• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1929 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
KingOfZeal

Officer Training Blockades

What's that? Officer Training? And Blockades? Combined?

Yes! That's right, you heard correct.

The Caper's Capers Event Commitee has planned a series of Event Blockades with one purpose: training new officers on the basics of Battle Navigation.

Our current planning:
Weekly event blockades, hosted at our island, Winter Solstice. These blockades will hold the following format (to begin with, anyway):

• Non-sinking, Non Removal
  • Cannons inneffective
  • Ignore Alliances
  • 1-3 Rounds
  • Normal Obsticles
  • Sloop only

These blockade settings are chosen to best help emulate actual battle conditions, and to help people understand the basics of the Battle Navigation system including:

• Token Generation
  • Obsticles (Wind, Whirlpools, Rocks, Edge of Board, other ships)
  • Movement combinations
  • Movement prediction (for other ships)

All that, without risk to ship or morale.

It is encouraged that if you are a new officer, or there is a new officer in your crew in need of training, bring a sloop to Winter Solstice, and participate! Since this is an event blockade, influence isn't necessary, but the extra hands certinly do help. You don't have to be a trainee officer to participate, but those experienced officers who do join, please be respectful of other ships, as they may be. We don't want to discourage new officers, now do we?

These blockades will begin on Wednesday, November 22, with a notification 2 hours prior. Current planned time is for 1-2pm PST. We are also planning on continuing these event blockades every week, with varying degrees of difficulty.
----------------------------------------
Yamorg, Captain and Navigator
Founder, Privately Funded Pirates Association©
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by KingOfZeal at Nov 23, 2006 3:13:59 PM]
[Nov 19, 2006 4:39:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Officer Training Blockades

Will you be using a /jcrew channel to provide commentary and instruction to the new navs, or is it just a playground for them to explore the mechanics?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Nov 20, 2006 10:48:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Will you be using a /jcrew channel to provide commentary and instruction to the new navs, or is it just a playground for them to explore the mechanics?

This is just a playground, really. We will be doing limited jobbing, except for those who need a ship to nav - we will be trying to keep a number of ships stocked and ready for those who need them, but for the most part it's encouraged that you bring your own ship, stock and crew.
Midnight Ocean

[14:37:38] Mystere says, "Those without a barnacle , please come aboard the Pretty Gar"

[Nov 20, 2006 12:04:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
sarahbert

These blockades will begin on Wednesday, November 22, with a notification 2 hours prior. Current planned time is for 1-2pm PST. We are also planning on continuing these event blockades every week, with varying degrees of difficulty.
What a great idea. If it's feasible, it'd be great if you could vary the times on different weeks. I'm in PST and I work Wednesdays, which means early afternoon is kinda tough.
Melarma
(Midnight)
[Nov 20, 2006 5:42:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

What a great idea. If it's feasible, it'd be great if you could vary the times on different weeks. I'm in PST and I work Wednesdays, which means early afternoon is kinda tough.

This is also in the works. Our flag has people from both the US and Europe: because of this, we are painfully aware of the time difference, and will change times around. Some of the smaller details (like the various difficulties I mentioned), time zones, etc, are still being worked out. But, do keep an eye out for the Winter Solstice event blockade every Wednesday. I (and hopefully most of the event commitee as well) should be online when the notification goes up, to answer any questions people may have about this.
Midnight Ocean

[Nov 20, 2006 6:10:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
Fallenheart

Is there going to be someone who will help us learn what we did wrong or what we can work on?
[Nov 22, 2006 9:58:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingOfZeal

Is there going to be someone who will help us learn what we did wrong or what we can work on?

I STRONGLY suggest and encourage officers in your crew, who are willing to help out, to join you; they can take you through your crew's individual training program.

In this past blockade, there was nothing that went wrong, except for one ship that sank (me), one ship that was abandoned (also me), and some jobbers (on my ship) who didn't understand commitment.

We are only offering the means for a safe place for officer training; we will only train our own, unless someone would like to learn something one of our current ships is trying to learn (for example, Whirlys).

We can give you the helm of a ship, to do what you want and learn from your mistakes, with literally no risk to yourself or the ship. This is also strictly a Battle Navigation simulation: there are a few things in addition to bnav that you may need to learn about as an officer, but as I said earlier, I strongly suggest getting formal training from your own crew.
Midnight Ocean

[Nov 23, 2006 5:51:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    KingOfZeal [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates