• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1219 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Rengor

Ideas for the commodities trade window Reply to this Post

I always thought the Trade Commodities window was kind awkward.
The drop down list is enormous now and abnoxious to flip through to check all commodities. Especially now that there's a much much larger amount of commodities to trade.

It bugs me that I have to flip back and forth between the inventory, to check what I have to sell, and the trade window to actually do the selling, since it's faster to check the inventory than clicking on every single commodity to see if you have it or not.

Also for every commodity there's usually only one or a few shops trading in that item so only the very top of the window is used.

I would like to have all the information in that window so I can just scroll thru them all and enter numbers for what i want to sell/buy.
I made an example of what i wanted:

The total column is +/- what you sell/buy. Once all numbers are in you can use the apply just like for price management in the shops.
Also it's a way to get the pretty commodity graphics shown! ;)
----------------------------------------
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 26, 2003 8:21:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: Ideas for the commodities trade window Reply to this Post

I agree that something must be done, things are so very hard to find these days. That UI you created looks like a good start... definitely something with graphics and better organization. Possibly sorting them into raw materials, dyes/clothes, and ship necessities.

Also, even if no one is selling/buying a commodity I would still like to see it in the menu... otherwise I continually search for it, not knowing wether I can't find it or if there's just none for sale.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 26, 2003 8:34:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I've actually just done some overhauling of the trading interface, which you can see here.

I would have liked to have broken things up by commodity and displayed the images in the interface, but that would require a great deal of custom UI work which I just don't have the time to do right now.

The new interface solves a lot of the problems and with judicious use of the up and down arrow keys, it's pretty darned fast to find out what you've got to sell and who's buying. I could conceivably display the amount you've got on hand in the list, but it would have to be repeated for the duplicate rows of each commodity.

I'd like to have "headers" for each commodity showing the image, how much you have, and how much you can fit in your hold.

There's no way to report errors in any sensible way if I were to allow batch trades like you've show. Imagine five trades working and five failing for some reason, where and how could I fit enough text in to explain what failed? In any case, I don't think that selecting the outlet with which you want to trade and entering the quantity is that much of a pain in the neck, so I'm unlikely to go through all the trouble of shaving a few seconds off of a process than only happens once every ten to twenty minutes for even the most active trader.

That said, it's a fine suggestion you've got there and I'm pleased to at least already be half way on top of it. Arr!
[May 26, 2003 9:32:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Hey much improved from the current version!

A couple of things I would like to add:

- The capacity oneliner with volume and weight.
- The On Hand column, even if the amount has to be repeated. There's other repeated values there anyway so it won't look bad. Or just display it for the first row. Or even an extra radio button to display the On Hand only, then you could squeeze in the delivery window too perhaps ;).
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 26, 2003 9:50:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

with that current interface, could you put shops buying commodies which you have in red text for instance? that way when we scroll down we can see right away who wants to buy what we have.

Is there any way you can put a few of the more needed items on top... such as cannon balls and rum/grog/swill?
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 26, 2003 11:27:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

- The capacity oneliner with volume and weight.

We display the total capacity that you can fit in your hold of the specified commodity down next to "On hand" (that's what that Storage capacity: 1000+ means).

Is there any way you can put a few of the more needed items on top... such as cannon balls and rum/grog/swill?

It's hard to say which commodities are going to be more important to which people. Rum and grog aren't very interesting to traders who probably care more about raw commodities. Plus you can filter on the sellers when you're looking to buy rum and grog and filter on the buyers when you're looking to sell commodities. Once you have a chance to try it, you may find that the sorting problem becomes less acute.
[May 26, 2003 12:03:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Einstein9073

Tree menus Reply to this Post

I suggest a tree of some sort for the items, similar to the Folder List in Windows Explorer.
This way, items could be grouped by type.

For Instance...
+ Liquor (3 items)
+-- Fine Rum
+-- Grog
+-- Swill

+ Cloth (72 zillion items)

+ Dye (4 items)

+ Dye materials (6 items)
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 27, 2003 2:58:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates