• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 28
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4011 times and has 27 replies Next Thread
edumais

What am I missing? Reply to this Post

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on these boards. It is by no stretch of the imagination a flaming thread. I hope it does not get deleted and I appologize if it offends anyone.

But...

What's the point of this game really? From my point of view, it's just a limited collection of puzzles games. The games are fun yes, but by no means are they innovative or groundbreaking. We can easily find free versions of these puzzles on the net. The socializing part of the game can be achieved on any chat channel on the net.

Why would I pay 10 bucks a month to play this game?

Please keep in mind in your replies, if there are replies, that the subject of the thread is <what am I missing>. As I am sure, by the amount of people playing it and paying for it, that I am missing something. By your arguments, I will be able to judge if it's worth paying maybe for a few months and give this game a chance.

Thanks.
[Feb 3, 2004 11:52:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Re: What am I missing? Reply to this Post

Admittedly, the "meta-game" that exists may not be readily apparent to somebody who's just started to play. The puzzles themselves may seem like the main attraction when you first start off, but as you go on, it becomes apparent that they're only a mechanism for the daily workings of the Y!PP environment.

The difference between Y!PP and any other game is that almost everything is player driven. You don't buy stuff from a random npc who always spouts the same line, you buy it from shops that are run completely by players and are supplied by players as well. All those superpowers that drive the plot forward in other games? They're all players that pay fer the game just like everyone else. The politics, the stories, the economy are all driven by the players themselves. The devs and GMs only step in for extreme cases.

This kind of interactivity is rarely seen in MMORPGs. Most of the time in those games you either run around killing stuff or you run around fetching stuff for random npps. This doesn't exist in Y!PP (well, until the advent of adventure islands anyways, but I doubt these will be your run of the mill "Go and get me this item" type adventures anyways").

A lot of us are also playing because of the promise of new things to come. I mentionned the adventure islands, but there's also colonisation comming up (when I expect the newly implemented flag wars to really come into play), new puzzles and all of the player driven events.

Again, all of this might not be readily apparent to new players, but ye can catch at least a glimpse of it if you join a crew and ask what a flag is or how shops work. While the simple puzzles grab our attention at first, it's the "social-puzzle" that keep us playing.
----------------------------------------
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Feb 4, 2004 12:18:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

What's the point of this game really?

To have fun in a cartoon pirate world.

The games are fun yes, but by no means are they innovative or groundbreaking.

Actually, what is innovative about the puzzles is the context in which they are placed; they are not merely puzzles for the sake of puzzling, but puzzling in an overall scheme, with results and rewards. So, the most you get out of playing Bejeweled for 4 hours straight is... well, whatever pleasure you find in it. The pleasure of the puzzles in YPP is coupled with the game mechanics and social mechanics, as an integral part of the world.

The socializing part of the game can be achieved on any chat channel on the net.

Not exactly. The people who play YPP are friendly, intelligent, funny, and engaging: not your usual internet chat crowd. There is a distinct and growing culture within YPP that is quite unique in any on-line world I've ever run across. What makes it particularly special is that those who do not foster the social community can be shunned, ignored, and banned from the game for behavior that is otherwise rampant across the internet. See Yahoo message boards, for example, or stop by in any IRC channel.

So, while there may be some pirate linguistic confusion at first, sitting in on a YPP chat circle, it is considerably more enjoyable than trying to figure out what {*128*cHarLiE__kIlLer*712*} is babbling on about.

Why would I pay 10 bucks a month to play this game?

You're right. you get a better deal with the quarterly or yearly plan.

<what am I missing>.

You're missing the game within the game. The puzzling is more of a 1st impression of the game. There's a quite complex economy, which takes a little while to figure out, but can be profited from, as well as influenced. There's an understandable and fair heirarchy to the social structure, which is fluid and open, and any player with determination can find a place within that suits them, with a crew, flag, or as a loner; or even create a place for themselves. The puzzles, while fun, are really only a mechanic of the real game - which is the one played with everyone else.

I'm not sure if this satisfies your question; and I'm not sure if 10 log-ons are enough for someone to really understand the game well enough to know whether to pay for it or not, but I hope it's a start.

But, you won't *really* have fun in the game until you at least job with a couple of crews. Then you'll get a good glimpse of the game within the game.
[size=10]Aerosol - Captain, Aeronauts
Visit Ye Independents Forum Page!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Feb 4, 2004 12:39:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Fishtie

Dorel and Aerosol makes some fine points... to which I add-

I see a number of things that attract people to this game:

As far as MMORPGs go, it is different from the rest in that how well you do isn't defined on levels or classes. Everything relies on your abilities to work the duty puzzles, develop relationships with your crew, flag and other pirates. I find this more gratifying than the level grinding indicative of other MMORPGs.

The game is completely open-ended. Sure there are paths and patterns pirates generally take, but it is entirely up to the person to decide on what they might want to do at any given time. That may not be a positive for the more quest driven players, but I've found that crews and flags and even singular pirates find quests on their own eventually. Be it an all-black outfit or striving to buy a war brig or ironmonger. Tangible goals that mean something to the pirates from the outset.

There are a good number of puzzles in the game right now... with more to come. I've never really become bored with them as I'm driven (obssessed possibly) to find a better way to do them. Even then, there's a myriad puzzles in the game that aren't so conspicous. Trading and politics are puzzles that exist in this world without any actual coding done by the developers. Pretty neat trick if you ask me.

This game is very social as well, which probably makes it more appealing to a larger audience than most other MMORPGs. It's a pleasing interface with a pretty good selection of clothing for the fashion inclined. Not only that, the number of open events on the ocean as well as any events within certain crews and flags gives anyone ample opportunity to have something to do.

There's more, certainly, but I cannot think of them off the top of me head.
Ghoti
Swordsman, Cult of the Red Mantis
Sublimely Mirthful [size=9](void where prohibited)
Proud wearer of The Useless Stamp of Approval (tm)
[Feb 4, 2004 12:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

In the beginning, it's a chance to do puzzles in a social atmosphere. I can sit and play Tetris for half a day, by myself, and have a good time, but it doesn't compare to being on a ship full of clever people joking back and forth while we play. It's the combination of socializing and puzzling that hooked me in the beginning.

I'll admit it, though -- by this point, the puzzles are only a small part of my enjoyment. We've had a number of discussions (a good one to start with is here, and I have other contributions here and here and here) about it; I suppose we're overdue to see what's changed. Basically, the big thing for me is that I can succeed just through role-playing, without needing magic armor or N million experience points. (Plus, you wouldn't believe all the extracurricular nonsense my flag puts together to keep ourselves amused.)

It all boils down to the way you want to play. There are lots of pirates who play mostly for the puzzles. They pay to keep playing because they enjoy the people they play with. If you decide that you want more from the game, then you can put in the effort to attain a position of power, by working your way up to a senior position in a good crew, or by starting an enterprise of your own. As you develop your character and crew, you can look for opportunities to get involved in commerce and politics, if that's what floats your boat. The beauty of the game is that you can choose the level of involvement you want.

[size=9]EDIT: Others (in particular Aerosol) pretty much nailed it while I was doing RL work and digging up old discussion threads. Guess that'll teach me that research doesn't pay (though RL work does!).
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Feb 4, 2004 1:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Many good points have been brought up.

I really only have one thing to add: Go check out the Events forum.

Seriously. That is what sets YPP above and beyond all the rest. I admit that I don't have much experience with MMO games, but I've never heard of player-driven events like this one has. Especially the originality and sheer volume of them. This is what the game allows to be built, because the actual structure is rather free form.

Looking at it in layers.

The puzzles. They're the base level. While they aren't the be and end-all of puzzle games, they do hold their own. If you feel up to it, go run a search on swordfighting and read through a few threads. You may be surprised how much in depth consideration there is to it.

The crews. In my mind, having a group of people come together and puzzle away towards a common goal (kicking the crap out of brigands) is one of the best activities in the game. Personally, i've found ARR! to be a collection of some of the most engaging and enjoyable I've come across on the net. The great thing is... there are many, many different crews, and they're run in many, many different ways. You'll probably be able to find a flavor that fits for you, and it will certainly heighten the experience.

The flags. Stepping up one level, you'll start to see some amazingly in depth political interplay... and we haven't even gotten to colonization yet. Since flags generally run the shops, and shops are often interrelated, how a flag will go about assuring that their shop can run (and run profitably) is rather amazing. Beyond that, to see how relationships develop because of flag allegiences can be a good intellectual stimulus.

The ocean. Beyond the flags, we've got the community as a whole. Here's where the events come into play, because they will very often cross crew and flag lines. While some of these are basic (and supported in the code of the game) like swordfighting tournaments, others are completely player-driven. Check out one of the Looterati's contests. They'll test your verbal wit and mind instead of your puzzling fingers. Or take a gander at the 12 Days of Piratey X-Mas that Nyx's Scions ran back in December. 12 days, 12 different events. All player driven and run. Quite a variety to build on a few puzzles and a chat system.

Beyond that... The Devs.

I have -never- seen or heard of a game that has this much interaction from the development team. They're not just the designers... They jump in and get dirty with the rest of us players on occasion. A couple nights ago, Cleaver was chatting around on the Alpha docks, taking on all comers in swordfighting. Wasn't for any purpose other than to have some fun with the players.

Or yesterday, I made a slight gaffe, and he poked a bit of fun at me because of it. Just a random message, and I hadn't even asked him a question. To me, it really made the difference hit home. To Three Rings, we aren't just a bunch of $10 dollar bills each month. They aren't afraid to aknowledge our existence as people, and they do respond to feedback.

My suggestion is to try out the quarterly trial for $20... You'll get three months to play around. By that time you'll probably have found out you don't care for the game to continue, found you liked it, but have played it out, or have found that you want to keep on playing it. In either of the first two options, you've done so at less than half the cost of just about any other new video game. (and 3 months is probably logner than the lifespan of most of them, if my ex-roommates playing habits are any indication.)
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Feb 4, 2004 1:32:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
diablevert

The diffrence in a phrase is puzzling with purpose: with any other puzzle game you are at best shooting for some sort of top ten list. Attaining it can give you a sense of personal pride an accomplishment (indeed, there is a top ten for the various puzzles in PP as well) but beyond that, the skills you've acquired don't really have any other utilization. With this game, being an excellent sailor or carpenter or whatever can have both concrete immediete effects on your crew (winning a sea battle) and within the larger social structure as a whole, making you a respected and desirable crewmember to have, bumping your flag from scoundrels to blaggards.

But really, what I like best is that there's always a new facet of the game to explore. I have a half-formed mental list of things I want to accomplish in this game (Item number one: Buy pants. Item number 1001: Conquer ocean). Right now, it's learning how to be a better officer and successfully lead pillage runs, and meming some inter-arch routes so I can really get out there and explore. Even as I'm consciously trying to improve my abilites in those areas, however, I'm already being sucked into the Trading Puzzle, as it were, after I absentmindely foraged some hemp and cleared 700 poe. The thing that appeals about this is that instead of just figuring out "what to do" I have to figure out "how it works."

I mean, thinking of most RP console games, and from what I understand, some of the MMPORPGs out there, you go through this sequence --- 1. Get mission. 2. Recieve vague clue. 3. Due a bunch of scut work or sub quests in order to buy equipment/find key 4. Enter dungeon/castle, ect. 5. Stabby-stabby slashy-slashy, uppy-stabby, jump, stabby-stabby slashy-slashy, uppy-stabby, jump... 6. kill boss and ether a) get big prize or b) get smaller pize and new mission. PP gives you that same sense of accomplishment that goes with having completed something difficult, but without the eternal repetativeness, because the goals are goals you decide on, you can approach them a number of ways, and once you decide on a goal, instead of being presented with a number of pre-determined steps/clues to get to it, you have to figure out how to attain it, whether that goal is becoming a captain or memming the ocean. And the only help you get is that which comes from your fellow players, from building up relationships with them...
[Feb 4, 2004 1:53:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CatDoc

reason Reply to this Post

Two words:

Hawt Round Heads.

Three. Three words:

Hawt Round Heads... with Little Hands.

Ok. Among the reasons:

Nevermind. Just play it for a week and make some friends. Oh, and planking your mates when they give ye lip.
Seatiger, proud owner of Thalia
Footstool to Eris, Goddess of Dischord
Founder and Senior Officer, The Spanish Inquisition
[Feb 4, 2004 4:48:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http:// www.catdoc.biz [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

I saw it briefly mentioned previously, but I would like to expand on the completely player-run economy. This is really unbelieveable. Supply and Demand on a small-scale, but running as close to RL as one gets...Shortages create demands and raise prices...and higher prices driving trade...Economics playing on the political scales with war afoot...

We have basically a mass customization economy, so special, one-of-a-kind items don't really exist to sell, so Economies of Scale are important. Also, supply chain management plays a role in your business in terms of the Apoth, Weaver, Tailor arrangement.

And another thing, is the drive to succeed that our players show...people doing things above and beyond in order to increase the enjoyment experienced by everyone else...I know atteSmythe's phpMyPirate will be phenominal when it is fully released, and my Tailor's Product Catalog for Emerald Tailors gives shoppers an opportunity to shop around all the tailors of Emerald to hunt for the best prices on clothing.

There is a lot out there waiting for you to experience...on many levels, but, like anything else in life, you only get out of it, what you put in...So, take a chance and try it for 3 months, with the right attitude and a little work, you can join in the experience that is Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates....
[Feb 4, 2004 6:46:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Flag Looterati is more than well represented in this thread, but I'm casting in my own two POE on the matter.

The sophistication of the game play experience is immense. The basic puzzles themselves are quite simple, as you noted, and available elsewhere. Now, if you really don't like the puzzles at all, it's probably a lost cause. But that doesn't appear to the be the case here, you like the puzzles, you just know there are similar thing elsewhere for free. But that's the only most basic, trivial level of gameplay and that's all you're getting from PopCap or Zone.

At that point, you can start adding layers of complexity in both the personal and social spheres. On a personal level, you can set goals and choose how you're going to get there. At first, they might be simple - buy pants, do better than able at carpentry, get promoted to pirate. Later on, they become more complex - learn to manage the stations on a ship, understand the economy, manage a shop, create a training program for greenies. And there are a thousand other goals in between that you can pursue some or all of. And after that, there are a thousand other goals that nobody has even thought of yet.

On the social side, there are also levels of interaction. You can choose to just job around with different crews who are hiring and meet different people. You can hang out on the docks. You can choose to join a crew (and picking the right crew is a puzzle unto itself). You can work your way through the crew ranks, become a captain or a king or a diplomat, or take on some other special role in your crew or flag - maybe you'd like to be in charge of training newbies, or managing maps or resolving disputes. Larger crews or flags often have people assigned to help with all of those things. Then there are player run events. You can join 'em, run 'em or think 'em up. While they often contain elements of basic gameplay, the fun and challenge is in dreaming up new ways to combine the basic stuff into something new and exciting.

If you've got an active crew or flag, as I do, your opportunities are even more. We have group pillages, flag training exercises, off line contests, a group of flag programmers building us tools to enhance our playing experience. That's all got nothing to do with little puzzles, but it's part of the culture and community of the game to do that sort of thing. At the same time, our flag is like a big family. We have arguments and debates and discussions, and still get along well enough to pile on a big boat and stab some brigands when its over.

Though I thoroughly enjoy the puzzles (except gunning! hate gunning! gah!) all of my favourite things about the game are part of the larger context:

1. First being named an officer during the last week on the beta test ocean. It was a recognition that I'd mastered the basic skills of the game, and well enough to be able to help others learn them to. It felt like a real accomplishment, and it wasn't an automatic promotion based on some stats or experience points, it was based on a senior officer taking the time to teach me what I needed to know, and learning to trust me.

2. Participating in our flag riddle contest. It was an elaborately written narrative filled with challenging riddles and logic problems to solve. The whole thing happened on our flag forums, not even a bit of it happened in the game at all. But the game fosters the community that makes stuff like that happen.

3. The Plaice. A few days ago on the docks, I was talking about buying my first boat, since I finally had the POE saved up. We talked a bit about colours and things, and then one of the Officers in another crew in my flag gave me his. It was a really great moment and I love my new cutter. But more important to the larger game, it's a level of cooperation and friendship that you just don't expect in most games.

I mean, sure, I'm proud of my Ultimate in sailing (assuming I still have an Ultimate in sailing), but it's a minor aspect of the experience compared to spending time with my friends.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Feb 4, 2004 6:48:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

One more Looterati here, who couldn't resist piping up. (We do love to talk.)

To demonstrate a piece of personal evidence that the puzzles are not the end-all be-all of this game: I don't like puzzle games. At all.

There, I've said it. (/me waits to be banned.)

I've *never* enjoyed puzzle games. They require a concentration on logic and detail that makes me want to smash my computer in frustration and boredom and go outside and play.

In fact, it was one of the reasons I kept ignoring my friends when they first started bugging me to "Come and play Puzzle Pirates with us!" I didn't know what it was, but it had the word 'puzzle' in it, which was enough for me. I think I finally had to be bribed with a pizza.

6 months later, I still haven't heard about that pizza. And I'm getting really hungry. Hm... Oh, but I'm addicted to this game! From the first day, I started getting into it, and finding all kinds of things I wanted to do. I walked into a tailor shop and fell in love with the little clothes. I wanted outfits! I wanted a sword! Ooh, there are crews? I want to be an officer! Wait; I could be a captain! I could be royalty! Hell, I want my own tailor shop!

I got to meet fascinating, friendly people, and I liked the fact that, more than the RPGs like Final Fantasy and Baldur's Gate that I'd played before, everything really is entirely up to you. You decide where you want your pirate to go and what you want to do. You make all the decisions, decide who to befriend and who irritates you.

I attended a fashion show, and it was the first time I got to see the ranks of the pirate elite! I listened to them joking back and forth with each other and realised that was what I wanted: to create that kind of relationship with a group of people, and to bring all kinds of new people to the game into that community. I wanted to help run these kinds of events and be one of the people behind the scenes of it all.

Then I got planked FIRST in said fashion show, and my goal changed to: Destroy this King Pennsuedo guy, whoever he is.

And that burning hatred has tided me over to this day.

/me winks and runs off giggling madly.

edit: I forgot to say : I think I like puzzles games now! Or at least, the ones in Y!PP.
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by DrunknBfly at Feb 4, 2004 8:35:27 AM]
[Feb 4, 2004 8:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
edumais

Well, after reading you all, I must say I'm impressed. I expected people to be at least annoyed by my post. I did expect some <STHU NOOB> stuff. Although nothing I've seen yet lead me to think that's what I would receive here. It's just that this is the kind of thing I'm getting used to where I come from...

All replies were very constructive, interesting and funny and you guys convinced me that what I am missing because of the fact that I'm just starting is probably worth having a look into. Now if I could only make sure none of you have invested money in 3 Rings... :-)

So I will sign up tomorrow and probably for a 3 months period. I've wasted more money than that on much stupider stuff. Not that I think te game is stupid really, but.... Oh wel, you guys understand what I mean... :-)

See you on-line. My on-line name is Alrick by the way...
[Feb 4, 2004 9:50:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Glad to have ye aboard mate.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
[Feb 4, 2004 9:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

What he said. I'm just glad that one of our newer players took the time to ask, and ask in a place where he can get some real answers, than take a look around, say "This sucks" and walk away. A most refreshing change of pace, and one that bodes well for you in the future.

Welcome to the club, mate!
Hermit Smurrf
[Feb 4, 2004 10:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Devonin wrote: 
Glad to have ye aboard mate.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I hate posting without content but damn you people for always saying the neat stuff I want to before I can!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Feb 4, 2004 11:52:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

edumais wrote: 

See you on-line. My on-line name is Alrick by the way...

I'll watch for you online to be sure you get a chance to job with the Looterati. Unless of course you're sick of listening to us talk. We do tend to blather on at length.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Feb 4, 2004 11:54:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

the only thing ill say about this is, i started when it was free

and if i had to decide whether or not to pay for it after 10 trials, i wouldnt have

but after about a month i was addicted, and thats the angle, as many of you put so well in this thread

but i see how it would be incredibly difficult for any of the new people to make this decision that soon
[Feb 4, 2004 6:17:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

I know the edumais has already decided to try things out more fully, but I wanted to highlight this for any other new person who might come across this thread:
damienroc wrote: 
Beyond that... The Devs.

I have -never- seen or heard of a game that has this much interaction from the development team. They're not just the designers... They jump in and get dirty with the rest of us players on occasion. ... To Three Rings, we aren't just a bunch of $10 dollar bills each month. They aren't afraid to aknowledge our existence as people, and they do respond to feedback.

This is, absolutely, one of the greatest things about this game. This isn't Sony/Verant, or EA, or any of the other MMO companies out there. The Devs here actually listen to and interact with the community. It's not unusual for a good suggestion proposed here on the forum, especially if backed by many people, to be added into the game. People started clamoring more and more for flag wars, so the devs moved it to the high priority list to complete.

Obviously, they can't implement every suggestion, and they won't put in features that go against their vision of the game. But at least they'll actually say why something will or will not be added. And while no one will ever be pleased all of the time with everything added or tweaked, at least we know that there is generally a good reason why it was done. And, personally, for every thing done that I may not have been happy about, there are 4 or 5 more things done that I love. So I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt whenever anything changes.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Feb 4, 2004 10:54:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

edumais wrote: 
I've wasted more money than that on much stupider stuff.

Now that is a slogan.
[Feb 5, 2004 1:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrinklybeard

A sentiment I feel and I'm sure a lot of people share is...
I'd play a lot more MMORPGS if it weren't for all the darn people.
The communities of most online games are full of total nozzle-beans. Fun games have been ruined for me by a community of people I just can't stand to be around. Rude, nasty, cliquish, profane, immature players. Now, there are some of these on puzzle pirates, but there are far more of the type of player that actually makes a multiplayer game enjoyable.
For instance, in an unnamed mmorpg I used to play, one couldn't walk from one town to the next without hearing someone call something "gay." I don't even know I've heard the word used in that context once in the game. I've never seen anyone ask for cybersex. I haven't been approached for a scam. For every annoying kind of mmorpg player behavior, on puzzle pirates it is the exception rather than the norm. The developers care about the game and the players, and strive to make the game a place where players can interact without being driven nuts by idiots.
Also, keep in mind that the game is still quite young, and the dev's are working hard to introduce new features all the time. If you stick around and create a presence for yourself now, you'll be able to enjoy the later features even more.
MsViolaceous

Nemo tells you, "Thtbtbtbtbt"
[Feb 5, 2004 4:18:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://avalon.nightstar.ca/forum/    MeaseKitty [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

Nemo wrote: 
edumais wrote: 
I've wasted more money than that on much stupider stuff.

Now that is a slogan.

aye but im not sure id use a word that doesnt exist in me slogan mate

j/k nemo, please dont hurt me
[Feb 5, 2004 5:16:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peterdoubt

The only word I see that doesn't exist is "im." :)

Assuming you're referring to "stupider," it's in my Random House Second Edition.

PeterDread
[Feb 5, 2004 11:10:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

Aye, I'm with you on the community end. A very close friend of mine has tried (rather hard) to get me to join her in a new chinese mmorpg beta; long story short, one browse of the game's official forums later, I have absolutely no desire to try it out. Even with a good friend filtering out some of the idiocy.

It's true we've seen all sorts of the uglier side of MMO players, but we've got a fine group of folk who don't mind stamping them out or attempting to reform them. Cheers to the community at large!
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Feb 5, 2004 6:54:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daplunderer

Sounds a lot like Runescape. =)

Well, one thing I love about the game is my crew. We always joke around, and we even job a lot of the same people repetedly, I have noticed. And we are not all serious, but it is for casual players. Though I play a bit to much for that.
Zangor on Midnight Ocean.
[Feb 7, 2004 12:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/blog/nickchurch [Link]  Go to top 
Evil_Vin

Ok now that edumais has signed up we can go back to acting how we usually act. (Im sorry I just had to say that)
Evilvin: [MIDNIGHT] Fleet Officer of Good Omens
Owner of the Peaceful Man-of-war
On a Long Puzzle Pirates Break
[Feb 7, 2004 12:36:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    evilvin1 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Well, after reading you all, I must say I'm impressed. I expected people to be at least annoyed by my post. I did expect some <STHU NOOB> stuff. Although nothing I've seen yet lead me to think that's what I would receive here. It's just that this is the kind of thing I'm getting used to where I come from...

Dude, nobody talks like that here! ;)

Seriously, the game is only as good as the players, so spread the word to anyone else who's tired of that 'WUG?!!!!!11one' sort of thing.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 7, 2004 3:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Willturna

You're right. you get a better deal with the quarterly or yearly plan.

NICE!
Best comeback I have ever seen on these forms
Willturna, Senior Officer in Fun House
[Feb 17, 2004 9:27:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sarahmyst

wrinklybeard wrote: 
A sentiment I feel and I'm sure a lot of people share is...
I'd play a lot more MMORPGS if it weren't for all the darn people.
The communities of most online games are full of total nozzle-beans. Fun games have been ruined for me by a community of people I just can't stand to be around. Rude, nasty, cliquish, profane, immature players. Now, there are some of these on puzzle pirates, but there are far more of the type of player that actually makes a multiplayer game enjoyable.
I've never seen anyone ask for cybersex. I haven't been approached for a scam. For every annoying kind of mmorpg player behavior, on puzzle pirates it is the exception rather than the norm. The developers care about the game and the players, and strive to make the game a place where players can interact without being driven nuts by idiots.

I totally agree with you. Although, amazingly enough, I *have* been approached for cybersex in Puzzle Pirates, it was a one time occurance and I reported him. This game just doesn't draw very many of those kind of people. And then, if there is somebody annoying, there are several ways to get rid of them, like if they are on your crew you can plank them, or if they are talking and being annoying you can even mute them (which I had to do once because some guy just decided to keep insulting me). Besides those rare cases, my experience with people on PP has been very enjoyable. Not only are there plenty of helpful people around if you are a newbie, but there are many people that are funny, witty and entertaining. And because this game appeals to such a broad audience, I've noticed something not very common at all in MMORPG's, which is there are a lot of women playing! That aspect amongst many others, I think, helps set PP apart from othe online games. Since PP is primarily player driven, and players have a huge influence on how the game goes, having women adds new points of view, ideas, to game that would otherwise not be there without their presence. Not that men don't bring a lot to the game--what I'm saying is that women bring another element to it. And its nice to no longer feel so alone in what tends to still be a male dominated universe. :) But with games like PP, I hope that more women will become interested in gaming in general (that way I'll actually have *female* friends that I can talk with about games-right now they just go "huh?" when I rave about the newest ps2 game).
"The sea and I have become one,
I've been fighting a battle and now I've won;
I feel happy, wonderful and my spirit is free,
And there's no other place I'd rather be."

-Myst of Meridian
[Aug 11, 2004 6:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates