• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2149 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Aestro

Nitpicking at the foil Reply to this Post

Well...I'm a fencer in real life, so this is a tad troublesome to me. The sword I was given was a foil with a handguard. I have two main problems with this:

1. A foil typically does not have a handguard. Normally, the wielder wears a thick gauntlet to protect the hand, relies on the bellguard for some protection, and above all else uses the weapon (and distance, but you can't equip that :-P) for defense. The handguard would typically cause some problem in holding the weapon, and normally only exists on sabres within the fencing world. Granted, some foils DID have handguards, but they were more in the line of metal weaving about the hand rather than the clunky extension off of the bellguard.

2. The foil was mostly a weapon for "nobles" - everyone knows pirates loved the cutlass and daggers. The foil was very linear and used namely for stabbing - not at all good for the all-out melees that took part aboard ships. They were namely for the nobles to settle disputes or the like, and often spent many, many years in school learning how to fence.

Sure, I'm nitpicking, especially for an alpha game, but I figured that's what we're here for. Besides, what's a stereotypical pirate without a stereotypical cutlass? :-P
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Re: Nitpicking at the foil Reply to this Post

The 'Foil' was called the 'Fencing Sword' before the latest update.

Do you really want to go back to that?
----------------------------------------
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aestro

*shudder* never...but I think the main problem is - pirates don't fence. They swashbuckle. :-P
Meghaford

Aye, all the more reason to stash the foil in a deep cave somewhere and find a REAL fighting weapon!
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 23, 2003 11:05:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

since that do be the 'basic sword' - maybe change the images and call it either a 'rusty dagger' or 'wooden sword' - both of which have connations of a basic giveaway thing that you'd only use if it be all ye have.
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 23, 2003 11:23:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Keep in mind there will be nobles in the game, though. And merchants, and marines, and craftsmen. It needs to fit somewhere, but not just with pirates.
[May 24, 2003 12:18:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates