• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1497 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
micklauer

The Art of Piracy: 4 Years of Y!PP Artistry Reply to this Post

(Consider this a petition of sorts...)

The Art of Piracy: 4 Years of Y!PP Artistry

The Proposal
A soft cover book containing the development art and fan art of the game, dating back to its origins. This could include everything from level design sketches to notable contest entries. I was thinking the book could be 100 - 200 pages, with page sizes around 8" x 10".

The Plan(s)
Plan A ~ Everyone at Three Rings sees this and says, "Thank the Gods! Someone finally brought this up!" Then all the 000 arrrtists toss in a pile of art for the "Book Committee" to sort through. The committee gathers the appropriate info and quotes from the artists. They then search through all the art of the fans across the years. Everything is voted on, and everyone is happy. I would then work with a team to design the entire book, or perhaps we'd hold some kind of design contest. In this scenario funding comes from 000, and labor from us (similar to the Crafting Puzzle contest).

Plan B ~ The forces that be at Three Rings read this post and shake their heads saying, "What the hades is this guy snorting!" At that point the book funding and art falls soley into the hands of those who wish for such a project to take wing. Artists who wish to contribute art would also have to help fund the project. I would still be very happy to design the layout (and even happier to enlist the help of others). With this scenario we obviously need to gain permission from Three Rings if we plan to sell the books to cover costs...perhaps if there is a profit to be made we could donate it to a charity or to Three Rings.

Thoughts?

lub,

kizzle
----------------------------------------
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Dec 15, 2006 9:07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Torenn

Re: The Art of Piracy: 4 Years of Y!PP Artistry Reply to this Post

I love it! And I also think that people donating would be good, as if many people donated even a small amount it would come together to be enough.
Torenn everywhere, but mainly on Midnight.
[Dec 15, 2006 9:12:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flepnerg

Sounds like and amazing idea!
~Surmuck
Wanting to make this work out!
~Surmuck
Viridian
[Dec 17, 2006 7:05:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Viper

Personally I dont see this working, the general quality of the art produced for y!PP (and yes I know some of the artist here do amazing works) is some what low, in comparison to other books of this type.
I would fear that the book wouldnt make any money as only a few copies would probably sell, and you would end up making a loss.

Currently the WIKI has pages dedicated to the art from y!PP, you could try collaberating with the WIKI people and see advance the current pages. You would, I believe, need to permissions from the original artists, or at least OOO, as OOO owns the rights to the art work produced for the comp' etc on the forums.

Now at least IMO the wiki would be the way to go for you, it would be easier to maintain and you wouldnt have to worry about getting each artist to write a peice about their work, then have them email it to you, then you put it in the book. You could set the page up with the images and then ask the artist to post their comments when they have free time.

just a suggestion :)
DarkViper
-------------------------------
Tropical fish
[Dec 18, 2006 10:18:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.studzworld.com [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Given the vast number of online self-publishing options available, it doesn't seem like there should be an upfront cost associated with this. Assuming you get OOO's permission, design and set up the book and sell it on lulu or somesuch at cost. It's not full offset printing, but it'll still look very much like a real book.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Dec 18, 2006 10:51:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

@ DV: The point of this book wasn't really to make money. My target audience was Y!PP netizens. And while the quality is part of the issue, it certainly isn't the premise.

I figured it would be nice to have a history of where the art generaed (i.e. the 000 team art) to preface the bulk of the work which would be pirate art.

I could see plenty of artists and patrons (folks who've purchased lots of avvies wanting to fund a book of Y!PP art, depending on cost.

And while the wiki is great, a solid book is just nicer.

@ jasa: Agreed. I have to look furthr into cost. And once I do, I'll set up a more complete proposal for contributors and those who like a copy.

@ all: I'll look into rights.
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Dec 18, 2006 11:26:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates