• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1036 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Meghaford

map jumping Reply to this Post

Map jumping is, of course a wonderful thing... but I feel as if it's taking away from the social aspect of the game. It seems too easy to just make a quick jump to wherever you need to go, bypassing the group of scallywags who are usually standing around on the dockside.
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 23, 2003 11:12:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: map jumping Reply to this Post

I think it's great, and in fact encourages people to get their business done more quickly, so they can spend more time together.

I've never played a game that made me think, "Wow, I sure am glad I had to walk all that way" . . . and with the screen loading and shifting, it takes a while.

Of course, ye do have the option of not using the map.
[May 24, 2003 12:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

I think it will lead to more time being spent in the taverns, rather than sitting around the docks. Which is a good thing for everyone. It'll create less lag for those walking around the streets NPP hunting, and it will create less lag for those just interested in talking, or dueling, or whatever, since if they're in the tavern they wont have NPPs traipsing by constantly.

I can envision people using the map jump as a game in itself, hide and go seek, or tag, or something along those lines
[May 24, 2003 1:41:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Map jumping Reply to this Post

I think it's rather good for the social aspect - you can still check to see if anyone is at the docks, but if you see someone is in a shop you can now get there before they disappear again, so it's easier to meet the people you want to.

The docks have been getting rather overcrowded, and I seem to have spent ages the last few days telling half a dozen new players in a row that sorry, I do not want a swordfight/to trade clothes because I'm busy looking for npp's or ordering rum. Sometimes I have a challenge on my panel before the screen has even cleared to show the island! It's a bit off-putting but I hate being rude and just rejecting them, so end up typing an explanation for each challenge I turn down - even if it's just "Sorry, busy".

So if there's a quicker route than weaving through the groups on the docks I'm all for it! I will still (obviously - you know me!) hang about chatting when I'm not busy, but I stand a better chance of getting organised and out on the seas if I can do a jump to order me rum & then collect any npp's I need on the way back, without as many interruptions.
[May 24, 2003 2:14:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

See other thread Reply to this Post

Oops, I just posted my thoughts on this to the 'realism' thread.
[May 24, 2003 10:16:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I love the new map and its usability, and once there's a greater population in the Azure we should see the inns and taverns being used more.

There are also plenty of ways to get people on the streets and wandering, if that is desired, without removing the teleporting. Give people an incentive (and not a necessity) to wander or walk around outside and they'll do it.
[May 24, 2003 11:42:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates