• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 67
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19347 times and has 66 replies Next Thread
Serpentiator

Re: Puzzle Codename: Carp Reply to this Post

Nah, not overdone in any way, methinks. It merely says "HEY! I R DAIZ!" - a good tweak in my opinion:)
----------------------------------------
- Archonis
Damagon said:

There is nothing sweeter than making fun of those who PNT by mistake.

[Jan 27, 2008 12:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chada500

I thought that the tweaks were good also. It's an awsome game and is quite addicting. As for the levels, I seemed to like around level 7, it was complex and challenging but didn't take forever and wasn't too commplicating. If only it would look more like you were building something later in the process though. Besides that, very good job.
Viridianmast says, "Ak the OM's are trying to sink me =P"
Dlonelyone says," Just tell them you're alone and you're trying to get across, they're pretty nice.
"Gaia tells you," Hold still while I smash you into the wall!! XD
[Feb 23, 2008 1:10:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

OK, from the feedback from Round 2, I've gathered that the upper levels are too time-consuming. The whole dice mechanic also met with lukewarm response. I'm tempted to remove the dice mechanic and just increase difficulty by introducing larger patterns, but if that were to happen, would Carp become too similar to existing Y!PP and third party puzzles? Also, would anyone here miss the dice novelty? If so, should I just lower the proportion of multicolored dice?

Alternatively, are there any suggestions on how to improve the intuitiveness of the dice mechanic? I've found that multicolored dice require distilling-like tricks (non-obvious localized moves) to be effectively used.

Bump
I just played my first round of Carp. The way the colors would change made my brain hurt until I read more of the documentation. Yes, the dice is not an obvious visual. I do origami and make boxes. I am ashamed of myself. But once I clued into the concept it was a big OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment, and the idea is a lot of fun. It makes sense, once I knew. It is a neat enough idea, and way too functional a piece of game mechanic, to ditch when some visual gloss, like an animated dice or folding up the sides, could bridge the gap.
Please don't dump the dice?

Edit in to add: It plays a bit like Chuzzle...?
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Perlandria at May 20, 2008 11:52:44 AM]
[May 20, 2008 11:50:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
Aliono

I like the game. I find it fun, though it might be better if you can add in an animation of the dice rolling, plus a "what color's this way" thing.
http://akamiidea.webs.com
Akami

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Feinte
Project Feinte - Feedback/artist/coder is wanted! Consistently updated!

Inumo of Sage
[May 21, 2008 6:17:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Some suggestions:
There is no random factor feeling in the puzzle at all. Forage has monkeys, Carp has putty buckets, blige has crabs.... There needs to be something to to keep players along the way. Other wise it just kinda feels like a mindless click and play

Allow the player to pick which of the three they want to make vs. forcing the first one on the list to be the only one you are able to create.

Find a way to tie in the game with the shoppe it's being made for, right now there is no visual or conceptual links.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Dec 15, 2008 9:56:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grurmio

Just to put in the right thread, what a mess...

To think it in analogy to a furniture construction game it would do great. And I think would do better if the cubes act as worked pieces instead of ropes, anchors, sail cloth (shipyard game).

My opinion is to use a random coloring factor, a piece with gold or black paint will be different from a normal, cheaper paint(something like a black dot, or shining would do the trick but you can use both normal or shiny pieces). If there are needs of those golden furniture you'll have to produce more labor to get the piece, also it might not give a full score on the game if you can't use them.

To be different from the shipyard construction puzzle, it's better to use different graphics such as a part of the chair, but to seems like a part of chair, door design, wooden legs, and stuff would do ok as they are common to most furniture. The chests, jails, and also some weird stuff such as skulls, for some specific furniture would do nice to be random stuff and to show if there's need of some kind of furniture that use this structure. (following last post idea to give more extra stuff to the game, there might be useless stuff that you can clear if you score enough points if a saw, a hammer, etc).

Nonetheless it's ok to be something related to the vessel constructing, as it actually is, since you still have to build something and people would understand it more quicker if they have already played the other game.

Conclusion:

To conclude, first it startled me cause i hate the magic cube, but then when I understand it I find it was very pretty clear, these are some of my ideas, I've really enjoyed the game, and I know that i suggest a lot of stuff. The basics are well pretty good, and of course it is fun and addicttionable. Don't like to think the diffilcult would be only on constructing and putting the pieces on bigger combinations. But to show more of those random factors I've mentioned.

Good job, keep at it!

Ps: Yeap, I've posted on the wrong thread so I've deleted it and posted in this one.
[Dec 21, 2008 3:39:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://gongo.my-place.us/ [Link]  Go to top 
Daggerpoint

I quite like this one. Granted, I can't quite do the higher levels, but I don't see myself in the upper echelons of gamers either.

I also have to agree with earlier posters in that it can be used outside of Furnishing (such as Construction and Tailoring, for example, with material changes, of course). But the bit I appreciate most of all is the familiarity with other puzzles, which helps out in this game, as it makes learning the game easier.

I do have a couple of qualms, though:
1. It does get confusing the harder the levels get.
2. What is the purpose of the dice cubes?
[Nov 23, 2009 6:15:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates