• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5502 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Sarterixa

New Navigation Video Reply to this Post

Navigation Video

This video is about 9 minutes long, 18 megs in size. I tried to make it smaller but lost smoothness along the way, so 18 megs it is. This is a small section of the 42 minute video that I did. If you're interested in the full version PM me and we'll arrange something. Currently I'm ultimate in navigation, somewhere in the top 10.

Thanks again to jamesnine for providing the host.

Older videos
Bilging Video
Sailing Video
Carpentry Video
Distilling Video
----------------------------------------
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sarterixa at Mar 4, 2004 6:29:23 AM]
[Mar 4, 2004 6:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FyreFaerie

Re: New Navigation Video Reply to this Post

I'd love to watch this... but what sort of file is is a .rar?
fyre / fyrefaerie / laura
Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
@chicgeek on twitter
[Mar 4, 2004 2:03:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.laurakishimoto.ca    girlthatisgeek    girlthatisgeek    24427833 [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

It's a type of archive, much akin to a .zip

I -think- you can download winrar free from various places.
[Mar 4, 2004 2:38:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

WinRAR

It's a trial version but it never expires.
Sart
[Mar 4, 2004 2:46:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

ok, so i dowloaded the file, got winrar to unarchive it, and then tried to open it in Quicktime, RealPlayer, and Windows Mediaplayer, and they all gave me messages that more or less stated that they couldn't open/play/display the file format, and that no downloads were available that could open them. Quicktime was closest, it gave me 9 minutes and 40 seconds of blank screen... hmmm kinda like that old sci-fi movie.. what was it, contact? anyway, yeah, how do i open this bloody file? oh, on windows 98.
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Mar 4, 2004 3:39:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

This video was encoded using Xvid, so you'll need to get that codec. You can probably get it off of www.divx.com. If that fails, www.divx-digest.com has it as well.
Sart
[Mar 4, 2004 3:55:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RosiePirate

I also needed WinRAR to view the video.

www.rarsoft.com/

Also, the codec was hard for me to find. The link I used was:

http://www.divx.com/divx/

Just below a light blue box with lots of checks detailing the features in each type of download, I used: Standard DivX Codec(FREE)

Happy Sailing!

Rosiepirate
[Mar 4, 2004 11:15:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sydney9783

Sarterixa, if I knew your gender, I might say I love you. I've yet to achieve the rank to navigate, but this will certainly prove useful when I do.

It's a pity the sailing video download doesn't work. ;_; But the other three were indescribly helpful. I had no idea you could turn the boards in carpendry. O_o
[Mar 5, 2004 9:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Turns out I accidentally typed the link wrong. Should work now.
Sart
[Mar 6, 2004 2:39:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It's a pity the sailing video download doesn't work. ;_; But the other three were indescribly helpful. I had no idea you could turn the boards in carpendry. O_o

Right click.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 6, 2004 9:32:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Dear Sart,

I love you! If this can get me up to being just a fine at nav, I (well Sassafras actually) owes you a huge kiss.

Thanks a bunch,
Me

/me goes to download the video
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Mar 17, 2004 11:23:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
54x

If we could watch people puzzling, I'd be more than happy to help you out. The problem with nav is that it's hard to abstract-ise your hints. The first one is: Never misplace a star of a colour you need for your constellation, and place the other stars so that you don't have to misplace those critical ones.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 17, 2004 7:52:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
baast

54x wrote: 
If we could watch people puzzling, I'd be more than happy to help you out. The problem with nav is that it's hard to abstract-ise your hints. The first one is: Never misplace a star of a colour you need for your constellation, and place the other stars so that you don't have to misplace those critical ones.

It's ok DB, I know you would help if you could, but flying to New Zealand gets expensive :P
Besides I love you anyway!

Will puzzle for wool.
[Mar 17, 2004 8:50:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
54x

LOL.

Actually, I was talking about that often-requesting feature of "I want to watch someone swordfight/puzzle." I think this ability would do wonders for teaching the duty puzzles, although it would be amazingly hard to code :)

If you fly me to the USA, you can keep me as your pet Uni student :p

note: Don't fly him to the USA. Keep Diamondblade in his natural habitat. -Greenpeace.
from Midnight.
[Mar 17, 2004 10:21:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
dalesd

I can't get the carp or nav videos to work.

For carp, the download quits partway through (somewhere between 5 to 9 mb) and WinRar gives the error:
"! C:\downloads\carpentry encode.rar: Unexpected end of archive"

The nav video downloads and unrars fine, but it won't play. Windoes Media Player gives an "unknown error". I have the divx codec installed.

Bilge, distilling, and sail work fine. (Although there's no sound. Is there supposed to be sound?)
[Mar 18, 2004 4:59:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

54x wrote: 

If you fly me to the USA, you can keep me as your pet Uni student :p

That's something to consider, I have always wanted a pet Uni student to hug and love and keep it for my very own! Can I call you Melvin?

Will puzzle for wool.
[Mar 19, 2004 9:46:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
baast

dalesd wrote: 
I can't get the carp or nav videos to work.

For carp, the download quits partway through (somewhere between 5 to 9 mb) and WinRar gives the error:
"! C:\downloads\carpentry encode.rar: Unexpected end of archive"

The nav video downloads and unrars fine, but it won't play. Windoes Media Player gives an "unknown error". I have the divx codec installed.

Bilge, distilling, and sail work fine. (Although there's no sound. Is there supposed to be sound?)

If you right click on it, there is an option about queue up or something similar, that makes it play in windows mediaplayer with no probs

Will puzzle for wool.
[Mar 25, 2004 8:16:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
Popper

/me mutters curmudgeonly why do people have to use trendy formats like RAR and xvid just bcause they're better.
[Mar 28, 2004 5:11:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

It's called "redistributing support due to functionality" :P

It's also the reason Fire[bird/fox] is the fastest growing browser on the web.
from Midnight.
[Mar 28, 2004 5:37:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

<rant>

HOLY CRAP That rates as one of the worst video encodes I've ever seen. Choppy as hell. Probably because the player is trying to render a constant TWO HUNDRED frames a second. Whatever you're using to record, jeez, lower the capture frame rate. It'll come out a hell of a lot smoother, and you can probably lower the filesize considerably. Wow... 200fps, wtf. I've done a fair amount of video recording/compression for games (Used to have to 'Prove' my THPS2 combos), and I always capped at 24 or 30fps... perfectly smooth, even with a lot of action going on. I can't even begin to imagine how your computer is trying to cope with capturing that many frames. Specially for what, 42 minutes was the original vid? Ouch.

So yeah. Uh.. Try capturing at 30fps. seriously.

</rant>
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Mar 28, 2004 6:31:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

54x wrote: 
It's also the reason Fire[bird/fox] is the fastest growing browser on the web.

It needs faster load times. I can start loading Firefox, then load IE and view my webpage before Fox finishes loading. Blech.

atteSmythe,
who, with the amount of posting he does, is all about shaving seconds...

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 29, 2004 1:15:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

atteSmythe wrote: 
It needs faster load times. I can start loading Firefox, then load IE and view my webpage before Fox finishes loading. Blech.

While I do agree that it's still a little slow in loading (not nearly as bad as its big brother Mozilla, though), comparing it to IE load speed isn't fair. IE is more or less an external interface to the built-in, already running routines in Windows.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Mar 29, 2004 1:37:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Perhaps you should update your codecs Aiz. I've heard similar complaints from people with codecs over 2 years old.
Sart
[Mar 29, 2004 1:50:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

joedigriz wrote: 
atteSmythe wrote: 

While I do agree that it's still a little slow in loading (not nearly as bad as its big brother Mozilla, though), comparing it to IE load speed isn't fair. IE is more or less an external interface to the built-in, already running routines in Windows.

It may not be fair, but it's the reality of the situation. Life sucks sometimes.

atteSmythe,
who'd rather have loadspeed than tabbed browsing

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 29, 2004 1:54:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

Sarterixa wrote: 
Perhaps you should update your codecs Aiz. I've heard similar complaints from people with codecs over 2 years old.

I updated Divx and Xvid last week.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Mar 29, 2004 2:17:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Well, my only other comment is that if you don't like them do something about it yourself. Nothing is stopping you from releasing your own videos if you don't like mine.
Sart
[Mar 29, 2004 3:30:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shankfoo

weeeeee 0.5 frames per second with latest DivX on a PIII 850...
[Mar 29, 2004 6:35:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Sart, I'm not going to rant or complain because you are doing a favor to people by even offering these, and it's not anyone's place to get upset with you over them. Constructive ways to improve would be nice, but I don't really like the way people are talking in this thread. Sure, some videos are choppy or lag or whatever, but they are still incredibly helpful, and I have no trouble following them at least enough to understand what you are doing.
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Mar 29, 2004 6:08:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

I agree with ramirojr.

Sart, I really appreciate those videos, Not only do I now see what an Ultimate puzzles like.. I picked up quite a few ideas on how to improve myself. (Unfortunately nav wasn't one of them but it did get me up to poor as opposed to booched)

I hope you are planning to do vids for all the puzzles that end up coming out personally. Even if I will never be Ult, it helps to see how other people do things, because everyone plays differently. It's enlightening to see how others do it. Keep up the good work!

Will puzzle for wool.
[Mar 29, 2004 9:35:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Firefox loads PAGES faster. I can put up with the slow browser loadtime for the fact that there's a noticable speed difference in the rendering, that I get tabs, better bookmark organisation tools, and all sorts of other goodies. :)

weeeeee 0.5 frames per second with latest DivX on a PIII 850...

Tradeoff between playability and quality. I can make easily-playable videos that don't take up too much space, but they look horrid. I guess Sart choose the opposite, and you can't really ask someone to use up even MORE hostspace and bandwidth hosting low quality versions of something they did for your benefit...
from Midnight.
[Mar 29, 2004 10:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates