• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1228 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Marfig

A non jobbing crew channel Reply to this Post

Is it usable to have a /crew only channel that can't be seen by jobers. I find it useful. something like /ccrew, which unfortunately would add yet another channel. I just can't seem to think of a way to reuse one of the existing channels.
----------------------------------------
Maester!

Puzzle Pirates is full of mysteries and game secrets. The biggest of them all; Why on hell people don't team on SF!?
[Feb 2, 2007 4:43:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Re: A non jobbing crew channel Reply to this Post

Is it usable to have a /crew only channel that can't be seen by jobers. I find it useful. something like /ccrew, which unfortunately would add yet another channel. I just can't seem to think of a way to reuse one of the existing channels.

/officer, /flagofficer...

Granted, people less than officers can't see it, but still.
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Feb 2, 2007 4:49:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
fireydeath01

(Correct me if i'm wrong) But I thought that /fb wasn't shown to jobbers so that can work just as well at times.
Fireydeath - Something.
[Feb 2, 2007 5:00:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grayside

/o doesn't cover pirates or cabin people.
/fb speaks to the entire flag.

I suppose I can imagine a need for this on the green oceans, but I've rarely seen the blue crew where it was needful to speak to all the cabin people but not the jobbers.

This is a social game, you shouldn't sit around ignoring your jobbers. /o and /expel* is there to cover immediate & critical crew business

* Not an actual text-command.
Firestone, Captain, Mad Tea Party, Cobalt
Gallant, PotD, Midnight

[Feb 2, 2007 9:45:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grayside.org/ypp/mayhem    Tires.Pirate [Link]  Go to top 
fireydeath01

This is a social game, you shouldn't sit around ignoring your jobbers.

Isn't that like saying This is a social game, you shouldn't ignore your crew so we shouldn't have /o?
Fireydeath - Something.
[Feb 2, 2007 9:51:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grayside

Isn't that like saying This is a social game, you shouldn't ignore your crew so we shouldn't have /o?

Nope.

/o chat is there for the discussion of business that relates to powers your officers share and need to organize as a group. You might argue that there really only needs to be a /vessel-officer chat (which I'd campaign for as a new channel for bigger crews) but /o chat is also there to exclude potentially untrustworthy newcomers.

/crew-only would include pirates and cabin people simply for a social club- I don't see the need to marshal pirates that cannot plank or give orders. What would you want to tell your non-officers that you would not want to tell your jobbers?

Now to go with an alternate track, I could understand including your people in the family social clubbing channel but not random jobbers. Its not an evil idea. But I'd say at least half of all recruitment happens because jobbers like the way the family sounds when they throw pies at each other.

This might also be a difference the Blue vs. Green experience.
Firestone, Captain, Mad Tea Party, Cobalt
Gallant, PotD, Midnight

[Feb 2, 2007 10:03:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grayside.org/ypp/mayhem    Tires.Pirate [Link]  Go to top 
Marfig

That is entirely not the matter. This is not about a social club. I don't remember saying anything about that. However I do see your point and within that context alone you are right.

Jobbing officers have access to the officer channel. Since all jobers are shown with the exact same picture I have trouble knowing if I have any officer jobbing for me. You can rightly say don't discuss sensitive crew issues when a pillage is under way or jobers are showing in your crew roster. But that's where I ask if it is sensible to then add a new channel for crew only matters.

Furthermore, during the course of a pillage it may happen a crew issue suddenly arises that involves cabin or pirate crew members. An officer channel won't help under this circumstance. Again, I can delay that matter to after the pillage... or it may skip my control and be openly debated on /crew with all jobers knowing about it.

/vessel is an excellent channel that already deals with the scope of a pillage and easily seen by jobers.
Maester!

Puzzle Pirates is full of mysteries and game secrets. The biggest of them all; Why on hell people don't team on SF!?
[Feb 2, 2007 2:25:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Jobbing officers have access to the officer channel.

No, they don't.

From the wiki :

Jobbing pirates who are officers in their own crew do not count as officers of your crew

Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Feb 2, 2007 2:55:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

Exactly. The only way that "jobbing officers" are officers in your crew is to actually make them full time crew and promote them, which is what frequently happens in blockades.

As for a separate crew chat channel, I think I disagree. If there is something you don't want people outside your crew hearing, then don't say it while there are jobbers in the crew. Or say it over one of the officer channels, and find a way to get the message to all the pirates and cabin people, if that's important to you. Or expel the jobbers. Or, I don't know, come up with sup3r s3krit codes to relay your plans for your nefarious plots and schemes.

Because really, if it's just regular old chat, there shouldn't be any need for a super secret chat channel.
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Feb 2, 2007 4:40:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
Marfig

Ok this was important. I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification. I was seeing non crew officers on office chat and wasn't aware they had been crewed before for the blockade. That surely puts everything in perspective.

Thanks again.
Maester!

[Feb 2, 2007 7:42:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates