• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10363 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
mcpirate1978

Memorize Midnight 2007

Avast there, and such! It's time to dust off your sextants and hit the high seas! It's time to explore the corners of Midnight! Besides, if you memorize the entire ocean, ye can hold a fancy globe in yer portaits! Harr!

It's been a while since we've had a memming event and, continuing what Rexelita did a half a year ago, we're organizing another Midnight memorization event. Volunteers will be available from the evening (in pirate time) of Thursday, March 15th through Thursday of March 29th to chart ye from and to anywhere ye'd like to go!

Just as Rexie did with the last event, we'll be running this event over the course of a couple weeks, so there's no pressure to be online at a certain time. Just join us whenever yer heart desires and never have to buy a chart, again! Any time during the event window, join us in the crew "Mesmerized Memmers" and see who's online and available to chart your route.

"Loaner" Sloops

While you're welcome to use your very own sloops for your memming, we'll have sloops in all of the archs of Midnight that you're free to use. Just be sure to restock it when you're done. We may not have a sloop at every island, but rest assured there will be one nearby. No need to haul your ship halfway across the ocean to finish off a pesky route.

List of Volunteer Charters

The following folks have graciously volunteered as Guest Charters:

If you'd like to volunteer, please post here and let me know how much of the ocean ye have memorized. Keep in mind that volunteer charters will be asked to join the crew as Officers. As a volunteer charter, you'll be asked to hop onto ships and chart routes for folks. You're welcome to stay on board and help sail or what-have-you, but it is not required. And there's no requirement that you be on at a given time. Just join us when you can and lend a hand.

And don't forget that participants can also double as guest charters. Just because you don't have the entire ocean memorized doesn't mean you can't still help chart the routes you do have memorized.

The following sections stolen squarely from Rexie's last event:

Thread Table of Contents
"What's Memorizing?"
"Sounds like fun! How do I participate?"
"Once I'm in, how do I get charted?"
"How can I get the most out of this cool event?" (aka Tips & Tricks)
"Anything else I need to know?" (aka Please Be Nice)

"What's Memorizing?"
Bit of background info, first. To sail a ship anywhere, ye need a chart. Charts show ye the location of the league points (little dots between islands) ye need to travel to get to the island ye wish to go. But over time, charts age and need to be replaced. Charts are obtained by purchasing them at shipyards or by pillaging them at sea. Shipyards only sell charts from colonized islands within an archipelago. Charts which carry ye to other archipelagos (called interarchs) and charts leading from uncolonized islands can only be pillaged at sea. When ye pillage at sea, ye never know what sort of chart ye'll win. Could be one ye already have and don't need or it could be the one ye've been lookin' fer.

But imagine ye don't need a chart. Imagine ye can go anywhere, anytime ye wished without needing to buy a chart or asking someone who does. Ye can participate in sailing competitions that take ye all over the ocean without worrying ye'll get stuck somewhere. That's what memming does fer ye!

So again, what is memorizing? If a chart is in yer possession, the league points are blue. If a chart is on the ship, those points are purple. If a league point is in yer pirate's permanent memory, it's brown. To turn a league point brown, ye must sail over that league point many times while doing "Fine" or better in the duty navigation puzzle. Doing better than "Fine" does not improve the probability of memming it (so no, pulling Incredibles all night long will not shorten the time ye need to mem). It's generally accepted that ye need 2-7 passes to make a point permanent. My experience is that it takes about 5. The actual number of times ye must pass a point is random. Every once in awhile, ye find a really stubborn point that takes dozens of passes. But once ye have it, it is there forever and memorizing can be a very rewarding experience.

"Sounds like fun! How do I participate?"
Ye'll need to provide yer own ship, jobbers, and supplies fer this event. A loaner sloop may be available, but ye'll still need to provide yer own supplies.
To participate ye have two possible options.
1. Become an Honorary Officer!
Ye'll need to join Mesmerized Memmers and be made an Honorary Officer fer the event. Be sure to clear it with yer captain before ye leave yer crew, and with yer flag if yer titled. This is the best option because a charter can simply hop aboard and chart ye without trading the vessel deed. Ye can remain in the nav puzzle and keep yer sails full without interruption (called Power Memming!).
Ye can kick it up a notch by bringing a friend along to help sail while ye mem - this gets ye up to speed quicker when ye start and turn about to dodge brigands.
2. Sign up as a Jobbed Memmer.
This option is only available to royals and captains, if requested. Ye will need to leave the navigation puzzle to mem if yer going solo, but it can be done effectively if timed properly. Having a partner to help ye on the ship (sailing, maybe trading the deed instead so ye stay at max nav) would really help with this method.

About Jobbed Memmers
Jobbed Memmers must be limited because it slows things down considerably fer mates to keep trading deeds every time they want to be charted. Therefore, out of consideration to the volunteers and participants, only royals and captains will be granted Jobbed Memmer status, if requested. Please respect that the charter(s) on duty may ask ye wait an hour or more before ye can comfortably be accommodated as Jobbed Memmer.
If yer a Jobbed Memmer, be sure to have yer deed and destination ready. Please keep yer pirate ready to trade the deed back. Much delay comes from pirates who sit and look at the charted route instead of trading back the deed so the charter can move on to the next pirate. Also, the longer everyone waits at a league point to be charted, the more bilge and carp rise, while sails and nav drop.

"Once I'm in, how do I get charted?"
First, since this event will take place over a much longer time period, check to make sure that charters are on-duty and not out pillaging or docktarting or pokering. Then, call out over /crew yer ship name and destination. This lets the on-duty charters know what ye need and the appropriate charter who can cover that route will board yer vessel. Once the charter is on board, ye can request a custom route if ye need one.
Janebob crew chats, "Aggressive Sunfish, Guava to Cnossos."
Yer charter will quickly board yer ship, chart ye, leave, ye rehire the lost bot, and away ye go! Yer sails and nav (hopefully full!) should stay intact.

"How can I get the most out of this cool event?"
* If yer looking fer advice on what to mem during this exciting event, I'd recommend getting all those pesky interarchs first: Oyster-Park (Diamond-Coral), Cnossos-Guava (Diamond-Emerald), Turtle-Jorvik (Diamond-Ruby), Papaya-Remora (Diamond-Sapphire), Byrne-Remora (Diamond-Sapphire), Monsoon-Chaparral (Coral-Jet), Heph's Forge-Spring (Jet-Emerald), Tinga-Orca (Emerald-Opal), Wrasse-Ostreum (Emerald-Pearl), Nuptial-Luthien (Pearl-Ruby). After that, go fer the routes which ye travel the most.
* If ye post yer known world and link a charter to it, it can be visually referenced and it will be much easier to chart the points ye don't have yet.
* Ye might want to tagteam fer this event. If ye have another hearty who likes to mem, ye could mem different routes during the event and chart each other later.

Please note, training and dead points are not mem-able.

"Anything else I need to know?"
Do not request charting until you are stopped at a league point and are free of brigand activity. Charters are not to be used fer sea battles. To request a charter right before a battle or possible battle is rude and is grounds fer event dismissal. Please make sure the water is clear before requesting a charter aboard yer vessel.

That's it, mates! Join us and have a blast while exploring Midnight!
----------------------------------------
Fullbeard
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Poseidon at Feb 27, 2007 9:05:27 PM]
[Feb 27, 2007 9:43:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Re: Memorize Midnight 2007

Sign me up as a guest charter Fullbeard. I have everything memmed.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Feb 27, 2007 9:47:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

Sign me up :) I'm captain and royal so I'll be a jobbing memmer but can also chart people as I can- I've got roughly half the ocean memmed :)
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Feb 27, 2007 10:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

I volunteer to guest chart. I have everything memmed (except the extinct routes).

-- Feylind
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Feb 27, 2007 10:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

I volunteer to guest chart. I have everything memmed (except the extinct routes).

Unfortunately, the extinct routes are no longer memorizable, so you've really got everything you can get.

Thanks to the folks volunteering. I'll be keeping the list in the original post up to date.
Fullbeard
[Feb 27, 2007 10:32:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Fullbeard wrote: 
Fey wrote: 

Unfortunately, the extinct routes are no longer memorizable, so you've really got everything you can get.

I know. I was just being excessively accurate. :-) Thanks for running this. I finished th ocean at Rexe's last event; it's nice to be able to return the favor and chart for others.

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Feb 27, 2007 10:45:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Argemone

I volunteer - I have everything memmed.
Ligeia (Ly-Gee-Ah), Midnight Cerulean
Going Down,
Universe A
[Feb 27, 2007 12:26:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daleenmarine

I volunteer to chart. I've got everything.
On a side note, I'm always happy to chart memmers. Feel free to poke me if you're unable to make it to the event, want to get a head start or end up with a few pesky routes unmemmed after the event.
HuskerMike wrote: 
It feels like you're on a jihad against me.

Antix wrote: 
And if he turns out to be an innocent lets not remember that fact at all.

[Feb 27, 2007 12:49:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Loved this event when Rexe did it...but I do have a reminder for both charters and memmers. Check the routes you need in advance and make sure the charter gives ye the right one. I spent two hours trying to mem Iris - Uxmal before Rexe and I realized that she'd been charting one point wrong (dead route point) for me.

Good luck with this!

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Feb 27, 2007 12:55:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Under the category of stupid questions 101, is there a way to tell after charting whether or not you've got the league points that you're charted through memmed without cancelling the charting?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Feb 27, 2007 12:59:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Argemone

Under the category of stupid questions 101, is there a way to tell after charting whether or not you've got the league points that you're charted through memmed without cancelling the charting?

Drag another chart into the map thingy and it'll zoom to that one putting big blue rings around hte new charts.

Then just go back to the route you've got charted and you can see which points you have.
Ligeia (Ly-Gee-Ah), Midnight Cerulean
Going Down,
Universe A
[Feb 27, 2007 1:17:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Please note that there was a change to the event crew name. We had originally intended to use "Globetrotters" as the crew name showed as being available in game. There is, however, a crew named "The Globe Trotters" and, apparently, the code that checks to see if a name is available considers the two to be the same.

As such, the event crew will be named "Mesmerized Memmers". It has been updates in the original post, as well.

Sorry for the confusion.
Fullbeard
[Feb 27, 2007 9:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Sign me up as a charter.

Since I am a royal and what not, I'll use my alt, AngaraJr.
He has the whole Midnight memmed as well.
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Feb 28, 2007 7:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ms_national

Sign me up as a guest charter. I have the ocean memmed

~Adesh
[Feb 28, 2007 10:34:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thughart1

Volunteers will be available from the evening (in pirate time) of Thursday, March 15th through Thursday of March 29th to chart ye from and to anywhere ye'd like to go!

evening is a pretty broad term, is there a time frame?
by "evening" i am thinking 5'ish but it is a pretty relative term.

oh boy, can't wait to get started....well kinda, I do have half the ocean membed but have some routes I just haven't been able to win the charts for.
Dixy of Midnight
SO and Trainer of Dixyland Skallywags
Council Member of the flag Seraph's Nightmare
[Mar 4, 2007 9:30:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dizzey

Great event, as during Rexelita's one, I was unsubscribed. Any chance of me becoming a jobbed memmer? (as I am a captain and royal)
Kiattia of Midnight
Senior Officer of Shadow Legends
[Mar 5, 2007 9:02:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daynarius

I can help with charting. I've got the whole ocean.
Daynarius
Proud SO of British Bandits on Midnight and avid Daily Doodler
[Mar 5, 2007 2:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Great event, as during Rexelita's one, I was unsubscribed. Any chance of me becoming a jobbed memmer? (as I am a captain and royal)

Of course you can come in as a jobbed memmer. Just keep in mind that it's going to make your life a little more difficult. Any time you want to be recharted, you're going to have to leave your duty station, hand the deed to someone else for charting, and then trade it back. When you go back to your duty station, you're going to have to start from scratch.

However, I certainly realize that leaving a captainship or royalty position simply isn't feasible. So, we do offer the option for folks to come in as jobbed memmers. When you want to come in to do some memming, just see who's online for a jobbing invite.

evening is a pretty broad term, is there a time frame?
by "evening" i am thinking 5'ish but it is a pretty relative term.

There's no real set "start time". Any time on the 15th that you're interested in getting started (or for volunteers to join us), just do a /cwho on our crew (Mesmerized Memmers) and see who's online. The reason I'm starting on a Thursday is that it should give folks a chance to get joined into the crew and be set to go for the weekend.

And to anyone else out there that is considering volunteering, please do! I was hoping to see a few more volunteers to make sure that we've always got folks online. Keep in mind that there's no real committment to be made. Come and go as ye please. If you're only online for an hour or so every couple days, that's just fine. The more people we have, the more fun it is for everyone. So come on out and join us for a good time!
Fullbeard
[Mar 6, 2007 8:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Just a quick note - our latest inventory of "loaner" ships shows that we have 78 sloops scattered about the ocean, ready to be used, with at least 4 in every arch.

Remember that you'll be expected to restock any supplies you use, but you're free to use these loaner vessels. With the distribution we have, you can be guaraneteed that we'll have a ship near any route you want to memorize!
Fullbeard
[Mar 8, 2007 11:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Banpei

I would like to volunteer. I have the whole ocean memmed thanks to the last event like this one, and would love to help others get it.
--Graill on the midnight ocean
Captain of Out for Blood
Prince of Trident
[Mar 8, 2007 7:52:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Don't forget, mates - this event starts in just a couple days, on Thursday, March 15th. I'll personally be online starting around 5 PM Pirate Time, but others in the event crew should be online even before then. When you're ready to join the crew, just do a /cwho on "Mesmerized Memmers" and ask for an invite from whoever is online.

Also, keep in mind that everyone brought into this crew for the event will be made a fleet officer. That means that any ships you bring into the event crew will be available to everyone in the event crew. If you don't mind others using your ships, great. However, if you want your ships left alone, please either move the deeds to an alt character or lock them helms.

And, as always, we can always use more volunteers! The more, the merrier.

Hope to see ye all on Thursday!
Fullbeard
[Mar 13, 2007 7:08:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

yayy can't wait :) You can add Deanyu to the list of guest charter/memmers as well. He's got most done, but I'll be having him on periodically to chart for me if I need him to so he can be around easily if I'm around :)
He'll probably come actively finish memming w/ us on the weekends though :)
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Mar 13, 2007 8:41:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Calamatta

Ahoy, Fullbeard.

Thank you so much for running another wonderful memming event. This year, I'm sure to finish the ocean, thanks to all you lovely lot!

I think this year I'll hand off the crew to ummmm, my almost-identical twin and join yours, for the convenience of the charters.

I do have most of the interarches memmed, as well as many regular routes, so I'll be glad to help chart as needed.

I will gladly lend memming sloops as well. I have sloops in all the arches, I think. It will be quite simple to bring the deeds into your crew for the event, so please chat/pm if you think you can use a few extra sloops here and there.
Calamatta, Captain of Navver's Ed, Midnight and all oceans since
Monarch of Training Wheels Flag
(On Ice: Navver's Ed On Ice flies Training Wheels On Ice)

We was all greenies once. (Or maybe an Azure tint.)
[Mar 13, 2007 5:37:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

We've started! ...kinda

I know it's a little earlier than planned, but some of the folks in the event crew have already been hanging around today and been memorizing things. If you're ready to get started, look up the crew! Charters might be a little sparse while we get going but, as I look right now, there are two folks online that have the entire ocean memmed.

Come join us, mates! Time to get your fancy little globes! :D
Fullbeard
[Mar 15, 2007 10:42:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirFeya

Ahoys! First off thanks for hosting this event.
Alas, it was too late for me as I finished memming the ocean just a day before it started (all routes and everything! even tried memming an extinct point, went over it three times before we realized it XD), but I'm gladly joining you mates to help chart :D I also have a couple sloops stocked that can be used if mates need it.

--Solovei, for the globe!
Solovei//Bloedjager

[Mar 15, 2007 10:36:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I'm not on much, and usually when I am I'm not standing around. However, I might be able to help cover some of those hours that tend to be a little dead. Ligeia is on now, I'll see if she can crew Muroni up so I can help out a bit, soon as I get killed in this rumble tournament =P
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Mar 16, 2007 2:07:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Sasaki

I will be happy to help as well, when I am on (which I freely admit is not very often :)

-Sas
[Mar 17, 2007 7:42:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lizardfriend

I did it! Thanks to all the people in this event, who helped me get those last few routes on my map. Now I've got it all.

(And now I can be a charter for others.)

-LizardFriend
Plunder Inc, Midnight
[Mar 17, 2007 8:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

I did it!

Congratulations, mate! :D
Fullbeard
[Mar 17, 2007 9:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlia

If ye need any help with charting I have almost the entire ocean memmed. Minus one or two spots. Give me a hollar if ye are on!!
Tlia On Midnight
[Mar 18, 2007 10:27:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates