• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27691 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
Quintalis

Distilling Record [Video] Reply to this Post

Thanks much to LongJohnGrey for the new server!
Here it is
----------------------------------------
- Quintalis, the far too old.
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Quintalis at Mar 2, 2004 2:11:49 AM]
[Mar 2, 2004 2:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

Re: New Distilling Record Reply to this Post

Quintalis wrote: 
I know it doesn't count as cc^13, but hey.... it's there. had I been able to shift over one more row, it could have very well been a cc^14....

That's a CC^13 in my book, even thought it doesn't count in game. Congrats...

You scare me. (Best I've done is CC^9)

(Hmm... maybe the game should keep going until you nolonger get a CC? That'd add an interesting twist - it'd make it easier to get the really long ones, though, as I personally find it hard to group the first few rows in)
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Mar 2, 2004 3:10:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Re: Distilling Record [Video] Reply to this Post

How in the bloody hells do you people do this?
Hermit Smurrf
[Mar 2, 2004 5:06:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

Shift to the left, matey!

Just keep a shifting all the white ye can to the left.... as far as ye can squeeze it. Most of the time you'll end up with nearly an entire screen of white if ye do it correctly. Be careful not to burn any white, but burn the spices all ye want. Be quick, or you'll run out of time shifting your multiple rows of white. I'll do a more complete tutorial on it later!
[Mar 2, 2004 5:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Quintalis wrote: 
the secret of ultimate distilling

curse you Quintalis, i'll never get back in the top ten now!
Glub (again)
[Mar 2, 2004 5:49:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

Slummock wrote: 
Quintalis wrote: 
the secret of ultimate distilling

curse you Quintalis, i'll never get back in the top ten now!

i shift like crazy and produce expert labor consistently, but the most i can hit is CC^5

oh well
[Mar 2, 2004 10:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

/me points.

Also, it's not technically a record since CC^13 don't actually exist, and you didn't actually get credit for that last row.

=p
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ramirojr at Mar 2, 2004 12:02:35 PM]
[Mar 2, 2004 12:02:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

/me hits ram with a rusty spade.

That's like saying a double-vegas doesn't count, because the game just said vegas again. It's a CC^13. It's only POSSIBLE to get 12 rows up. It's not as if he had a junk row in there somewhere, or his combo broke...
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 2, 2004 7:44:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

I was more amused by bronchitis telling him to get a team together.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Mar 2, 2004 7:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
ramirojr

Hey, show me a CC^22 or CC^23, and I'll be impressed.
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[Mar 3, 2004 2:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheT

lol! it would seem that bronchitis was out trying to get more harmless sloops sunk in his little war. oh and why would anyone ever order 500 units of swill??? like... yeah

CC^22?? anyway..
Sokar
Knights of the Republic
[Mar 3, 2004 9:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Hey, show me a CC^22 or CC^23, and I'll be impressed.

It's not even pysically possible to queue up more than an additional eight rows, and even a ^14 is VERY impressive.

/me was surprised we got CC^12s so early
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Mar 3, 2004 2:47:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

How can you get more of a percentage of white pieces? Often I have merely one column of white pieces, nicely presented, and no other white pieces are introduced to the field for many turns....All I get are browns and blacks, with the occasional spice that I don't have enough white pieces presented to even hope to fill a column.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Apr 27, 2004 1:59:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Just keep pushing the white pieces to the left until you have enough to start your chain. Also, once your chain is started, keep working on it. If your have a buffer of 5 or 6 CCs in front of you, you have plenty of time to add the five or six more ye need...if you get enough pieces that is.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Apr 27, 2004 2:17:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

Video re-posted, see top.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Quintalis at May 17, 2004 2:43:51 PM]
[May 17, 2004 2:43:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

dude.....

i am not worthy.....

*goes into shock from awe*
The one & only SD, often imitated but never duplicated

If you gonna shoot for the stars, then just shoot me

If you let me you won't regret me,
Shii, if you let me you won't forget me
[May 17, 2004 3:14:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
Dodongo77

thats....incredible!
[May 17, 2004 11:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darth_Mawl

Quintalis, ye are God among distillers. I think I learned more from watching that video than anywhere else.
~ Gerheiej ~
Wanderer of the High Seas.
[May 18, 2004 12:35:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    agentfishburn [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Quite impressive. I did learn a few tricks that just never seemed to click before (such as dragging black or brown pieces right to left to help drag others back to the right).
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[May 18, 2004 12:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Very impressive.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[May 18, 2004 7:28:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

We all huddled around the screen, watching the video, chuckling. That is some sexy distilling.
[May 18, 2004 9:08:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Wow. That is so anti-intuitive though, moving all the blacks to the right to start off with, but seeing it in action really brings the sense to it. Simply amazing.
[size=10]Aerosol - Captain, Aeronauts
Visit Ye Independents Forum Page!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[May 18, 2004 9:19:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Does anyone have a windows playback tool that will give me EXACT same size playback, no scaling, without the taskbar being in the way? (On top of the taskbar while active), without any playback controls tied to the window taking up the space that makes it impossible?

WMP, windowed, is too scrunched. Full screen it is scewed. (sic)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[May 18, 2004 10:51:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

Distilling Help: Reply to this Post

There are several stages to distilling, and I will explain how I personally get through each one.

Stage 1: Shift it baby!

You see that starting screen? All that gets burnt..... the entire next screen too. Every single white piece on that screen has to move to the left, all the way to the left. In doing so, however, you must be -extremely- careful what happens to your supply of black/brown pieces. Make sure that any black pieces on the bottom two rows (at least) move up, and that any brown pieces in the top two rows move down. The farther up-down you can swap these two, (stratifying them on the lefthand side of your screen.) the better. You want to keep shifting white to the left, however I find keeping a 2 column buffer full of black/brown stratified pieces on the left helps out a lot. If at any point I do not need to shift white (if it's about to hit the furnace) I'm usually arranging my black/brown pieces.

Stage 2: Roadblocks (aka. Spices)

Spices suck, pure and simple. In the grand sceme of things all spices do is get in your way. If you run into a bad spice blockade, there is nothing you can do about it, but most spice blockades can be worked around. If you follow the upward and downward columns from the right edge of a spice, you'll see a triangle. I.E.:
0**

If any white pieces reside in these spaces, they are top priority for movement! Once the screen shifts too far to the right, it can get trapped behind a spice barrier because you can no longer get a black/brown piece to retrieve it with! Working around this can be very difficult or impossible.

Stage 3: Endgame

Once you can no longer shift an entire column of white to the left, STOP. Be careful with this, it's hard to tell when to keep going and when to stop shifting. Being conservative can cost you one more vital column of pieces, and being zealous can cost you a bleech! (or lots of burnt pieces, or just a non CC row.) Once you stop shifting, it's time to fill in the gaps. If you have any left in the middle of your white, fill those first. (Usually accomplished simply by moving the offending piece to the left side of the white mass, but if it's a black stuck at the bottom, or a brown at the top, you'll need to do some recon with other black/orange pieces. Once you have filled in a few columns from incoming white pieces you will start to approach the end of your chain. This is also a semi-crucial point. At which point do you stop attempting to fill in that last white column? A good judge of this is statistics, you will, on the average, get 3 white pieces per incoming column. So if you only have 2 columns left, and you want to fill one more column, it better be a spice filled 9-high column. Thats about all for now, possibly more later.

Oh, and come work at Quintalis' Distilling Stall on turtle!
(Hurray for blaitant advertising!)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Quintalis at May 18, 2004 2:21:38 PM]
[May 18, 2004 2:21:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

As someone who has hardly played the puzzle at all, I can tell it'll be awhile before I can even understand what I'm seeing in this video... but I thank you for it, and your tips.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[May 18, 2004 2:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
miceless

Its 6am here and I am now most definitely awake. That video is just crazy!

I mean, wow!
[size=11]miceless
[size=9]Officer of the crew Sinking Feelings
Member of the flag Widows and Orphans
[May 18, 2004 2:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LaughingCow

True story: the second time I played Distilling after watching this video, I suceeded in putting up two sets of CC^6, got what I believe to be my second Incredible ever, and broke Ultimate in my archipelago.

Color me impressed.
Jhovall
Carpenter Extraordinaire, Blacksmith Extraordinairer
Midnight Ocean
[May 18, 2004 3:59:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.yellow5.com/pokey [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

I had to take down my pictures and the video. You guys destroyed my bandwidth limit :). I wasn't expecting 8 GIGS in 2 weeks. I'll repost sometime later...
[May 28, 2004 1:25:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Ok, I have a *FIXED* working mirror set up

http://www.nccom.com/~michael/ftp/videos/cc13.zip

Could not get the ftp served side to work from IE. Works just fine from ftp, though. Odd.

Standard rule: Right click and save-as.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LongJohnGrey at May 28, 2004 8:41:24 AM]
[May 28, 2004 8:41:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quintalis

Thanks!
[May 28, 2004 9:28:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates