• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5390 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
Firien

Distilling pics Reply to this Post

Thought I'd start a thread on this; it can never match the carp one in numbers, but I'd like to see how close to full ccs other people get. I didn't quite get the 7th row :(

These are the two screenies the mac client text bug left alone enough to see the number; I didn't get a capture of the 6 as I was racing to get the 7th full.

PS can anyone host these for me for when I switch my computer off?

Edit: booched. People have had cc^11. Nuts!

Ah well, pictures are fun.
----------------------------------------
Aerias rawx! Visit her hugely stockedFULL tailor rack on Oyster!
-------
Now playing on Sage...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Firien at Jan 8, 2004 8:14:10 PM]
[Jan 8, 2004 8:14:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

Re: Distilling pics Reply to this Post

Not exactly booched, but this thread was already kinda covering the same thing.

The record is currently my CC^11

-Greenwolf
[Jan 8, 2004 9:17:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

I think Distilling will be a puzzle I will NEVER get the hang of....congrats to all out there that can even get two lines of CC in a row.
Hermit Smurrf
[Jan 8, 2004 11:04:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

Nice. Just a dang old shame it didn't count for any orders.
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Jan 9, 2004 12:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firien

Aye - tho about 80% of the time I come in it doesn't count for orders, I guess there's a lot of distillers on ep.

I'm just trying for my ultimate!
-------
Now playing on Sage...
[Jan 9, 2004 1:10:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

tommy wrote: 
The record is currently my CC^11

That's insane.

My record is CC^9, and I didn't have enough pieces left to form another line (yeah, I could keep shifting, but I can't shift my block left as fast as the puzzle moves - though I'd love to get just one solid block of crystal clear and finish like that)

I guess that's why I'm only #6. ;-)
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Jan 9, 2004 4:23:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
54x

CC^12 is the limit, because that will fill the glass no matter what you do. CC^11 is definately quite insane... I assume it took a lot of luck to do it?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Vang_

The best results I've gotten is a CC^8. I couldn't get the last piece in the 9th line to get a CC^9. It's pretty hard to get up that high, though. Maybe I should draw the pieces back more to the left early on...
[Jan 13, 2004 1:13:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

I've never been able to go past CC^6, but then I'm always wary of burning spices in favor of making a CC.

What's the consensus : is it better to burn a spice to form the logest CC chain possible, or is it best to use all the spices available while limiting yerself to CC^3 or ^2.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Jan 13, 2004 2:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Burn the spice.

atteSmythe,
who recently got only an Excellent with a ^4 as his shortest chain

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jan 13, 2004 2:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Aye, but I think yer contradicting yerself there. I often preserve my spice and form smaller chains, but I rarely get lower than incredible. So I know that it isn't worth it to burn spices to form a CC^6, but what about the huge chains? And how much spice do ye burn before making that chain doesn't make up fer all that wasted spice.
Hermes wrote: 
silverkitty wrote: 

[Jan 13, 2004 2:47:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

No, I was just being overly terse - I kept my chains small specifically so that I could use the spice, whereas I usually do much better by burning spice and making longer chains.

That is - if I can get Excellent by using spice and getting short chains, or incredible by not even noticing where the spice is and go for the longest chains possible, I think the effect of burning spice is negligible. Especially when you consider that very long chains are practically guaranteed to have spice embedded in 'em.

atteSmythe,
who should just type out everything in his head more often

[Jan 13, 2004 3:15:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Buckley

Like Atte said...

Burn as many spices as it takes make your consecutive CC's, if spices conveniently fit in... then use them... otherwise, I just pay attention to spices when it gets toward the end... say I did a cc6 and a cc5, then I have one row left to do... so I'll try and set up the next spice row... otherwise... spices are nice, but definitely secondary to the consecutive CC's.

- Buck
[Jan 13, 2004 3:28:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

Just make sure ye have two CC sets that will end the round - i.e. get a CC^7 and a CC^5, or two CC^6s, or a CC^8 and a CC^4, etc.

Then to get on the top 10, do that about 300 times.
-Cahrin
[Jan 13, 2004 5:27:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Since I can't even get a CC^3, and given the breadth of the field, realize that I'll need to get better than that to up my rating to Renowned...

I'm going to not bother. I'll Distill once a week to keep my labor there, but as it stands, it really is not worth it.
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Jan 13, 2004 10:54:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
dracai

My personal best is CC^12, which ended the game. Has anyone else been able to do this?

Dracai
Captain of the calico marauders
King of the flag of doom
Dracai
Captain of the Calico Marauders
Prince of the flag of doom
[Edit 1 times, last edit by dracai at Jan 16, 2004 7:32:02 AM]
[Jan 16, 2004 7:32:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

Arrrr, ye scurvy dog, ye beat me to the grail.

I think yer the first, or we'd have heard the braggin by now. Part of the problem is that CC^12 requires both luck and skill. There is no way to know if enough white pieces will 'spawn' at the time you are forced to start sending up your CCs.

I haven't had a CC^12 yet, but I've had a few 11s, even more 10s, and I can get 9s consistently.

-Greenwolf
[Jan 16, 2004 7:52:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

What? No spicy?

atteSmythe,
with tongue firmly in cheek

[Jan 16, 2004 7:57:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

holey moley.. my personal best was a CC^8 and I was pretty darn happy abt that..

No wonder I'm only a legendary..
[Jan 19, 2004 2:49:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

FFS

I'm definately staying grandmaster.

Although I do find it helps when you use the yellow and blacks to move whites over from the OTHER SIDE of your stack. You do, however, need ones at the correct height. And burned pieces are the devil.

EDIT: not only am I colourblind, apparantly I'm forgetting the names of the colours. Next time I say red is yellow, someone hit me. Thanks.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

Whats FFS?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Don't get discouraged. My personal best is CC^8, and I'm #10 on the Diamond arch list. Will I get much further up? I'm not too sure, but dmaned if I'm not going to try.
Hermes wrote: 
silverkitty wrote: 

[Jan 19, 2004 7:50:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
dracai

Just for you atteSmythe :p

umm now thats over... dont worry about the top 10. my mate has made it to 5th place in the ocean and generally only does CC^6 -> CC^8. Ye should generally just shoot for the finish in 2 combos of CC and forget about spice. That is the best way to make it to the top 10.

Dracai
Captain of the calico marauders
King of the flag of doom
Dracai
Captain of the Calico Marauders
Prince of the flag of doom
[Jan 20, 2004 5:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firien

In a way, this seems a bit off.

Granted, if ye can get cc^12, ye're skilled, and congratulations to ye. But then again, the rum ye produce has maybe 3 spice in, on average. So the flagon of rum ye produce has a hint of spice in it.

The distiller standing to yer left there isn't as fast as you on piece shuffling, but is still getting all crystal clears sent up to the top. They're getting maybe a couple of cc^2, or cc^3, but not much higher except with a lucky scatter of pieces. THEY're getting every spice that comes through into the rum through, leading to a richer flagon of rum, with still no black or even yellow pieces.

So even though their rum is better than yours, they're getting worse ratings; excellent instead of incredible.

Surely spice should be worth more? Granted, the amount of spice in a flagon depends on what comes to ye from the still, but... drink bland rum? Fine, it says, fine! Rich! Spicy! Surely!
-------
Now playing on Sage...
[Jan 20, 2004 10:08:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

[quote]Just for you atteSmythe :p[quote]

*eyes bulging*

And how many tries did that take?

You people are insane! Insane I tell ya!!

ps: personal best now CC^9!

/me jumps for joy
[Jan 20, 2004 2:01:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Whats FFS?

For frick's sake, ie. "how the leaping leprechauns did you do that?"

As for spice... I think it's really more there to throw a bone to beginning player than as a main scoring mechanism. It is much harder to get consecutive CCs than to throw a spice into your brew... consider the difference between sending a lot of pieces up a pipe that recently hasn't been burning anything, and constantly burning junk between sending pieces up.

And I'm still sour. My record is CC^5.
from Midnight.
[Jan 20, 2004 3:33:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Vang_

Firien wrote: 
In a way, this seems a bit off.

Granted, if ye can get cc^12, ye're skilled, and congratulations to ye. But then again, the rum ye produce has maybe 3 spice in, on average. So the flagon of rum ye produce has a hint of spice in it.

The distiller standing to yer left there isn't as fast as you on piece shuffling, but is still getting all crystal clears sent up to the top. They're getting maybe a couple of cc^2, or cc^3, but not much higher except with a lucky scatter of pieces. THEY're getting every spice that comes through into the rum through, leading to a richer flagon of rum, with still no black or even yellow pieces.

So even though their rum is better than yours, they're getting worse ratings; excellent instead of incredible.

Surely spice should be worth more? Granted, the amount of spice in a flagon depends on what comes to ye from the still, but... drink bland rum? Fine, it says, fine! Rich! Spicy! Surely!

This is a puzzle game. It takes more skill to get a 2 CC^6s than it does to get 6 CC^2s with spice in many of them. Skill should be rewarded, not realism.
[Jan 21, 2004 2:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Vang_ wrote: 
This is a puzzle game. It takes more skill to get a 2 CC^6s than it does to get 6 CC^2s with spice in many of them. Skill should be rewarded, not realism.

You're implying that it takes more skill to line up large CCs than it is to do a steady stream of small CCs with spice.

I dunno. The first metaphor that pops up in my head involves sex, and, uh. I don't want to explain it.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Jan 21, 2004 3:13:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Thesis wrote: 
The first metaphor that pops up in my head involves sex, and, uh. I don't want to explain it.

Har, it's not the amount of yer spice, it's how ye use it!

Er, yeah.

I suppose it's a matter of whether the goal is to do "harder" (hey, enough innuendo!) things in the puzzle, or to do things that produce "better" rum, or things that produce that rum more quickly. The two CC^6 will produce the same quality rum as the six CC^2, but it will take longer to set that up, and will be more difficult to do.

I suck (stop that!) at the distillery puzzle, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. :)
[Jan 21, 2004 3:21:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Actually, Thesis, I found it much easier to only send crystal clears into the mix sporadically, making sure to use as much spice as possible. It was trying to get even a CC^2 or CC^3 that was a lot harder.

Absolutely 1 CC^12 should be the highest scoring mix, regardless of wasted spice.

I'd envision it this way:

White Pieces = +2
Brown pieces = 0
Black pieces = -2
Spice = +8
CC = +2, CC+2

implying that consecutive CC's provide increasing bonuses.

So it's been so long that I forget how many pieces are in a distilling row, I think it's 9, so 9 White pieces score 20. 8 white pieces and a spice score 24. So it would be worth more to work with the spice than with all white pieces, even 5 white, a spice and 3 brown still scores almost the same as one CC.

However, as you get more CC's, its bonus increases, making a CC^12 worth blatantly more than 6 CC^2s even if you use all the spice.

This way, you get rewarded nicely for using spice, and getting CC^3's several times still scores pretty high, but managing to put together a CC^12 still nets you a much better score.
[Jan 21, 2004 3:26:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates