• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1162 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Badpuppy

Tradin' Reply to this Post

AS much as I search there is no trading, (order yellow dye on alpha, sell it in Winter) Is this a correct assumption?
[Mar 1, 2004 6:09:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Tradin' Reply to this Post

For the time being, aye.

In my (limited) experience, there was much more trading available in Azure. There was at the beginning of Midnight, too.

Right now, many flags are 'vertically integrated.' That is, they own the shops that sell to each other, so most of their business is done in-house. This may or may not change with colonisation.

Your best bet, right now, is personally talking with shopkeeps and learning whether there are any supplies they especially need. In particular, if you can find a reliable source of Iron (they're out there, but difficult to get to), I imagine the mongers would be quite grateful.

atteSmythe,
not the trader of his crew
----------------------------------------

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 1, 2004 6:12:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Zarn

I would disagree on there being no trading. The business of commoditity trading can be quite active. Granted the self contained structure of most flags discourages nearly all trading between shops, however with foraging and markets, there is still quite some pontential to see some profit in trading. As for iron, most mongers have lowered buy prices to the point where it's no longer worth the time to supply them with iron. Why bother going to a market (the easiest source for mass quantities), risk your poe on route, buy it up, then come back and sale it for at most less than a 2% profit in many cases. Only to have to spend tons of poe on cannon balls that a month ago were nearly 50% cheaper. Market sell prices for iron range from 9 to 12 poe. Buy prices range from about 9 to 12 as well with a few exceptions mostly on Guava with 15 on buy and Turtle with 13 on buy. Either way, a sloop only holds about 1750 iron at max so you can see where a 1 or 2 poe profit per becomes a total waste of time in most cases.
I'm not saying that everyone needs to set the prices as out of order as they were during the shortage but if shoppes would give traders a break on cannon or at least raise their buy prices to a fairly consistent 14-15 range, it would be worth the effort to give them iron. As long as they keep their buy prices in teh "we'll get it ourself to make our products cheaper range"... I say let them get it themselves.
Zarn - Duckies (Midnight Ocean) - Founder of Sea Dragons and Sea of Fire (Cobalt Ocean)
Altiam - Sweet Pillage and Mayhem (Cobalt Ocean)
[Mar 1, 2004 11:05:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rrzarn    rrzarn [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Zarn wrote: 
I would disagree on there being no trading. The business of commoditity trading can be quite active. Granted the self contained structure of most flags discourages nearly all trading between shops, however with foraging and markets, there is still quite some pontential to see some profit in trading. As for iron, most mongers have lowered buy prices to the point where it's no longer worth the time to supply them with iron. Why bother going to a market (the easiest source for mass quantities), risk your poe on route, buy it up, then come back and sale it for at most less than a 2% profit in many cases.

Buy iron at 9 at Byrne. Sell at 12 at Turtle. That's a 33% profit (or so, counting rum usage). Sure, it was nice when it was over 150% profit (buy at 9, sell at 25), but that was during the shortage. Even buy at 9, sell at 10 is 10% profit (still counting the small amount of rum usage).

Only to have to spend tons of poe on cannon balls that a month ago were nearly 50% cheaper.

This is true, but presumably irrelevant to a trader, who should be fleeing, not fighting.
[Mar 2, 2004 1:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Either way, a sloop only holds about 1750 iron at max so you can see where a 1 or 2 poe profit per becomes a total waste of time in most cases.

Don't be greedy, mate. A solo pillager considers 1750 poe in the booty chest at the end of one run to be exceptionally good. 3500 is almost-unheard-of. It's true that you have higher risk, but you also have higher reward.

As long as they keep their buy prices in teh "we'll get it ourself to make our products cheaper range"... I say let them get it themselves.

Common thought, and a good one. I only supply flag shops when we're in a crunch, and I never go out of my way to buy a ton of iron for anyone outside the flag. Often not worth it.

atteSmythe,
whose 1750-3500 comment above is for one-island-away runs, obviously

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 2, 2004 2:55:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

Actually, if I could load up 1750 iron and trade it, I'd probably do it whenever I could, solo. Even if it was an arch away, it'd take me ten fights to make that much, and on the days I feel less than social, I'd rather take the relaxing long trip (with maybe one or two fights) than the solo pillage.

It's moot, though, since I can't go sail somewhere and pick up 1750 iron. I'd rather take the ten fights than the time and boredom it takes to load that up.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Mar 2, 2004 3:25:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Zarn

You've hit on a good point.

Don't be greedy, mate. A solo pillager considers 1750 poe in the booty chest at the end of one run to be exceptionally good. 3500 is almost-unheard-of. It's true that you have higher risk, but you also have higher reward.

Trading, as Muffy suggested, is not pillaging. With the excpetions of doing one way pillages with return trade trips. When carrying a 17K load of poe most people won't pillage. So one means of coming out better is gone. In addition I thought there was some good gaming etiquette in jobbing people so they are stuck on the docks all day. So... how are they to be paid from 1750 poe for a round trip with at least a day of camping in between? For that matter there is always the risk of "the lucky Brigands" which can catch you especially between Alpha and Byrne and make one of their "psychic" battle nav moves and end up taking over 1600 poe in one shot.

As to greed? Let's take a direct tie in, cannon balls. What's the markup on cannon balls sold even at only 30 each which is unheard of now? Now let's look at the risks... Is the shoppe risking losing all profit if one case of bad luck happens? No... I don't think so. Can they still pay the people in their employ without worrying about losing profit? Of course.

Even though I suggested 13 to 15 was more fair you both jumped on the old bandwagon of prices not being in the mid to high 20's again apparently trying to confuse the subject. I think prices even near 20 are rediculously high but likwise with the average selling price of iron being 10 the drops to 11 and 12 buys is too low.

Perhaps the solution is as simple as letting other have shoppes to make better use of iron supplies and help get control of the cannon prices... but for now... with a few exceptions, iron trading should be left to the shoppe owners and their crews as traders can find more reasonable profits elsewhere.
Zarn - Duckies (Midnight Ocean) - Founder of Sea Dragons and Sea of Fire (Cobalt Ocean)
Altiam - Sweet Pillage and Mayhem (Cobalt Ocean)
[Mar 2, 2004 3:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rrzarn    rrzarn [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates