• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 759
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 217385 times and has 758 replies Next Thread
barlennan

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

If you see any activity on pctb.crabdance.com that leads anywhere BUT pctb.crabdance.com (including other site scripts being blocked via NoScript or AdBlockPro or similar programs/utilities, or you see that the site is 'connecting to...' another site), please PM me IMMEDIATELY. I may know about it, I may not, but I frequent the forums here often enough again that I can do something about it very quickly. pctb.crabdance.com does not use ANY other site for scripts (exception being yppedia to look up island information, if I understand the script correctly), but that should only occur within the OCR client, not the website itself.

To reiterate, we use no sites outside of pctb.crabdance.com and YPPedia. None. Any references to other sites is a problem, they are NOT intentional. And all we're doing with YPPedia is looking stuff up, no scripts or such.

And I've dug through that part of the code _thoroughly_ at this point, so I'm very certain of this.
[Feb 27, 2009 6:18:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Re: Pirate Commodity Trader... with Bleach! A new 3rd party tool Reply to this Post

since the ocr client is communicating with a database, could it be a sql injection???

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms161953.aspx

Actually, I don't believe it's possible for this to be SQL injection. Those sorts of attacks mangle database contents and can stuff executable junk (js, php, etc) into database tables so the right queries can be forced to execute them... assuming things aren't quoted correctly.

1) The development system is running a newer version of mysql than production, which is more picky about quoting. We had to meet the more stringent requirements of dev to make it work at all. This eliminates most SQL injection vectors, because the injected junk will just get added to the database like any other data, which is harmless.

2) There is no place where what you type or put into a URL turns directly into a SQL statement other than SELECT. Lots of SELECTs, but to INSERT there's processing involved that would get very, very unhappy with random junk.

3) The actual bit of code that is getting stuffed in is appearing in index.php, not the database. As far as I can tell from the database dumps we did at one point, nothing is getting in there at all. It would be *really* obvious.

And I'm really hoping I'm right. *crosses fingers*
[Feb 28, 2009 9:56:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Mostly correct, but just because there aren't any commands beyond SELECT doesn't mean that an injection couldn't mess things up -- ANY kind of manipulation, even queries, are subject; the injection would just terminate the current query and start a new one (for example, INSERT, DELETE or DROP).

Also, and I don't know how, but I think there are ways to manipulate websites through SQL -- I think it has something to do with the fact that a connection is established from the website to the server, which you can then cross from SQL to Apache or whatever the case may be to manipulate things in there. Probably not right, but that's my best guess in any case.
----------------------------------------
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Feb 28, 2009 8:00:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Harrlokk

I've never done web stuff. Most of my code involved communicating from a workstation to the various back end systems. Getting approval responses for credit/debit cards was probably the worst since there was 5+ systems you had to go through. Throw in SOX, PCI, encryption, PAN and it gets worse.

Anyway came across this link for how to hack apache through mysql. Doesn't mean I understand it though... :)

http://www.dataloss.net/papers/how.defaced.apache.org.txt
[Mar 2, 2009 8:44:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

XKCD
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Mar 2, 2009 11:32:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

XKCD

That's only a problem if you don't quote everything properly. Or, as Randal Monroe puts it, "sanitize your database inputs."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by barlennan at Mar 4, 2009 9:37:19 AM]
[Mar 3, 2009 4:53:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

A minor server-side issue, I don't think the server code has been updated since the cutter hold capacity was changed.

Current capacities for a cutter are:
Mass 40,500
Volume 60,750
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Mar 5, 2009 5:08:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

I'll check the cutter information in the database manually. I should be able to change it without any problems.

Meanwhile, I do regret to inform you that recently pctb.crabdance.com has been hit HARD with a hack. This is very different from the last few problems that have been reported -- it has propagated through to just about every page that I have looked at.

While I wish I can say that I can clean this up quickly, it may or may not be possible, as I have a lot of things on my plate right now.

Because of this, I have temporarily closed access to the main pctb.crabdance.com website, and have put a note saying such up in it's place. Most people will not be able to use PCTB through the web interface. However, the upload client WILL STILL WORK, and I have checked it thoroughly to ensure it is clean. Meanwhile, I am going to take steps that, until I feel this problem is completely clean, nobody can access the website, yet still allow the upload client to work.

This problem should be resolved in a day or two, and I will post to that effect when it is. We are also looking into many possible solutions to the latest hackings of the site, but as of yet none of our solutions have succeeded.

Thank you for your patience while we deal with this newest problem.
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Mar 5, 2009 8:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
maxdsterling

Perhaps you should consider moving the site to a new service? Since I believe this would be the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen this site be compromised.

It may also be a good time to start shuffling passwords (unless this hack got root access, then not even passwords will help).
Silverspoon
Retired Senior Officer of The Eternal Hydrae
Echidna's Children
[Mar 6, 2009 12:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

To be completely honest, this has happened a lot more than just the few times. When it had happened in the past, I was able to catch and fix it before anybody was able to notice; since I've started school again, though, my schedule has been a little off on being able to do that. To clarify, this isn't a problem with the host, and changing hosts won't fix the problem. I have been in contact with the host, to help get this sorted: he knows this has been a problem for some time, and has been helping in every way he can.

I do know what the problem is now, and I am working on fixing it. I'll start working on cleaning the site now, and the next chance I get some free time (a lot of stuff needs to be cleaned). It should be all cleaned up by tonight, though, assuming all goes well.

----------------------------------

Edit: the problem has [finally] been identified and fixed. I was luck enough to convince the host to give me access to the daily backups of the site, and restored the site to it's state as of two days ago. Cleaned up the hacking that was made at that time (that was the easy one), and took a few other measures to prevent this from happening again. Hopefully it won't.

However, if it does, the previous request that you let me know is still in place.

The site is back up and working. And... I'll get that cutter thing fixed here right before I head off to work.
Midnight Ocean

[Edit 3 times, last edit by KingOfZeal at Mar 6, 2009 9:23:57 AM]
[Mar 6, 2009 6:02:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

The client does not upload empty markets. Currently Bassets@sage does not have any commodity trades availiable but this can't be updated.

If a scan sucessfully gets an empty scan an upload should be possilbe (evtl. with an additional confirmation dialog9.
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Mar 8, 2009 3:29:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

The client does not upload empty markets. Currently Bassets@sage does not have any commodity trades availiable but this can't be updated.

If a scan sucessfully gets an empty scan an upload should be possilbe (evtl. with an additional confirmation dialog9.

How does it fail?
[Mar 8, 2009 8:10:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I have submitted a defect on this to the sourceforge project along with details. It looks like this will likely require fixes in both the client and server code. The upload client doesn't let the user upload "blank" data right now and also the server side does not appear to support it either (it wouldn't accept the blank data when I tried it after bypassing the client checks because there are no shops in the data and therefore it fails the test that compares against expected shops for that island).

Thanks for reporting this.

Yuhu on Sage
[Mar 8, 2009 10:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sexysmurf

I was just wondering if someone could update the Yppedia page? I know some people who are familiar with the tool but do not read forums and are not aware of all the changes that have been made.

Also, the client still has the note about pressing ctrl-c to copy bid data even tho this is no longer needed. Just thought I'd mention it for removal from future releases to avoid confusion.
Candlewench
SO The Order of the Phoenix
Princess of Resurrection
Cobalt ocean

Awesome avatar by Orch
[Mar 9, 2009 11:43:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

I was just wondering if someone could update the Yppedia page? I know some people who are familiar with the tool but do not read forums and are not aware of all the changes that have been made.

Also, the client still has the note about pressing ctrl-c to copy bid data even tho this is no longer needed. Just thought I'd mention it for removal from future releases to avoid confusion.

Two good points. The YPPedia page is updated now, and the change to get rid of the Ctrl-C message is sent off to KingOfZeal so he can put it into production.
[Mar 9, 2009 1:22:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Two good points. The YPPedia page is updated now, and the change to get rid of the Ctrl-C message is sent off to KingOfZeal so he can put it into production.

All taken care of. I don't know what happened earlier, but somehow we lost the headers on the main page (with links to summary, commodities, route, etc), so had to take care of that before I could do the fix. It's all settled now though.
Midnight Ocean

[Mar 9, 2009 3:33:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

All taken care of. I don't know what happened earlier, but somehow we lost the headers on the main page (with links to summary, commodities, route, etc), so had to take care of that before I could do the fix. It's all settled now though.

That happens to me when I forget to allow JS for crabdance.com. I suppose if you were to remove the JS init lines from the index.html it would cause that, too.
[Mar 9, 2009 3:37:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

That happens to me when I forget to allow JS for crabdance.com. I suppose if you were to remove the JS init lines from the index.html it would cause that, too.

I do know about that, but I don't know how they got removed -- I looked at the main index page and it was all there, and double checked my browser as well to make sure it wasn't being blocked; it was pulling up an element of about:blocked though, so I rolled back the server to this morning on the safe side, and that seemed to fix things.
Midnight Ocean

[Mar 9, 2009 4:32:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Are the uploaded data sets themselves small enough that you can keep them around for datamining?

If you cannot keep all of them, can you at least keep one per island per day?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 9, 2009 5:18:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Disclaimer: I know very little about linux.

It might be possible to run some of it with Mono. See: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page. I doubt that would work though without modifying a few things in the client code. The client uses a few windows API calls to send mouse clicks and some other things. I'm not sure what we would replace those windows API calls with so that it would work under Mono.

The main windows API calls to find replacements for would be:
SendInput, GetClientRect, GetWindowRect, and SetForegroundWindow. There are some graphics API calls that I found faster to use than native .NET but I already have code to use the .NET way instead (which was about 25% slower).

Yuhu on Sage

Lets say I can give you a filename that holds a live tiff view of the java window (will be different each time, from deep inside /proc -- give me an open dialog and you're good), or a filename with a live tiff view of the screen (constant all the time). What else would you need?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 9, 2009 6:32:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Interesting idea. How would we auto-scroll the market area (scroll bar)?

Yuhu on Sage
[Mar 9, 2009 8:03:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

Are the uploaded data sets themselves small enough that you can keep them around for datamining?

If you cannot keep all of them, can you at least keep one per island per day?

I have every intention of going there. The live data for everything is less than 10Mb. I'm not sure what sort of quota we've got in production, but worst case I might be able to replicate things off somewhere else. Maybe V6... more likely this is a V7 feature.
[Mar 9, 2009 8:07:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

But the OCR program also needs control of the mouse pointer to scroll the market window down as it captures the screen. So just reading the window isn't enough :-(

EDIT: sniped because I didn't read all the posts
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Mar 9, 2009 10:11:37 PM]
[Mar 9, 2009 10:11:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
barlennan

The main windows API calls to find replacements for would be:
SendInput, GetClientRect, GetWindowRect, and SetForegroundWindow. There are some graphics API calls that I found faster to use than native .NET but I already have code to use the .NET way instead (which was about 25% slower).

Yuhu on Sage

It would be done somewhat differently. XQueryTree to find the window, XWarpPointer to move the mouse, XGetInputFocus (and XSetInputFocus) to pass around who receives keyboard input, some combination of XQueryPointer and XTranslateCoordinates to figure out where you are in a window and translate that into your own coordinate system, XRaiseWindow to move a window to the top (which is what I assume SetForegroundWindow does), etc.

However, this is definitely the HARD way to do it. There are toolkits such as 'Escher', which is an X library set written in java that would make this much simpler. I assume there are better choices than that, I found it in <15 seconds of googling.

Basically, windows under unix/linux aren't protected from each other in any way beyond complexity. You can grab the list of windows on the desktop, grab a handle to whichever you want, and start manipulating it any way you like. It may be easiest to grab the image of the window out of /proc, but other than that you use X calls to get the job done.
[Mar 10, 2009 12:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

I'm installing a linux virtual machine now to do some experimenting. The general approach I'm going to try is to run the client under mono and just replace the windows api calls somehow.

Yuhu on Sage
[Mar 10, 2009 7:43:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

I just got this error message about 5 minutes ago:

There was a database error. Please report what you were doing on the forums, and refer to error number 308886

I was attempting to upload market data from Harmattan (Cobalt), but had not got as far as confirming the ocean/island name.

I closed the client and re-opened it, and it worked after I had done that.
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Mar 11, 2009 1:37:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maxdsterling

I'm installing a linux virtual machine now to do some experimenting. The general approach I'm going to try is to run the client under mono and just replace the windows api calls somehow.

Yuhu on Sage

If you figure that out, I'd like to know how too, Quatermaster could use a 'nix port, and the api calls are the biggest sticking point.
Silverspoon
Retired Senior Officer of The Eternal Hydrae
Echidna's Children
[Mar 12, 2009 1:57:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

Ok, I'll let you know. So far I've been able to get the GUI for the ocr client up and running on linux (no scanning yet though). It did not work with Ubuntu with mono 1.9 on it. I'm now using the openSuse VMWare image with mono 2.2 from the mono website and that is working much better so far. I haven't tried replacing any windows api calls yet, that is the next step.

Yuhu on Sage
[Mar 12, 2009 6:51:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fjc7

It looks like the font used for market data when running on linux is different than when running on windows. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to change the font to Ariel 9 (same as what is used in Puzzle Pirates on windows)? I already tried changing the font in the Appearance settings in Linux to Ariel 9 and that didn't work.

I'd also be interested in knowing what font and size are used for market data when running on other platforms that support X Windows (especially Mac).

Edit: For Linux I'm running openSUSE in case that matters.

Yuhu on Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fjc7 at Mar 14, 2009 8:36:16 PM]
[Mar 14, 2009 8:22:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Arial is Windows-specific (True-Type Font), one of Microsoft's attempts to get their user base away from the generic universal fonts. Its closest equivalents on other platforoms are Helvetica and Verdana. If there's a way to check with the Mac or Linux clients of YPP on what those use, it might be worth a try.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Mar 15, 2009 9:31:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates