• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3478 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
stevoid

Re: What happened to all the npp's? Reply to this Post

Sorry - above post didn't make it very clear; I thought the academy a good idea for telling about how different duty puzzles affect the ship, the order of the rating systems etc - it could just be a quick tutorial of some kind, but people often aren't reading the alpha docs & forums.

And you'd possibly be surprised how many officers I've seen get a renowned sailor & then assign them to carpenting (when they're able at that..) either because they don't know how to assign them, or haven't known the order of the ratings. (Captain who went all over Alpha to replace a respected carpenter with a distinguished shall remain nameless ;-) )
[May 27, 2003 4:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Academy? Reply to this Post

The "Academy" just strikes against the theme of our game. That may be more personal than objective, but I'll hold off my reasons for some harder realities:

Everything in the game is (will be) run by players. The Navy Ships you see sailing about now will be fielded by the Flag that wants those waters patrolled and has a palace from which to command it. The trade ships are already replaced by player crews shipping goods from island to island. Shoppes are being shifted into the hands of players and soon they'll be able to build new ones, colonize islands and run empires.
Who is going to want to run the Academy? If someone is actually responsible for its operation it is much less reasonable. When players come to use it, any "wins" they have are meaningless and the only way the money can go is down the drain. If a crew (or Flag) wants to have such an institution, they'd be better off taking new players out on regular ships to ply the seas like everyone else. They'll lose many times, but anything they win they actually win, and there's no need to wire up a convoluted bathtub-warfare system.

edit (so many posts while I type!):There are now Training Ships where players can learn these things for free. Easy.

-Nemo
----------------------------------------
[May 27, 2003 4:15:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: Academy Reply to this Post

I envisioned something more like the intro pirate, explaining how damage slows the ship & lets in water, so there's no point in navigating until it's fixed etc...maybe when someone either creates their own crew, or gets promoted to officer (with an option to skip it) rather than anything along the training-ship-but-with-battles idea.
[May 27, 2003 4:22:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I always wanted that fluid PP/NPP mechanism ay. In the past I've wanted to have a couple NPP wanna-be's onboard that could take the place of planked or fleeing PPs. Then instead of having a limit of 7 on a small sloop, have a limit of 7 stations manned at any given time. That way there's room for the NPPs.
Say you have 3 on a small sloop. When you loose a pirate you can use one of the extras. And with 3 of them that should be enough to get back to port even if several PPs suddenly decide to flee.
They shouldn't be consuming rum on the trip. And they should just randomly be chosen and walk on themselves when the ship leaves port.

As for the NPPs on duty, I rarely have more than 3 onboard a small sloop. Maybe 4 on a large sloop and 7 on a brig?

One "good" is considered what? Ultimate? or Grandmaster to Ultimate or?

As for the training. I've noticed that even if all of our members become officers, several of them just don't dare to take a ship out themselves. Some say they don't want to embarras other players by doing poorly. Others can't afford the NPPs to go on their own, and yet others don't want to risk getting robbed at sea.
I'd like to see some change/addition to the current job training ship.
I would like it to be possible to do everything onboard except charting and firing. So that I go onboard and become the captain of the ship, take her out to sea (only on the training route) at no cost/risk/booty, try all the stations with NPPs to help out. Engage in sea battle with other ships on the route if both ships accept this.
That way I can get a feel for running a ship, keeping damage down, sailing to get tokens, loading cannons when there's time etc.
There could even be a rating for this training, so crews can check and see how much time a jobber has spent training.

Another nifty feature to use for training would be if you could act as an instructor and watch a PP's puzzles. That way I could instruct a crew member on how to create combos in the sailing puzzle or which order to load the cannons etc. Give some good tips. It doesn't take all that much before you get the hang of the puzzles and become much more efficient. The instructor could even have a feature to pause the puzzle and to take control of it him/herself to show how it's best done. Might take too much coding, but it would be nice ;)
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 27, 2003 4:36:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

We're not going to stop you fielding a crew of Ultimate *players*. That's your lookout -- or rather, the rest of the Sea's

I meant players to be inclusive; both NPP and PP.

So many posts that I had to go back and requote this one.
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[May 27, 2003 4:53:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

NPP attitudes:
By all means give the NPP's an attitude. Salty Betsy would almost definitely look down her nose at Salty Tim. After all, She "just beat that land lubber 3 times in a row... there's no way I'll sail with him" Or perhaps she doesn't like Stinky Brooke beacuse she "smells up the whole ship" This would allow you to get perhaps an ultimate/legendary/grandmaster in each sailing category. I can also see this getting annoying tho.

Jumping Ship:
I would like a bigger warning when someone jumps ship... half the time I don't notice and don't realize until we are in battle. I also don't like a penalty because some of the times I'll need to pop off to another character quickly to trade, or something... a delay would be most irrigating.

NPP Hiring:
Another idea, if you have NPP's congregate in one place, you can post a message on the NPP board. NPP's then would apply for a job. It's possible to make this into a sort of logic puzzle where you try to get the best NPP's without stepping on any toes... i.e. since Salty Betsy won't work with Salty Tim, you get an intersting set of relations to work around. This would also give you better feedback when you do hire so you konw right away that Tim won't work with Betsy... instead of clicking on all of them, checking stats then trying to hire... which could end up being very tedious.

NPP Limits:
As long as you set the relationships well, you won't need to set a limit because eventually you will only be able to get able NPP's... smaller crews will still need lots of NPP's every once in a while... transferring large amounts of $ for instance, they will want alot of pirates and/or NPP's. It would be a shame to discourage the smaller crews.

Acadamy:
It would be nice on the "no-pillaging" learning ship they told you some basics.. i.e. the larger the text, the better your rating at the end and the faster you sail, etc... as it is it's just as easy to go jobbing and earn $ while you're at it.

NPP crews for hire:
I like this idea, having crews from 3 to 7 (or more!) ready for you. Depending on their balance of skills, their price would rise or fall.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 27, 2003 5:20:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates