• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 71
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10680 times and has 70 replies Next Thread
Lynzerlot

OPERATION FAIL-SAIPH: PHASE IV - ROTATING GOVERNOR!

OPERATION FAIL-SAIPH: PHASE IV - GOVERNOR FOR A MONTH!

What:
You get to be governor of Saiph Island for a month, AND control a ship yard! Fame and fortune will be yours. You may keep any items/PoE that you acquire as Governor. That means any gold or KB sold to the fort during your tenure is YOURS to do with as you please.

How:
Raffle! Only 10k or 13 dubs per ticket. Buy as many tickets as you like.

Who:
You may contact any of the following Royals in Sins of the Flesh to buy raffle tickets:
  • Megami
  • Lynzerlot
  • Morganlefey
  • Mynci
  • Procyon
  • Tentei
  • Thebigmattb
  • Vahid
When you buy tickets, the royal will give you a receipt indicating that you bought tickets.

How can we guarantee the raffle will be impartial?
  • First of all, Sins of the Flesh members are not eligible to participate in this event.
  • The Royals are using Google spreadsheets to keep track of the raffle ticket purchases. This will also enable us to keep track of any changes made by an individual. If any entries are deleted, we will be able to see the change and know who did it.
  • Finally, I wrote a Perl program that imports a .txt or .csv file with a list and picks a random line. I have tested the program several times, and it picks a different line each time. I've also tested the program with both file formats, so we will be able to export the Google spreadsheet directly into a .csv format. This eliminates the need for assigning numbers to each raffle ticket, as well as eliminates the need for a third party random number generator. The Perl code will be provided on request if you send me a PM. The result of the program will be screenied.

Rules and restrictions:Sins of the Flesh reserves the right to revoke governorship from any pirate who fails to adhere to the rules.
  • Taxes on the fort and shoppe must be paid on time.
  • The fort must be stocked with rum and shot at all times, and you cannot raise sell prices. You may, however, change the buy prices.
  • You may decorate the fort and shoppe any way you like, but do not dust props.
  • You must adhere to the schedule of event blockades and answer requests to schedule special blockades.
  • The schedule of event blockades must stay posted in the island news.
  • You may not attempt to sabotage or otherwise detrimentally affect future rotating Governor events.
Again, breaking any of the above guidelines will result in immediate forfeiture of governorship and disqualification from any and all future events. This is your first and only warning.

Other important things to know:
  • The Ship Yard will be devoid of employees when you become Governor.
  • Rent on the Ship Yard will be paid up when you take control of the island.
  • The fort will be reasonably stocked with rum and shot, but nothing else when you take control of the island.
  • There will be no PoE in the Ship Yard or Fort coffers.
When:
The raffle drawing will take place on Sunday, June 3rd . Sunday will be the official opening of Pandaland. Expect tournaments, trivia, and other events to take place. Stay tuned to Hunter Events for more details. At the conclusion of the party, the Royals will vote in the new governor.
----------------------------------------
Lynzerlot, SO of Pleasureful Sins, Hunter

Lyndsy, still a Hunter on Sage
SO of Wild Cards on Malachite
Assassin for hire.
[May 17, 2007 8:43:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

Re: OPERATION FAIL-SAIPH: PHASE IV - ROTATING GOVERNOR!

VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
"Please note that this event, as with any lottery or raffle, is run at the risk of the participants. If there is shown to be cheating or wrongdoing, the culprit will be punished, but no poe will be returned to participants affected. Please only enter if you trust the person or people hosting the event."

Bloody broken "Edit" button...

Assassin for hire.
[May 17, 2007 9:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skurfer48

Great event guys! If I only had a decent amount of money I would enter, of course I have no idea how to govern or run a shop so maybe it's for the better.
Besides, I already won a nice Black and White sloop from ye ;)
~Saminator
[May 17, 2007 11:56:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ wrote: 
"Please note that this event, as with any lottery or raffle, is run at the risk of the participants. If there is shown to be cheating or wrongdoing, the culprit will be punished, but no poe will be returned to participants affected. Please only enter if you trust the person or people hosting the event."

I have gotten some negative feedback regarding the tone of this statement. If it sounds OMish, well...that's because it was written by an OM. Artemis stated here that all lottery/raffle type events should have the above statement posted on the event. So I posted it, verbatim. Hafe fun!

/e respectfully requests that the edit button be reinstated...at least in Event forums.

Assassin for hire.
[May 18, 2007 7:40:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mibshubby

This sounds like a cool event. Wow - gov for a month.

Have a couple of questions though - what happens if somebody drops a chest during the month? Who defends? Is the new gov required to put up a showing? What happens if it is the new gov that drops? Also, what happens to new ship orders that are not completed by the end of the month - who gets the money?
Mibshubby on Hunter, Malachite, & Sage

I have been diagnosed with ADOS - Attention Deficit Oooo Shiney!
[May 18, 2007 10:23:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mibshubby [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

Eep, good questions. I'm at work, but I'll try to answer some now.

What happens if somebody drops a chest during the month? Who defends? Is the new gov required to put up a showing?

If a war chest is dropped, Sins of the Flesh and our allies will defend the island and are prepared to do so. We are reinvesting the dubs/PoE we collect from this raffle and any future event into the island for defense of the island and to prepare for bigger and better future events.
It is in the new governor's best interest to also help us defend (so they can keep their prize), so we would hope that they and their allies would help defend, but the whole point of the rotating governor idea is that it opens up the opportunity for ANYONE to become Governor of an Island - you don't have to have access to all the PoE and ships and allies and other resources it takes to gain control of an island through a blockade. So if the new governor does not/will not/is not able to help defend the island if another flag drops...we will not hold it against them. To answer your question: they are encouraged to help us put up a showing, but are not required to do so because we cannot expect them to have the means.

What happens if it is the new gov that drops?

They lose their title faster than you can say "blockade", no refunds. The SotF Royals vote to elect a governor - we can just as easily take it away if someone tries to abuse or exploit their power. Not to mention that everyone else who participated and lost the raffle (or other future contest) will be PISSED. It would be like winning a parrot in a tournament just to turn around and delete it.

Also, what happens to new ship orders that are not completed by the end of the month - who gets the money?

/me will confer with the Ministers of Greed and my queenie before answering this one.

Assassin for hire.
[May 18, 2007 11:11:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mibshubby

Lynzerlot - thanks for answering.

I kind of expected the answer to the first question. I'm not rich but I thought that this was a neat raffle but if somebody attacked was I expected to defend even though I don't have any WFs.

I have no idea where the second question came from. I just started to think about 'what ifs' and that popped up. I really don't think that would ever happen, but you never know.

And since I am not rich my mind asked the third question. If I spend some effort and stock up the ship yard and try to get people to buy ships how do we handle the change over. Obviously, if I have some work alts they can continue or maybe you will fire them, but if there is a couple of WFs or whateve half way done would the value get calculated and /pay me when completed? What about the purchased stock? Of course, if you turn this around on a monthly basis you will have this transition continously. Better come up with something relatively simple and fair. Good luck!
Mibshubby on Hunter, Malachite, & Sage

I have been diagnosed with ADOS - Attention Deficit Oooo Shiney!
[May 18, 2007 12:55:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mibshubby [Link]  Go to top 
Frostyspyda

Nice Event hope nobody screws up the thing. I'll be sure to join.
Redspyda,

Hunter
[May 18, 2007 1:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megami1

As far as the shoppe stock, it's yours. The shoppes will be empty when you get them so anything you put in, you must take out before the end of your term.

If you have enough employees in the shoppe, any orders that are placed should be done in a relatively short amount of time. As the owner of the shoppe you may choose to run off selling a few days before the end of your term so that you don't get new orders in that won't be completed before you lose the shoppe. That would be the best way to do it. There is just no way for us to track that since none of us will be managers there. There won't be any way for us to see what deposits after someone else takes over for you. The escrow on orders dumps into the coffers as soon as it completes so the poe should be available to you at that time.

As far as fort stock goes, There will be a set amount of rum and cannonballs and nothing else in the fort when it's turned over. The new governor will be responsible for making sure that same amount is in the fort at the end of their term for the next person. Anything over and above that is yours to take with you when you leave. Saiph can make a tidy profit in trade runs if operated correctly.
Megami,
Retired
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
Megami has proposed a muffin. If you propose a waffle in return, ye will be breakfast buddies!

Intner wrote: 
Go fly a malakite!

[May 18, 2007 5:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I have a question.

What happens if any greenie
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[May 18, 2007 7:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I have a question.

What happens if any greenie or a non-qualified pirate wins, and he ends messing around like messing up or dusting anyhing, etc.etc.? I think that a minimum stats may be a solution. having at least 2 weighties and 2 gm's may be an example.

sorry about the double post, i totally miscliked so damn bad.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[May 18, 2007 7:50:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neom555

Rules and restrictions:Sins of the Flesh reserves the right to revoke governorship from any pirate who fails to adhere to the rules.

* Taxes on the fort and shoppe must be paid on time.
* The fort must be stocked with rum and shot at all times, and you cannot raise sell prices. You may, however, change the buy prices.
* You may decorate the fort and shoppe any way you like, but do not dust props.
* You must adhere to the schedule of event blockades and answer requests to schedule special blockades.
* The schedule of event blockades must stay posted in the island news.
* You may not attempt to sabotage or otherwise detrimentally affect future rotating Governor events.

Again, breaking any of the above guidelines will result in immediate forfeiture of governorship and disqualification from any and all future events. This is your first and only warning.

As anyone can win the raffle, there are the above rules. If any of them are broken, as it says, they forefit their role as govenor. All the things you mentioned in your post are covered in the above rules that everyone agrees to follow when they purchase a ticket.
Procyon
SO of Pleasureful Sins
Prince of Sins of the Flesh
[May 19, 2007 1:49:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

Thanks for that Procyon!

I would like to add that you may now contact ANY royal in SotF to purchase a ticket. Shinyschmo finally got internet again! The list is:
Sins of the Flesh Royals:

• Lynzerlot
  • Megami
  • Morganlefey
  • Mynci
  • Procyon
  • Shinyschmo
  • Tentei
  • Thebigmattb
  • Vahid

Assassin for hire.
[May 20, 2007 2:44:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tispowwow

Hmmmm.....

10k tickets.
keeping the fort tidy.
taking care of a shipyard.

Seems like the classy version of chores.

I think i might loose money in the raffle, seeing how there are going to be like 5000 other people out there tryin to get it 2.

But ill but a ticket just for the heck of it.
-----------------------------------

One can only see how far
his eyes will take him
[May 20, 2007 7:46:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smilidom

Good idea!!!
Im going to do an event like that some day, so i can get lots of money and someone take care of my island ( when i get one of course ).
This is not the point of events those are for fun etc. this one is for making money for yer crew!!it's called greedy.
The money you are winning is of course, a lot more than wot you got for having an island. If it had any baazar it would be fair but its not, you need the money to buy the raffle then the money to stock the shipyard then the money to stock the fort and if you get any money out of it. it would be like 4-5k.
Smilidom on Hunter.

Nothing important so far...
[May 21, 2007 1:02:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megami1

And people who wouldn't normally get the chance to, get to be a governor without having to spend 3 million poe to blockade for it.

If you have a stall you have to pay to stock it. If you want to buy a shipyard, expect to pay a million for it. This gives you a full shipyard to run and use for a month without having to pay the opening costs or having to pay the million to buy it.

You also get the opportunity to buy coms from the merchants and pillaging vessels and then run them over to Aim, Prukru or Quetz and sell them off at a profit?

10k a ticket? Hell I wish I could govern an island for so cheap. If you don't want to participate in the event then don't. But at least have a clue what you are talking about before you go running off at the mouth about it.
Megami,
Retired
Lotsofgoats wrote: 
Megami has proposed a muffin. If you propose a waffle in return, ye will be breakfast buddies!

Intner wrote: 
Go fly a malakite!

[May 21, 2007 8:35:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moooo666

how does the transfur of gov happen, i mean you cant make the govener a greenie in an unknown flag. so who will that happen? will they have to be in your flag or what?

so to better phraze, the question is, if the winner doesn't have the fame to govener the island what happens?
Moocow of Hunter
SO Black Watch (Collusion)
born from the Sins of the Flesh
an all around utterly evil pirate

** please note my opinions are my own **
[May 21, 2007 11:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

The individual winner doesn't have to have ANY fame, whatsoever. The royals in OUR flag vote in the winner. The flag Sins of the Flesh is the ruling flag of the island, but all that means is that we have control over which governor we choose to elect. They could be an independent pirate.

Assassin for hire.
[May 21, 2007 11:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitthewilis

The royals in OUR flag RAFFEL the winner. The flag Sins of the Flesh is the ruling flag of the island, but all that means is that we have control over which governor we RAFFEL to elect. They could be an independent pirate.

Fixed :P

I like the event btw
Maggllio
[May 22, 2007 7:09:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SAFjord

how does the transfur of gov happen, i mean you cant make the govener a greenie in an unknown flag. so who will that happen? will they have to be in your flag or what?

so to better phraze, the question is, if the winner doesn't have the fame to govener the island what happens?

A flag's royalty may elect ANY pirate on the ocean as a governor for their island regardless of that pirate's crew or flag affiliation or stats.

It does not matter if they are a fresh green account with no crew or the monarch of a flag with which the island holding flag is at war.
The Fjord Difference®
[May 22, 2007 7:30:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

Wasn't broken...in the future, the monthly governor-elect will not be a raffle winner. They will win a different type of event. I was explaining the game mechanics as to why a pirate does not need to have certain fame/stats to become governor of an island.

FYI: Raffle.

Assassin for hire.
[May 22, 2007 7:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

Why? Getting rid off all the employees before we take over doesn't make sense.
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[May 22, 2007 8:50:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lynzerlot

Why? Getting rid off all the employees before we take over doesn't make sense.

It's more of a matter of right now, there are no employees. Between monthly governors June and July there may be no need to fire all employees, but that will be up to the July governor to decide.

Assassin for hire.
[May 22, 2007 8:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megami1

The shipyard is brand new and hasn't been used...not once since it was finished. There are no employees so there aren't any to get rid of. Keep in mind this is the first of our rotating governorship events. We won't run the same kind of event twice in a row. As Lynzerlot stated, we'll have a different event to choose the governor for July. The employees that don't belong to the June governor specifically will likely stay in the shoppe during the transfer of ownership.

And for those that think we are in this to make poe...we are. *GASP* "ZOMG! U can't do dat!" Well let's think about that for a second. We spent all that money to blockade the island, we are giving up all income rights to the island with the governorship....I think we are entitled to make a few poe in the event to select a new governor. Plus we are making Saiph fun for everyone. Jeez, you're right. We ARE GREEVIL!!!!! At the same time you should also know that most of the governorship events we are planning actually won't make us a single poe. We decided on the raffle first in an effort to recoup the rest of what it cost us to blockade in the first place. If you can't understand that...go back to math/business class.
Megami,
Retired
Lotsofgoats wrote: 

Intner wrote: 
Go fly a malakite!

[May 22, 2007 5:08:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snarrf

Points for being creative.

My turn: If no one will bid I will pay you 5k to be governor for one week. I get to pick the week though.

Also I will be governor and give you the profit from it if you want. I am fairly good at ekeing profit from the unprofitable.

Snarrf
The Evil Merchant
Muhahahahaha
[May 24, 2007 3:55:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Megami1

This isn't an auction, it's a raffle. We aren't taking bids for governorship. We may in the future do an auction of some type but that would be a few months down the road. Right now you'd need to follow the event rules laid out in the original post.
Megami,
Retired
Lotsofgoats wrote: 

Intner wrote: 
Go fly a malakite!

[May 24, 2007 5:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ryldd

GASP! PANDAS!!! *goes for a walk around the zoo*
arrr?
blissfully confused yet mentally competent (in game)

favorite quote:
"__(insert)__ makes my head hurt like math >_<"
[May 25, 2007 4:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

[quote]And people who wouldn't normally get the chance to, get to be a governor without having to spend 3 million poe more than 7 million PoE to blockade for it.

[quote]

come on! jobbers don't get paid themselves, ships aren't free and commodities doesn't come in cereal boxes!
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[May 25, 2007 11:15:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aret

why dont ye just hold every event so that it isnt available to people who arent as rich as ye and others i cant even afford a sloop let alone a raffle ticket you all should have events that dont require a lot of poe and that dont require ye to be sublime/ultimate in everything to win
Stasher Of Hunter
SO of Alpha & Omega
Representing Ressurection
[May 29, 2007 6:44:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    None    None    None [Link]  Go to top 
WolfpackNC

why dont ye just hold every event so that it isnt available to people who arent as rich as ye and others i cant even afford a sloop let alone a raffle ticket you all should have events that dont require a lot of poe and that dont require ye to be sublime/ultimate in everything to win

In response to this post and the limited similar grumblings about the cost, governorship is a huge deal with a lot of responsibility, both social and personal. In the same way that there are opening costs to opening stalls and requirements to being a captain, there should be (and is in this case - the 10K that you point out) some type of flow restriction to events such as this. Did you see the massive amounts of entries to the naming contest? Yeah. That scared me. :) Either way, I hope SotF makes a mint on this and cheers to making an outpost totally relevant.
-Wolfpack (Hunter)
Shipsofsnow tells you, "Ellipses make the man, good sir"
[May 29, 2007 9:24:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates