• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3848 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Jothmar

Voice Channels and Buildings Reply to this Post

I would like to see having different channels useful in buildings as follows:

Speak: Just heard in circle
Room: Heard by everyone in the room
Shout: Heard by everyone in the building, including in different rooms

default would be room of course but I think having some choices in this would be great.
----------------------------------------
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Feb 20, 2004 2:57:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Voice Channels and Buildings Reply to this Post

Jothmar wrote: 
I would like to see having different channels useful in buildings

But would they be?
[Feb 20, 2004 3:01:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

lol thats great Nemo. . .

I think they would be anyway. I often don't want to bother everyone in a room with my discussion with the people in my circle and I would certainly change my default to speak while in a circle. Generally my crew gets in a circle and crew chats so that we aren't talking to the world. So at least my crew would use it. . . :)

As for shout, while I was running a tourny at a palace I remember thinking that being able to make everyone in the building would have been useful.
[Feb 20, 2004 3:03:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Aye. Having buildings be analagous to ships has always been seductively symmetrical to me.

atteSmythe,
mastering the art of Zen Forum

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 20, 2004 3:13:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Squid votes AYE! Reply to this Post

I think this would be nifty, too.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Feb 20, 2004 3:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

didn't think to look in that thread for speaking changes! :) Aye I like that idea alot as well.
[Feb 20, 2004 3:33:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Oh, and this was brought up a while back (and I mean something like 6 months, so I'm too lazy to drag out the thread)

But during tourneys and weddings it's a pain in the butt to get everyone in a palace with everyone in chat circles. Considering right now everyone in the room can hear you anyway, if there's any way of killing chat circles inside buildings, that'd be nice.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Feb 20, 2004 4:13:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Well, there can only be one or the other. Chat circles and a "room" chat, or no chat circles.
I like chat circles, regardless of some of the crowding indoors, so I'd be sad to see them tossed.
[Feb 20, 2004 4:33:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Concentric chat circles!

atteSmythe,
who never would have thought to search for 'huddle' to find that post

[Feb 20, 2004 4:42:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Nemo wrote: 
Well, there can only be one or the other. Chat circles and a "room" chat, or no chat circles.

Even though it isn't a poll, I vote for the former. Makes it more consistent with ships (I like things that are consistent), and as Squid pointed out, makes sense for drinking and swordfighting events. Less overall "noise".
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Feb 20, 2004 4:58:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

While chat circles can get in the way of getting alot of people into one room I still like them alot, it makes me fell like I'm actually talking with the person instead of stareing off into nothing letting my mouth just move. . . I"m not much for RP in this game but I do always try to face the people I'm talking with and be in close proximity with them. It can be a pain some time in small areas but I'll keep wandering around until I'm in the place I want. . . I would very much not like the chat circles to go away. . .
[Feb 20, 2004 5:32:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Thought of another voice channel that I would like to have. /vo vessel officer, lots of time I want to talk just to the officer on the vessel I'm on and then everyone wants to know whats going on. . . /vfo would be good to but. . . that would be of considerably less use generally I would think.
[Feb 20, 2004 12:09:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

I don't know- if there's only one other officers tells would work.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Feb 20, 2004 12:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Almost my entire (active) crew are officers so if theres anyone in the crew to talk to its usually an officer. Obviously not a big deal though.
[Feb 20, 2004 1:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

i was thinking, to avoid the issues that cropped up with chat circles in vessels there could be a whisper /comand that only people in your chat circle could hear.

i like seeing the talky bubles when your in buildings...
Glub (again)
[Feb 21, 2004 12:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Slummock wrote: 
i was thinking, to avoid the issues that cropped up with chat circles in vessels there could be a whisper /comand that only people in your chat circle could hear.

You can use /speak for that. Or did you have something different in mind?

atteSmythe,
who likes getting word bubbles on boats!

[Feb 21, 2004 1:01:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

i mean when your in a room, the default is speak and i don't like the idea of a "room" channel. don't seem right.

[edited becaus i forgot the point] so whisper would work like speak on vessels.
Glub (again)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Slummock at Feb 21, 2004 1:10:25 AM]
[Feb 21, 2004 1:10:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

It actually feels neat. A room channel might make some sense, with /speak for some circles, and /shout for every room in the building.

Yeah, sure. Go for it.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Feb 21, 2004 1:13:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Tee_Beard wrote: 
It actually feels neat. A room channel might make some sense, with /speak for some circles, and /shout for every room in the building.

Yeah, sure. Go for it.

well, whatever. having shout work for the whole building would definately be good. especially if the shout bubble came from the room exit.

that'd make me laugh.

[size=9]edited spelling....
Glub (again)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Slummock at Feb 21, 2004 1:59:14 AM]
[Feb 21, 2004 1:59:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

well, whatever. having shout work for the whole building would definately be good. esspecialy if the shout bubble came from the room exit.

that'd make me laugh.

Genius!
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 22, 2004 5:14:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

And there's the role playing aspect -- imagine a Loud Howard type that cannot use anything smaller than room chat.

Oh, did I just kill this idea? :-)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 15, 2004 1:22:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Alright, falkston pointed me to this thread.

Proposed chat reform:

The current commands:
	Shop	House	Ship	Island
Circle say say
Scene say say
Whole vessel shout

Note that for islands, shout and say go to different people, but I believe they are the same people for all other cases.

How about some nice, uniform extensions --
/circle Send to the current chat circle only
/scene Send to the current scene/room only
/whole The whole ship, or the whole house, or for an island govenor, an island broadcast.

For /shout, perhaps make it scene for islands, whole for everything else, and the same large fonts/lightning wiggle bubble we're used to.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 20, 2005 4:14:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates