• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 524
Posts: 524   Pages: 18   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 61864 times and has 523 replies Next Thread
Benzene265

Easter Rhegg Pre-Entry Discussion Thread + Render Test. (Other eggs welcome. >.>) Reply to this Post

I can't run 3DSMax on this poor old computer, and I'm sure a lot of you can't get it, either. So, I'm going to make this pre-entry discussion thread to help me stall more efficiently until the 10th and give those who can run 3DSMax a central location to find my Rheggshells. For those of you who like 30 rough drafts as well, come in and post your own eggshells.
----------------------------------------
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 22, 2007 1:51:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: Easter Rhegg Pre-Entry Discussion Thread + Render Test. (Other eggs welcome. >.>) Reply to this Post

Double posting? :O Actually this is on purpose to separate my eggs from the explanation above.

My first idea is the obvious answer to the Rhegg: The Ghysegg.

I did say I'd use the frowny face. >.> I posted a smiley one, too. Pick your favorite! As you can see, I'm now making an attempt at more detail, all of which may be lost in the render. At the very least, my muffin hat has a wavy brim.

Secondly and once again, I have made a "Suck up to OM" egg.

Hopefully, this one doesn't end up a towhead, too. Apollo isn't that high-contrast of a pirate. The hair's a lot darker, though. My theory is that line on the top of his head will wrap around and make a cowlick. Here's hoping my spatial awareness skills aren't as able as I think they are. >.>

Thirdly, because I can never avoid an obscure joke, I'm planning on entering a Chaliced Smurf. My main concern is the copywright issue. Would it be better if I made this one Olive skinned like Schtroumphe?

And finally, just to prove that Rheggs are so last year, here's my experimental Ghost Rhegg.

Yes, it's semitransparent. My main concern with this one is the yolk placement. I'd like it to be in the center of the model and not just the skin. The second concern is whether or not I'm even allowed to make see-through eggs. I'm sure I can fake it, but it won't look right on every floor. >.>
[Feb 22, 2007 1:53:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Plegg? hmmmm... Reply to this Post

Alright here is my very first attempt, based on patchwork eggs I made as a child.

I think it is probably too busy / detailed, but hopefully someone will be able to render this for me so I can fix it.
Thanks in advance :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 2:11:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Re: Plegg? hmmmm... Reply to this Post

Ah, I'll have to troll around a bit here... Patech PMed me, so here's a quick take on his:

Rhodin, I'll get to yours soon (maybe next week, though...:(...) Regarding the yolk/ghostie egg... it's possible so far as I know, but I'm not sure the transparency will do much at that size, and with a static image. Now, if we could do an animation... that would be very very cool.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 2:33:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Re: Easter Rhegg Pre-Entry Discussion Thread + Render Test. (Other eggs welcome. >.>) Reply to this Post

OH, all right, Rhodin, here ye go:

...again, no promises on the timing of the turnaround. ;D Rhodin, you got lucky here.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 2:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Oh, and obviously that ghost egg is just a straight egg map. If I were going to do the transparency trick, I'd have to build a yolk on the inside and render the "shell" as semi-transparent. Technically feasible, but you'd almost want the final product to be semi-transparent (except for the yolk), and I'm not sure if YPP will do that, plus the tiny size trouble. (Ghys mad and sad look... um... pretty identical.)
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 3:08:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well, I was trying to avoid having them build a whole separate model for one crazy idea. I should probably post a version with a less transparent yolk. My plan is to position the yolk so that it just looks like it's floating in there. Then, I'll have to add something to fake floorlines... >.<
[Feb 22, 2007 3:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Well, if you knew precisely which angle it would be rendered at, you could compensate simply enough... but if the rendering size and angle are variable, you're kinda up the creek.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 3:28:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Thanks again, I like how the patchwork effect came out - it actually looks a lot like the eggs I used to make. Rhodin's Weebles are very cute :) (Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!)
I am trying to make a puppet egg - big surprise I know - I would like to see how the mouth works (forgive this - I think it looks terribly goofy - it was just a quick sketch trying to get an idea about what to do for the mouth.)
It does look like it is a good idea to have dark colors up at the top.

Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 4:03:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Ye caught me just before I left for the night. Pletoo, here's that puppet, with a newly resized small render. I'm still trying to nail down the right size.

Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 4:14:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Before I go, here's one of mine... maybe abstract is the way to go, since you don't lose detail. ;D
My Storm Egg (note how the renderer alters the colors slightly, too, as Guppy pointed out... and thanks to Guppy, I have the right small egg now... I think):

Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 4:24:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

hehehe - definitely needs work - thanks :)
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 4:39:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

The mouth should go all the way back to the earrings for a hand puppet. Also, all the eggs will be viewed top-down like the rest of scenes in-game. So, keep that in mind when drawing the mouth.

To everyone, the combination of the somewhat harsh lighting and the tiny size totally kills contrast, so don't bother with subtle shading. >.> It'll be even lighter in-game, really! My Rhegg is a towhead.

I like the Storm one, it looks like it's made of black marble.
[Feb 22, 2007 5:25:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Aye, I already fixed the width of the mouth, I actually did that before posting, but got distracted by dinner and loaded the wrong one. I am trying to go off my actual puppets - it is such an odd angle really, I think once I finally get the mouth the rest will be easier (heh just like making the real puppets.)
Thanks for the tips, though. Finding good contrasts will be difficult, I wish I were able to do this on my own so I could experiment until happy but... it won't let me download even though I did everything it told me to.
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 6:08:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Will someone please render my fancy chocolate egg for me?

Thanks in advance!

I have a feeling the rose is too large. I really wish I could actually draw out my ideas well.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 23, 2007 9:24:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amyjoba

Arrrrrghhh!
I forgot about the lightening the colors issue.

Oh well...
Could you give me a rendering of this, so I can see where I went horribly wrong?

Arlith

[Feb 23, 2007 9:25:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amyjoba

Double posty for me. :P Stupid no edit....

if this one could get rendered too, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Arlith

[Feb 23, 2007 12:22:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lauttus

I have a few i'd like to see rendered:

Thanks for all the help with this

ps. I did download 3dmax, but it booched upon installing :(
Fizz - SO in The Phoenix Warriors and Lady of Tyr's Own of Midnight Ocean
---
Skyelanis from Midnight wrote wrote: 
Anything for you Fizz.
---
Avatar by myself --- here's lookin at you, kid.
[Feb 23, 2007 12:28:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Another two to render, with a second attempt at a puppet.

Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 23, 2007 1:26:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Remember that everything'll get distorted when it's converted to an egg, and then everything'll get shrunk down really really tiny when it goes into the game. Designs which hinge upon the ornate or delicate probably won't look so good on the other side of the renderer.

Here's a simple design I cobbled together in a few seconds:

While it's not particularly unoriginal and I wouldn't expect it to do well in the event, it's a very simple design that will still be pleasant to look at after it's been rendered and shrunk. (Well. It might be, but I admittedly picked poor colours for this purpose.)

Some specific things to avoid:
- Any "perfect shapes" like squares and circles, unless you want them distorted as an effect. (As is the case with this design.)
- Any text, at all. Even if it'd be readable after rendering, it won't be after it's been shrunk.
- Any design elements that might be termed "delicate" will also probably suffer by rendering and shrinking.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Feb 23, 2007 5:10:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

OK, I've fired up the Illustrate! plugin for Max, and I get some... dissatisfactory results when I render things at high resolution. Somehow the normals and texture resolution go all haywire. Just for illustration, here's a pattern that my dear wife made, so I could test things...

Stained Glass

Standard, hi-res rendering:

Illustrate! Cartoon rendering (Cel rendering looks even worse; the normals are still booched, but the lighting is too flat):

So... since the smaller ones really don't seem to lose all that much, I'm just going to do these test renders for people at the smaller size (which is how they would turn up in-game anyways) using the Illustrate! plugin.

If, for some wacky reason, anyone has a irresistable urge to see their eggs in high resolution, all prettied up, please PM me, and I'll try to work it in.

In the meantime, I'm just going to hammer out little trinkety eggs for whatever texture designs I get my grubby little piratey paws on. ;D
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 23, 2007 6:45:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Here's a batch of rendered eggy things. I'd include the original pattern, but that could get pretty spammy and would kill bandwidth. If you reeeeeally need to see the original patterns, they are a few posts back.

Arlith 1

Arlith 2

Fizz 1

Fizz 2

Fizz 3

Fizz 4

Fizz 5

Pletoo 1

Pletoo 2

Synful

PTG (Which, by the way, I had to turn into a PNG files format, since the one he posted was a .gif... no big difference, but the contest requires PNGs. PTG probably knew that, so no offense intended, just a notice for the contest.)

Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 23, 2007 7:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

Here's a basic template for a design, may I see it rendered to see if I have the proportions right? :)
'tis an egg in a basket

Phillite, Emerald
[Feb 23, 2007 7:49:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Gee, mine really needs a lot of work..lol.

Thank ye mate for the render, and I have another one or two I'll post tonight before I go to bed. Yer a saint for doing this!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 23, 2007 8:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Okay, I have a feeling that this will morp horribly when put onto an egg form, but I can't get the celtic designs out of my head until I at least try once. Thanks so much for rendering these. It helps immensely :-)

Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Feb 23, 2007 9:06:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Feylind, here's yours. It's more detailed than I thought it would be. I've been pondering Celtic, too. ;D

Synful, my wife still likes yours. ;)

Phillite, I can't seem to get your original design. The link seems to be broken.

And Rhodin, sorry if I've kinda hijacked this here little thread. I'm just chipping in where I can. ;D I may have to do a special render of your ghostie egg, just for the technical fun of it.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 23, 2007 9:16:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
N_o_v_a

I'll try again
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i12/Phillite/Picture1-7.png
Phillite, Emerald
[Feb 23, 2007 9:38:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lauttus

Thank you so much for your time in this. Now I know what I need to work on.
Fizz - SO in The Phoenix Warriors and Lady of Tyr's Own of Midnight Ocean
---
Skyelanis from Midnight wrote wrote: 
Anything for you Fizz.
---
Avatar by myself --- here's lookin at you, kid.
[Feb 23, 2007 9:57:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

It's an Eggshell Discussion thread, not just a Look at Rhodin thread. (I've made plenty of those already. >.>) Rendering the eggs helps us discuss them.

By the way, look at Rhodin!

I eyeballed the yolk position based on the hi-res ones. And this time, I didn't just lazily make the whole thing transparent. >.> Of course, at its puny in-game size it might not make a difference. No phony floorlines yet because I'm foolishly holding out hope that I can invent see-through furniture. If this one does get added, I hope you can see the pirate's hand through it in the portraits. Poor Nemo. >.>

Look at Ghys!

I've shifted the feather so that you can see more of it if the egg is facing right. Of course, you probably won't see any of it when it faces left. I've also darkened and thickened the border beween her white face and white collar in the hopes that they'll be distinguishable on a 60-pixel egg. Frowny-Ghys only since I'm also testing the frowny face. It's taller now.

Look at Schtroumphe!

Now in two colors, Smurf Blue and Pirate Tan. Mostly, I just made a lot of things darker on this one. I'm still somewhat iffy on the skin color. Smurfs, chaliced or not, should be blue, but can a Smurfegg be added to the game without bringing down the wrath of whoever owns the rights? (Peyo's kids?)
[Feb 23, 2007 10:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Ha, I was so busy showing off my own pirates that I forgot about Apollo, the low-contrast OM. I never had any problem distinguishing Prometheus's shirt from his face. >.>

[Feb 23, 2007 11:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 524   Pages: 18   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates