• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1055 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Trick

New chat type ? Reply to this Post

I created a new character today (Firebeard, arr), for better roleplaying, and while thinking about this i got an idea. Sometimes it is necessary to say things "out of character", things my new all-RP pirate Firebeard wouldn't say, but which my fellow pirates might be interested in hearing. Like, for example, "i'm off for a shower". Well, to be honest i don't know why my fellow pirates would be interested in hearing that, by i can assure you that Firebeard would never say such a thing, for any reason. There's better examples, like if you lose connection and have to explain to your captain why you suddenly left his/her ship.

Anyway, for this reason i propose a new chat mode, called fx. /ooc. This would be used for when i have to say such things, out of character. The text bubble could be some ethereal shape =)

Comments ?
----------------------------------------
Firebeard - flaming fear of the seven seas.
[May 25, 2003 12:50:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: New chat type ? Reply to this Post

I say nay, because in my experience, not everyone plays "in character", and even then, most of those play in character until they settle in with a crew, when it becomes a mixture.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement, but I would never, ever use it.

I can tell when people are speaking in and out of character, and don't need an extra indicator to tell me.
[May 25, 2003 11:51:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Aye Reply to this Post

I'm afraid that I agree with Homullus -- I don't think an OOC chat would be used much by people for its intended purpose. I also rather like people slipping back and forth between Piratey and OOC. That said, it wouldn't do any harm to have it in, so it's not out of the question...
[May 26, 2003 1:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Think of the double entendres!

I could see this being very handy, since the same exact text, like

"I need some booty."

Might mean one thing in gamespeak, but another in an /ooc bubble.

But, I'm not sure it wouldn't cause more confusion than anything else.
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[May 26, 2003 2:33:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trick

It was just an idea that popped into me head, really. Now that i've thought a bit about it, i don't think it would be used much, tho it has its uses. In any case, it's pretty easy to work around.
Firebeard - flaming fear of the seven seas.
[May 26, 2003 6:00:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates