• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 208
Posts: 208   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 41222 times and has 207 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Write A Brigand King! Win a Familiar! [Results announced] Reply to this Post

Click here for results post.

They're here... but who are they, and where did they come from? We want some back story!

Write us a brigand king story! Pick a brigand king (or queen), and write a short story describing an important episode in their past lives - it could be a formative moment in their youths, a daring adventure many years ago, or the sea battle last month that finally made them decide to invade: whatever inspires you.

How To Enter
* Write your story
* Post your text directly into a post in the entry thread.
The following information should be included in your entry post:
-- Pirate name
-- Ocean
-- Brigand King (or Queen) that you are featuring
-- Word count
-- Word counter (if you're very very close to the 1000 word limit)

The entry thread again.

Deadline
The deadline for this contest is 11:59pm PDT Saturday 9th June.

Rules
* One entry per player, regardless of how many accounts or pirates you have.
* Each entry should have a maximum of 1000 words.
* Your story should feature your chosen BK/Q prominently, but other than that, the story and its other characters, are your own choice.
* Your story should be wholly created by yourself - you should not plagiarize from any other source. No piracy! ;)
* A double post because of a major booch will be forgiven, but excessive posting and re-posting in the entry thread could result in disqualification.
* Only entries posted in the entry thread will be considered.

Prizes
* The grand prize winner will receive a familiar in their choice of species and available color other than all-white or all-black and a ribbon.
* The best story for each BK/Q (second best in the case of the winner's category) will receive a ship named in theme with their BK/Q and a ribbon. Ship class may vary.
* Other honorable mentions will receive trinkets or similar.

Tips
* Remember that you cannot edit posts at the moment. So check your entry carefully before uploading - I won't be editing posts for you if you get something wrong.
* Remember that the "smart" quotes and special characters used by some word processing packages do not translate onto the forum even if they work on preview - they are replaced by boxes or question marks. Either draft your story in a simple text editor like Notepad, or turn off smart quotes and auto-correct options before typing, or go through your entry before posting and retype all the quotation marks, apostrophes, ellipses, etc.
* If you forget your pirate name and ocean, update your signature with the information and leave it there till after judging.
* If you don't have a word count facility on your computer, here is an online one.
* If you want further information about the Brigand Kings, start from this link and you can link to each of the BK's pages.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Apollo at Aug 27, 2007 7:38:53 PM]
[May 18, 2007 1:22:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
FallenTree

Re: Write A Brigand King! Win a Familiar! [Deadline 9th June] Reply to this Post

There's another one on the way, isn't there? So are we restricted to the ones already in play, or will we know the new one, or can we invent one, or am I completely wrong about there being a new one at all?
Bullettime on Hunter Ocean
Retired? Yeah, let's go with that.
[May 19, 2007 4:51:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Argemone

Re: Write A Brigand King! Win a Familiar! [Deadline 9th June] Reply to this Post

Apparently the wiki thinks there's a new one...

Whether we can use him or not is another question...
Ligeia (Ly-Gee-Ah), Midnight Cerulean
Going Down,
Universe A
[May 19, 2007 4:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Sounds fun, I think I'll give this one a go :)

May I ask what's with all the BK-themed events lately?
Phillite, Emerald
[May 19, 2007 6:25:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Sounds fun, I think I'll give this one a go :)

May I ask what's with all the BK-themed events lately?

Probably has a lot to do with all the BK stuff being tested on Ice right now. BK blockades, BK flotillas (sinking), and a new BK.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[May 19, 2007 6:51:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

Great event! Sounds like fun! I can't wait to start my entry!
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[May 19, 2007 7:35:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

There's another one on the way, isn't there? So are we restricted to the ones already in play, or will we know the new one, or can we invent one, or am I completely wrong about there being a new one at all?
Any of the Brigand Kings can be used. If you link to the brigand kings page on YPPedia, they're all listed there.
[May 19, 2007 11:46:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
kavlin

-- Word counter (if you're very very close to the 1000 word limit)

Do you mean the link you have already provided?
Kavlin S. Teer
SO and Surgeon of Stark Raving Mad
White Lord of that demented flag Dark Asylum
Cobalt

Blessed are the cracked
For they let in the light!
2 Baby Kavs!! God help you all!! err.. us....
[May 20, 2007 1:54:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Kavteer [Link]  Go to top 
neih_neih

so we are only allowed to write about 1 BK? or can we include them all into our story?
Shadowwalker on Viridian
Prince of Legion of Doom
[May 20, 2007 7:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SkyBlitz

This may be what the post two before this one was referring to, but what is the difference between the word count and word counter (if near 1000)
Tempestblitz

Anchovia tells ye, "I don't know who the last one is, too many Brits on there."

[May 20, 2007 10:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

This may be what the post two before this one was referring to, but what is the difference between the word count and word counter (if near 1000)

So he can check it, I guess.

Also.

In the entry, do we submit choice of familiar and color scheme that we so much desire, or will that be done afterwards?
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[May 20, 2007 11:24:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

so we are only allowed to write about 1 BK? or can we include them all into our story?

* Your story should feature your chosen BK/Q prominently, but other than that, the story and its other characters, are your own choice.

Sorry for the double post.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[May 20, 2007 11:26:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Word counter: I provided a suggestion of an online word counter if you don't have a word count facility on your computer for some reason. The "Word counter" asked for in the entry post is so that if you're running very close to the limit, you can tell me which word counter you used and I can verify that at least according to that word counter, you were within the limit. There will be differences in how different word counters deal with counting. This part of the entry post is only needed if you're right up close to the limit.

Characters: As said above, your featured BK must be prominent - others can feature as secondary characters, but the story should be about one particular BK.
[May 21, 2007 12:57:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

One thing that confuse me a bit is that you write that the maximum amount of words should be 1000 words. By that do you mean exactly 1000 words, or can it sway to 1010 words, for example?

Shirato
-A greenie in understanding English.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[May 21, 2007 8:08:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Candiice

I posted my entry, and then I realized I didn't edit my entry from Word. I reposted it and fixed it, and previewed. Everything was ok, but when I posted some single quotations had been replaced ?'s. Why? Can that be ignored? I'd rather not repost again.

LilCandi~
LilCandi
Viridian Ocean
Cindderella says, "You seem tense. GO GET LAID!"
Ladyselwick says, "Oh dear! Lets have a cup of tea and everything will be fine!"
WGGB
[May 21, 2007 8:37:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Candiice

I posted my entry, and then I realized I didn't edit my entry from Word. I reposted it and fixed it, and previewed. Everything was ok, but when I posted some single quotations had been replaced ?'s. Why? Can that be ignored? I'd rather not repost again.

LilCandi~

It happened again in that post. Maybe it's just my computer? I don't know. It's ok when I write I'd but at random times it would replace the single quotation with a question mark.

LilCandi~
LilCandi
Viridian Ocean
Ladyselwick says, "Oh dear! Lets have a cup of tea and everything will be fine!"
WGGB
[May 21, 2007 8:39:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KRNVR

I notice the entries are being posted in quotes. Did I miss the direction to post in a quote box? Or is it just sound practice, as it makes the entry stand out?
Captain El Diablo Rojo, Sayers Island Navy
[May 21, 2007 9:32:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

LilCandi~

It happened again in that post. Maybe it's just my computer? I don't know. It's ok when I write I'd but at random times it would replace the single quotation with a question mark.
LilCandi~

From the Tips section of the first post:
Uncle Apollo wrote: 
* Remember that the "smart" quotes and special characters used by some word processing packages do not translate onto the forum even if they work on preview - they are replaced by boxes or question marks. Either draft your story in a simple text editor like Notepad, or turn off smart quotes and auto-correct options before typing, or go through your entry before posting and retype all the quotation marks, apostrophes, ellipses, etc.

Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 21, 2007 9:36:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DreadedChris

One thing that confuse me a bit is that you write that the maximum amount of words should be 1000 words. By that do you mean exactly 1000 words, or can it sway to 1010 words, for example?

Shirato
-A greenie in understanding English.

It should have 1000 words or less if you want it to be a valid qualifying entry, but it can grow to 1010 words if you don't mind being disqualified. I think that that's fairly clear.
~< The Dread Pirate Chris >~
[May 21, 2007 9:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Candiice

Either draft your story in a simple text editor like Notepad, or turn off smart quotes and auto-correct options before typing, or go through your entry before posting and retype all the quotation marks, apostrophes, ellipses, etc.

I did go through my post and retyped all the quotation marks, apostrophes, ellipses, etc.! It still showed up as a question mark. Can that be ignored or do I have to repost again (would reposting again be ok?)?

LilCandi~
LilCandi
Viridian Ocean
WGGB
[May 21, 2007 10:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slicer93

Re: a king's brigands life for me! Reply to this Post

i need to change the names to salty for jack and brakens to finus
and i need to do a word count soz about this and teh name of the king brigand is salty finus

ty
[May 21, 2007 12:19:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: a king's brigands life for me! Reply to this Post

i need to change the names to salty for jack and brakens to finus
and i need to do a word count soz about this and teh name of the king brigand is salty finus

ty

On many levels, you need to re-read the first post a few times. As a starter, this is not the entry thread.

LilCandi: I'd rather put up with a handful of random characters than have spamming re-posts in the entry thread!

Shirato: 1000 words is the maximum number of words for a valid entry.
[May 21, 2007 2:27:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
LAURxx03

What is the minimum word count ( excuse my speling, if its wrong )
Laur - Hunter Tart
skeleton's bone, duh

Smackhead says, "The trade is comeplete. Smackhead has officially given Laur aids through puzzles pirates cyber sexual enhancements."

Secretion says, "i have runny barnacle i cant come in
[May 21, 2007 5:36:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

I finished writing my story, and now I'm editing it. I was just curious, if we have a shorter story will we be marked down? (What I'm trying to ask is do ye perfer longer stories?)
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[May 21, 2007 9:01:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Minimum: there is no minimum wordcount stated, and therefore no minimum wordcount in place.

Length: I don't prefer longer or shorter stories. I prefer better stories.

Edit: I deleted two entry posts from this thread.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at May 21, 2007 11:30:46 PM]
[May 21, 2007 11:29:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
DeadFeather

So many Brigand King events.

I ponder over a fact Apollo. Is there going to be a Brigand King Tournament?

- Ravkiki of Midnight

~ Ravkiki
"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will scar me for life!"
Apparently it takes a modder to beat a modder in Y!PP swordfighting..?

[May 22, 2007 1:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tempo8247

I tried retyping my quotes, etc in my entry and they still didnt take. Hopefully the fact that they are not there will not be used against me.
Alastriona
Villains of the Amazon

Collector of Puffers
[May 22, 2007 5:37:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I tried retyping my quotes, etc in my entry and they still didnt take. Hopefully the fact that they are not there will not be used against me.

Seriously, the easiest way to do this is to either type it in Notepad or some other non-fancy thingy. On Windows just right click and select "New Text File" or "New Notepad File." For spell checking, there are many online spellcheckers, or just use the new version of Firefox with a spellchecker built right into the browser.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 22, 2007 7:32:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tempo8247

Seriously, the easiest way to do this is to either type it in Notepad or some other non-fancy thingy. On Windows just right click and select "New Text File" or "New Notepad File." For spell checking, there are many online spellcheckers, or just use the new version of Firefox with a spellchecker built right into the browser.

That helps. THanks!
Alastriona
Villains of the Amazon

Collector of Puffers
[May 22, 2007 9:59:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rachelcarson

I screwed up the quotation marks AND posted the comment about it in the wrong thread.
I'm... off today.
So double apologies.
Fiona.
Hunter.
You killed my father, prepare to die!
[May 22, 2007 4:21:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 208   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates