• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2933 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Nemoder

NPPs too tough? Reply to this Post

Is it just me being extremely unlucky or are the latest round of NPPs a little better than they should be?
We outnumbered them 6 to 4 and had at least two cannon hits on them and no damage ourselves but the battle ended up like this!
I like a challenge but this is a bit much!
Do they even have to deal with the puzzles like we do or do they just have certain attack patterns coded in?
[May 23, 2003 9:45:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: NPPs too tough? Reply to this Post

I took a full sloop out of PP's yesterday, right after release and, despite finding fewer ships than usual, found them to be not too easy, but with teamwork, we shot them down one by one.

What was worse tho was finding 2 ships witch gave us 0 booty and 0 goods!! One was a Navy ship (is this a coincidence?)
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 23, 2003 11:09:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I'd suggest hiring better NPP's to do your fighting... able fighters will be knocked out very quickly
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 23, 2003 11:10:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemoder

Aye, I knew some of them weren't too good but I was still supprised at how quickly that battle ended. I think what I really need is to see a swordfight from both sides to learn what the exact effects of combos etc are, although with the AI I still say there's something fishy going on. Sometimes I'd see allies' fields fill up very quickly but no changes to the enemy fields, maybe it was justs slow to update or laggy but it's enough to make me wonder.
[May 24, 2003 12:29:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

It's already been established that the NPP's don't "play" the game. They do have to react to what we send them, but only relative to their abilities. They don't place pieces like we do.
[May 24, 2003 3:14:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

aye Reply to this Post

navy ships give very little poe
[May 24, 2003 7:12:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

We be havin' no problem with the npps once we got used to it. (Well, exceptin' one cannon incident... *Aherm cough*) The ships are spares on some routes, though. We sacked about every ship we could put our sea legs on.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 24, 2003 7:17:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

NPPs Reply to this Post

The Brigands are distributed in skill by a pretty generous algorithm -- in taking away the dumb tradeships, we wanted to make sure that there were lots of fairly dozy Brigands about for the pillaging. Those guys that you encountered above (nice screenshot) were Ultimate -- real Ultimate -- the sort that cost ~400 PoE and up an hour. So it's not too surprisingly that they beat you. There aren't so many of these crews sailing about, so hopefully folks will come to recognise them. They will also accumulate a lot of booty, becoming veyr lucrative for the people who do take them out, like the skellies.
[May 25, 2003 12:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

I know Silverbeard mentioned it before, as have others... WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO CATCH THESE NPP SHIPS? Apparently they can read my mind. ARRRR! (And I'm a pretty damn good "chaser")

Blackdeath
[May 27, 2003 12:01:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

Well once again, the game has frustrated me to the point of stopping play. I attacked 5 different ships, and couldn't catch one. When I stopped, they stopped, when I moved they moved. I move on the second turn of each round, they move on the first, or third. When I'm not close to them, they make dumb-ass moves, when I get close, they become expert sailors.

I'm going to play the new American Idol game... at least it makes me feel good about myself.

Blackdeath
[May 27, 2003 12:08:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

It's an annoying issue, balancing ease of NPP contact with reasonable intelligence. I've found this to be helpful, though:
Usually, NPP captains that are good enough to constantly elude you will actually want to make contact and you will be able to if you let them. Just sit there.
I have another idea, but I think I'll run it by the office first...

-Nemo
[May 27, 2003 2:01:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates