• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 835 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
joedigriz

Java takes up all CPU Reply to this Post

Anyone seen the following? It's happened to me a couple of times in the past few weeks.

The client will be working mostly okay, maybe a few "skips" here and there, and then suddenly everything will get... real... slow.... and.... laggy.....

within a minute or two, the mouse pointer is barely moving, any clicks don't register, typiung doesn't register, etc. And if parts of the screen have to update at all, the windows ends up having some fraction of the main window start repeating itself everywhere. (This latter part includes the side frames and mini-map.) I attempted a /bug each time, but I kinda doubt it actually went through properly, since I have no idea if it was accepting any type of key input.

I pull up Windows Task Manager (Win2K), and the javaw.exe process is taking up 95-100% of the idle CPU. (Still only about 100Megs of memory, though.) Rest of the system seems to be mostly fine, except on the odd occassion that the javaw process refuses to give up even a tiny bit of CPU usage. I've been letting this latest crash run, instead of killing and restarting the client, to see if it fixes itself. So far, no, although it just gave me a blue screen in the window (after 6 or 7 minutes). Nothing I can actually interact with.
----------------------------------------
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Feb 29, 2004 2:41:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Sorahn

Re: Java takes up all CPU Reply to this Post

ive had that happen, but i think mine is related to my forced maximized screen resolution, it also happens if ive been on for a long time and i try to pull up the full screen chat so i can copy some text
[Feb 29, 2004 3:14:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

See what happens if you drop the priority on Javaw.exe.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Feb 29, 2004 3:49:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Thunderbird wrote: 
See what happens if you drop the priority on Javaw.exe.

You can do that in Windows?
[Feb 29, 2004 10:34:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Yes, you can. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but...

ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task list. Look for task javaw.exe. Right click, set priority.

The CPU-hogging thing used to happen to me when the sound system died, before the latest update. The bit about it skipping before it dies completely is also completely consistent with what I saw, only it looks like you have a graphics-related problem, rather than a sound-related problem.

IANAD, but things I'd do/did with my sound problem:
/bug it before it dies completely, when it's skipping. Peghead's extra logging may catch something, assuming he is logging thread interactions.

Turn down or disable your graphics acceleration. (Right click desktop, Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshooting)

Check your DirectX version, and update to the latest if you haven't already (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 1, 2004 3:23:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

atteSmythe wrote: 
The CPU-hogging thing used to happen to me when the sound system died, before the latest update. The bit about it skipping before it dies completely is also completely consistent with what I saw, only it looks like you have a graphics-related problem, rather than a sound-related problem.

Interestingly enough, this has only happened with the latest version... the one with all of the sound debugging in it. I'm wondering if there might be a correlation somewhere.

IANAD, but things I'd do/did with my sound problem:
/bug it before it dies completely, when it's skipping. Peghead's extra logging may catch something, assuming he is logging thread interactions.

Noted for future reference. It's only happened twice so far, and tends (until it breaks) to be indistinguishable from lag, so I'll have to keep a careful eye on it. Don't want to go flooding the devs with tons of non-bug reports.

Turn down or disable your graphics acceleration.

Heh. I'm running with a GeForce2 MX400. There *is* no graphics acceleration. ;) [decides to check PriceWatch for videocards again]

Check your DirectX version, and update to the latest if you haven't already

Been at the latest for a while. I tend to keep the machine pretty up-to-date in that aspect. (Same with video drivers, etc.)
[Mar 1, 2004 10:53:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

joedigriz wrote: 

Turn down or disable your graphics acceleration.

Heh. I'm running with a GeForce2 MX400. There *is* no graphics acceleration. ;) [decides to check PriceWatch for videocards again]

Check your DirectX version, and update to the latest if you haven't already

Been at the latest for a while. I tend to keep the machine pretty up-to-date in that aspect. (Same with video drivers, etc.)

That could be your problem - old video card + new drivers & directx might just = instability. Disabling the video accelleration that Windows still thinks you have because the feature bits are set that way in your drivers from Nvidia just might do the trick.

Then again, if it's only happened twice, it might appear to do the trick, while in fact doing nothing.

atteSmythe,
considering a day of nonsequiter taglines. Hmmm..

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Mar 2, 2004 5:29:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates