• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 284
Posts: 284   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 55236 times and has 283 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

[Contest]December Daily Doodles Reply to this Post

December Daily Doodles

When: December
What: a holiday-themed month of fun and frolics, a new contest every weekday for a month
Who for: everyone
Who by: Apollo

I've only just recovered from last year's event, but we're about to start again, and once more I've got a busy month ahead for you! Every weekday, at or soon after midnight PST, I will post a creative contest. Most of these contests will be forum-based and will require entries the same day. At the next midnight, I'll close one contest and announce the next one. There will be a variety of prizes during the month and they won't be pre-announced.

There will be multiple forum threads for this event. This thread will contain a running summary of events, winners and prizes. I will then open a new entry thread each week. Last year, it was all in one thread, but it really got unwieldy by the end of the month!

There will also be a couple of weekend events as well, and those will be posted separately.

One weekday per week will be a tournament day. I strongly suggest you don't ignore these. The top prize will be NICE. ;)

>--------------------<

The general rules for the forum contests are as follows.
-- Only one entry per player in each day's contest, but you may enter as many different contests as you wish during the month.
-- You must include your pirate name and ocean at the top of your entry post. Make sure you use the pirate and ocean for which you would want to receive a prize.
-- I will try to make the instructions clear for each contest. Unless I've made a serious booch, I'm not going to be answering questions during the day. Just read the instructions and have a go at following them.
-- The entry thread is going to be busy enough without chat. Keep the entry thread just for entries please!
-- The general rules on avoiding tasteless or offensive material apply at all times on this forum but I'm mentioning them again here just in case.
-- Judging will be completed as soon as possible after the contest has closed, and certainly within a day of the contest closing. I will post the winner and the prize in the following post once judging is complete. At any one time, therefore, there is likely to be one contest open for entries and one contest being judged.
-- I'll be doing most of the judging, bringing in others as and when I feel I need them. There will be lots of events, though, and I'm not going to get into discussions on the judging on any individual event.
-- I will try to deliver prizes myself as I announce them.
-- Don't get hung up on the prizes. Last year we had over 300 people taking part, and only about 20 won prizes during the month. Take part because it looks fun, it's an interesting challenge, and it's an opportunity to share your quick-fire skills with your fellow players!

>--------------------<

That's it for now. Look for the first event announcement in a little over 8 hours!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Nov 30, 2006 3:21:43 PM]
[Nov 30, 2006 3:21:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: [Contest]December Daily Doodles Reply to this Post

This post will contain the event links and winners for the month.

December 1: Achievements! Entry thread. Winners. Mollee of Cobalt and Hedvvig of Hunter.
December 2: Weekend Toast Fun with Glaucus! Entry Thread.
December 4: A Trophy Life. Entry thread. Winners. Shazbot of Midnight.
December 5: Location, Location, Location. Entry Thread. Winners. Phoenix of Viridian, and Javory of Viridian.
December 6: Shake Yer Limericks. Entry thread. Winners. Noheart of Cobalt and Francisgrace of Midnight.
December 7: Familiar treasure drop tournaments. Announcement post.
December 8: Deck the Forum! Entry Thread. Winners. Hedvvig of Hunter, and Salmon of Cobalt.
December 9: Weekend avatar fun with Hephaestus and Aphrodite. Entry thread.
December 11: i petite u!!1! Entry Thread. Winners. Jsweetie of Midnight and Pareia of Viridian.
Dcember 12: Coat of Arms Winners. Starhunter of Viridian.
December 13: Familiar Swordfighting Tournaments. Announcement post.
December 14: Parodies Lost. Entry Thread. Winners. Gordogato of Midnight.
December 15: Expanding the Inventory. Entry Thread. Winners. Hawkings of Viridian.
December 16: Weekend conspiracy theory fun with Eurydice! Contest thread.
December 18: Return to Cento. Entry Thread. Winners: Zaza of Cobalt.
December 19: Familiar rumbling tournaments!
December 20: Sibling Rivalry. Entry Thread. Winners: Oracle of Sage, and Pixieboot of Midnight.
December 21: Parodies Regained! Entry Thread. Winners: Kingpriam of Midnight.
December 22: Thank Fuzzy It's Friday! Entry Thread.
December 23: Weekend comic fun with Bia! Contest thread.
December 25: Recycle, Recycle, Recycle! Entry Thread. Winners. Casiopia of Cobalt.
December 26: Cocktail Haiku. Entry Thread. Winners. Kinja of Cobalt and Feylind of Midnight.
December 27: Familiar Drinking Tournaments! Announcement post.
December 28: Labor Day. Entry Thread. Winners: Cassis of Sage.
December 29: The Doodle Reloaded. Entry Thread. Winners: Gwiddon of Sage and Yetidave of Midnight.
December 30: Weekend Voguing fun with, er, Apollo! Contest Thread.
[Edit 51 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 30, 2006 12:42:32 PM]
[Nov 30, 2006 3:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Hawt, the ocean could use more fruitcake.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Nov 30, 2006 6:32:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

/me installs tablet

Yaaaaay, it's back!
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Dec 1, 2006 12:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Can I possibly get a link to the Artpad site? Or whatever site you want me to use?

Or am I just reading this wrong as Artpad means drawing....
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Dec 1, 2006 12:28:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I did a search for Artpad and I am hoping this is the right link:
http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/
except that, I thought I had seen a pencil drawing when I looked at last year's entries and now all I see is a paintbrush (of course I could be totally mistaken :) ) This will be a fine challenge indeed, drawing with a mouse. Good luck all!
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 1, 2006 12:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Doh, sorry. That should have been in the contest post.

http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter (to confirm).

And also, re pencil - move the size slider over to its thinnest setting. :)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 1, 2006 12:55:32 AM]
[Dec 1, 2006 12:53:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

i just went and peeked at the entries from last year to get the link
pretty interesting program :)

Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Dec 1, 2006 3:10:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Could I remind people please to include their pirate name and ocean in their posts, as you're not eligible for a prize if you don't. If you need to add this information, use the Edit button on the top left of your post, rather than adding a new post.

Thank you!
[Dec 1, 2006 1:17:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Because of the expected downtime of the forums for the last two or three hours or this contest, I'm going to close the day 1 contest somewhat late to allow a little extra time for those unable to post till close to Midnight.
[Dec 1, 2006 3:01:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

That was a fun experience - using the mouse on the artpad is indeed tough - my first attempt wasn't that great (of course it was around 4am) I just went back and tried it again, and I am much happier with the results. I edited my post and changed the link - I am assuming that we can edit our entries all the way up until the contest closes, correct?
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 1, 2006 8:40:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

That was a fun experience - using the mouse on the artpad is indeed tough - my first attempt wasn't that great (of course it was around 4am) I just went back and tried it again, and I am much happier with the results. I edited my post and changed the link - I am assuming that we can edit our entries all the way up until the contest closes, correct?
Aye, of course. Just don't change it after the contest closes.
[Dec 2, 2006 12:16:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

So is the reward handed at the end of the week? how many prize are going to be handed on the prize day?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 2, 2006 12:27:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

So is the reward handed at the end of the week? how many prize are going to be handed on the prize day?
Read the original post.
[Dec 2, 2006 12:28:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

/me shakes her hook at Apollo for locking the thread 3 minutes before she posted her first round entry.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Dec 2, 2006 6:37:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

/me shakes her hook at Apollo for locking the thread 3 minutes before she posted her first round entry.

Aw, sorry mate. I've unlocked again if you want to post. I know it was difficult for people with the forums out for so long last night. We'd love to see what you've done, though, even if you can't win the prize.
[Dec 2, 2006 7:00:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

lolz

these are awesome!!

so you started plannin on "january jots" and "february films"?

dese r teh hawtness

kp!
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Edit 1 times, last edit by micklauer at Dec 4, 2006 8:02:13 AM]
[Dec 4, 2006 7:57:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: the Day Late and PoE Short Trophy.

I want that one for the T-Shirt Design Contest. At least I didn't experiment with other forum jokes today. Yikes.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Dec 4, 2006 10:10:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Sorry all - didn't mean to get ye all excited - I merely have a question...
I know winners will be edited into the 2nd post of this thread - will there also be a post too? In other words... posts change the icon from grey to red or blue but edits do not - I want to know if I should bother killing the refresh button on this thread or just on my favorite threads page.
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 4, 2006 10:45:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I will also post at the end of the relevant contest each time, and link to that post from the second post in this thread.

Normally, results will be up within a day. I had a busy weekend, though, and am still finishing the Day 1 judging this morning!
[Dec 4, 2006 10:50:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

I will also post at the end of the relevant contest each time, and link to that post from the second post in this thread.

Normally, results will be up within a day. I had a busy weekend, though, and am still finishing the Day 1 judging this morning!

that's why it's been so dark lately...the sun was nursing a hangover... ;0

kp
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Dec 4, 2006 2:25:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

kp

Shhhhhhh!
[Dec 4, 2006 3:07:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Nah mate - he's been partying here.......and nursing a hangover.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Dec 4, 2006 3:09:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Yay! My first ever doodle and experience with artpad and I got honorable mention - that's encouraging :D
Way to go on that, everyone - Apollo's right - it really has been a great year!
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Dec 4, 2006 5:02:33 PM]
[Dec 4, 2006 4:33:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Yay! I couldn't agree more with your selections Apollo. Those entries were fantastic to watch unfold. Thanks for the honorable mention too. :D
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Dec 4, 2006 6:45:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

This was a lot of fun :)
Kind of wish I'd taken the time to put more detail into my drawing, but it was 2 am, and...yeah...
The other entries were really good. I thought yours^, Nordenx, was especially cute.

Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Dec 4, 2006 7:55:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

*squee* the orchid is perfect, thanks ! *squeezes apollo!* ^.^
I sometimes do avatars!
I do believe in fairies!!!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[Dec 4, 2006 8:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Does anyone have good suggestions for an art program to use? (preferably free and easy to use) I don't have photoshop (and I am not going to buy it just for these contests :P) I had to use three different programs for the little icon sized piece for today's trophy contest - and still the results are not what I would like. I don't want to do that for any other contests.
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 4, 2006 10:04:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lizperk23

I use a combination of MS Paint and GIMP. (Usually start in paint, edit in GIMP with layers and transparency capabilities, and then merge all the layers into one, copy/paste back into Paint and save.) I don't know if that's the easiest method (I'm sure it's not) but GIMP seems to have a lot of capabilities, it's free, and after some getting used to, isn't too bad to use...

I don't have a link, but google GIMP and it will come up. Plus there seem to be many tutorials out there. hope it's helpful!

JL
"Yohoho the winds blow free-oh for the life of the rolling sea!"
Jollylady on Viridian
[Dec 4, 2006 10:18:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

It's not quite the same, but Artrage is fun (and will probably be used later in the month, if you want to get some sneaky testing in).
[Dec 4, 2006 11:59:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 284   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates