• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1913 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
SeattleBrian

[Sug] Mute Jobbers Reply to this Post

I have seen much trouble on Grand Frigates with many people talking. It seems to cause those with dial-up connections to have problems. What if you had a setting in options to mute all jobbers? Of course if the client still downloads muted talk, then this would be pointless.
[Feb 14, 2004 11:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Re: [Sug] Mute Jobbers Reply to this Post

This has been suggested a few times before.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=840&highlight=list
----------------------------------------
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Feb 14, 2004 11:59:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

And it's not even proved (at least to my mind, and I'm on dial-up) that excessive talking makes people hang. An extra 2 people being d/ced when everyone's chatting away, where another 9 already disconnected, isn't that significant.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Feb 15, 2004 2:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvengingFox

HAHAHAHA That title made me laugh the first time I saw it. It's actually a rather good idea, I have dial-up and sometimes, when there's more greenies on Grand Frigs, they DO make me lag a little. It's rather strange, but sometimes it would come in handy just to shut up some of the more arrogant greenies xD
Battosai
Anata wa baka desu.
ph33l d4 l33t.
[Feb 20, 2004 6:52:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

It seems useless to me. From my point of view if jobbers talk when they shouldn't and are told not to time and time again, well, that's why we were gifted witht he wonder that is /plank.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Feb 20, 2004 10:52:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

im pretty sure it would effect things. i'm not on dial up and someone spamming the inn caused the sword fight i was in to go jerky.

said it before, and i'll say it again: i loves th' mute button

if you mute the main culprits then that should reduce it enough. its usualy just a few
Glub (again)
[Feb 20, 2004 11:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Poseidon
OceanMaster

I would like to take the opportunity to bury an urban myth:
Talking before swordfighting starts in a Sea Battle does not lag people out!

I was out pillaging with Madeline and her fine crew of some 60-70 pirates on a Grand Frigate tonight.

During each Sea Battle just before the swordfight would start people would be urged not to talk in a very strict manner, but it's 60-70 people so there would almost always be atleast one person talking. Every time atleast 2 people would always be eliminated before the swordfighting started (and often the same ones). And every time people would be yelled at for talking. Once there was actually no talking at all and 5 people were still eliminated.

Now this was getting a bit out of hand and it was giving a negative atmosphere, so I decided to make a spam test. During the next sea battle I urged everyone to spam as much as they could right before the swordfighting, and they were as spammy as I remember the last 10 seconds on Azure for those who remember (hundreds of lines of text in a few seconds). And still only two people got eliminated.
So no text and 5 people get eliminated. Tons and tons of text and 2 people get eliminated. Talking does not lag you out before a swordfight!

So I would like to encourage Officers to accept and even be happy that people are enthusiastic and cry out "Huzzah!" or "Let's plunder this one mateys!!" etc. instead of being too negative. It's all about having fun!

Talking during the swordfight is another matter ofcourse, pirates should keep the chat free if told by Officers that want to call targets. It can be quite important to the outcome of the battle. If you must you can explain why you were eliminated after the battle.
[Feb 20, 2004 3:06:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ParaTara

Poseidon wrote: 
Talking does not lag you out before a swordfight!

however, I thought i was going to have a seizure :>
Madeline
Captain of Six Leagues Under
[Feb 20, 2004 3:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

Then maybe it is just an issue of dial-ups, or slow connections with large manned ships. Perhaps the timeout should be based on how many people are on the ship, so dialup users have more time to get their sword fight started. Or perhaps a 1 for 1 loss. If one of your crew gets disconnected before battle even starts, then one of the brigand crew gets tossed out. This of course would not apply to player vs. player battles, and possibly not even when you are the attacker.
[Feb 20, 2004 5:12:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Or maybe it's the people's computer itself...not enough RAM maybe? I've noticd if I have two clients open at the same time, it can be awfully hard to change the screen (no matter what it is I'm doing). If I have both characters moving to different areas, it can take quite a bit of time for both to come up.
Hermit Smurrf
[Feb 20, 2004 9:59:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlopatin

Smurrf... you might be on to something...

I have a gig of DDR RAM. and I rarely have lag issues... even with 9 clients open at once.

don't ask about that one. it's not worth explaining. hehe.
Barrghnaby
formerly,Captain of The Sea Hounds
now deceased...
[Feb 20, 2004 11:41:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

I wonder if this is actually a server issue -- if the client/server pair need an "I'm alive" acknowledgement within a certain period of time, and if there are a ton of these within a small time window, they simply can't be processed quickly enough. (Or similarly, on the client end, if it needs a ton of acks.)
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Feb 21, 2004 12:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

I've got 512 megs of RAM... but only a 600 MHz processor. I find I lag a lot, especially when switching scenes. It also probably doesn't help that I tend to run a lot of programs at once. I tend to get fairly regular client booches.

(But I've stopped listening to streaming internet radio while playing, which seems to have helped... a bit.)
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Feb 21, 2004 12:17:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I'm particularly pleased to see this piratey myth debunked. It's easy to turn a fun pillage into a bore by yelling at people, and there's hard feelings all around when each side thinks the other is wrong by being rude.

Yay for big-ship pillage!

atteSmythe,
who wubs his big ships

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 21, 2004 12:48:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

It's when people walk that I lag out in fights (not sea battle)
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Feb 21, 2004 1:51:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Bump!

In blockades where voice chat is not used (or crashes, it can happen), so that Navs who are concentrating on the board but also need to check chat regularly, it would be highly desirable to mute jobbers.

To get maximum bang per poe, I'd actually suggest a more general "/concentrate" command, which works while at a station (or in any puzzle or game, for that matter). It automatically goes off when you leave the station/puzzle for any reason.

For officers of the crew which owns the boat, "concentrating" temporarily semi-mutes both /crew and /vessel channels, unless they are shouted by a fellow officer (e.g. an XO in a blockade).

For jobbers aboard a ship, the same channels are semi-muted. Officers aboard will still be heard, even if not shouting, as will officers of the jobbing crew if shouting across /crew.

In (sea battle) brawls, it removes "X was knocked out" messages.

In any other situation, the local chat is muted for up to 10 minutes.

In all circumstances direct /tells and /o, /fo, /royalty, broadcasts, etc, still get through.

Although the client doesn't display any of these "semi-muted" messages as they arrive, they are still sent to the chat log, both scrollback and on file.

When the player leaves their station/puzzle/game, they get a standard message "There are chat messages which you ignored while concentrating. Scroll up if you want to read them now." (If the client has, in fact, had to filter out anything).

The problem with excess jobber chat isn't that it lags you out so much as that it is harder to see the stuff you need to.
[Apr 29, 2007 12:57:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates