• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3679 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
frogkissed11

Penny Arcade mention.. Reply to this Post

Puzzle Quest fever has apparently seized the fucking the reins here at headquarters This probably the last you'll hear of it, purely out of politeness - but the game is a feast for the spirit.

I had big plans for last night, plans that were utterly dashed by puzzle heroics. Though my mind was still very much prepared to shift and match gems - even the world appeared to shimmer with unrealized symmetries - I decided that, for the sake of my host body, I ought to holster the DS and begin a rest cycle. Not fifteen minutes later, I had retrieved said DS and was now playing it in the dark.

I talked to a friend of mine who was trying to obtain the game yesterday, in the frigid Northlands which men call Canadon. She told me that the EB she'd gone to had just boxed up their copies and sent them back to corporate. The game shipped on the twentieth, and was available for purchase on the twenty-first. This means that the local shop carried the game for a total of five days before it was considered a failure. As gamers, we often lay blame for the sometimes staid and timid selection on the retail shelf at the feet of publishers. I wonder if they actually have a choice.

The single player "campaign" mode of Puzzle Quest, with its gameplay variants for capturing monsters, crafting items, researching spells, and other magickal endeavors, is as good a friend as you can have for your portable system. You need never enter the campaign, if you so choose - you can always simply play a random battle, hoarding the earned gold and experience. The competitive mode certainly has a luck component - we are talking about a genetic descendant of Bejeweled, after all - but the abilities, equipment, and skill loadouts layered over it do much to rein in that chaotic force. They seem to be gesturing at the broad outline of a vast genre here, one whose sensual contours entice.

That thought has been whirling in the back of my mind all day, at a tremendous rate. I don't know if I could withstand a Three Rings entry into this conceptual space - a portable, single or multiplayer Puzzle Pirates experience would be welcome - if it were not so dangerous. It would disrupt productivity the way that halon fire suppression systems once interfered with combustion, before they were determined to be an ecological hazard. That's a labored analogy; I should probably work on that one.

Three Rings, though, and pocket piracy? Yes.

(CW)TB out.
----------------------------------------
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Mar 28, 2007 2:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Re: Penny Arcade mention.. Reply to this Post

I actually didn't like the way Puzzle Quest was set up. It was fun, yes, but it was rather.. Difficult at the same time.

There seemed to be some imbalance issues with some parts of it. Though on a DS Lite it would be incredibly fun.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Mar 28, 2007 6:39:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

I don't know how much capital would be required to develop a DS version of Puzzle Pirates, but I wish I had that much, because DS Puzzle Pirates would be totally awesome.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Mar 28, 2007 10:46:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Remalle

I don't know how much capital would be required to develop a DS version of Puzzle Pirates, but I wish I had that much, because DS Puzzle Pirates would be totally awesome.
Swordfighting with a stylus = awesome.
[Mar 28, 2007 11:28:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheZeekyWord

I'd die to see Puzzle Pirates (single player) ported to the Wii. Swordfighting with a Wiimote? Better than your puny stylus. Perhaps there would be a special gift like there was with the single player computer version?
cannedfood sez

I am pissed at the practice of pointless, perpetual persecution of people posting in piritical parley and politics.

[Mar 28, 2007 12:59:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Well, thinking about it, YPP COULD be ported to a system, it just wouldn't be the same multiplayer game. It could be, but I think that with the right planning, even single player missions would be awesome.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Mar 28, 2007 1:50:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

I did hear that the AI is uber tough. Is this true?
[Mar 28, 2007 2:32:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I did hear that the AI is uber tough. Is this true?

Yes. Insanely so, I think it'd be better, but while playing the demo, I noticed that every time you win some money (to buy better weapons/armor, etc), the stuff that you could then buy was no longer purchasable, and new, more expensive, stuff was put there.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Mar 28, 2007 4:50:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Example:

The part where I basically quit (When I couldn't level and get better spells/stats) was where the monster (a zombie) would "eat skulls" (An item on the board), and gain like some stupid amount of power, then use another insane spell that took a chunk off your mana (So you couldn't cast spells).

The premise for the game is fun. It's just horribly unbalanced. Basically it's bejeweled, but there are 4 colors, (red, blue, green and yellow) that gives you mana, coins for gold, purple stars for exp, and skulls that damage your opponent. As you clear rows of 3 items, you gain a certain amount of that item. It was fun until I realized that I couldn't ever buy new armor (You have a certain % of a chance to reduce damage, or increase damage for weapons, etc).

As you go, you trade turns, and it gets bad when the opponent gets all the good combos (4 in a row gives you an extra turn, etc).
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Mar 28, 2007 4:56:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates