• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1711 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
micklauer

Kingpriam's Treasure Hunters: The Sea Star [find it by Dec. 31, 10am PST]

Midnight Treasure Hunters:
The Sea Star

I will recall this treasure by December 31st, 10am PST

Please read the rules thoroughly before posting

~*~The Sea Star~*~

If you know all about the butterfly, and you know equally a lot about sideburns...then you'll have no problem finding this treasure in a lighthouse.

Good luck!

kp
----------------------------------------
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Dec 29, 2006 7:11:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Re: Kingpriam's Treasure Hunters: The Sea Star [find it by Dec. 31, 10am PST]

EDIT: When will you work again!!!?!??!?!??

Please PM what you think the treasure is to Paris_Priam...

We will continue this method a few more rounds. AGain, feel free to list your feed back on the new method...thanks :)

kp
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Dec 29, 2006 7:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Paris_Priam

Re:Kingpriam's Treasure Hunters: The Sea Star [find it by Dec. 31, 10am PST]

Another one?

Weeeeee! I'm finally getting work after the PotC series!

Thank the gods!

~Pp
I know I'm dreamy. I owe it all to my dad. By the way, I suck at acting.
[Dec 29, 2006 7:15:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Re: Re:Kingpriam's Treasure Hunters: The Sea Star [find it by Dec. 31, 10am PST]

I was embarassed to see that I'd missed this completely. So what was it?
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Jan 1, 2007 9:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Re: Re:Kingpriam's Treasure Hunters: The Sea Star [find it by Dec. 31, 10am PST]

I was embarassed to see that I'd missed this completely. So what was it?

Indeed, I missed it as well because my internet was down for the last few days, and I didn 't get on until... 2 hours after it ended.

Sad days.
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Jan 1, 2007 9:21:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

I missed it, too! lol Good luck to anyone who did manage to send Paris a PM. It looks like an interesting riddle.
Whedonella, Pirate of the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer of Piracy by Design
Princess of Pandora's Box
[Jan 1, 2007 9:59:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

The New years is upon us all! And I apologize for my tardiness, as I was in the moutains with no cell or internet reception...

But the wait is over and the results are in!

KP of Sea Star wrote: 
Midnight Treasure Hunters:
The Sea Star

I will recall this treasure by December 31st, 10am PST

Please read the rules thoroughly before posting

~*~The Sea Star~*~

If you know all about the butterfly, and you know equally a lot about sideburns...then you'll have no problem finding this treasure in a lighthouse.

Here is what some of you had to say:

Baldo wrote: 
Sideburns=Old Man's Beard
Butterflies=Butterfly Weed

They are available from the market place, which exists in a fort such as the Lighthouse on Scrimshaw Island on the Sage Ocean.

Both of these herbs are in Universal Hair Dye.

Budclare wrote: 
White because, according to wikipedia, "The Old English word for butterfly was buttorfleoge apparently because butterflies were thought to steal milk."

A mirror because people who have sideburns must spend a lot of time admiring the silly things in the mirror, and mirrors are conceptually similar to the lens that were used in lighthouses.

Adesh wrote: 
A butterfly flickers like a candle and sideburns can be many sizes and shortened at will. so I guess a fancy gold candle

Damienhiggin wrote: 
What is it A mirror

First the clue about the butterfly took me a while to link but i realized that all butterflies are symetrical meaning that if you sketched one you could use a mirror to draw the other half of it. The sideburns also was hard to link but when you are trimming/shaving sideburns you have to use a mirror to insure accuracy, and you will find mirrors in a lighthouse because they are used to refract the light into circles.

Also the title can refer to a mirror b/c if a mirror were to fall into the ocean it would reflect all light around it acting as a beacon for all fish t osee.

Calyx wrote: 
A lighthouse, eh? In the good ol' days, a lighthouse was nothing more than a tower with the lighthouse keeper and his kerosene lamp (well, and a clockwork assembly of lenses floating in mercury, but I don't see that in the furniture list). That fancy wall lamp looks awfully similar to a kerosene lamp, but what of the first part of the clue?

Butterflies and sideburns? My research shows that the term 'sideburns' comes from the hair stylings of a General Ambrose Burnside. Ambrose? Ambrosia?. The food of the gods, indeed. Many butterflies feed on the nectar of flowers, and hinting at nectar and ambrosia is all too fitting for a Phihellenist such as yourself. Or possibly another brilliant red herring that I was all too eager to eat.

Nectar, ambrosia, honey and amber...all have a rather golden color, much like the golden glow of a golden wall lamp.

The treasure? Color Wall Lamp
The color? Gold
General Burnside's hairdo? Ridiculous

THE RESULTS!!!

Well...with the new year and all, I really didn't expect anyone to turn out...so I'm pleased to see such well thought out answers...

Butterflies? Sideburns? There is something that's links these two things in a very clear and factual way. Their Etymology.

Butterfly was once "Flutterby".
Sideburns were once "Burnsides".

If you knew this, you could easily find the treasure in the word "Lighthouse"...

Yup. The answer was "House light"...and as Budclare pointed out, butterflies were once thought to steal milk...and most lighthouses have white colored bodies (for best visibilty)...

Final answer: White House Lamp

RUNNERS-UPS: Calyx, for being so close and having such a wonderfully different answer. And Baldo, for his very clever and inspiring (as in, for puzzles to come) in-game oragami. You both win replicas of the Sea Star.

Why the Sea Star? (Ficticious but fun backstory)

Many years ago, as I was traveling home to Troy, both Morpheus and Hypnos had a dispute over who was the true ruler of the night.

The fight began with words and broke out into a brawl of the gods. Subsequently, the night sky was washed black, and the stars by which we followed were wiped away in one foul swoop.

Days turned into weeks and hope was waning...suddenly, someone shouted they had seen a star in the distant horizon. I looked through my telescope, and lo and behold a single shining star peeking over the black horizon.

We followed it for days, until finally we reached the Island of XXXX ('tis a secret)...but as we came ashore, we saw that we had not followed a star of the sky...but a star of the sea. For the light had been shown from a light house. From then on, the bright guiding light of the lighthouse of XXXX was rightfully dubbed, "The Sea Star"...

KP

d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jan 1, 2007 11:26:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DiamondDog

Calyx wrote: 

The treasure? Color Wall Lamp
The color? Gold
General Burnside's hairdo? Ridiculous

Well, I guess close was good enough this time. Though I'm pretty sure I was at least slightly distracted by General Burnside's incredible good looks hair stylings. I mean...wouldn't you?

Look forward to the next one.

Sincerely,
Sideburns
Calyx
-Calyx on the Midnight Ocean
Carpe Noctem Wordsmith and Master of the Obscure

[Killer Avatar by the incomparable Kingpriam]
[Jan 2, 2007 3:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates