• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 759
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 217391 times and has 758 replies Next Thread
wrs1864b

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

And I conclude that YARRG isn't working, or isn't being used, or something.

YARRG is used on midnight, cobalt and ice. Since the YARRG uploader (by default) also updates the PCTB database, using it helps both websites. Sadly, right now, the PCTB uploader *doesn't* update YARRG. For Cobalt at least, the majority of updates to PCTB come from my use of YARRG.

If you want to test out to see how YARRG works on real data, check a blue ocean.

I hear that there is a new java uploader being worked on that, like the YARRG uploader, will update both websites, but unlike either the YARRG or PCTB uploader, it will be portable. My understanding is that this new java uploader is different than the one that burninator(?) had developed, but never released.

Mind you, I'm not really involved in the development of any of these projects, I'm just a happy user of YARRG. The trade/route options on PCTB were never as good as PCT and were generally useless to me, so all I used PCTB for was the commodity data. Now that I have better tools of my own, I don't use PCTB much at all.

Edit: just for giggles, I updated the Ibis arch of sage, so you can play with that data now too.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Feb 6, 2010 7:40:01 AM]
[Feb 6, 2010 7:04:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

Thank you.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 6, 2010 10:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Feature request: I want to be able to review an island's trade market. I want to be able to see all the commodities (or a given section) for trade at a market. I'd like to be able to limit this to "Best buy/Best sell, and total quantity at that price". And, if the data supports it, see what the prices used to be in the past.

This falls into the "When the V6 GUI gets written" pile. Unless someone out there knows JS and wants to help, in which case we can do all sorts of great stuff sooner than when I find the time to rewrite in PHP.

The historical information, on the other hand, is very, very unlikely. The current database schema drops vast swaths of data whenever an update happens, absolutely nothing gets kept. And this was my second highest priority when I started taking over the project, lower only than getting things updated for new commodities.
[Feb 8, 2010 2:42:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

I keep finding that Midnight ocean islands are being updated, but there is no trade information that can be retrieved. On Friday 2/12 between 7-8 pirate time emerald, diamond, some of jet were updated but there is no information. I have tried accessing on two different computers with different platforms (Mac and Windows).

What causes this? Is it related to how people are uploading data? I can go in and update an island afterwards and it works fine.

Samjones
Midnight ocean
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Feb 12, 2010 11:52:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I keep finding that Midnight ocean islands are being updated, but there is no trade information that can be retrieved.

I can go in and update an island afterwards and it works fine.

My first guess is that when it was updated, there actually were no profitable trades to be had. You can check that there is actual data in there by looking for commodities to buy and sell - those are always around.

Thing is, the trade information screen is pulling only from those trades that will be profitable, even if only 1 poe. If there aren't any of those, there's nothing to see. If someone goes around and trades everything out, THEN updates...
[Feb 13, 2010 4:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

Now almost the entire Midnight ocean has no trade routes so what is that 40 islands? I think someone is messing with the data. ( update was last made around 5:30 AM pirate time, on the 14th)

Please if you update PCTB immediately check to see if it has updated correctly.

If I go back and update then the information gets uploaded.

Samjones
Midnight Ocean
Samjones (All oceans)

[Feb 14, 2010 10:35:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Now almost the entire Midnight ocean has no trade routes so what is that 40 islands? I think someone is messing with the data.

I wonder if this might be a bug in the YARRG uploader, it appears that most of the islands on midnight have most recently been updated via it, rather than the PCTB uploader. It is nice that the YARRG uploader updates both websites, it is nice that YARRGs is under fairly active development, it isn't so nice when bugs pop up.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 15, 2010 5:44:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

If I upload the data it is with using the PCTb updater on a Windows system and the data is updated correctly (many items with possible trade routes which I verify to execute trades).

Samjones
Samjones (All oceans)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by escooper at Feb 15, 2010 11:51:10 AM]
[Feb 15, 2010 11:37:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

If I upload the data it is with using the PCTb updater on a Windows system and the data is updated correctly (many items with possible trade routes which I verify to execute trades).

Right... I bet it is someone *else* using the YaRRG client that is killing the data. Fortunately, the PCTB client is sort of self-healing - no matter how mashed the data is, when you upload new it just dumps all the garbage and moves on.
[Feb 28, 2010 5:22:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Right... I bet it is someone *else* using the YaRRG client that is killing the data. Fortunately, the PCTB client is sort of self-healing - no matter how mashed the data is, when you upload new it just dumps all the garbage and moves on.

I've been using the most current production version of the YARRG uploader on Cobalt, and it has been working fine. The vast majority of PTCB updates on Cobalt are from YARRG. Is the data still being smashed on Midnight? Or, was this an one-time occurrence?

But, yes, it is nice that both PTCB and YARGG are self-healing.
[Mar 1, 2010 4:32:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

I've been using the most current production version of the YARRG uploader on Cobalt, and it has been working fine. The vast majority of PTCB updates on Cobalt are from YARRG. Is the data still being smashed on Midnight? Or, was this an one-time occurrence?

It happens all the time, almost every day and it is very frustrating as emerald and diamond arches are updated the most.

Does the YARRG also update commodity bid prices? I notice that they do not get updated for a very long time (weeks). If I use PCTwB, then I have to choose to do it.

Samjones
Midnight Ocean
Samjones (All oceans)

[Edit 2 times, last edit by escooper at Mar 2, 2010 9:03:40 AM]
[Mar 2, 2010 9:02:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

No longer have access to PCTwB. Restricted from accessing site due to anonymous proxies.

Samjones
Samjones (All oceans)

[Jun 8, 2010 8:27:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

Is the source for this available for anything higher than version 5.0.25 ? The link that sends you to the "source" for 0.30 from the website just sends you to another version of the installer.

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Jul 16, 2010 9:03:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spelunk

It happens all the time, almost every day and it is very frustrating as emerald and diamond arches are updated the most.

Does the YARRG also update commodity bid prices? I notice that they do not get updated for a very long time (weeks). If I use PCTwB, then I have to choose to do it.

Samjones
Midnight Ocean

As of today, data is still being buggered for Midnight. Any chance of one of the people working on YARRG looking into this and seeing what IS happening to the data?
[Jul 16, 2010 9:14:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Source is available at pctb2.sourceforge.net. Looks like I didn't create a source zip when I created the version 5.0.30 install package. I just created one and it is available now on sourceforge. Source code can also be obtained via SVN from the sourceforge site as well (and that has been up to date since the 5.0.30 release).

Yuhu on Sage
[Jul 17, 2010 9:46:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

As of today, data is still being buggered for Midnight. Any chance of one of the people working on YARRG looking into this and seeing what IS happening to the data?

Algol sent me a pm last night pointing me at this thread. I'm looking into it.
[Aug 27, 2010 12:22:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

Yes, it turns out that this is the fault of the beta jpctb yarrg uploader. Obviously we didn't test the pctb part of the uploader enough. I'm very sorry.

I've updated the version of our beta uploader to disable the pctb functionality for now, and arranged for the yarrg server to reject updates from old clients to force people to upgrade. I think that should be enough to stop this happening.

I'm about to go and do a full-ocean upload for Midnight using the production yarrg ocr uploader. As I say, I'm very sorry and I'm also sorry that I didn't hear about this sooner! I'll add this thread to my watchlist to make sure I spot problems next time.
[Aug 27, 2010 1:12:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

I have now updated the yarrg jpctb uploader so that it actually uploads sane data to pctb, rather than trashing everything there. Sorry about that.

After all that is perhaps not the best time to try to plug a new piece of software, but if anyone would like to try out the new uploader you can find it here: http://yarrg.chiark.net/upload

It's much faster than the OCR-based uploaders. We have Linux and Windows versions; a Mac version would be a possibility but needs some attention from a Mac expert. It only does commodity data and not bids; we don't know whether getting bid data via the same approach would be possible even in principle.

Please post bug reports and other feedback here, email us, or talk to Aristarchus on Midnight.
[Aug 27, 2010 4:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

I'm pleased to announce Jarrg, a data uploader for YARRG and PCTB. This is the first non-beta release of the uploader formerly known as yarrg jpctb. You can find full details at: http://yarrg.chiark.net/upload

Jarrg uploads market data to both the YARRG and PCTB servers, when used with the default settings. See http://yarrg.chiark.net or the the YARRG thread for information about the YARRG commodity database.

I haven't tried the PPAOCR v5 Windows PCTB uploader but I'm pretty confident that Jarrg is much much faster. In my performance tests on Admiral Island with a 5-year-old laptop, Jarrg needs exclusive use of the YPP game client for under half a second.

In my tests on Admiral the whole process takes 26 seconds of which 21 seconds are waiting for the PCTB server to accept the uploaded data, but while that's happening you can interact normally with your YPP client without disturbing the upload. It's much faster on smaller islands (2.2s for Midsummer on Midnight), or if you use the control panel to turn off uploading to PCTB and send to YARRG only (6.2s for Admiral, 1.3s for Midsummer).

As I wrote before, Jarrg supports Linux and Windows; MacOS is probably a relatively straightforward port to do but we don't have any Mac systems for testing ourselves.

Please post bug reports and other feedback here, email us, or talk to a Fleet Officer or above of Special Circumstances on Midnight.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aristarchus at Sep 12, 2010 1:35:21 PM]
[Sep 12, 2010 1:34:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

I'm pleased to announce Jarrg 1.0.4. This is a bugfix release, for the following problems:

• On Windows, if you never used the Jarrg Control Panel, it would default to uploading to the testing servers rather than the live servers.
  • If you sailed a ship from one island to another, and then tried to do an upload from the ship's hold (without disembarking and reembarking) Jarrg would mistake the vessel name for the island name, and fail.
Full details, including the download links, can be found at http://yarrg.chiark.net/upload, as above.
[Jan 3, 2011 7:50:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Is there any reason to use the old PPAOCR uploader rather than the newer, java-based JARRG uploader for PCTB? I notice that the yppedia page for PCTB still points to the older uploader. The "help" option on the PCTB website appears to be broken, but I suspect that if it was fixed, it would also still talk about the older uploader.
[Jan 3, 2011 9:25:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aristarchus

Is there any reason to use the old PPAOCR uploader rather than the newer, java-based JARRG uploader for PCTB?

I don't know of a reason. I haven't tried PPAOCR (since I don't run Windows) but the Java uploader is intended to replace the OCR-based clients.

I notice that the yppedia page for PCTB still points to the older uploader. The "help" option on the PCTB website appears to be broken, but I suspect that if it was fixed, it would also still talk about the older uploader.

I would love it if the PCTB maintainers would like to refer pirates to my uploader as well as or instead of PPAOCR.
[Jan 8, 2011 8:27:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Is there any reason to use the old PPAOCR uploader rather than the newer, java-based JARRG uploader for PCTB?

I've been trying to come up with an answer to this other than: "no".

I would love it if the PCTB maintainers would like to refer pirates to my uploader as well as or instead of PPAOCR.

As soon as I find the cycles to figure out why the help page is broken, I'll look into this as well.
[Jan 10, 2011 11:19:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiriusKase

As I wrote before, Jarrg supports Linux and Windows; MacOS is probably a relatively straightforward port to do but we don't have any Mac systems for testing ourselves.

I have a Mac and would like to help with the port if you still need help. It should be easy since most Macs run Unix which is very similar to Linux. If it makes things easier, my Mac is Intel based which means I can boot in Windows or Linux if I'd like, but I'd rather not unless it helps with the porting project.

I'm usually Siriuskase on Viridian. Or, you can email me at Siriuskase@gmail.com
Siriuskase in all oceans

Viridian: IM stall on Napi Peak
Weaving stalls on Napie Peak and Lima
Distilleries on Lima, Windward Vale, and Jubilee
[Feb 28, 2011 10:51:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It should be easy since most Macs run Unix which is very similar to Linux

Actually, Unix is a registered trademark of The Open Group; only systems fully compliant with and certified to the Single UNIX Specification qualify as "UNIX" (others are called "Unix system-like" or "Unix-like").

What you have in MacOS X and Linux is a POSIX-compliant system. Each has varying degrees of POSIX compliance and extensions to the POSIX standards, and it is these extensions which cause a lot of incompatibilities among them, for instance, case sensitivity in the filesystem (Apple's HFS defaults to case-insensitive.) That is the kind of thing to watch out for when porting.

MacOS X itself is based on the Mach kernel, with elements from FreeBSD and NetBSD incorporated in NeXTSTEP.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Feb 28, 2011 12:23:48 PM]
[Feb 28, 2011 12:22:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
SiriusKase

WTF, I have Darwin, not that it matters. All I need is source, make, etc. I hope the next answer is more useful.
Siriuskase in all oceans

[Mar 1, 2011 11:55:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiriusKase

Sorry for so quick, I'm a technologist, not a lawyer. Like just about everyone else I know, I call all Unix - like OS's Unix. Only Valley Girls stick like into their sentences when it's not necessary, and I don't mean Silicon. If I was writing a manual, I'd have my lawyer proof read it and he'd fix that sort of thing.

If you can direct me to the source, I'd be very thankful.
Siriuskase in all oceans

[Mar 1, 2011 12:05:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

If you can direct me to the source, I'd be very thankful.

See: http://yarrg.chiark.net/devel

As far as Unix goes, some former .signature's of mine from ca 1994:
UNIX:  Any of a collection of similar operating systems that you can run
the programming language 'perl' on.
SVR4:  A not very popular clone of the highly successful Linux
operating system.
(In 1994, most in the computer business (rather than hackers) were still pooh-poohing Linux, but were beginning to get quite defensive that "real" unix might be eclipsed by it.)
[Mar 1, 2011 12:39:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spelunk

Only thing I can see is that the older client DOES support the bid info as well, while the new one is purely for the buy / sell side.
[Mar 1, 2011 4:29:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Publandlord

Only thing I can see is that the older client DOES support the bid info as well, while the new one is purely for the buy / sell side.

Yes, that's right - although there is no reason why support for the bid info could not be added to the new client by anyone with sufficient time and interest. I'm sure Ian would be happy to accept patches!
Anaplian, Shadow Riders, Midnight Ocean
[Mar 2, 2011 11:54:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates