• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13266 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Icutmyself

Who likes to pillage with Cutters?

The cutter is not only the most emo of vessels out there, it's also one of the hardest to run. That's why I plan to run an event involving cutters soon (watch out for it), and I would like some data on cutter pillages to keep things fair:

1) What would you consider average earnings per battle on a cutter staffed with around 7-10 people? (Please add the routes you usually play, in ruby they will of course be quite a bit different than elsewhere.

2) How long do your battles approximately take?

3) Would you pillage your booty off on a cutter to win fame, PoE and shiny stuff in an event? How much PoE and what kind of shiny stuff would you consider adequate?

I already have a general idea of course, and some basic calculations have been made, but I'd like to have broad input to really gear the scoring well. I'm posting this here because I need data from Midnight.

Event post and corresponding parley post will likely be up in the course of the week.

Thanks for your support.
----------------------------------------
Captain of Deathcab for Booty
King of the flag Incredible

...and so emo it hurts.
[Jan 21, 2007 7:46:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Re: Who likes to pillage with Cutters?

The cutter is not only the most emo of vessels out there, it's also one of the hardest to run.

Being a withered old man, I know little of this "emo" you speak of, unless of course you mean Emo Philips . But I like using cutters for pillaging when I want to recruit greenies. - a sloop doesn't give me enough room to job them unless I want to have no sails/carp/bilging done, and a WB takes too long to get started. On a cutter, me plus three or four good puzzlers can win battles, and then I can add greenies and still keep winning.

1) What would you consider average earnings per battle on a cutter staffed with around 7-10 people? (Please add the routes you usually play, in ruby they will of course be quite a bit different than elsewhere.

For Emerald, it's about the same that I get on sloops, starting aruond 400 per pirate and ramping up to around 1k per.

2) How long do your battles approximately take?

Eight to ten minutes usually does it. (Slightly longer than my sloop battles.)

3) Would you pillage your booty off on a cutter to win fame, PoE and shiny stuff in an event? How much PoE and what kind of shiny stuff would you consider adequate?

I'd do it for the fun, of course prizes would be good too since I know most people wouldn't do it if it was cutter-only and I love getting easy prizes. >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Jan 21, 2007 9:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

I hate cutters ;) Personally I've never been able to run a successful pillage on them, so I just gave up on them. I tried giving away 4 in a blockade raffle and they were never claimed! I've had 3 for sale for about 6 months now, and by some miracle I just finally sold one.

That's about all I can tell ya ;) Yeah I'd join events though... events rock :)
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Jan 21, 2007 1:01:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marlenus

Actually I do love a good cutter pillage.
As an old small crew finally looking to grow, it makes for a good way to recruit folk. Cutters can be a bit touchy when it comes to managing them, especially damage control. If ye lose one fight and take some damage you have a healthy chance of losing a few jobbers. On a cutter this can end even a good pillage really fast.
However, once you get about 10 mates on one, you can start to hit a few of the merchant brigs. Having an extra move per round against the opponent is neat.
I usually take mine out on the course between Turtle and Papaya - can usually spawn some good opponents there. It isn't Ruby poes, but it ain't so bad either.

For a cutter event, I would like to have enough advance notice to get one where I need it and shedule at least a few trusted mates to help. As for prizes, something that would benefit a crew rather than an individual would be best, in my opinion. Cb's and Rum come to mind, or even matching premade hats or something for the winners would be a good token if the budget is limited.

Actually as I'm writing a seed of an idea popped up for an event...

If you could get an Island-controlling flag to sponsor a cutter-only event blockade you could arrange for an XO X-change program... where crews involved in the blockade offer up one XO from their crew to put into the exchange pool. One XO offered for each b-naver that will go into the blockade. The XO's in the pool are randomly assigned to job and be the XO on a ship for another crew. At the very least, people from crews and flags that may never get a chance to kick around on the same boat would be able to meet and such. Who knows, it may spawn some new and dastardly alliances. Just a thought.

Spivey
Captain of Gallows Oak
King of Tuatha de Dannan
Cleave 'em and thiever thar booty!!
[Jan 21, 2007 4:22:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

I have done ruby cutters from time to time....they can be disasters sometimes but thats another story.

1) Jorvik-Eta (ruby) with 10 on board and 1 hopper. Battles ranged from 25k-55k after the first win(first battle paying 12k-18k)

2) They are always super agressive so im more carefull. Plus 16 shots take aa bit so id say 15-30turns..

3) I will do it for the fun as well but maybe talk to a OM and try to get a trinket prize for first place......maybe a ribbon....nothing to big .
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jan 21, 2007 5:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

Thanks for the input, I'd like to answer some of the posts

Vova:
I have talked to an OM, and sadly I won't be getting any trinkets, because I'm too green as an event runner. If I still make this one successful, I'll hopefully get them in the future, though.

Spivey:
Good point on the prizes for crew, instead of just the naver. I was thinking about having the main part of the prize be a fixed sum of PoE that can be divided amongst the crew on the ship. That way varying crew sizes can best be accounted for, and the planning stays manageable. In addition to this there will be a main prize that cannot be divided.

I like the blockade idea, but my event will be geared more towards pillaging. So basically you will pillage and keep what you make, plus a possible prize if you win the event (or a smaller prize if you come second or third), plus a few possible extra fun prizes regardless of whether you win. So, the way I see it, everyone wins.

There will be at least 2 weeks notice, and you'll only need one cutter at Alpha, so there will be enough time to prepare.

...and so emo it hurts.
[Jan 22, 2007 1:50:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Cutters make me want to vomit. MBs will almost always beat a Cutter in any category, including pillaging. The only time you'll ever want to run a Cutter pillage instead of an MB is if you only have around 8-10 low level players (which isn't uncommon for greenie runs I suppose). If you have more than that many low level players or you have some high level players then you're better off on an MB.
[Jan 22, 2007 2:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

It's not as if anyone would force you to participate. Though if you would, it would certainly add to the challenge. Liek ZomG!!!1! shur's palying!!! I herd he can run a cutter on his pwn wiv both hands tied behind his back, guiding the mouse wiv his noes!!! - wut? pirates dont hav a noes!!! liek lolz!!!1eleven

But it would probably be too hard on the contestants, we'd have to make an exra rule for you. If you liked cutters, that is. :p

...and so emo it hurts.
[Jan 22, 2007 2:23:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Well I wasn't commenting about your event (I've run events with Cutters myself), I was just saying they suck the suckest of sucks. Cutters are good for Events if you want to handicap the contestants. So by all means, have a blast with them.
[Jan 22, 2007 2:30:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The only time I "ran" a cutter pillage was when I was drunk. I remember bnav'ing one or two to get us going, and then there was some /fo and random jobbing. I really don't remember how it all went, but I think the jobbers ended up with a couple of k, and I didn't have to dig into my pockets to restock.

Or maybe I did. I really don't remember. I think we all had fun; at least, I know I did. Someone else from PotD, that was there, would have to talk to it, I just can't remember much about it.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jan 22, 2007 2:47:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I've recently run a successful cutter pillage in Coral. But that was with mostly low level players. We faced one MB I think and the rest were cutters. We had 8 - 10 on board, or so. Pay was pretty decent considering the players on board.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jan 23, 2007 12:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I prefer a sloop or a MB to be honest, but I can do cutter pillages OK.

In fact, as long as you're fighting other cutters, it makes for a really easy pillage. Brigand cutters are absolutely no match for player cutters with a decent bilger and a good sailor.

You're still better off heading to a MB if you have more than 9 or are on a red route, but for a green mixed skill pillage it's possible to be successful.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jan 23, 2007 2:07:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

So, I have had reasonable success with cutter pillages with low end players (as Cire described). I purchased one recently in Diamond (I think possibly even the aforementioned one) and decided to take my chances when I had about 8-9 crewmates wanting to pillage. Just after passing the first league point we got engaged by a green imperial WB (note: that only about half this crew was high stat players, the rest just outside of green). That battle was disasterious, I did not have enough sail tokens, even with 3 on sails, and got majorly shot up. It took several leagues to get the damage down. The rest of the battles went smoothly, but pay was sub-par. I think after a few battles pay was just under 300 / pirate / battle but I could be wrong. Still though, I think it is the best recruitment pillage tool, since it's hard to keep a sloop afloat when you have a lot of greenies on board. With a cutter, you can have a good gunner and a good sailor or two, and still have plenty of room left for jobbers. Just stay away from anything other than green routes.
Sprngweather & Picory
[Jan 23, 2007 9:56:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Icutmyself

REPENT!!! ... errr, wait....

heh, *cough*, I meant

REJOICE!!! The event is upon us:

It's a race where time will be modified by booty won, so good pillaging is the way to win. For details clicky the linky.

You could win:

• 60,000 PoE and a renamed sloop, the Supersonic Bananafish (with a nice yellow/yellow paint job)
  • Runner-up prizes that total at 60,000 PoE and 250 rum/750 small cannonballs
  • Special Prize: 3,000 PoE if you win bananas from the banana boat
  • The Hard Pickerel, a tan/tan sloop that will be given away in a side competition

In case you want to challenge others, or tell them how much you will own them in this race, feel free to post here.

...and so emo it hurts.
[Jan 28, 2007 4:45:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I learned to bnav on a cutter in Ruby. And that's also where I learned to despise them as pillaging vehicles. Hard to fix, hard to sail, and they spawn enemies that vastly outshoot you but take a long time to be maxed with your piddling small balls. They can be pillaged, yes, but generally, it's a less pleasant experience than on any other ship type.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 28, 2007 6:00:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates