• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 327
Posts: 327   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 72010 times and has 326 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Design Easter Eggs for the game! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Ah, Easter. The only time of year when biting the ears off bunnies becomes a socially acceptable hobby.

Winners announced here!

It's Time To Design Easter Eggs Again

This is another chance to design Easter Eggs to become furniture items in the game. We need you to design us the best Easter Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game.

You have a little over two weeks for these designs, so get coloring!

Below is a template (stolen from last year's event) to show what a final design might look like.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here.

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using the image tags.
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- You can enter up to 4 designs each. If you think you're going to enter more than one, please consider saving them up and posting them all in one go later on in the contest period, to keep the thread more manageable!

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as www.putfile.com, www.imageshack.com, www.photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here.
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Tips and links from last year:

I've included these not just as a reminder of the entries from last year, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

-- Your design MUST be able to 'wrap' - the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two of your designs side by side.
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a rectangular template could look strange on the final egg model.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
-- Link to last year's event thread.
-- Link to last year's entry thread.
-- Link to Guppymomma's incredibly useful Rendered Eggs thread from last year
-- Last year's winning designs
-- If you want to, you can download the egg model from this link, if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modelling program. Note that you do not *need* to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modelling software (e.g. 3D studio max).
-- You may need a renderer plug-in apparently. ;)
-- Ponytailguy produced a quick tutorial of testing the designs in 3DS-MAX here
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

The deadline for Easter Egg designs is the end of Saturday 10th March - 11:59 PST. (just PST - it changes that night!).

If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given an egg in your design.

Go forth and make eggs!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 20, 2007 3:50:48 PM]
[Feb 21, 2007 3:43:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Re: Design Easter Eggs for the game! Deadline 10th March. Reply to this Post

i hart u
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Feb 21, 2007 3:48:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
FallenTree

Gak! OM events are getting way too chaotic.

I'm starting to have dreams of racing around Hunter Ocean trying to collect Easter Eggs that are singing "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba to their favorite OMs.
Bullettime on Hunter Ocean
Retired? Yeah, let's go with that.
[Feb 21, 2007 3:56:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Gak! OM events are getting way too chaotic.

I'm starting to have dreams of racing around Hunter Ocean trying to collect Easter Eggs that are singing "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba to their favorite OMs.

*steeples fingers*
Eeeeeeexcellent!
[Feb 21, 2007 4:03:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Libelle

Hmm...is there an equivalent 3D program for Macs? I'd love to be able to test egg designs.
Kolibri of Viridian
Libelle on Hunter & Sage

[Feb 21, 2007 4:03:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zorkable [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well, since there's already a Rhegg in game, I propose that should add weight to the decision to include the inevitable Ghysegg that I will be entering. I'll even make one with a frowny face. >.>

And yes, I'll be making an Apollegg. Kissing up to the judges worked last time. Ha.

Also, can the eggs be see-through? I have an idea that would be easier with see-through eggs. If not, I'm sure I can fake it. >.>
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 21, 2007 4:09:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Hmmmm.... "Pletoo's Prize Winning Egg" has a very nice ring to it and is not nearly as scary as Karaoke...

/e scurries off to look at all the links and info from an event that happened before her time and tries to think of a design to outdo all the awesome arrrtists there are here while strange songs with weird words run through her head.
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 21, 2007 5:27:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

ooo i wanna do a rainbow one =) this is a cool contest!!!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Feb 21, 2007 8:50:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Here's one more link: Last year's winning designs

I think I've been blackspotted by 3DSMax & Animate! since the trial versions that I used year to render for folks to see their eggs have since expired. I may ponder giving it a go on my husband's computer as he hasn't used the trial if I have the time, but his machine's slower than mine (or I could possibly try to see if the two programs will let me do another trial install, but I'm thinking it's not likely). If someone else wants to do the helpful renders, but needs web space for the images, PM me and I can host 'em.

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Feb 21, 2007 9:28:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I'm trying to learn how to render them. If I can figure it out, I'd be more than willingly to help you render them. :D
[Feb 21, 2007 10:30:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

If either of you manage, that would be awesome - I think it made it much easier for entrants last year to understand what the designs did!
[Feb 21, 2007 11:59:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Shortyjack wrote: 
I'm trying to learn how to render them. If I can figure it out, I'd be more than willingly to help you render them. :D

Here's the instructions on how to change the texture of that egg file courtesy of PTG:
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Art:Applying_Texture_With_3DS-Max

Combine that with the info in that one post I made that Apollo links to (I think it was 640x480 and use the camera angle.) and have the Animate! plugin installed to get the black outline thing (I can't recall if something specific has to be done to do that part).

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Feb 22, 2007 6:29:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

If I can find a link to the 30 day trial, I'll be happy to assist in rendering. Obviously, studio max is the one I should try. Does that work on windows? (see how much I know!)
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2007 6:46:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Gah, I just noticed a limit of 4 designs! Sniff. Last year it was unlimited. What if I have more than 4 ideas or more than one alt? >.>
[Feb 22, 2007 8:23:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Never having done anything like this before and without access to a 3d rendering program at the moment (and not sure how hard it is to figure out) I am wondering ....
I figure things in the middle stretch wider, but what happens at the top and bottom? Does it just get squashed together or do sections actually get "cut" (when I am sewing a round piece, I start with a rectangle and cut arches.) Another example would be the world maps, the ones made from a "flattened" globe - they are not rectangular, but have a scalloped or arched edge.
Are there any other general tips to keep in mind? (I did read through a lot of the material from last year.)
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 9:21:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Look at the winner's from last year. Not only do things stretch and squish but they get tilted weird. Take one of the winning designs of last year and see how its off-centered, etc. That's the best tip I can give.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2007 9:36:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Gah, I just noticed a limit of 4 designs! Sniff. Last year it was unlimited. What if I have more than 4 ideas or more than one alt? >.>
Yeah, I'm kinda sorry about that. If entries are slow to come in, then I may relent on that later... Last year it was unlimited number but all edited into the one post. Without the editing possible, I thought the number of posts would be unwieldy.
[Feb 22, 2007 10:18:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

If either of you manage, that would be awesome - I think it made it much easier for entrants last year to understand what the designs did!

I work with Max at work... I can do a few of these during lunch breaks. ;D it's a simple thing to put in textures and render them out. If I knew more about Max, I could script it, but I'm a Maya man just learning Max.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 11:01:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

OK, here's another mini-tutorial, just for kicks... and if this is too much and in the wrong place, I'm sorry. This seemed appropriate, though, so without further ado... (this is supplemental to the wiki link above)

Here's a basic 256x256 PNG that I've mapped onto the given mesh. This is simply to illustrate how your design gets mapped to the egg. The Left and Right views are the most relevant, and the bottom looks odd because of the lighting.
Base 256 PNG

From the Left

From the Right

From the Top

From the Bottom

The final egg should look something like this...

A couple of notes, looking at the mesh and its UVs:
The top and bottom do get a little messy, but only at the extremes. If you have a solid color across the top and bottom of your design (maybe the top ten pixels or so), you'll not notice the trouble, aside from the anticipated mild pinching as you approach either end.

Likewise, make sure your texture is tileable, or that the left side and the right side match up, so that when the texture is mapped, you don't notice a seam.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 11:33:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Well, I have played around with a design but I don't know if it is too busy or not since I am not having any luck with the 3D programs (I can't even download the 3ds Max.)
Without the edit function, would it be possible to have a place to upload "working copies" other than the entry thread where someone who is able and willing can get them for rendering? Or should we just do that here?
Oh and SilveRansom, your example is quite useful - thanks. One question is the final egg the right size or is the game egg bigger?
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 1:28:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Well, I have played around with a design but I don't know if it is too busy or not since I am not having any luck with the 3D programs (I can't even download the 3ds Max.)
Without the edit function, would it be possible to have a place to upload "working copies" other than the entry thread where someone who is able and willing can get them for rendering? Or should we just do that here?
Oh and SilveRansom, your example is quite useful - thanks. One question is the final egg the right size or is the game egg bigger?

I'm actually not sure about the tiny egg's size accuracy. I'm using the Max camera preset, so I'm hoping it's accurate, but I do not know for certain. I'm also fudging the black outline in Photoshop, so the true final output in-game is likely to be slightly different.

I'm open to PMs regarding testing eggs, but I can unfortunately make no guarantees as to how soon I'll get to the tests (I can get to them on work days, and should usually have them done within a few). A thread for testing would be a good idea, as I'm sure there are others who can offer time as well.

Apollo? What do you think?
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 1:54:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Actually, Discoegg is pretty hawt. >.>

I've made my own private mess of a discussion thread in MM to discuss my many designs and will enter the 4 best Rheggs in the official thread at the last minute. Other people can use it, too.
[Feb 22, 2007 1:55:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I've made my own private mess of a discussion thread in MM to discuss my many designs and will enter the 4 best Rheggs in the official thread at the last minute. Other people can use it, too.

Thanks - that will work nicely. Now if I could remember my imageshack password.....
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 22, 2007 2:02:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

In addition to Silverransom's helpful colorful one, here's the black & white one I did the other year:

Here's a little something that might help some of you with the visualization of how it will be rendered.

This is the design. The dot is roughly in the middle, so watch where it appears in the rendering and it will help you get what you want to be seen where it needs to be.

Here is the rendered image from this design:

Watch how the lines are wrapped, how they look when shrunk down to in game size, and how the lighting will change your colors.

I hope this helps you all make even more lovely eggs.

- Guppy

[Feb 22, 2007 3:35:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Apologies for the multiple post string, but I forgot to look this up and add this info earlier:

The current version for the 3ds Max 30-day trial is 9.0 The Illustrate! plugin version that works with 9.0 is currently in beta and not available for normal trial download. You have to register & stuff apparently to be a beta tester. http://www.davidgould.com then click on the Illustrate! link in the upper left, then on the link after the blurb about how 5.4 is ready for beta testing to get to the link for registration.

I should be able to do a pile of renders like last year. I'll probably stick it on a wiki page so I can edit it and so others could also possibly contribute to the effort. However, it's best that the rendered images aren't uploaded to YPPedia because it will probably be a kazillion :) I can provide hosting for the files if you want to help render & need a host.

- Guppy
[Feb 22, 2007 3:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Hey Guppy? Do you know the proper size for the actual trinket render? As has been noted, the size I'm rendering it at with the Max file's preset cameras just doesn't seem big enough. I can eyeball it, but is there a proper size?

Thanks! I sure wish I could do this at home (my 30-day trial ran out...); that would make it so I could do a bunch of these, too. ;D
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 22, 2007 3:58:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

I can stop posting at any time, really...I'm not addicted.

Silverransom: Use the camera angle and render for 640x480.

I also wanted to tack on some additional advice from last year for people who don't understand what is meant by the design wrapping:

How to check wrapping: just put two copies of your entry side by side and see if it matches up in the middle to look like a normal pattern design. Example:

- Guppy
[Feb 22, 2007 4:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

So I'm having trouble with the software at no surprise, which I have sent some PMs out for help. I'll try to keep this thread clear of my troubles. :P

However, is there going to be a wiki page made for the rendered entries for the competition?
[Feb 22, 2007 5:15:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

So I'm having trouble with the software at no surprise, which I have sent some PMs out for help. I'll try to keep this thread clear of my troubles. :P

However, is there going to be a wiki page made for the rendered entries for the competition?

I mentioned it in a post above. I was going to wait until I (hopefully) get authorized to use the Illustrate! beta, but when I do, the renders will be shown on http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Art:Design_Easter_Eggs/Rendered_entries

You can PM me if you want about 3ds Max. I'm no expert, but I figured it out enough last year to render :)

- Guppy
[Feb 22, 2007 5:29:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryan100100

well its a NICE DESIGN harr FROM UKNOWN PERSON
[Feb 23, 2007 10:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 327   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates