, I don't even have a proper image editing software), but, um, you know...why not?

That's exactly the point, mate! This is to help artists of all skill levels by sharing our processes with each other and having an excuse to practice. Besides, the rules specifically state that you have to make a picture now anyway. So either way you're doing a bit of drawing for us. Welcome aboard!

-Nemo knew he put that in there for a reason.
[Mar 11, 2004 8:30:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Hrm. Finished artwork only, or are doodles and sketches 'legal'? When teachers bore me, I do dozens of sketches o' little pirates in various piratey poses, but none that I really have the willpower to finish through and complete.
[Mar 11, 2004 8:56:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArtistGirl

I will find a way to get something... Reply to this Post

Arrrrt! Yey!

Wait... I have no scanner...

The horror. =)

And now that I posted I must do something...
Angela
All grown-up.
[Mar 11, 2004 9:14:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NikellsUK

I'll go first then.

Drawing

Reference drawing

Drew this out on paper, scanned it into illustrator then got sick of it and rushed drawing the lines and colouring it :(

I'll do something better tommorrow.
Nikells[size=9]
-Pirate
The Nameless Corsairs
Under the flag Looterati
[Mar 11, 2004 9:47:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com    NikelliusUK [Link]  Go to top 
ArtistGirl

Blah, blah, blah... just look at the pretty picture... Reply to this Post

Haha! Found something of mine*.

Had to use my friends scanner for the sketch and GIMP for my first ever attempt this computer-coloring-thing. Only using something premade since it's tough to go to my friend's every time I need to scan something.

Was ment to be an avatar for myself but, I'm too lazy to do anymore. Was hard enough to make her face not look like fish without a nose.

For swashbuckly-ness... she has a sword... and a box...

And Nikells that is adorable and swashbuckling.

[size=9]*Forgive the total lack of movement and background. Also excuse the saucy-ness.
Angela
All grown-up.
[Mar 11, 2004 10:41:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

First thing that came to my head:
http://drabil.mit.edu/~sarah/Drawings/Swash%20web%20copy.jpg

It's a bit swashy and sketchy too. I did this entirely on the computer using Photoshop Elements and my Wacom tablet. First, I did an uber-sketchy layer. Then I did the black outlines, the black shading and then the white shading. I put the color in behind both layers (with each color on a seperate layer), locked the transparency of each layer and shaded it using the air brush tool. Put it all together, save it as a jpeg and post.
Total time: about 4 hours.

and it has the issues. I'll post comments on the rest as I get time.
:-)
this is such a great idea.
:-)
~Skal

Edit: Oh yeah, the rope's supposed to be attached to a ship. Ever hear of the black ship? well, this is the Invisible ship... yeah...
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Mar 11, 2004 11:05:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
FyreFaerie

atteSmythe wrote: 

It's a computer screen. She's a PP addict.

And Nemoy [I changed your name to protect your identity], your drawing is fantastic. Maybe straighten the hair and make it dark brown... the hat and pants should be maroon, the shirt aqua... </me looks at her own avatar for more reference...> yep, that's about it!

/me smiles innocently
fyre / fyrefaerie / laura
Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
@chicgeek on twitter
[Mar 11, 2004 12:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.laurakishimoto.ca    girlthatisgeek    girlthatisgeek    24427833 [Link]  Go to top 
FyreFaerie

Sorry to bastardize your art, Nemoy... ;) But.... BWA HA HA

[color=#EFEFEF:3019f32f33] Don't tell anyone!

And tsk, tsk... you have a tricolour vest! </me loves Nemoy's art so very much>

This weekend I hope to submit a genuine submission, as time allows. :)
@chicgeek on twitter
[Edit 2 times, last edit by FyreFaerie at Mar 11, 2004 2:04:37 PM]
[Mar 11, 2004 2:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.laurakishimoto.ca    girlthatisgeek    girlthatisgeek    24427833 [Link]  Go to top 
ninjacan

re Reply to this Post

lol

BB <3's fyre
xoxo beerbaron
[Mar 11, 2004 2:15:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Rubby wrote: 
Hrm. Finished artwork only, or are doodles and sketches 'legal'? When teachers bore me, I do dozens of sketches o' little pirates in various piratey poses, but none that I really have the willpower to finish through and complete.

You can probably judge now based on submissions so far.

NikellsUK wrote: 
I'll go first then.

Courageous!
Your drawing came out very cute. Well done!

Thank you very much for posting your reference. I'm guessing it wasn't taken for this image (which is, of course, fine), which brings up a good point to make about the photo. The person on the right is in a good, dynamic pose and fine to use. The one on the left is terrible. It's not an interesting pose and the detail isn't very good.
Whether using existing photos or taking new reference you should be discriminating. Gather (or shoot) a lot of pictures so that you can be sure to have a pose you want. Also, remember that you can combine images. You could use this image for the guy on the right, and use a totally different image for reference of the other person.

Now, for my advice about the piece. Actually, this has to do with your reference too. Since your style is cartoony and your "models" aren't in costume the purpose of your reference is the pose. As I mentioned before, the pose on the left is terrible. But the pose on the right is very exciting. He's hunched down, poised for an oncoming strike. Unfortunately, this didn't come through in your drawing. To get a good pose in your piece you should do a quick gestural sketch. Glance at your reference and back to your page and just draw a very quick stick figure in the position of the person in your reference picture. Look back and forth to be sure your stick man has the same pose as the reference. It's very easy to change at this point. Erase and redraw until you like the stick man. Then (still looking at the photo for reference when you need to) go ahead and draw the real drawing over those stick-man bones.

Considering the picture is fine as it is, I wouldn't suggest you try to change it to accomodate this advice. Instead (since you seem to work nice and quickly) I'd just do another!
A very cute picture with nice color. I was hoping you'd join us!

ArtistGirl wrote: 
Was ment to be an avatar for myself but, I'm too lazy to do anymore. Was hard enough to make her face not look like fish without a nose.

Also cute!

If you look at any of my Puzzle Pirates images you'll notice that I never draw them in full profile. It is a huge pain.
But you actually did it pretty well! In fact, I'd say it's my favorite part.

Too lazy to do any more? There has to be something else there. Did you just not like where it was going? Do you not like adding detail to pictures? You know laziness is never just laziness. You're ArtistGirl! Introspection!

Thanks for joining in the critique, too.

Skal wrote: 
First thing that came to my head

Me too!

Very exciting. There is a great gesture to this one. The pose, the action, all says swashbuckling.
I really like the feel of his weight on the rope. He has it wrapped around his leg and his arm is hugging it in tight. You clearly thought about how someone swings on a rope.
The colors are nice and there's a good, consistent lights source, which is great.
To touch it up I'd say to rethink those arms. The pose is fine, but they're a bit long. He could probably touch his toes without bending over. I wonder, did you draw his upper body first? It seems like maybe you unconsciously shrunk his legs so that they would fit in the frame.
The only other point that jumps out at me is the harsh change from the drawing lines to the computer lines. The perfectly round moon and perfectly straight horizon are completely out of place in your quick, sketchy image.

Well done. Sketchy is fine, and if you reign in those arms it'll be even better!

Fyrfaerie wrote: 
Anything

Better get drawing!

This is great! Thanks for starting up so quickly! More! More!
[Mar 11, 2004 2:19:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FyreFaerie

Nemo wrote: 
Fyrfaerie wrote: 
Anything

Better get drawing!

/me blinks, doesn't understand, sneers at the misspelling, and goes off to do as Nemo bids
@chicgeek on twitter
[Mar 11, 2004 2:30:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.laurakishimoto.ca    girlthatisgeek    girlthatisgeek    24427833 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

First things first; I suck at drawing. But I hope to change that! I'm working on it, certain i'll get better with practice. So, naturally this thread is a good motivation to practice drawing. I drew my own swashbuckler. When you look at it, keep in mind i'm a real novice at drawing. And Since I don't have a scanner, it all has to be done in paint.

edit: Man. I wanted to put this picture up in it's .BMP form, but the site I upload the picture to resizes anything over 250k, so it's too small to see. So you have to look at the messed up Jpeg version. Sorry. ;_; Just imagine it without all the screwed up aura looking stuff on it.
[Mar 11, 2004 2:39:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I might be lazy, too. Who knows? heh heh heh. Reply to this Post

This did not turn out at all as I expected. It's monochrome because the color version wasn't half as interesting.

For those who are interested in what my original looked like, and to marvel at exactly what horrific conditions I must work under, I've thoughtfully provided a link to the pc-ified version of my drawing. It's over 400k though, as this is completely unedited.
Click here to see something that came directly from Fronsac's hand!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Mar 11, 2004 3:33:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tributary

I'm just going to link to mine. It's still pretty big.

I draw on my white board with my dry erase markers, so this is a photograph of said board. I did it fast and bright, and my roommate helpfully loaned a digital camera (mine was out of batteries).

And when I say big, I mean that the board is 36" by 48", so the drawing is of significant size.

Edit: Now that I am not running Y!PP, I resized the picture.

Min
Mostly Retired, Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tributary at Mar 11, 2004 3:51:04 PM]
[Mar 11, 2004 3:51:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

It's a real-life honest-to-goodness-hometown drawing crit! It's been so long! Too long. Nemo, I don't think it is possible to know how deep-down happy this makes me.
/me stops interrupting thread and goes to bed happy
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Mar 11, 2004 5:18:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

nooo! Fronsac is too young to die! Reply to this Post

(and is, due to blue's wavelength).

/me elevates Nemo to Arioch, Vijil, and Grumble-level.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 11, 2004 6:42:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

I doodled this a while ago, long before I started playin Puzzle Pirates. Computer drawin isn'a me strong point and this were styled after me own dream o'air piracy, but oh well. It still has that swashbucklin feel.

Pirates ... in the air ... awesome!

EDIT: I did this one when no one were payin attention, bein the tricky scamp I am.

Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Mar 11, 2004 7:14:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

PotatoJones wrote: 

EDIT: I did this one when no one were payin attention, bein the tricky scamp I am.
http://www.thingsgoboom.com/offsite/21b.gif

Harr Harr! Excellent! That be everything I been askin' fer. I like how the rum is jus' flowin out o' his mug, but what a waste!

Min, That be quite impressive. An' not jus because o' the medium, but espically so at the same time. Ye must have some magic dry erase markers, te make something that good! I can't get mine to do anything but write down what im doin' tomorrow!

An' one o' mine. Done in about 2 hours on and off in Photoshop. No source, just based off one of my 'bored' sketches.

[Mar 11, 2004 10:37:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hmmm. I wonder if the drawing I've got of "love at first sword" is really all that swashbuckling...

Then again, it features A REALLY NICE PONIARD. ;) So it's probably worth posting if I can scan it for that sole purpose...
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 11, 2004 11:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Bow before the master!
[Mar 12, 2004 12:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

What the heck's 'scleanbuckller' supposed to mean?

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Mar 12, 2004 12:46:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tributary

Rubby wrote: 
Min, That be quite impressive. An' not jus because o' the medium, but espically so at the same time. Ye must have some magic dry erase markers, te make something that good! I can't get mine to do anything but write down what im doin' tomorrow!

Thanks! I admit I mostly use that board to write down homework. So it sees a lot of math and computer science and not pirates. I did my avatar on it, but I like this better. The secret to white board art is confident lines. Consistent linestrokes when coloring help, too, as the limited number of colors (I have exactly 10 colors, 4 large thick markers and 6 thinner 'bright' colors) limits shading immensely. You can erase cleanly with your fingers (clean for the drawing, not for your fingers), so mistakes disappear.

I really like Potato's little drunk guy, in particular the use of no color except for the gray.

I like Skal's sketchy pirate. I like the colors, and I don't think anyone should ever be embarrassed by a sketchy finished drawing. I think it adds to the action of the subject. The arms could certainly be smaller, yeah. And maybe Skal relies on the computer too much. The sketchiness of the pirate and the more smooth color fades of the ocean are inconsistent.

Edit: Oh, oh! One more thing! Temporary art appeals to me. I need to do homework, and my pirate girl gets erased. Nemo asks for a different subject, and my pirate girl gets erased. The short lifespan of my art keeps me drawing.
Min
Mostly Retired, Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tributary at Mar 12, 2004 12:49:00 AM]
[Mar 12, 2004 12:49:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Matthias wrote: 
What the heck's 'scleanbuckller' supposed to mean?

Matt

I've been tryin to figure that out meself.

/me sticks out his tongue.
[Mar 12, 2004 12:53:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Well, I kinda got suckered into that one, but hey, I did it anyways ;) Like I said, it's good fun, plus good practice.

This is the practice stick version. I did a few different stick figure poses for different styles of drawings. I had originally wanted to do something like Jack Sparrow did his his avatar (the one with the sword in perspective) but with the boot sticking towards the screen. So I drew the stick figure to get an idea as to how the character would be positionned.

However, the more I thought about it, the more complicated the picture seemed, so I just flipped the paper over, drew over the stick figure and retraced it on another sheet to get

This

I'm actually quite happy with it. I do have problems with appendages though (feet and hands) and, well, drawing with a pen is never easy (I need to buy some art supplies).
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dorel at Mar 12, 2004 1:06:58 AM]
[Mar 12, 2004 1:06:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Tributary

Dorel's link wrote: 
Not Authorised

Very unhappy...
Min
Mostly Retired, Midnight
[Mar 12, 2004 1:14:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 197   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates