• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 759
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 176446 times and has 758 replies Next Thread
chook_fowler

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

Please note this relates to the Midnight Ocean:

I often spend 1/2 an hour updating the entire Midnight ocean when I'm bored as the rewards always outweigh the effort, but the other night I encountered a problem I couldn't deal with.

The fort on Remora on Midnight was cleaned out prior to a blockade and after the blockade there was NO information for the data upload at the fort, therefore I couldn't update anything. Is it possible to fix the uploader so I can upload "nothing" where no data exists instead of the website showing the data is days old?

[edit]
Also, every time I try and read either Cranberry or Eta commodities for an upload they always strain or fail to complete. These are the only two islands I ever have problems with (commod NOT bid). The rest work exactly as expected and there are a lot of islands on Midnight that have more commods than those two so I don't understand why they groan under the pressure.

cheers.

chook fowler
midnight
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by chook_fowler at Nov 9, 2009 3:59:16 AM]
[Nov 9, 2009 3:51:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

Blank data is a known issue and is due to a limitation in the server side code. The server side code doesn't currently support uploading a data file that has no commods in it and doesn't provide a way for the client to indicate that an island does not have any commodities listed. So, this needs to be fixed on the server and then I can modify the client to allow it.

I only play on dub oceans so I can't try scanning Cranberry or Eta. Is there anything obviously different or unique about these two islands? How does it fail to complete? Does it start the scrolling process or does it not get that far? If it is scrolling it should scroll one page at a time but towards the end it will scroll one line at a time... does it get confused and scroll one line at a time the whole way through and thus take a lot longer? If you put the client in debug mode (from Tools menu) and then get it to reproduce the problem then you can upload the files that are in AppData\PPAOCR directory as a defect report to sourceforge.net\projects\pctb2 and I can take a look at it to see if I can figure out what might be wrong. Also what version of the client are you using?

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 9, 2009 6:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

This type situation where there is nothing for the commods market to list is common when it's an outpost that is caded. You can test on any dub ocean when an outpost has changed hands, within an hour or 2 of the new governor taking over.

Outposts have no separate market, unlike meds or larges, so the only commodities on hand are those the islands governors have stocked the fort with.

I've seen it a lot on Viridian, and the way Viridian has been blockading lately it's sure to happen regularly.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Nov 9, 2009 8:40:28 AM]
[Nov 9, 2009 8:38:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Adrianalidh,

Technically outposts will also have what the single shop is stocked with, but I admit when an outpost is blockaded this is also likely t obe emptied out.

Yuhu,

You should be able to test the cranberry and eta issue. An unsubbed alt can go the the market and list the items from there (ok you might need to earn 150 poe to get a whisk potion and then hop on a navy ship if you can't find anyone to whisk you)
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Nov 9, 2009 11:22:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Also, every time I try and read either Cranberry or Eta commodities for an upload they always strain or fail to complete. These are the only two islands I ever have problems with (commod NOT bid). The rest work exactly as expected and there are a lot of islands on Midnight that have more commods than those two so I don't understand why they groan under the pressure.

I'm not sure either, particularly since I can't reproduce your problem. In attempting it, I did notice that from a ship Cranberry scans almost 2x faster than going in to the market on land. No idea why. But both islands did work either way for me.
[Nov 9, 2009 1:53:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Thanks for the info, somehow i never realized I could do that on subscriber oceans.

I just tried scanning Eta and Cranberry several times and so far can't reproduce the problem.

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 9, 2009 9:47:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chook_fowler

The Midnight - Cranberry and Eta slow data record rate Reply to this Post

Im using the latest client.

These two islands (Cranberry and Eta on Midnight) usually complete but they really groan about doing it. It's like someone pushes the pause button during the downloads. I always start at the Ruby archipelago and thought it was that reason, but if I start on any other island on that archipelago and then go to eta or cranberry, they still groan. Sometimes you have to download them multiple times after checking the data. Strange I only ever have problems with those two islands, never any of the others.

Chook
[Nov 10, 2009 4:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Re: The Midnight - Cranberry and Eta slow data record rate Reply to this Post

So is it the upload part of the process that is slow or is it the scanning part that is slow? What screen size/resolution are you using and what size for the Puzzle Pirates window are you using so I can try to duplicate it. Also what OS? I'll do some more experimenting today.

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 10, 2009 6:08:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bentacore

Warning: file_get_contents(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Warning: file_get_contents(http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Dragon%27s_Nest_%28Viridian%29): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /hsphere/local/home/signetst/pctb.crabdance.com/upload.php on line 611 Couldn't read the island YPPedia page

Same issue for Dragon's nest on viridian. Do we have any way to fix or circumvent this?

/me is based of of DN so not having current market data is a little annoying.

Further info! I tried uploading DN's Bid data and that worked fine, other islands I've tried have worked fine.

If it matters I'm running Vista with PP at 800x600x16 bit.

::Edit:: Why does it work for bid data and not commods? Is there something diffrent about the way the prog handles the yppedia check for commods?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bentacore at Nov 10, 2009 12:01:50 PM]
[Nov 10, 2009 11:47:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Why does it work for bid data and not commods? Is there something diffrent about the way the prog handles the yppedia check for commods?

Dramatically different, yes. For commods it just has to check that the stuff really spawns there. For bid data it's checking all of the shop names. Are these recently colonized? The spawns were set when the island was created, the stuff built on it is new (if they're recent colonies)
[Nov 11, 2009 9:11:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bentacore

Ermm Dragon's nest isn't a fairly new island. Been round for a while.
I've been trying to get someone to try and upload the data for me and I can't find anyone, but the data age has been changed since I first noticed the error, which means someone somewhere can upload for DN.
[Nov 11, 2009 9:35:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I just tried uploading Dragon's Nest on Viridian and got the same error message from the server when using the version 5.30 client. Seems like there is definately something wrong. Has the Yppedia page format changed at all or incorrect for this island as compared to what it expects for parsing on the server?

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 11, 2009 7:35:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Aside from a change to the link for one of the houses back in July (it needed disambiguating), the article for Dragon's Nest on Viridian hasn't even been touched since 2007, never mind had a change in format. Maybe the disambiguation for the house is confusing it, but I doubt that somewhat - it makes no difference to the appearence of the page. If that were going to confuse it, then all of the other disambiguated links would confuse it too.
[Nov 11, 2009 8:35:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Aside from a change to the link for one of the houses back in July (it needed disambiguating), the article for Dragon's Nest on Viridian hasn't even been touched since 2007

Yeah, looking in to the error message I'm wondering if our hosting provider either upgraded PHP or changed a parameter in php.ini. The behavior changed not too long before the version we have running. We're looking in to it.
[Nov 12, 2009 6:21:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Yeah, looking in to the error message I'm wondering if our hosting provider either upgraded PHP or changed a parameter in php.ini. The behavior changed not too long before the version we have running. We're looking in to it.

Could someone having problems with DN please try again?
[Nov 12, 2009 7:58:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Still not working. Same error message about the file_get_contents function.

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 13, 2009 5:18:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brandishwar

Still not working. Same error message about the file_get_contents function.

Yuhu on Sage

Time to follow the suggestion I gave back in February?
On Viridian as Arcturis, Captain of The Rum Running Dragons and King of Demons and Damsels
[Nov 13, 2009 11:19:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Time to follow the suggestion I gave back in February?

Time to use something that doesn't require that particular opening in PHP. Your suggestion is in the works, BUT is a complete rewrite of the upload code and as such will not be available as a fix for this in the short term.

I can now guarantee that the allow_url_fopen setting is the problem, as the dev box allows it and the prod box does not.
[Nov 13, 2009 11:40:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bentacore

I'm glad to know that this error is being worked on. ;) Is there anyway I can help? Short of testing the new build when it's out?
[Nov 13, 2009 12:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I'm glad to know that this error is being worked on. ;) Is there anyway I can help? Short of testing the new build when it's out?

I've got new code up on the dev site, and assuming someone kicks it to make sure it isn't just totally broken I'll push it to prod in the next day or two. I'll post here when it's up.

The next bit will be testing the V6 client and server, but I've only just started the ball rolling on that. We will need testers when we get there, which I'm guessing will be some time in December if we're lucky.

The biggest client-side change that will be visible will be the complete lack of user interaction required for uploading data. Click on "scan", click on "upload". No more selecting the island and all that junk. After that I'm going to start rewriting the web page itself, 'cause the code is nearly impossible to maintain.
[Nov 13, 2009 1:08:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I've got new code up on the dev site, and assuming someone kicks it to make sure it isn't just totally broken I'll push it to prod in the next day or two. I'll post here when it's up.

It doesn't seem to make things any worse than they were, so I pushed it. Give it a try and see if I've fixed things.
[Nov 13, 2009 9:54:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I just tried uploading from Dragon's Nest on Viridian and it appears to be working now.

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 15, 2009 6:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bentacore

I just tried uploading from Dragon's Nest on Viridian and it appears to be working now.

So I haven't updated my PP ORC, but when I tried to upload DN today it worked fine. Something serverside change? Or does the ORC auto update?
Regardless I can now actually do some trading. Thanks mates. ^_^

::Edit::the word now contains a W doh!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bentacore at Nov 16, 2009 8:22:47 AM]
[Nov 16, 2009 8:21:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zay_bex

'Scuse me for being such a greenie, but where is the Upload the Data button on the PPAOCR?

Edit: Closed and reopened the program, and now there are words in the Upload tab. There were none there before - I swear - it's a simple enough program to have not missed this.
Zaybex of Sage

Officer of the close-knit crew The Usual Suspects, independents
[Edit 1 times, last edit by zay_bex at Nov 22, 2009 1:16:39 AM]
[Nov 22, 2009 1:08:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://zaybex.com/ypp/ [Link]  Go to top 
shawn007

Currently uploading Wensleydale of Sage results in an unfound error
Shawnthgreta of Sage
Former Prince of HE
Forme SO of YWN
FO of JFF
[Nov 29, 2009 10:49:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I just tried it and it appears to be working for me. What client/version are you using and is it still reproducible?

Yuhu on Sage
[Nov 29, 2009 4:29:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

Midnight ocean data seems to be corrupted for several islands after updates are made. It gets to where there are no trade routes displayed.

As of 12/3 3AM game time Coral arch and part of Emerald arch are examples.

Samjones
Midnight ocean
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Dec 3, 2009 3:12:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Bump

Feature request: I want to be able to review an island's trade market. I want to be able to see all the commodities (or a given section) for trade at a market. I'd like to be able to limit this to "Best buy/Best sell, and total quantity at that price". And, if the data supports it, see what the prices used to be in the past.

I'm looking to
1. Avoid having to whisk just to see what things are priced at,
2. Get historical information
3. Be able to copy/paste into another file
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 4, 2010 8:24:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Feature request: I want to be able to review an island's trade market. I want to be able to see all the commodities (or a given section) for trade at a market. I'd like to be able to limit this to "Best buy/Best sell, and total quantity at that price". And, if the data supports it, see what the prices used to be in the past

I this can be a very useful feature. I actually have some stuff very similar to this developed, based on the YARRG OCR program and a bunch of ugly bash shell scripts, that I'm slowly converting to slightly less ugly perl scripts. Not only are these programs too ugly to release, but I'm changing them fairly frequently as I learn what exactly it is that would be most useful.

Maybe your feature request will motivate me to clean these up and put them in a form others can use. The updates, however, would probably be put into YARRG instead of PCTB, since YARRG is so much better already.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 5, 2010 4:46:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Well, when i check out YAARGH, I see this:

Market data age
Archipelago Island Age
Gull Admiral Island 97 days
Gull Basset Island 97 days
Gull Wensleydale 122 days

Time since this page loaded: (not known; times above not updating)

And I conclude that YARRG isn't working, or isn't being used, or something.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 5, 2010 9:43:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates