• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 225
Posts: 225   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 54352 times and has 224 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Draw A Brigand King! Win a familiar! [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Click here for Results post

The Brigand Kings have a gorgeous new portrait each, but apparently one is not enough! They want more! MORE!
The aim of this event is to create a portrait of a brigand king (or queen).

So, pick one Brigand King (or Queen). Take a look at their new portraits to get a basis for what they look like, then create a new portrait featuring your chosen character. Here are the in-game portraits:

How To Enter
* Create your portrait
* Upload it (or a digital picture of it) to a hosting site (such as putfile.com, photobucket.com, etc) - in large size and thumbnail size
* Post to the entry thread.
The following information should be included in your entry post:
-- Pirate name
-- Ocean
-- Brigand King (or Queen) that you are featuring
-- Media and/or software used for your portrait
-- A thumbnail version of your painting to ease navigation through the thread, added using image tags. Thumbnail images should be maximum size 150 x 150 and should be in .png or .jpg format.
-- A link to an external site where we can see a larger version of your portrait. I won't give a maximum size, but it would be better if we didn't have to scroll around to see the whole picture.

That link to the entry thread again.

Deadline
The deadline for this contest is 11:59pm PDT Saturday 16th June.

Rules
* You may only enter once per player, regardless of how many accounts or pirates you have.
* You may create a portrait in real life or digitally or a hybrid approach.
* You may use whatever media or software you wish. Having said that, the intention is that these look like flat portraits, so while texture is fine, sculpture is not.
* Your featured BK/Q should feature prominently in the picture - it is a portrait of them, after all - and their appearance should reasonably resemble those shown in the portraits. However, the pose and the background is your choice, and there can be as many or as few other people visible in the picture as you wish.
* Your portrait should be wholly created by yourself - you should not borrow any material from game art, from their new portraits, or from any other sources. No piracy! ;)
* External hosting sites - you must use a site where images can be viewed without registering, without paying and without unreasonable download delays.
* A double post because of a major booch will be forgiven, but excessive posting and re-posting in the entry thread could result in disqualification.
* Only entries posted in the entry thread will be considered.

Prizes
* The grand prize winner will receive a familiar in their choice of species and available color other than all-white or all-black and a ribbon.
* The best portrait for each BK/Q (second best in the case of the winner's category) will receive a ship named in theme with their BK/Q and a ribbon. Ship class may vary.
* Other honorable mentions will receive trinkets or similar.

Tips
* Remember that you cannot edit posts at the moment. So check your entry carefully before uploading - I won't be editing posts for you if you get something wrong. Preview your entry to ensure that your image tags are working. Send the links to a friend before posting to ensure that they can access the pictures without logging in to the hosting site. If you forget your pirate name and ocean, update your signature with the information and leave it there till after judging.
* Adding an image to a post. First, it must be hosting on your own webspace or an external hosting site. There are many free sites available for you to register on and use. You must have a url for your picture, not just a path to a file on your computer. To add an image to your post, use image tags, as shown here.
* If you want further information about the Brigand Kings, start from this link and you can link to each of the BK's pages.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 10 times, last edit by Apollo at Aug 6, 2007 3:17:10 PM]
[May 18, 2007 12:53:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

Re: Draw A Brigand King! Win a familiar! [Deadline 16th June] Reply to this Post

Wow another Apollo Brigand King event.... this one sounds fun too. Wow this is going to be a busy month for many pirates!
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[May 19, 2007 7:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

Re: Draw A Brigand King! Win a familiar! [Deadline 16th June] Reply to this Post

Sorry to double post, but does our art work have to look like Puzzle Pirates pirates? Or can we make them more real looking (not to say Puzzle Pirate pirates arn't real looking)?
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[May 19, 2007 8:10:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dougerarg

Great event. The Widow Queen looks hawt.

*Starts drawing*
Scervy of Hunter
Omnis on Sage

Retired YPP player. Miss all my old pals from long ago
[May 19, 2007 8:31:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I wish my portraits looked like that. The only one that comes close to what our normal portraits look like is Admrial Finnius, but that's just because he's standing there, facing left, and holding a trinket.

Speaking of portraits, do our entries have to be the same size as in-game portraits? I didn't notice a size limit and I assume you won't want the huge originals.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[May 19, 2007 9:07:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Sorry to double post, but does our art work have to look like Puzzle Pirates pirates? Or can we make them more real looking (not to say Puzzle Pirate pirates arn't real looking)?
You can use any art style you want, but remember to base the basic appearance (not the drawing style) on the existing portraits.

Speaking of portraits, do our entries have to be the same size as in-game portraits? I didn't notice a size limit and I assume you won't want the huge originals.
(From the original post)
-- A thumbnail version of your painting to ease navigation through the thread, added using image tags. Thumbnail images should be maximum size 150 x 150 and should be in .png or .jpg format.
-- A link to an external site where we can see a larger version of your portrait. I won't give a maximum size, but it would be better if we didn't have to scroll around to see the whole picture.
[May 19, 2007 11:45:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ally_1994

hii thr...m scorpian of the cobat ocean having one question which is:

do u use a compter program or do u use ur hands to draw a brigand king???
scorpian of the cobalt ocean!!

atomic of the viridian ocean!!!

the sail master:b

the best of sailors!!
[May 20, 2007 12:56:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

hii thr...m scorpian of the cobat ocean having one question which is:

do u use a compter program or do u use ur hands to draw a brigand king???

That's answered in the first post, mate.
[May 20, 2007 12:57:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Will there be a "SING a brigand king! WIn a familiar!" event? : p
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[May 20, 2007 1:27:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ally_1994

hiii.....do we
-make up our own brigand king with different looks

-or do we make one with a character similar to which u have posted...

if it is the second option do we give them our own name???or does it have a name???

if it already has a name..plzzz tel me their names
scorpian of the cobalt ocean!!

atomic of the viridian ocean!!!

the sail master:b

the best of sailors!!
[May 20, 2007 1:35:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bucaneerlass

I just have 1 question. Will the whole body of the BK or BQ have to be displayed?
Maddaline Of midnight
[May 20, 2007 5:40:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://rr.com    chocoholicgurl@yahoo.com    hartannasilver@aim.com [Link]  Go to top 
liviola

Oh... this is awesome .. this is exactly the excuse I needed ^__^

reply to ally_1994:

hiii.....do we
-make up our own brigand king with different looks

-or do we make one with a character similar to which u have posted...

if it is the second option do we give them our own name???or does it have a name???

if it already has a name..plzzz tel me their names

We're meant to pick one of the (6) existant brigand kings.
Their names and further info can be found on the YPPedia page on Brigand Kings.

No piracy! ;)

I assume that was a typo, Apollo.
~~~ Avera, Sage Ocean ~~~
The Lost Lot's crew KB drinker.
[May 20, 2007 7:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

...I was supposed to retire...

...I'm so conflicted...

...no art familiar...

...but I retired...

Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[May 20, 2007 8:25:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChaosShadou

Not to say the potraits are awesome, a nice welcome back to the game... :) (If only the game would let me back in TT_TT )

But do we have to use the same exact costume they are wearing now?

I'm asking b/c I notice that some parts of their costumes are covered either by an arm or perspective.

Basic question, can we improve on the costume (fill in the holes so to speak) or create a whole new costume, keeping the integrity of the character still. ^^;
"Milk. It keeps you safe from all satanic troll attacks."
Asterea on Sage
[May 20, 2007 9:21:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

About Azarbad the Great:

Since we don't know much about him can we make up what he could be like, personality wise?
Thanks.
Greenie says, "how do i help orginiz blokeges"
[May 20, 2007 11:50:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChaosShadou

Another thing, ( Fix edit plz kthx :( ) you mention we cannot use outside sources. Does that mean we can't use stock photos for references (even with permission from the photographer)?

I think my model art-munkey refuses to help me again since that whole peanut butter and rum incident awhile back..*cough*
"Milk. It keeps you safe from all satanic troll attacks."
Asterea on Sage
[May 20, 2007 2:45:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Brigand Kings: you must choose one of the six brigand kings that exist, not create a new one. Their portraits are at the top of this thread, and a link to the YPPedia is included in the first post for you to find out more about them.

Portraits: the in-game portraits should be considered a representation of the brigand kings' appearance. You don't need to copy them exactly (that would make for a boring contest!), but the main characteristics should be similar. If you're all creating portraits of the same person, the portraits should have at least a passing similarity to each other even if the styles and compositions are very different!

Clothes: no need to copy the clothes exactly.

Whole body: no need to include the whole body if you don't want to. The composition is your decision.

Azarbad: read the YPPedia page on Brigand Kings and on Azarbad as a starting point for what he's like. If you don't feel you have enough information, then fill in with your imagination.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at May 21, 2007 1:06:08 AM]
[May 21, 2007 1:05:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

* Your portrait should be wholly created by yourself - you should not borrow any material from game art, from their new portraits, or from any other sources. No piracy! ;)

I quite comprehend this - but just wanted to check how far this goes - if one were to take inspiration from a famous work of art as a basis and use a similar pose etc, would that constitute theivery? It would be all of ones own work of courses =D just with a familiar twist.

Hope thats not a dumb questions!
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[May 21, 2007 8:38:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

Another thing, ( Fix edit plz kthx :( ) you mention we cannot use outside sources. Does that mean we can't use stock photos for references (even with permission from the photographer)?

I think my model art-munkey refuses to help me again since that whole peanut butter and rum incident awhile back..*cough*

Oh dear I worry I am too dumb for rules some days. I had what I thought was a genius idea but now I am unsure if I can do it .. /em sobs.
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[May 21, 2007 8:53:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Sorry, I missed this one last night.

Outside sources: you shouldn't use any - you should create the whole work yourself.
In terms of the follow-up question on lifting style or pose from a famous work of art... I probably can't stop you, but if it looks too reminiscent, then you probably start losing marks for originality.
[May 21, 2007 2:33:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

Can we add noses? Pwweeeeze! :D
[May 21, 2007 9:01:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

Sorry for double post but, can we use references? Like stock photos for reference? It wouldn't be included in the final piece of artwork and the final result will look nothing like the photo.
[May 21, 2007 9:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Swaggertoes

Um, this is one of my first goes at anything in the forums. I've always wanted to participate in the arrrrt part of things, but been hesitant to.

But this has peaked my interest...a LOT. Way more so, because I can use traditional media. (don't have any nice comp. graphics programs.)

I'm so excited. Now...how to narrow it down to which one I want to do? I've gone down to three. lol Getting it down to one could be a problem...or maybe I'll do a couple and have my crew vote on which ones to enter. :D
[May 21, 2007 9:11:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.swaggertoes.deviantart.com    Swaggertoes    PrismAlchemist [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Noses? What are they? You can add them if you want to. Out of their foreheads, if you like. It seemed to work for Picasso.

Reference photos - I wouldn't know whether you'd used them or not, so there's little point in forbidding them! Obviously, there's a difference between reference and tracing, though!
[May 21, 2007 11:37:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Toadsworthy

I have a question about the actual drawing itself;

Are we allowed to have a colorless portrait? Or will it take away from the final score?
[May 22, 2007 2:34:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Noses? What are they? You can add them if you want to. Out of their foreheads, if you like. It seemed to work for Picasso.

Reference photos - I wouldn't know whether you'd used them or not, so there's little point in forbidding them! Obviously, there's a difference between reference and tracing, though!

Apollo, you made my day with this and the contest itself. Now, if only I can squeeze a painting into my schedule...

/e should really get to work on his MFA application portfolio... but maybe he can use this...
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[May 22, 2007 12:17:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I'm sure any reputable college would be proud to consider piratey portraiture as part of your portfolio...
[May 22, 2007 3:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lesskins

So we can only draw ONE brigand king/queen, we aren't allowed to do one portrait for each one? ;C This makes me saad.
i want to be a bear when i grow up~

sausage 4 lyf. c:
[May 22, 2007 3:52:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    leslie_the_bestlie    LesstheSneak [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

So we can only draw ONE brigand king/queen, we aren't allowed to do one portrait for each one? ;C This makes me saad.
Aye. Just one entry per player. You have to choose which one to enter. *dabs your salty tears with gossamer*
[May 22, 2007 3:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lesskins

Aye. Just one entry per player. You have to choose which one to enter. *dabs your salty tears with gossamer*

You break my heart.
But I suppose this means less work for me.
If I even decide to do anything at all.
Me so lazy. :)
i want to be a bear when i grow up~

sausage 4 lyf. c:
[May 22, 2007 3:57:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    leslie_the_bestlie    LesstheSneak [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 225   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates