• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1710 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
SeattleBrian

Sug: Private Setting Reply to this Post

How about a private setting for your character that blocks all tells. It could give the person sending a tell a message saying, "Their head is in the mud and they could not hear Ye."
[Feb 8, 2004 6:27:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Re: Sug: Private Setting Reply to this Post

I've wished for the ability to turn entire communication channels (vessel, tell, shout, etc) off in the past. There have been discussions of it, but I don't recall the idea being looked upon very favorably. Alas. :)
[Feb 8, 2004 6:35:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

The most obvious problem is that once someone sets that, unless it automatically resets upon their next login (or something like that), they're likely to forget they turned it on. Then it's almost impossible to contact them ever again, even for urgent business.
----------------------------------------
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Feb 8, 2004 7:09:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

If you are away, you can set an auto-response that can read exactly that, using

/afk or /away <Message>

Turned off by /back, or logging out.

If you want the channel completely turned off, the only way (as it should be) is to mute everybody who could possibly send you a /tell. It's not meant to be a method of communication you can just not listen to. I mean, it's like some sort of magic psychic bond, you can't just shut one of those off :P
[Feb 8, 2004 7:22:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Speaking as someone who is on dialup, and likes to do the big pillage runs with the OM's, blackship attempts, and wedding party runs, It would be oh so very nice if there were a "dialup helper" type button that would silence all of the yapping people you are jobbing with.

Mind you, I don't mean the regular crew member of that crew, because you need to be able to hear them for instructions, but just the jobbers. I don't really mnd muting them but it takes about 5 minutes for me to get all 50 or so of them muted, and it tends to piss off the people paying you to job with them if you are idle for that long.

Then when you left that crew.. the people would no longer be mute.. otherwise, it's like it is now.. I am STILL finding people to unmute from hippie and gnome's wedding.

I realize it most likely won't happen, but it's my two cents.
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Feb 8, 2004 7:48:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Unfortunately, the way it's currently been left is as a social puzzle function.

If the captain can't keep their crew quiet when its necessary, they run the risk of pirates missing orders, and they run the risk of pirates dropping due to lag.

One way around that is make /speak only work on ships if you are actually in a chat circle, in port, or at a league point.

I somehow doubt that talking at my normal volume of voice allows someone below decks to be heard from the crows nest, with high winds, while cannons are firing.

So, make /shout the only way to communicate across the ship while not in a chat circle, and suddenly all the greenies (And as great as many of them are, we all know they are the prime contributer of unnecessary chatter) suddenly can only communicate through /jcrew, and overly chatty pirates, either have to start using /tell which won't lag other's systems, or go into a chat circle, where they still won't lag other's systems.
[Feb 8, 2004 7:56:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Devonin wrote: 
A bunch of good stuff.

I like all of that, it would be as equally effective.

I agree that sometimes the captain should be a little more firm so as to prevent the lag drops, and I detest it when my puzzle screen flickers and freezes randomly due to this lag.

And I must note that when I pillaged with Hades, everyone kept their mouths (or fingers) shut. But I am not sure if it was the threat to /plank or the three headed dog that kept them quiet ;)

But anything to help would be greatly appreciated.
(and my anything I really mean please call comcast and tell them to finish hooking up the lines so I can finally order highspeed cable.)

Will puzzle for wool.
[Feb 8, 2004 8:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
54x

devonin wrote: 
lots of radical changes

Hmmm.

I'd have to say that I don't like the idea of having to put a slash-command in front of my chat just to be heard. Vessel chat is good the way it is for commanders... so perhaps greenies should lose vessel chat, instead? It has the same effect as forcing people to shout, except without forcing us to type /shout.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 8, 2004 9:10:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Lose vessel chat and you lose the good with the bad; gone is the easy banter of a good crew while out on a boat, and we're basically back to solo puzzling again.

Short of muting the annoying ones, I don't think there's a solution here.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Feb 8, 2004 9:48:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

/me nods.

I really think you need to work out a solution with your own flag/crew to avoid the spam. Either that, or join a smaller flag/crew. heheheheh :)
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 8, 2004 10:27:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
baast

cmdrzoom wrote: 
Lose vessel chat and you lose the good with the bad; gone is the easy banter of a good crew while out on a boat, and we're basically back to solo puzzling again.

Short of muting the annoying ones, I don't think there's a solution here.

This is why I suggested a button that would mute all the jobbers and not the actual crew. I was thinking that this button would only be for jobbers as well. That way the operating crew can still hear everyone and it cuts down on the chitterchatter between jobbers, because be they Green, or be they yellow.. they talk a lot!

Will puzzle for wool.
[Feb 8, 2004 10:28:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

/plank is a powerful weapon on boats.

I wouldn't mind a all mute button.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Feb 8, 2004 10:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

If ye get planked for having a decent discussion on a big ship, just come job with us. I'll guarantee it doesn't happen.

atteSmythe,
who likes big ships for the excitement, and the excitement is generated by those aboard

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Feb 8, 2004 10:44:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Making the game enviroment hostile to new players is a surefire way to kill the game :)

/me is with Atte here.
If you're getting annoyed with jobbers, I'll take 'em off your hands ;)
from Midnight.
[Feb 8, 2004 11:34:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
baast

I think you boys are misunderstanding me....

If you note I said large party ships. I am all about the chatter during non battle times, but as I am dialup, I DO lag out if it's a big ship with 100 or so players and everyone keeps chattering...

And as stated it is possibly a captaining problem. But, before you say I am MrHermityNonFriendlyGirl, please note, I have talked to Attesmithe while about ship with him, and am even now jobbing with DiamondBlades's crew now, and they are great.. chatter and all.

I do like the social aspect of the game, but sometimes, it kills me. And when it does, it ususally involves a reboot. And then a redial/reconnect. etc etc.

As for taking all the jobbers, I am a two man crew. 3 if you count my alt. We don't plan on growing because we aren't on enough to grow the crew properly, and our playing times are quite random. It was for this reason we left Innocent in the first place and just stayed in the flag.

If if weren't for jobbers... we wouldn't be near as successful.

I appreciate the friendships and fun that the game brings. I just don't want the hassle of being UNABLE due to my housing location to be on DSL or CABLE to spoil a good time for me because people keep talking during fight time. A button to fix this quickly would be nice.

I am done now. Say what you want.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Feb 8, 2004 11:58:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
danicaeoin

And I must note that when I pillaged with Hades, everyone kept their mouths (or fingers) shut. But I am not sure if it was the threat to /plank or the three headed dog that kept them quiet ;)

Um . . the reason that folks keep their fingers quiet on a Hades pillage is because he is not afraid to use the /plank command . . either for idle pirates or pirates that chatter during battle. If ye kept an eye on yer chat window (as I tend to do) ye'd see that he did /plank several pirates. Of course, he invites them back . . . but the /plank gets the point accross.

Unfortunately I don't think that there's a lot that can be done about generally inconsiderate pirates that wouldn't affect the social aspect of the game as a whole. Some folks just don't get that extraneous chatter during a special event (such as a wedding) is just really bad form.
Danilynna
Wench Extraordinaire
First Mate
Rumour Has It
[Feb 8, 2004 3:55:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    spinakr9 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I'm not arguing against the button, though I have in other threads for different reasons.

First of all, I don't believe that many people lagging on a large ship is due to chat lag. I haven't seen any evidence of this, and without that, I just don't buy it. Do people lag out? Aye. But they lag out whether there's chatter or not.

On the pillage run out to Dora and Potato's wedding, for example, there were ~100 mates on ship. We lost 8 the first battle, 5-6 (iirc) the next. The first battle, there was all sorts of yelling about 'woo hoo, we engaged' and 'watch your targets'. Tons of text. The next, after everyone got all tarty about talking on a pillage trip, there were 8-10 short lines of text. The difference in the amount of data sent was amazing, and the difference in the number of lag-outs was not.

Special event like a wedding, or a speech? Yeah, shut yer yap. But a pillage run? Plankin' jobbers just tells me you're either more interested in the poe than a good time, or don't like people. Either way, planking people during a battle to theoretically prevent people from droppin' in a battle is just plain ironic.

atteSmythe,
who finds this reminiscent of the 'blabbermouths on navy ships' argument against a complete wipe for Midnight

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Funnily enough I find that typing anything when a fight is loading stops me from lagging out.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates