• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28510 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
LongJohnGrey

Re: Distilling Record [Video] Reply to this Post

No problem.
----------------------------------------
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[May 29, 2004 3:00:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Myerknas

You make it out to be all simple and stuff, and it is, in principle, but I just don't have the manual dexterity to do what you do. I mess up far too often.
[May 29, 2004 2:51:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Hey, it's also the responsiveness of your machine.

My 128 machine isn't anywhere near responsive enough, often enough. Nor, at 550 MHz, even fast enough to do the graphics when it is responsive.
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[May 30, 2004 6:47:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

What's interesting is that he does this every time, seldom doesn't get a CC^12, and is still like 7th in the ocean, while I'm 5th, and I've gotten maybe 10 CC^12s in my lifetime.
-Cahrin
[May 30, 2004 10:58:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

People who do this scare me. I can only dream of ever being this good in any puzzle.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[May 30, 2004 11:22:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Yup, this confirms it for me. My computer is just too damn slow to pull that off. =P

At least it doesn't matter too much in Distillery, still annoys the hell out of me regarding SF.
[Jun 1, 2004 2:10:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

I do usually get a cc12/cc11, but the occasional fit of -nasty- spices will get me now and then:

I should put that in your "goofy contests" thread shur :)
- Quintalis, the far too old.
[Jun 1, 2004 8:30:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dornbeast

Quintalis wrote: 
I do usually get a cc12/cc11, but the occasional fit of -nasty- spices will get me now and then:

I should put that in your "goofy contests" thread shur :)

So, what did you do in that? Settle for a CC4?

Dornbeast, positive he could set up a CC3 in that situation, but not sure about the fourth column.
I be a pirate with a one-track mind. I can puzzle, or I can talk. Now, d'ye want this bilge drained, or not?
[Jun 1, 2004 8:38:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

I had a cc-8. Had to squirm the white pieces through what little space I had, I had to stop at the double-spice row, just couldn't move anymore. (moved a bunch of brown pieces down into the black space at the bottom and shifted a lot down, and moved some up through the mid-top into a black space.) Generally, if you don't have at least a cc-7 lined up before you start pushing cc columns, you aren't going to get a cc-12. Amazingly enough, I still got an incredible. I guess all those spice bonuses do help :)
- Quintalis, the far too old.
[Jun 1, 2004 11:42:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Aye, a CC^8 will still get you an incredible, even without the spices.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Jun 1, 2004 11:46:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Quintalis wrote: 
Amazingly enough, I still got an incredible. I guess all those spice bonuses do help :)

You probably did better than if you had to waste those spices for a larger CC^, anyway - that's a lot of spice to just burn.

atteSmythe,
who misses his place on the top 10

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jun 2, 2004 2:32:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

One time I had a CC^3. It was madness. I bet I was on the verge of excellent.
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jun 2, 2004 4:09:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

I remember when I did distilling.

I could consistently get excellent and incredibles, and grandmaster ranking.

How? Simple.

1. Never send up black; keep grey to minimum.
2. Send spice up. Spice is bonus.
3. Don't be afriad to burn white. Better to burn white than send up black.
4. Multiple CC? Nah. Spice is more important.

I'm very serious -- that would get me excellent and the occasional incredible, and grandmaster.

Now, it's been almost a month since I last played distillery.
Think I'll go back? Not a chance.

LJG
really hoping speed isn't a factor in the other labor puzzles.

We're here to have fun and make Poe. And we're all out of Poe.
Wait a sec ... that didn't come out quite right.
Hypnos wrote: 
[Jun 2, 2004 3:17:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Nemo wrote: 
We all huddled around the screen, watching the video, chuckling. That is some sexy distilling.

What scares me is the fact that I can see ye all huddled around your computer, in the dark, nothing but the video, all chuckling manically.

Okay, I think I just scared myself again.

Edit:

And yes this did help me. Though I'm still sucking badly. I've got more than a single CC, got up to ^2!!! ;), but I did get alot more clearer.. just need to work on me speed now.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Jun 3, 2004 10:58:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerod

Excellents and Grand Master are nice if all you're wanting is that pay check and providing Expert Labor. But if you make it a point to send up every row of spice, and only rows of spice, you'll never get Increds every time, much less get Ultimate.

On the other hand, a cc^12 is nice, but a cc^10 with 3 double spices is better imo (I could be wrong). I go out of my way to start my combos on a spice row, or right before a spice row (even if I have to burn a few). I never get anything but increds and am ultimate (I'll never see the top 10 though, because it's partially based on how often you play the puzzle, or being Grimes.)

These days I get nothing worse than a cc^10 even with spice blocks like the one above. And if the video is real time speed, then I feel confident saying that Quintalis is faster than me, but I'm better at starting off. ;p
[Sep 3, 2004 11:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Jerod wrote: 
I never get anything but increds and am ultimate (I'll never see the top 10 though, because it's partially based on how often you play the puzzle, or being Grimes.)

No no no no no.

I was on holiday through the second 1/2 of August. I had access to PP, but because I had to use a funny mouse, I couldn't distill (or gun) for 20 days.

I was still 2nd in the Ocean (and 1st in Emerald) for about 10 days, before i went dormant and dropped out the top 10 lists.

I came back on the 1st September, and played the puzzle once. Got a CC^10. Within 1/2 hour i was back on my usual spot on the top 10 (1 in emerald, 2 in ocean - curse you, Faulkston :-P).

That should prove that it's not how much you play it, but how well you play it.

I do think it is similar to how olympic diving is marked..... you drop your lowest score (meaning if you booch it, you aren't out the top 10 for good)

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 3, 2004 8:56:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
mlong35

How many people find this puzzle easy to understand? I know the rules of piece movement, and I can sometimes almost see how you plan string movements but I just can't wrap my brain around this one. I am still an Able (had a Distinguished for as long as it took me to play it again) and can not seem to improve. I am good at all the other puzzles, but I wonder if there is a trick to aligning them I just can't see. A mate of mine tried it for the first time yesterday and is already Renowned. I am just frustrated to no ends at this puzzle! I try to shift to the left like the video, but apparently I am not fast enough at it, and burn pieces like crazy. Is there an intermediate strategy I can employ that might at least make me not booch it so bad? I am not at the point to give it up, but it makes me feel like a gawking idiot when it seems so easy! Also, am I making too much out of it, and maybe it takes a month or two to get it?
Tarquinius
[Sep 4, 2004 12:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Different people learn how to do it at different speeds. I'm fairly certain Quintalis wasn't getting CC^12s his first day.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Sep 4, 2004 12:22:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

mlong35 wrote: 
How many people find this puzzle easy to understand? I know the rules of piece movement, and I can sometimes almost see how you plan string movements but I just can't wrap my brain around this one. I am still an Able (had a Distinguished for as long as it took me to play it again) and can not seem to improve. I am good at all the other puzzles, but I wonder if there is a trick to aligning them I just can't see. A mate of mine tried it for the first time yesterday and is already Renowned. I am just frustrated to no ends at this puzzle! I try to shift to the left like the video, but apparently I am not fast enough at it, and burn pieces like crazy. Is there an intermediate strategy I can employ that might at least make me not booch it so bad? I am not at the point to give it up, but it makes me feel like a gawking idiot when it seems so easy! Also, am I making too much out of it, and maybe it takes a month or two to get it?

I'll try and help, because when I was a newbie, this thread really helped me, especially the video.

OK, here was my Basic Strategy when i begun.
1. Don't burn whites. If you do, try and burn them again so they disappear.

2. Try and make columns as smooth as possible (ie learn how you can move pieces into slots... lateral thinking!)

3. Remember how pieces move... if you just remember white swap up with blacks, blacks swap up with browns, and browns swap up with whites, you should be OK. (Mnemonic fo this would be handy)

4. Try really hard not to jam the board up. If you do, quit the puzzle, and restart. 9 times out of 10 you Can unjam the board, but it takes a lot of lateral, quick thinking.

That should give you the foundation to an intermediate strategy (this was when i was easily producing skilled labour and i was desperate for expert labour - there was only 1 worker in the crew stall who could produce expert labour)

1. Once you have the hang of thinking ahead (this can only be attained by practise!!), you shouldn't be getting any blacks in the batch (or burnt whites)

2. Try and use spices. They aren't too much of a bonus (heck i got 3 spices in my second CC row once.... the batch was worryingly gingerly), but you should try and get them in

3. Try and conserve pieces, by shuffling a few back. That way, if spices turn up, you can send them up. By saving pieces, you can switch from smooths to CCs.

4. Try and chain. Don't worry about high crystal clears, but if you do send up a smooth, try and balance it back with a CC^2 or something.

5. Speed comes to you over time, as you get familiar with the moves. Don't expect miracles, but you will slowly improve over time.

Now... I do have a picture tutorial of distilling, which I am willing to share, but i don't have anywhere to host it....

I'll try and post the pictures up here, but it may not work

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Image hosting
Web hosting
Don't try to host images on ProHosting for external servers though; they block by referrer.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Warning: 11 pics Reply to this Post

Wow thanks ivaz!

here we go.. warning 11 pictures..

Wow me and my old feather hat... lol

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 4, 2004 5:06:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Quin's videos will likely only help you once you're already getting pretty large chains, say, CC^5 and above. That's because you need to already have a very good sense of how the pieces move, and that you can easily manipulate the background through which the pieces move by moving OTHER pieces, before saying things like "keep moving to the left" will help.

For example, there are people who don't realise that you can move yellow and black pieces THROUGH your rows of Crystal Clears right to the other side, if there aren't too many rows. So you have to then start concentrating on moving pieces through the background of whites when your batch of Crystal Clears gets big enough. Then once it reaches six, you have to start pushing to the right again, and try desperately to add as many extra rows as you can before you get a non-CC row reaching the right.

Oh, and for those of you who suffer from the "You can FLIP the piece?" syndrome, right-clicking will advance the puzzle for when there are REALLY no moves you can make, but I suggest mostly not using it.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2004 7:04:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
MaxDemian

I have made a distilling video (24 meg) that I think will really help anybody that studies it more than the current videos out if I can find someone to host it. It is only a cc10 due to the recording program lagging the bajeezus out of my comp, but if someone will host it, ill explain it. And its a same method that will work for everything from cc4s to cc13s (which ive gotten twice), just a matter of getting better and faster at doing the same thing.
"Maxdemian is quite right" -Demeter
Diamond: because Quizzical's signature is too good NOT to steal!
Max's House of Black!!!!!22
[Sep 6, 2004 12:19:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.flvresources.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You'll probably be able to encode it a lot better and get the size down to ~~5mb. 24mb is quite a bit.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2004 12:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
mlong35

Thanks Piplicus! That helped slow it down so I could see the pattern better. I am now able to move the pieces a lot faster and in strings. I have a little hope that I will soon be able to see the whole thing faster and be able to think my way out of the traps better than I do now. And thanks to everyone in this thread for all the help and patience you've show to those of us not naturally gifted to the subtle art of distilling!
Tarquinius
[Sep 8, 2004 1:48:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

mlong35 wrote: 
Thanks Piplicus! That helped slow it down so I could see the pattern better. I am now able to move the pieces a lot faster and in strings. I have a little hope that I will soon be able to see the whole thing faster and be able to think my way out of the traps better than I do now. And thanks to everyone in this thread for all the help and patience you've show to those of us not naturally gifted to the subtle art of distilling!

Yeah, well, not everyone finds it easy to move pieces around in a puzzle where all movement depends on the nearby pieces. :)
from Midnight.
[Sep 8, 2004 6:07:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

54x wrote: 

Hey, show me a CC^22 or CC^23, and I'll be impressed.

It's not even pysically possible to queue up more than an additional eight rows, and even a ^14 is VERY impressive.

/me was surprised we got CC^12s so early

Granted, this pic only shows a CC^13 in place, but I think it's safe to assume that I could have hit the magical CC^14. There was an outside chance that I could get a CC^15 out of that board, but no guarantee...

[URL=http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=cc24.jpg][/URL]
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Sep 23, 2004 12:45:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laramy

My first CC^12 ever:

I was like i found a chest full of doublons! Since then, I have come to make CC^11s and CC^12s given spices don't come in my way or the piece generator gives me enough whites to wrap up my session.
Laramy,
Captain of iRum.
Leader of the Rum Cartel.
[Feb 28, 2005 2:49:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

congratulations! = )

but....why are ya bumping a very old thread?

please tell me if I'm being rude, as I've been on the gamefaqs fora for a while now and it really makes you more...rude... because of all tha noobs...
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Feb 28, 2005 3:28:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fecund

Wow thank's guys finally did some expert labour :P.
Fecund,
Captain of the crew Hell's Messengers
[Jun 11, 2005 1:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates