• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1460 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Meghaford

item ordering Reply to this Post

As it stands, whenever ye want to order something, you simply get a quote, order and whala, in a few hours your items are ready.

EXCEPT when there aren't enough commodities available... in which case you can't make an order. I'd like to see a warning message pop up, but I'd still like to be able to pre-order. This way I don't have to worry about it every time I get online! there are plenty of traders who will be bringing in goods... and this way the shop has more $ on hand to buy more commodities that it needs.
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 24, 2003 3:49:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: item ordering Reply to this Post

That's a good idea; that way the outstanding orders could be added to the "needed" commodities so that people trading would be able to fill orders & prevent shortages occurring - if everyone had ordered rum that day for example, then more sugar/wood/iron would be added to the want list to make those orders.
[May 24, 2003 3:57:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

If we could also see other pending orders which need work, or perhaps just how many hours before our order will be started, twould also be very useful :)
... and a few others ...
[May 24, 2003 4:30:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

i think in general, one of the most important aspects of human-computer-intereaction is error prevention, especially with aspects that influence you largely.
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 24, 2003 4:33:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spartacus

Shred the shirt Reply to this Post

I wouldn't mind seeing the option to 'shred' extra clothing items for cloth either. If I have a brown shirt and wanted brown boots, but they were out of brown cloth, the could dismantle the shirt for a percentage of however many commodities it took to make it initially.
[May 25, 2003 6:20:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I wouldn't mind being able to drop black powder bombs all over Alpha Island while dressed up like a character from Spy Vs Spy.

Pre-ordering goods would be an excellent addition and should work well with the planned queuing (or storing) of job time performed by players. The only problem I can see comes from a rich someone-or-other using the feature to monopolize on goods. Someone could load the queue with orders and keep everyone else from buying anything.

Maybe a daily limit on orders from unique persons would work, or add in some intelligent way for the game to prioritize which orders will be processed first.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ely at May 25, 2003 9:09:21 AM]
[May 25, 2003 9:09:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

We will be providing an "estimated time of completion" that accounts for other orders in the queue (which will be reported when you get a quote).

I like the idea of being able to pre-order, but that adds a fair bit more complexity to an already complex system, so it may not be something we can do in the near term.

I have also postponed a feature for automatic purchase of comomdities to fill orders (for example, if the tailor was buying cloth for 82 or more and the weaver were selling it for 82 or less, the tailor would automatically buy cloth needed for an order). It's not entirely clear if that would actually ever get used and it's non-trivial to implement, so it has been moved down the list.

We'll also be adding a way for shop owners to see all of the orders being processed in their shop which could conceivably allow them to prioritize the orders, but that won't likely be in the initial implementation.

When we implement the system of effecting your day's labor in a short period of time by performing the crafting puzzle (which may come sooner than we thought as we need similar support for another feature that's coming soon), we'll be providing the crafters with a display of the top few orders on the queue so that they can see their labor go toward the completion of those orders.

In any case, we shall tackle problems as they arise and hopefully make the best use of our limited resources to implement features that are actually useful and needed.
[May 25, 2003 2:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I would really like to see some changes to the whole labour system.

Im afraid that alot of players don't really understand the labour system. And of those that do few really care about it and will just work for the first shop they go into.
And I can't blame them, it's a pretty dang complex system you guys put in here, but it's really important to get the whooole economy wheel running.

How about randomly assign all open employment spots for players at logon, and then if they decide they want to work elsewhere then they can do so ofcourse.
Then everyone will truly contribute to the economy not just by buying and wondering why items aren't available.

Or perhaps a way for players to get an overview of where it's best to work. I have no clue myself where I get more paid, but im guessing it's the busy shops. I know stats aren't pretty, but some sort of top 10 or 20 of the shops that pay the most would be nice. As a shop owner I would even be willing to pay my staff a bonus per day/week/month they work for me as an extra incentive.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

samskivert wrote: 
We'll also be adding a way for shop owners to see all of the orders being processed in their shop which could conceivably allow them to prioritize the orders, but that won't likely be in the initial implementation.

My original thinking was "too exploitable", but then I realized that it fits in perfectly with being a manager. This will allow them to take bribes for speeding up an order (or slowing down a third party's). Perfect.

Regnor wrote: 
Or perhaps a way for players to get an overview of where it's best to work. I have no clue myself where I get more paid, but im guessing it's the busy shops. I know stats aren't pretty, but some sort of top 10 or 20 of the shops that pay the most would be nice. As a shop owner I would even be willing to pay my staff a bonus per day/week/month they work for me as an extra incentive.

I think that's where word of mouth and player run websites are going to come into play. An instantly updated top 10 list would be dominated by those ten shop owners who can micromanage the highest pay possible--and wouldn't those jobs fill up too fast, anyway?

Agreed on the rest, though. There is definitely some room for lots of streamlining within the commerce system.
[May 25, 2003 5:10:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Have shops advertise on the message board. You will be able to view the different jobs and their wages. Pirates looking for work will look here, and I'm sure a handy little hook help button will be provided for us confused pirates.

As for getting paid, are wages going to be popped directly into your pocketses or into the bank of the island on which you're working?
... and a few others ...
[May 25, 2003 10:37:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Labour Reply to this Post

I think some of the 'taking jobs' problem will be solved by feedback to the player with how much they earnt over the last week. Filling this piece in would pretty quickly get people taking and changing jobs. We were thinking of emailing this information in an (optional) weekly update.

I'm not sure that I'm keen on auto-jobbing folks, as the labour system is already pretty uninteractive for a bog-standard worker, it would be a shame to take out the one initial step of actually taking the job.

It has often occurred to me, though, that we will need an 'economy intro' a la the Intro Pirate at Sea. I think this could be accomplished by a shopkeeper at the first hiring shop the newbie pirate visits.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at May 26, 2003 1:55:07 AM]
[May 26, 2003 1:55:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Speaking of tutorials and all that... I appreciate the tips, but can we can a toggle for them in options?
[May 26, 2003 3:52:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

The tips stop showing up once you gain enough experience to move from Novice to Neophyte.
[May 26, 2003 9:40:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates