• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10902 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Shanghai Points Reply to this Post

In this latest release we've added a small way to recognise crews for fostering new Pirates. When a Pirate in yer crew signs up as a subscriber or first buys doubloons for $, yer crew gets a Shanghai point; these can be viewed by Senior Officers and the Captain on yer crew page.

Shanghais may be 'spent' by contacting your local OM. The Captain should do this or give another crewmember permission by talking to the OM who is doing the change. Shanghai prices to rename ships are as follows;

- 2 for a sloop rename
- 3 for a cutter rename
- 5 for a merchant brig or a war brig rename
- 7 for galleon rename
- 8 for a war frigate rename
- 10 for a grand frigate rename

Adjective + Fishname
Naming standard is "Adjective Fishname" (ie. Happy Trout, check Dictionary.com if you are unsure, see if they list it as an adjective!)

Actual Fish name
Fishname must be an actual fish, and a link provided to prove it if asked. There's a wonderful dictionary of fish names if you are stumped or need to prove that Mosquito really *is* a fish name. That said, not all fish names in the database will be accepted as such; some names may carry other associations that make them unacceptable or double price as discussed below. Additionally fishnames must be from countries that speak English as their primary language and are in the vernacular.

Correct spelling
Correct spelling of both adjective and fish name is required so players can use the /vwho command easily. Also no unreasonably long or difficult adjectives or fish names please.

No vanity renames
We will not rename ships after pirates. No, not even for double cost.

No duplicate names
Even if the shipyards will sometimes make duplicate names, we will not.

Half cost for half renames
If you want to change only the adjective or the fish name of a ship name you only pay half the cost (rounded up for odd numbers).

Double up or Nothing
All non standard names will be either double the cost or not acceptable, including non-standard half renames.
Non standard names still have to have to be reasonable to spell, within the YPP universe and non offensive.

Whether a name is standard, double cost or not acceptable is at the OMs or Devs discretion. Please respect the answer you get; do not argue it with the Oceanmaster, and don't "shop" around.

In future we'll think of some more uses for Shanghais, any suggestions are welcome. There is a discussion thread in game design for debate and ideas.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Feb 10, 2004 8:16:41 AM]
[Feb 10, 2004 8:16:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Re: Shanghai Points Reply to this Post

We can now rename crews -- for a price, in shanghais! Arr!

- 2 shanghais for a new name
- 1 shanghai for a small change in the current name
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
pencilcounte

What is the current number of shanghai porints for each of the ships now and when did they get rid of half name renames for half the points? I recently changed the name of a W Brig and it cost 4 points and when a crew member tried to just change one name of a sloop, we were told that it would cost 2 points because the half rename was no longer used at half points.
[Aug 10, 2006 3:39:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

It's fun to see posts by Cleaver in Davy Jones' Locker (aka The Garbage Can).

Current shanghai rules are located here.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 10, 2006 3:58:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pinkythepink

The link says I don't have enough permissions. :(
Amelia of the Cerulean Ocean

(My Etsy)
(My deviantART)
[Dec 6, 2008 11:09:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pinkythepink.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Swordblade01

Mind the Two Year bump.
Swordblade on Cobalt

"Think of it like a Twinkie. If you bite into the yellow part of a Twinkie and there is no white cream filling, it SUCKS!" -Ryan Higa

Dispite my forum join date, I joined aug 25 05
[Dec 7, 2008 8:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/demonsatdusk [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

pinkythepink wrote: 
The link says I don't have enough permissions. :(

The following link is much more up to date:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Official:Services

Faulkston,
:-)
[Dec 7, 2008 10:18:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates